Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Abstract Thinking

Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 10:12:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
If you think you can, apply a mystical interpretation to the following text and write it out. In other words, create the central thesis for a religion based on this song.

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round,
round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
all through the town.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 10:14:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
How is this abstract thinking. This looks like nonsense.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 10:19:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 10:12:32 PM, Freeman wrote:
If you think you can, apply a mystical interpretation to the following text and write it out. In other words, create the central thesis for a religion based on this song.

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round,
round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
all through the town.

wheels on the bus = wheels of existence = they spin on in every "thing"....

The wheels on the bus are one manifestation of the wheels of time, space, and life, the wheels that make up the universe...

they keep on going spinning, their eternal spinning, through everything... round and round...

ALL THROUGH THE TOWN
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 10:22:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
late at night + wine = abstract thinking :) ....

though I Guess marijawana (or more extravagant drugs) would prolly be better for that kind of thing
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 10:24:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 10:19:07 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:12:32 PM, Freeman wrote:
If you think you can, apply a mystical interpretation to the following text and write it out. In other words, create the central thesis for a religion based on this song.

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round,
round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
all through the town.

wheels on the bus = wheels of existence = they spin on in every "thing"....

The wheels on the bus are one manifestation of the wheels of time, space, and life, the wheels that make up the universe...

they keep on going spinning, their eternal spinning, through everything... round and round...

ALL THROUGH THE TOWN

That doesn't sound like a central thesis for a religion. More like romanticized poetry.

The thesis of a religion would have to include creating a scenario or deity that needs to be accepted on faith as a means to salvation, and if you ain't accepting the right things, you won't reach salvation.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 10:36:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 10:24:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:19:07 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:12:32 PM, Freeman wrote:
If you think you can, apply a mystical interpretation to the following text and write it out. In other words, create the central thesis for a religion based on this song.

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round,
round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
all through the town.

wheels on the bus = wheels of existence = they spin on in every "thing"....

The wheels on the bus are one manifestation of the wheels of time, space, and life, the wheels that make up the universe...

they keep on going spinning, their eternal spinning, through everything... round and round...

ALL THROUGH THE TOWN

That doesn't sound like a central thesis for a religion. More like romanticized poetry.

The thesis of a religion would have to include creating a scenario or deity that needs to be accepted on faith as a means to salvation, and if you ain't accepting the right things, you won't reach salvation.

Your conception of religion is way too narrow.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2010 10:42:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 10:36:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:24:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The thesis of a religion would have to include creating a scenario or deity that needs to be accepted on faith as a means to salvation, and if you ain't accepting the right things, you won't reach salvation.

Your conception of religion is way too narrow.

I admit, you're probably right. However, Salvation is one of the defining attributes of religion. Even for non-Abrahamic religions, though the word "salvation" probably isn't used.

Salvation, a philosophy, a moral code, usually worship, and usually faith.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 7:57:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 10:42:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:36:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:24:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The thesis of a religion would have to include creating a scenario or deity that needs to be accepted on faith as a means to salvation, and if you ain't accepting the right things, you won't reach salvation.

Your conception of religion is way too narrow.

I admit, you're probably right. However, Salvation is one of the defining attributes of religion. Even for non-Abrahamic religions, though the word "salvation" probably isn't used.

Salvation, a philosophy, a moral code, usually worship, and usually faith.

what is 'salvation' for Scientologist. They try to live there lives to be theatens but if they fail its no big deal. there not really being 'saved' from anything if they become a theaten, there just advancing there existance.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 8:03:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
romantiziation of poetry is probably as good as you can get with this. such as

the wheels on the bus go round and round...
Round is said twice to emphisise the gosple that what goes around comes around, you reap what you sow.

all through the town....
adds a double meaning to the prevous scripture 'the wheels ...go round and round..' that time marches on, it is always moving and you dont get on moment back.

through the town....
has the double meaning that can only be viewed in context of the fact that its a 'bus' that goes through the town. this bus has no specific destination, because it dosnet really matter were it is going, what you need to concern yourself with is the decision to get on... ( that analogy is stolen from the movie 'polar express' substituting 'bus' for 'train')
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 8:18:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
wheels= time
bus= earth
town= universe

the wheels of time turn eternally as the earth spins throughout the universe. *sniffles* so beautiful!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lastrequest691
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 8:21:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The wheels of the Bus go round and round clearly tells us that things are as it is.
The wheel of a bus is meant to go round and round and that is what it is doing. It's just the way it is.
The wheel going round and round indicates that the cycle is repetitive. The going round of the wheel might also indicate that some kind of cycle keeps on repeating itself and it cannot be stopped by earthlings such as us.

The going round of the wheel is the Cycle of Life and we cannot escape coming into this world or escaping death. Everybody has to die and that is what the cycle does. Nobody lives forever because time is a cruel and a fast moving train- it waits for nobody. If time is a vehicle then the cycle of life is the wheels that keep on going round and round.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 8:38:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Nostradomus was the first prophet of our new reliogion as he painted 'the wheel of time' in some of artwork prophocies. Did he ever paint a bus? I dont think so but Bus driver was not yet ready to reavel this to the people but wanted the concept of the wheel told to us.

The wheel is what its all about
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 9:38:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/28/2010 7:57:40 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:42:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:36:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:24:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The thesis of a religion would have to include creating a scenario or deity that needs to be accepted on faith as a means to salvation, and if you ain't accepting the right things, you won't reach salvation.

Your conception of religion is way too narrow.

I admit, you're probably right. However, Salvation is one of the defining attributes of religion. Even for non-Abrahamic religions, though the word "salvation" probably isn't used.

Salvation, a philosophy, a moral code, usually worship, and usually faith.

what is 'salvation' for Scientologist. They try to live there lives to be theatens but if they fail its no big deal. there not really being 'saved' from anything if they become a theaten, there just advancing there existance.

That's far from what Scientology teaches. They also believe in a form of Salvation. The word doesn't necessarily mean "saved" in the Christian sense of the word either.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 9:40:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/27/2010 10:12:32 PM, Freeman wrote:
If you think you can, apply a mystical interpretation to the following text and write it out. In other words, create the central thesis for a religion based on this song.

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round,
round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
all through the town.

Hahahaha I'll get back to you tonight :p
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 10:08:40 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/28/2010 9:38:17 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/28/2010 7:57:40 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:42:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:36:54 PM, Freeman wrote:
At 4/27/2010 10:24:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The thesis of a religion would have to include creating a scenario or deity that needs to be accepted on faith as a means to salvation, and if you ain't accepting the right things, you won't reach salvation.

Your conception of religion is way too narrow.

I admit, you're probably right. However, Salvation is one of the defining attributes of religion. Even for non-Abrahamic religions, though the word "salvation" probably isn't used.

Salvation, a philosophy, a moral code, usually worship, and usually faith.

what is 'salvation' for Scientologist. They try to live there lives to be theatens but if they fail its no big deal. there not really being 'saved' from anything if they become a theaten, there just advancing there existance.

That's far from what Scientology teaches. They also believe in a form of Salvation. The word doesn't necessarily mean "saved" in the Christian sense of the word either.

Okay then, what do Scientologiest teach about 'salvation' in there since of the term?
what happens to you if you fail to become a 'theaten'? is failure to be 'saved' for them mean youre alien spirit goes back to the planet venus, is brainwashed to forget your last life and then your sould is shoved back into another baby, in otherwords reancarnation with venus and alien brainwashing playing a role making it cool. How is any of that bad or come near being worthy of any use of the word 'saved'?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 10:13:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
You know I think more poems should be drafted into this religon on the virture that 'the wheels on the bus' is given as one. For example if we were thinking of a religon for 'Little red riding hood' then we would want to view all of the brothergrim stories to be holy by association. Or if the religon was of Santa then the Easter bunny, Jack the Pumpkin king (aka the great Pumpkin that linus waits for every year), a leprechon, cupid, father time and mother earth become part of this religon as well.

So for this children poem I think 'ring around the rose' 'the hokeypokey' 'patty cake bakers man' and 'doggy doggy weres your bone' should become part of this new faith by association.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 10:20:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
who is the prophet the originally wrote 'the wheels on the bus'? I tried looking it up and can only find reference to a man that made it popular around the world, but not the original auther.

This is like one of those question 'who invented the wheel' because its been around for so long you cant remember the time no one sang this song.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 12:22:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/28/2010 10:08:40 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 4/28/2010 9:38:17 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
That's far from what Scientology teaches. They also believe in a form of Salvation. The word doesn't necessarily mean "saved" in the Christian sense of the word either.

Okay then, what do Scientologiest teach about 'salvation' in there since of the term?

In Scientology, they follow the 8 dynamics, the steps from person to family to group to species all the way to the 7th dynamic of spiritual realization and the 8th dynamic of uniting with Infinity. That 8th dynamic is there version of Salvation.

what happens to you if you fail to become a 'theaten'? is failure to be 'saved' for them mean youre alien spirit goes back to the planet venus, is brainwashed to forget your last life and then your sould is shoved back into another baby, in otherwords reancarnation with venus and alien brainwashing playing a role making it cool. How is any of that bad or come near being worthy of any use of the word 'saved'?

First of all, I aleady told you that Salvation does not always mean saved. Christianity really is the only one about "saving." Yet many religions have concepts of Salvation. According to my World Religions professor, this is the defining attribute of religion. It's reaching that final goal, ultimate purpose that defines Salvation. Not necessarily being saved from Hell.

Second of all, Scientologists don't try to become a thetan. Thetan is a word for soul/self, it's what you already are, not what you're trying to become.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 1:05:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/28/2010 12:22:42 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/28/2010 10:08:40 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 4/28/2010 9:38:17 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
That's far from what Scientology teaches. They also believe in a form of Salvation. The word doesn't necessarily mean "saved" in the Christian sense of the word either.

Okay then, what do Scientologiest teach about 'salvation' in there since of the term?

In Scientology, they follow the 8 dynamics, the steps from person to family to group to species all the way to the 7th dynamic of spiritual realization and the 8th dynamic of uniting with Infinity. That 8th dynamic is there version of Salvation.

what happens to you if you fail to become a 'theaten'? is failure to be 'saved' for them mean youre alien spirit goes back to the planet venus, is brainwashed to forget your last life and then your sould is shoved back into another baby, in otherwords reancarnation with venus and alien brainwashing playing a role making it cool. How is any of that bad or come near being worthy of any use of the word 'saved'?

First of all, I aleady told you that Salvation does not always mean saved. Christianity really is the only one about "saving." Yet many religions have concepts of Salvation. According to my World Religions professor, this is the defining attribute of religion. It's reaching that final goal, ultimate purpose that defines Salvation. Not necessarily being saved from Hell.

So a religon can not call it salvation and not mean anything that means 'saved'...... then I think that justifies saying the attribute is not a 'salvation' one as they dont call it that and they dont mean that.

Your professor has confused you. Perhaps he should have taught all reliogons have the attribute of an 'ultimate spiritual goal' rather than use the term 'salvation' so that we start compairing all 'ulitmate spiritual goals' in christian terms. Cause I can think of no other reason he would tell you something as non-sensical as saying something is like all religons have salvation even though in meaning they dont nor terminology.

Thats like me saying 'your like a christian, you just dont call yourself that in your beliefs, and what you call yourself dosent mean the same thing eithor as christian'
The statement contradicts itself.

Second of all, Scientologists don't try to become a thetan. Thetan is a word for soul/self, it's what you already are, not what you're trying to become.

Okay I'm sorry I should have used the full term 'Cleared Theta Clear' to refer to what they wish to become.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Anacharsis
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2010 1:20:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
All of you are interpreting the verse incorrectly, introducing your whimsical interpretations into something that is much more straight forward. This can end nowhere but with a descent into mythologizing and superstition.

As we read in Bus 1:3, "the people on the bus go up and down, up and down, up and down." The "town" is clearly a metaphor for society. What else do people move through? Certainly, it could be taken literally as a physical space, but then there would be no point to writing it. Any child knows that buses do go all around town. Furthermore, since windshield wipers do not literally go "swish, swish, swish" (Bus 1:2) and people on a physical bus do not move in a way that would be characterized as "up and down", clearly we are not meant to take the literal interpretation.

So, if "town" is society, what is represented by the "bus"? We have to ask here, what it is that moves people through society? It is enlightening to notice that all of the people are on a single bus, not multiple gas sucking mini-SUVs, sipping their lattes and talking on their cell phones. So, obviously we can at least say that this is a highly egalitarian picture. In light of the status of public transportation as a governmentally subsidized effort, we interpret from this context that the "bus" represents the forces of economic history and that the verse overall is a means of instructing children in how to behave properly in a well ordered socialist endeavor as we move forward through the development of our planned society.

The original author has apparently elected to remain anonymous, distributing this doctrine under a pseudonym to escape the forces of capitalist oppression.