Jump to topic:

Persecution.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 6:44:01 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There are people who believe that the 5-10% of the population (who are atheist) are persecuting the other 90-95% of the population who are theists.
Are you one of these and if your are what is your justification?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 6:53:45 AM
At 11/6/2014 6:44:01 AM, bulproof wrote:
There are people who believe that the 5-10% of the population (who are atheist) are persecuting the other 90-95% of the population who are theists.

I find it difficult to believe that the minority are the ones doing the persecution.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 7:00:26 AM
At 11/6/2014 6:53:45 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

I find it difficult to believe that the minority are the ones doing the persecution.

But that is the claim of some of the theists here.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 7:16:02 AM
At 11/6/2014 7:00:26 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/6/2014 6:53:45 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

But that is the claim of some of the theists here.

It is not a reasonable claim. I'd like to start keeping count of "below the belt" comments and insults by each user in a spreadsheet. My prediction is that the atheists in this forum are not going to be in the larger percentile of a-s-s hats. It's childish really.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 8:36:00 AM

Religious people have been the persecutors ever since they believed in their false deities and built their false gods.
LostintheEcho1498
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 5:11:21 PM

I would never make this claim. I do have to ask, what is the source? I am pretty sure there are many more Atheists that 5-10%. I know too many who are Atheist to think that.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 5:23:16 PM

Most atheists and theists don't understand that many of God's people are ignorant to religion or God. Meaning, they don't care either way.
JMcFarland
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 5:49:23 PM
I ran across this sentiment on another writing site that I participate in. It seems that many theists - Christians in particular - think that having someone criticize their beliefs and their statements is a direct insult and persecution of themselves as an individual. One of them compared criticism of the Christian god to verbal and emotional spousal abuse, which is why she considered it persecution of her and her beliefs. I find it absurd to claim that you are being persecuted when you are participating in a conversation of your own free will, and you're equally free to leave at any time. Criticism of a belief is not necessarily a criticism of a believer, yet it seems like the people claiming persecution have no qualms whatsoever in "persecuting" by their own definition atheists, agnostics, homosexuals and even other Christians who oppose their statements and/or positions. Meanwhile, persecution really is happening throughout the world to Christians, Atheists and people of many other faiths. Claiming persecution because you think someone is being mean to you on the Internet belittles the true, actual suffering of thousands of others - many of whom face death or mob violence because of their beliefs.
embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever - just deal with it" Buffy The Vampire Slayer
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 6:11:22 PM
At 11/6/2014 5:49:23 PM, JMcFarland wrote:
I ran across this sentiment on another writing site that I participate in. It seems that many theists - Christians in particular - think that having someone criticize their beliefs and their statements is a direct insult and persecution of themselves as an individual. One of them compared criticism of the Christian god to verbal and emotional spousal abuse, which is why she considered it persecution of her and her beliefs. I find it absurd to claim that you are being persecuted when you are participating in a conversation of your own free will, and you're equally free to leave at any time. Criticism of a belief is not necessarily a criticism of a believer, yet it seems like the people claiming persecution have no qualms whatsoever in "persecuting" by their own definition atheists, agnostics, homosexuals and even other Christians who oppose their statements and/or positions. Meanwhile, persecution really is happening throughout the world to Christians, Atheists and people of many other faiths. Claiming persecution because you think someone is being mean to you on the Internet belittles the true, actual suffering of thousands of others - many of whom face death or mob violence because of their beliefs.

Welcome to you and congrats on your first post. All of these are very good points and I agree with you on many of them. There is a trend happening in this forum where certain members are being attacked for their convictions rather than allowed to participate in open debate discussions. We need more open minded people here who are willing to discuss and debate a topic without personal attack and prejudice. I hope you will stick around. :)
JMcFarland
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2014 6:23:09 PM
Thanks, Jody.
I'm happy to have found this site, after losing hope in the main site that I post my writing on due to the inability for people to communicate effectively, and having to repeat myself over and over again to no avail. I'm hoping this site will provide thoughtful, engaging discussions and look forward to participating in forums, debates and interactions with others.
embrace the pain, spank your inner moppet, whatever - just deal with it" Buffy The Vampire Slayer