Church Membership

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 10:20:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/8/2014 9:46:28 AM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:
Can an individual be in the Body of Christ and not attend church?

If you're asking whether or not they can be a Christian and not convene with the fellowship of believers, then sure.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 10:23:20 AM

As ridiculous as your question is, I knew several Catholics who said you couldn't, even though you obviously can...
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 10:25:08 AM
At 11/8/2014 10:20:16 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

If you're asking whether or not they can be a Christian and not convene with the fellowship of believers, then sure.

Can one not convene with the fellowship of Christians without forsaking the assembly? (Hebrews 10:25)
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 10:26:23 AM
At 11/8/2014 10:23:20 AM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:

As ridiculous as your question is, I knew several Catholics who said you couldn't, even though you obviously can...

You say obviously? Obviously based on what?
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 10:30:45 AM
At 11/8/2014 10:26:23 AM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

Because "being in the Body of Christ" is a made up thing- it's pure fiction. That's like me saying "I'm in the Body of MarioWatsonBeasley"- prove to me that I'm not.

Exactly- you can't. Also, what in the world does having to go to a physical place (church) have to do with being in the Body (or spirit, I believe it means)? How does entering a man-made door magically put you in someone's spirit?
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 10:44:09 AM
At 11/8/2014 10:30:45 AM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:

Because "being in the Body of Christ" is a made up thing- it's pure fiction. That's like me saying "I'm in the Body of MarioWatsonBeasley"- prove to me that I'm not.

Exactly- you can't. Also, what in the world does having to go to a physical place (church) have to do with being in the Body (or spirit, I believe it means)? How does entering a man-made door magically put you in someone's spirit?

First of all, the Body of Christ is not a made-up thing or something fiction. You would only say such a thing if you don't accept God's truth, which is, His Word. While writing to the church of Corinth, Paul would tell those Christians that they are the Body of Christ. (1 Corinthians 12:27) Now while writing to the church at Ephesus, Paul would tell those Christians that the body is the church and the church is the body. (Ephesians 1:22-23, also see Colossians 1:18). The Hebrew writer would tell his audience not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together (Hebrews 10:25), or in other words, forsake not the day of fellowship at church.

So my question to you is: How can one be a part of the body but, not the church????
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 10:57:47 AM
At 11/8/2014 10:44:09 AM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

First of all, the Body of Christ is not a made-up thing or something fiction. You would only say such a thing if you don't accept God's truth, which is, His Word. While writing to the church of Corinth, Paul would tell those Christians that they are the Body of Christ. (1 Corinthians 12:27) Now while writing to the church at Ephesus, Paul would tell those Christians that the body is the church and the church is the body. (Ephesians 1:22-23, also see Colossians 1:18). The Hebrew writer would tell his audience not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together (Hebrews 10:25), or in other words, forsake not the day of fellowship at church.

So my question to you is: How can one be a part of the body but, not the church????

Paul was all about rules and adhering to them, Christ wasn't.

Church = a building.
Body (spirit) of Christ = not a building.
Remember how many times Christ and his followers made churches, and attended them once a week and told others to attend while he was alive?
Paul was all about telling people what actions to do, Christ was all about telling people how to think properly.
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 11:33:16 AM
At 11/8/2014 10:57:47 AM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:

Church = a building.
Remember how many times Christ and his followers made churches, and attended them once a week and told others to attend while he was alive?
Paul was all about telling people what actions to do, Christ was all about telling people how to think properly.

Church=Ekklesia= called out
The word church can be used in three different ways. The first, which is the general meaning, would be the universal sense which refers to Christians in general. Second, you have the geographical sense which refers to a certain location, for instance, I'm a member of the church of Christ @ Norton Shores. Then, you have the physical or building sense which refers to the venue where members of the church assemble together.

Why are you defining the word church and body according to the Holy Scriptures with your man-made definitions or interpretations when the BIBLE says that the church and the body are the same??

No, i'm sorry, I must of missed the part where there was a church while Christ was still on earth. Now I do remember Christ promising to build His church in Matthew 16:18-19. In which the word church is used in a future tense because it hadn't began. I also remember the church began on the day of Pentecost, according to Luke in the Book of Acts Chapter 2. In which the word church was used in past tense.

Paul was led by the Holy Spirit and taught those things which he had seen and heard of Christ. (Acts 22:13-18)

So my question to you again: How can one be a part of the body, but not the church???
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 11:45:56 AM
At 11/8/2014 11:33:16 AM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

Church = a building.

The word church can be used in three different ways. The first, which is the general meaning, would be the universal sense which refers to Christians in general. Second, you have the geographical sense which refers to a certain location, for instance, I'm a member of the church of Christ @ Norton Shores. Then, you have the physical or building sense which refers to the venue where members of the church assemble together.

Why are you defining the word church and body according to the Holy Scriptures with your man-made definitions or interpretations when the BIBLE says that the church and the body are the same??

No, i'm sorry, I must of missed the part where there was a church while Christ was still on earth. Now I do remember Christ promising to build His church in Matthew 16:18-19. In which the word church is used in a future tense because it hadn't began. I also remember the church began on the day of Pentecost, according to Luke in the Book of Acts Chapter 2. In which the word church was used in past tense.

Paul was led by the Holy Spirit and taught those things which he had seen and heard of Christ. (Acts 22:13-18)

So my question to you again: How can one be a part of the body, but not the church???

YOUR very first question that started this thread said "Can an individual be in the Body of Christ and not attend church?" Note the key word "attend", as in "go to", "participate in", etc. You should clarify what definition of church you are using in the BEGINNING, not ten posts later. If NOW you are saying Body of Christ and church are the same thing, then of COURSE you can't have one without the other...

Also, Paul never met Jesus and Jesus never said "build buildings to worship me in" because he knew that was a waste of time. He wanted people to fix their minds, which is the only way to get back to heaven and stay there- it has NOTHING to do with what behaviors you do...
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 12:07:55 PM
At 11/8/2014 11:45:56 AM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:
At 11/8/2014 11:33:16 AM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

Church = a building.

YOUR very first question that started this thread said "Can an individual be in the Body of Christ and not attend church?" Note the key word "attend", as in "go to", "participate in", etc. You should clarify what definition of church you are using in the BEGINNING, not ten posts later. If NOW you are saying Body of Christ and church are the same thing, then of COURSE you can't have one without the other...

Also, Paul never met Jesus and Jesus never said "build buildings to worship me in" because he knew that was a waste of time. He wanted people to fix their minds, which is the only way to get back to heaven and stay there- it has NOTHING to do with what behaviors you do...

Lol... Paul did see and meet Jesus!!! (1 Corinthians 15:1-8)(Acts 22:6-8)

If we are instructed to attend the assembly, which Christians are (Hebrews 10:25), how can you be in the body and not attend church? When you are in the body, you are together with God. When you don't assemble with the brethren willfully, you commit sin. So now your no longer with God(Isiah 59:2). How can you be a member of the Lord's church or body and not participate in communion(Acts 20:7), collection(1 Corinthians 16:1-2), and singing to each other(Ephesians 5:19, Colossians 3:16)? Which are all acts of worship instituted by Christ by the way.