How does one become a Christian?

MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:08:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
To become a Christian, one must:
-Hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Romans 10:17, Hebrews 11:6)
-Believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ (John 8:24)
-Repent from their iniquities and wicked ways (Luke 13:3)
-Confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God (Matthew 10:32-33)
-Be Baptized for the remission of their sins (Mark 16:16, Acts 2:28,Galatians 3:26-27)
-Then the Lord will add them to His church (Acts 2:47)
-
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:15:16 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:08:43 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:
-Be Baptized for the remission of their sins (Mark 16:16, Acts 2:28,Galatians 3:26-27)
-

The real question is how does one stay that way. Your thoughts?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:22:06 PM
The same way a reader does when reading a fantastic tale or a movie-goer does when watching a fantastic film - suspension of disbelief.

Suspension of disbelief or willing suspension of disbelief is a term coined in 1817 by the poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge, who suggested that if a writer could infuse a "human interest and a semblance of truth" into a fantastic tale, the reader would suspend judgement concerning the implausibility of the narrative. Suspension of disbelief often applies to fictional works of the action, comedy, fantasy, and horror genres. Cognitive estrangement in fiction involves using a person's ignorance or lack of knowledge to promote suspension of disbelief.
--- Wikipedia
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:28:52 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:15:16 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
-

Submitting to God daily (James 4:7)
Prayer is a must (James 5:13)
Attending worship service (Hebrews 10:25, 2 Peter 3:18)
Studying God's word (2 Timothy 2:15)
Love everyone (Galatians 5:14)
Now there's alot more that goes with and comes with these I have listed but, I believe these are the bases...
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:34:48 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:28:52 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:
-

Now there's alot more that goes with and comes with these I have listed but, I believe these are the bases...

I submit to love daily. I pray through my actions. This is my worship service. I study everyone's words. I love everyone.

I am not a Christian. I'm just a jodybirdy ;) Is that not enough?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:40:30 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:34:48 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
-

I submit to love daily. I pray through my actions. This is my worship service. I study everyone's words. I love everyone.

Well you're already on the right path, ever thought about becoming a Christian? lbs...
Unfortunately that's not enough to have eternal life, which is granted through Jesus.
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:42:28 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:22:06 PM, dee-em wrote:
The same way a reader does when reading a fantastic tale or a movie-goer does when watching a fantastic film - suspension of disbelief.

Suspension of disbelief or willing suspension of disbelief is a term coined in 1817 by the poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge, who suggested that if a writer could infuse a "human interest and a semblance of truth" into a fantastic tale, the reader would suspend judgement concerning the implausibility of the narrative. Suspension of disbelief often applies to fictional works of the action, comedy, fantasy, and horror genres. Cognitive estrangement in fiction involves using a person's ignorance or lack of knowledge to promote suspension of disbelief.
--- Wikipedia

So you believe that the Holy bible is fictional???
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:59:15 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:42:28 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

--- Wikipedia

Of course it is.

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

How could anyone possibly think this to be anything other than a work of fiction?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:00:23 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:40:30 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:
-

Well you're already on the right path, ever thought about becoming a Christian? lbs...
Unfortunately that's not enough to have eternal life, which is granted through Jesus.

I don't profess to be worthy of eternal life. I'm going to focus on what's in front of me in the here and now. This moment is all that we really have to live, is it not? When I die, and if I have some conscious existence or after life, I will focus on that. It's the best anyone can do. For the here and now I will focus on being the best I can be. If I make a mistake and cause pain to someone, I ask to be forgiven by the person I hurt. That's the best I can do. It's simple. Life doesn't have to be complicated. I think Christianity might ruin that simple happiness for me.
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:04:18 PM
At 11/8/2014 6:00:23 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
-

I don't profess to be worthy of eternal life. I'm going to focus on what's in front of me in the here and now. This moment is all that we really have to live, is it not? When I die, and if I have some conscious existence or after life, I will focus on that. It's the best anyone can do. For the here and now I will focus on being the best I can be. If I make a mistake and cause pain to someone, I ask to be forgiven by the person I hurt. That's the best I can do. It's simple. Life doesn't have to be complicated. I think Christianity might ruin that simple happiness for me.

Well, I pray that you come around to accepting the truth one day! I think you should try it before you deny it though??
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:06:52 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:59:15 PM, dee-em wrote:

--- Wikipedia

Of course it is.

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

How could anyone possibly think this to be anything other than a work of fiction?

Thanks but, I'm not to big on opinions. Do you think that you could provide some facts or feasible evidence to support your claim?? We can do an actual debate if you would like??
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:08:58 PM
At 11/8/2014 6:04:18 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:
Well, I pray that you come around to accepting the truth one day! I think you should try it before you deny it though??

What role do you believe logic and reason should play in one's quest to find the truth?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:21:30 PM
-

Tried it. Epic fail. Thank you for you sentiments and I wish you the best.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:25:31 PM
At 11/8/2014 6:06:52 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

--- Wikipedia

Of course it is.

Thanks but, I'm not to big on opinions. Do you think that you could provide some facts or feasible evidence to support your claim??

What claim? You asked me if I believed the Bible to be fiction, ie. not factual. I said I did. I can't suspend disbelief for such a fantastic story. If you think the Bible is factual, the onus is on you to produce the evidence for it. Feasible evidence is required for positive claims, not for negative ones. How could anyone possibly provide facts refuting a work of fiction based on the supernatural? I could list dozens of things that are impossible but you would just invoke Jesus/God to dismiss them.

What facts could I provide to convince you that the Qur'an is a work of fiction? Can you do it?

We can do an actual debate if you would like??

I prefer debate here in the forum.
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:25:56 PM
At 11/8/2014 6:08:58 PM, Double_R wrote:

What role do you believe logic and reason should play in one's quest to find the truth?

Wherever it's applied without contradiction..
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:26:24 PM

MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:27:07 PM
At 11/8/2014 6:21:30 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
-

Tried it. Epic fail. Thank you for you sentiments and I wish you the best.

Thanks...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:32:24 PM

--- Wikipedia

Of course it is.

Thanks but, I'm not to big on opinions.

Btw, is it opinion to reject wild and fantastic stories without supporting evidence? I would have thought it was simply common sense.
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:41:09 PM
At 11/8/2014 6:32:24 PM, dee-em wrote:

--- Wikipedia

Of course it is.

Btw, is it opinion to reject wild and fantastic stories without supporting evidence? I would have thought it was simply common sense.

Well, in Genesis 17:12, God demanded that all infants be circumcised on the eight day. Doctors/Scientists later discovered that the eighth day was when an infants prothrombin and vitamin K are at their highest levels. On the eighth day, the amount of prothrombin present actually is elevated above one-hundred percent of normal"and is the only day in the male"s life in which this will be the case under normal conditions. If surgery is to be performed, day eight is the perfect day to do it. Vitamin K and prothrombin levels are at their peak.

Now if the scriptures werent inspired by God, how did a human know that circumcision on the eight day was the BEST and appropriate time to perform such an act??
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 7:35:59 PM
At 11/8/2014 6:25:56 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

I don't understand your answer. My answer is: Applying logic and reason to the world around us is the only way to reliably determine what is true.
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 8:38:24 PM
At 11/8/2014 7:35:59 PM, Double_R wrote:

I don't understand your answer. My answer is: Applying logic and reason to the world around us is the only way to reliably determine what is true.

i would say that you do determine alot of truth like that, but not all, especially the important truth. This life on earth is temporary, tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. The Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth (BIBLE) are a necessity when it comes to eternal salvation.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 9:12:14 PM
-

Life was created by our ONE invisible Creator and you're doing exactly what He planned for you to do my friend. There never was any decision to make to be saved from this world and the flesh that has deceived all His people from their true reality within His mind. You, I and all the rest of God's creation will enjoy life forever. That is the true love of God.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 9:13:03 PM
At 11/8/2014 8:38:24 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

i would say that you do determine alot of truth like that, but not all, especially the important truth. This life on earth is temporary, tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. The Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth (BIBLE) are a necessity when it comes to eternal salvation.

Get over it, everything dies. Cavemen invented gods and religions to explain that, come and join the 21st century.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 9:19:15 PM

Not ONE of God's created men has ever known the Truth during this first age. Only God's invisible servant through His prophets and saints testify to the Truth. However, God did chose a few of His created men to listen to the gospel we preach and learn what the Truth is without them actually knowing our invisible Creator.

The prophecies are the only testaments by God's prophets that are needed by His saints to teach us pieces of knowledge that fit the knowledge that He has us write and speak. So the prophecies act like a third witness for us to give us total confidence in preaching the gospel to find His believers and teach them exactly who we are in Him. He also teaches us how He created us as invisible vibrations before forming flesh and the rest of the objects in this universe for us to observe.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 9:20:40 PM

--- Wikipedia

Of course it is.

LOL !!!!!!!!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 11:04:24 PM
At 11/8/2014 6:41:09 PM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:
At 11/8/2014 6:32:24 PM, dee-em wrote:

--- Wikipedia

Of course it is.

Well, in Genesis 17:12, God demanded that all infants be circumcised on the eight day. Doctors/Scientists later discovered that the eighth day was when an infants prothrombin and vitamin K are at their highest levels. On the eighth day, the amount of prothrombin present actually is elevated above one-hundred percent of normal"and is the only day in the male"s life in which this will be the case under normal conditions. If surgery is to be performed, day eight is the perfect day to do it. Vitamin K and prothrombin levels are at their peak.

Now if the scriptures werent inspired by God, how did a human know that circumcision on the eight day was the BEST and appropriate time to perform such an act??

Like a lot of things were discovered in the past. It's called trial and error. No mystery really. Many ancient cultures found things out this way.

Perhaps you should be asking yourself why a creator of the vast universe would create (allegedly) males with a foreskin only to insist that it be immediately cut off. Does that make sense to you? It's ludicrous.
MarioWatsonBeasley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 1:03:18 AM
At 11/8/2014 9:13:03 PM, bulproof wrote:

Get over it, everything dies. Cavemen invented gods and religions to explain that, come and join the 21st century.

A Christian spirit doesn't die, it goes to God for him to put you in heaven or the lake of fire, depending on what you've done good and bad while on earth ( Ecclesiastes 12:7)..

No thanks!!!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 1:13:18 AM
At 11/9/2014 1:03:18 AM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

A Christian spirit doesn't die, it goes to God for him to put you in heaven or the lake of fire, depending on what you've done good and bad while on earth ( Ecclesiastes 12:7)..
You do understand that this tripe was written by a man. When you find a man who has evidence that any of it is true come back and see me.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 3:21:39 AM
At 11/9/2014 1:13:18 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/9/2014 1:03:18 AM, MarioWatsonBeasley wrote:

You do understand that this tripe was written by a man. When you find a man who has evidence that any of it is true come back and see me.

I'll refer you to Saint Brad of Schizoville. After all, he was castrated by God. Plus, God took his guitar away from him, but gave it back. Also, he capitalizes I AM and Myself. You two should arrange a formal debate.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 3:49:56 AM

i would say that you do determine alot of truth like that, but not all, especially the important truth.

Then what system do you use which produces reliable results?

This life on earth is temporary, tomorrow isn't promised to any of us. The Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth (BIBLE) are a necessity when it comes to eternal salvation.

You're assuming your conclusion. You believe this when you are a Christian. However, your forum topic title was "How does one become a Christian?".