Jump to topic:

For Christians who don't Fully Endorse OT Law

mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 1:57:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Do you reject the words of Jesus in the Book of Matthew?

Matthew 5:17-18
"Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Or for what reason would you reject Any law of the OT ? Jesus said that they shall stand.
mortsdor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 3:34:33 PM
At 11/8/2014 2:42:50 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
http://biblehub.com...

ah, so do you reject the passage from Matthew that I quoted?

Or was Jesus just duplicitous in one of these cases?

Jesus affirms the law of the OT.
The law of the OT says she's to be put to death.

Jesus says you shouldn't kill her unless you're without sin yourself.
(which contradicts the law of the OT)

Further, jesus himself is supposedly without sin, but he too doesn't stone or condemn her (also contradicting the condemnation found in the OT)
celestialtorahteacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 3:51:49 PM
Without having the Torah/Tanakh words available no one would be able to understand Jesus Christ or His messages to humankind. The earthly Torah acts like the DNA molecule does that contains all the past history of structural changes in the evolution of a species form but only a relatively tiny percentage of the whole molecule is actively instructing living tissues. The vast majority of the DNA molecule is inert but without its base structure the active parts wouldn't be able to work.

You wouldn't understand Jesus' instructions or his role without knowing the Bible foundation. But it does not mean the past instructions are valid for today's world, obviously we Jews are not going around stoning our uppity sons to death who give us lip or stoning witches or homosexuals. These are part of the old rules that are there to give historical context but not to rule in place of evolved better humanitarian values.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 4:11:34 PM
At 11/8/2014 1:57:50 PM, mortsdor wrote:

I personally do not reject any words. Words are just words. People react to their own perception of the meanings of words and either accept or reject whatever they see is being conveyed through the words.

"Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

Apparently Jesus fulfilled all laws and prophecies in the OT.
John 17:4 have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

That seems to make many believers think that OT law no longer needs to be obeyed or fulfilled by anyone else since Jesus fulfilled it all and accomplished all he was meant to accomplish on Earth.

On the other hand, you can perceive Jesus act of fulfilling the law as an example to follow, which would mean all believers should also fulfill the law exactly like Jesus did.

Or for what reason would you reject Any law of the OT ? Jesus said that they shall stand.

Those laws bind people into religious rituals. They do not set anyone free from the bondage of religion

Gods laws are meant to be a guide not some hard and fast rule which applies to every single situation and stops people from thinking for themselves and using their own initiative and judgments.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Fulfilling the commandments or "Gods Laws" is about learning to love others regardless of who they are. It is about treating others the same as you would like to be treated if you were in the same situation as they are.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 4:34:05 PM
At 11/8/2014 3:34:33 PM, mortsdor wrote:
At 11/8/2014 2:42:50 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

ah, so do you reject the passage from Matthew that I quoted?

Or was Jesus just duplicitous in one of these cases?

Jesus affirms the law of the OT.
The law of the OT says she's to be put to death.

Jesus says you shouldn't kill her unless you're without sin yourself.
(which contradicts the law of the OT)

Further, jesus himself is supposedly without sin, but he too doesn't stone or condemn her (also contradicting the condemnation found in the OT)

Ah ha! My sentiments exactly! Jesus lead by example. Christians often don't.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 4:39:44 PM
At 11/8/2014 1:57:50 PM, mortsdor wrote:

The Law of Moses and the Prophets are not binding because the law has been fulfilled.