Jump to topic:

Give to God???

EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 8:58:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
YES! Christians and non christians giiiiiive to God. What would a God want with anything we could give?
It's the act of giving, sharing... not just slipping a dollar into Gods pocketbook I mean the act of sharing yourself with God. Actually not only is it something that comes naturally for a believer but it is something God asks of us.
Giving can be many things not just in a single act in a certain way, we can give with our time, our focus (attention), our thoughts, actions and attitudes, we can sacrifice to God in many ways with what we have and what we share of ourselves.
Why would God care or want that?
He wants from you in the same way you want anything your child would give you. I'm an artist and have no need for more artwork but I would still take a piece of art from my child because it is from themselves, and I want what they have and want me to have, God created us in that image because it's something He desires.

Yes, God has everything and there is nothing that He really needs except one thing.... YOU, yes you and when you share yourself with God it's not what He needs but what He wants. You can't get unless you give because it involves sharing not just receiving.
Giving is one thing your spirit will always crave, especially when you seek God, it is the circle of life in spirit.

Matthew 7
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Luke 6
38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Hebrews 11
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 9:04:51 AM
At 11/9/2014 8:58:22 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:
YES! Christians and non christians giiiiiive to God. What would a God want with anything we could give?
It's the act of giving, sharing... not just slipping a dollar into Gods pocketbook I mean the act of sharing yourself with God. Actually not only is it something that comes naturally for a believer but it is something God asks of us.
Giving can be many things not just in a single act in a certain way, we can give with our time, our focus (attention), our thoughts, actions and attitudes, we can sacrifice to God in many ways with what we have and what we share of ourselves.
He wants from you in the same way you want anything your child would give you. I'm an artist and have no need for more artwork but I would still take a piece of art from my child because it is from themselves, and I want what they have and want me to have, God created us in that image because it's something He desires.

Yes, God has everything and there is nothing that He really needs except one thing.... YOU, yes you and when you share yourself with God it's not what He needs but what He wants. You can't get unless you give because it involves sharing not just receiving.
Giving is one thing your spirit will always crave, especially when you seek God, it is the circle of life in spirit.

Matthew 7
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Luke 6
38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Hebrews 11
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Matthew 6
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

I'm happy to give him everything he needs, oh that's right he has no needs. I'm good with that.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 11:52:10 AM

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

I just went outside and threw my wallet up into the air. Apparently, god didn't want anything because it came back down with all the money. :-P
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 12:11:19 PM

Yes, God has everything and there is nothing that He really needs except one thing.... YOU, yes you and when you share yourself with God it's not what He needs but what He wants.

Therein lies the rub. This one "want" (which you first state is a need but then not a need) from God does not allow humans to have free will to choose or experience unconditional love from God. It is a condition and a choice we are forced to make with the underlying consequences dire and long lasting, an eternity of hellfire at stake and our everlasting souls hanging in the balance.

This is the very same behavior exhibited by despots and dictators control over the masses. This is where we would use examples of Stalin, Pol Pot, Hitler, etc.

That's why it's rejected by non-believers.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 7:35:15 PM
At 11/9/2014 11:52:10 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

I just went outside and threw my wallet up into the air. Apparently, god didn't want anything because it came back down with all the money. :-P

You obviously did not throw it high enough. Not everything that goes up comes down again. You need to throw things beyond the field of gravity so they are no longer of this world.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 7:40:44 PM
At 11/9/2014 7:35:15 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

You obviously did not throw it high enough. Not everything that goes up comes down again. You need to throw things beyond the field of gravity so they are no longer of this world.

Throwing my wallet at escape velocity is one of the few ways I could spend my money any faster than I already do.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 7:56:33 PM
It's the act of giving, sharing... not just slipping a dollar into Gods pocketbook

Uhm... God doesn't have - or need - a pocketbook. An entity who can zap up a universe through a few magic words has no need for money. And yet, that money does go somewhere. It doesn't lift up out of the tithing plate, and rise to Heaven so that God can use it to buy food for the poor. Next time you're sitting in church, look around. Are you sitting in hand-crafted pews of real wood? How much do you suppose each pew cost? Check the height of the ceiling. Now maybe it's a fairly standard building. But many churches are ornate, extravagant, lavishly decorated and designed. People build them, not God. And people make a profit for the things they do. It's how they live.

God doesn't receive any of your money... not a single cent. And of course, he doesn't need it. But you could probably use it. And if you saw a hungry person and bought them a sandwich, how much of your money goes to feed that person? If you entrust your money to people who are so dishonest as to claim that God receives your money, how much of that money can you trust will reach those who need it?

Dishonest people tend not to be the best investments.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 8:00:03 PM
At 11/9/2014 7:40:44 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

Throwing my wallet at escape velocity is one of the few ways I could spend my money any faster than I already do.

Well it is supposed to be an investment into your future. No thieves in space.

Matt 6:19-20
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

It is also supposed to return to you 100 fold or less depending on where it landed according to the parable in Matt 13:3-9
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 8:05:56 PM
At 11/9/2014 8:00:03 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

It is also supposed to return to you 100 fold or less depending on where it landed according to the parable in Matt 13:3-9

Jesus explained the parable of the sower in Matthew 13: 18-23, and he's not talking about money or wallets.

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 8:30:43 PM
At 11/9/2014 8:05:56 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

Jesus explained the parable of the sower in Matthew 13: 18-23, and he's not talking about money or wallets.

The same principle of reaping more than what you sow applies.

Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

The idea is that you throw it up to God and then men on Earth will give you the same as what you gave to God.

In the end you end up back where you started...... ie... Invisible, lifeless and penniless.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2014 8:56:03 PM

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

Acts 17
24: The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man,
25: nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 4:39:09 PM
At 11/9/2014 7:56:33 PM, Beastt wrote:
It's the act of giving, sharing... not just slipping a dollar into Gods pocketbook

Uhm... God doesn't have - or need - a pocketbook. An entity who can zap up a universe through a few magic words has no need for money. And yet, that money does go somewhere. It doesn't lift up out of the tithing plate, and rise to Heaven so that God can use it to buy food for the poor. Next time you're sitting in church, look around. Are you sitting in hand-crafted pews of real wood? How much do you suppose each pew cost? Check the height of the ceiling. Now maybe it's a fairly standard building. But many churches are ornate, extravagant, lavishly decorated and designed. People build them, not God. And people make a profit for the things they do. It's how they live.

God doesn't receive any of your money... not a single cent. And of course, he doesn't need it. But you could probably use it. And if you saw a hungry person and bought them a sandwich, how much of your money goes to feed that person? If you entrust your money to people who are so dishonest as to claim that God receives your money, how much of that money can you trust will reach those who need it?

You missed my entire point lol, I wasn't talking about money at all maybe read again.

I'm not a member of a church and the type of giving I am describing has nothing to do with anything you said.
Cooldudebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 4:44:31 PM
At 11/9/2014 8:30:43 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 11/9/2014 8:05:56 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

The same principle of reaping more than what you sow applies.

Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

The idea is that you throw it up to God and then men on Earth will give you the same as what you gave to God.

In the end you end up back where you started...... ie... Invisible, lifeless and penniless.

How come I always see this person......
Cooldudebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 4:45:14 PM
At 11/9/2014 8:56:03 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

Acts 17
24: The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man,
25: nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything.

and this person in the religion topics?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 4:59:42 PM
At 11/10/2014 4:39:09 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

You missed my entire point lol, I wasn't talking about money at all maybe read again.

I'm not a member of a church and the type of giving I am describing has nothing to do with anything you said.

Except perhaps where you said, "not just slipping a dollar into Gods pocketbook". Or are you promoting going back go blood sacrifice for God?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 5:09:48 PM
At 11/10/2014 4:59:42 PM, Beastt wrote:

Except perhaps where you said, "not just slipping a dollar into Gods pocketbook". Or are you promoting going back go blood sacrifice for God?

Yes in the underlined, I specifically said "NOT" just giving God some money, I was talking about giving with more than just that, as I explained. Giving of ourselves.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 5:12:36 PM
At 11/10/2014 5:09:48 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Yes in the underlined, I specifically said "NOT" just giving God some money, I was talking about giving with more than just that, as I explained. Giving of ourselves.
If I owe someone money and I say, "I shared with them and I don't mean I just slipped a few dollars into their pocketbook", have I eliminated the reference to money?

All of that aside, how do you propose that you "share with God"?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 10:47:22 PM
At 11/10/2014 4:45:14 PM, Cooldudebro wrote:
At 11/9/2014 8:56:03 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

Acts 17

and this person in the religion topics?

The Truth is hated or loved by God's people. Are you a hater or lover of God?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 9:23:02 AM
At 11/10/2014 5:12:36 PM, Beastt wrote:

If I owe someone money and I say, "I shared with them and I don't mean I just slipped a few dollars into their pocketbook", have I eliminated the reference to money?

I'm not sure what your point is and I'm not sure what the confusion is, my topic is on sharing ones self with God with more than just some church tithe, of course that is one aspect of giving but I was referring to the inner self.

In the same manner you would share in an intimate relationship or just someone in general that's why the scripture is so animate about seeking God, seeking and knocking are symbolic to move forward to search and find, to seek out with a destination.
You can share with God by directing your words to Him (even though you may feel like He is not there), by retaining God in your thoughts and allowing God to impart wisdom and spiritual understanding (renewing the mind), by acknowledging God with your attitude and your actions (like you would with a spouse), by committing yourself like you would with someone you admire or love knowing that when you put God first in these things everything will be added unto you, "everything" is not specific because everyone has different desires and needs.
By doing these things it creates a circle of giving and receiving that's the purpose of the principle, giving is essential in any relationship and a form of sacrifice is always involved in giving, that's why Christ is the ultimate example of giving, He gave at the highest level of giving and sacrifice, it's an example of a powerful spiritual principle.
Without sharing or giving nothing comes back to us.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 9:23:35 AM
At 11/10/2014 10:47:22 PM, bornofgod wrote:

One need not look at the world in black and white. There are those who neither lover nor hate God. They are what is termed, 'indifferent'.

Would you like me to offer the definition of that word considering it is an alternative you didn't offer?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 9:27:36 AM
At 11/11/2014 9:23:02 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

I'm not sure what your point is and I'm not sure what the confusion is, my topic is on sharing ones self with God with more than just some church tithe, of course that is one aspect of giving but I was referring to the inner self.
So you don't believe that God created us? If he did, how could we not share ourselves with him?

In the same manner you would share in an intimate relationship or just someone in general that's why the scripture is so animate about seeking God, seeking and knocking are symbolic to move forward to search and find, to seek out with a destination.
Why would the design need to seek its designer?

You can share with God by directing your words to Him (even though you may feel like He is not there), by retaining God in your thoughts and allowing God to impart wisdom and spiritual understanding (renewing the mind), by acknowledging God with your attitude and your actions (like you would with a spouse), by committing yourself like you would with someone you admire or love knowing that when you put God first in these things everything will be added unto you, "everything" is not specific because everyone has different desires and needs.
The Bible claims God already knows your mind and has known it since before you were born.

By doing these things it creates a circle of giving and receiving that's the purpose of the principle, giving is essential in any relationship and a form of sacrifice is always involved in giving, that's why Christ is the ultimate example of giving, He gave at the highest level of giving and sacrifice, it's an example of a powerful spiritual principle.
The entire concept suggests that God doesn't know you unless you choose to make yourself known to God. So obviously, your view of God is that he's not all-knowing.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 9:28:44 AM
At 11/11/2014 9:23:35 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

One need not look at the world in black and white. There are those who neither lover nor hate God. They are what is termed, 'indifferent'.

Would you like me to offer the definition of that word considering it is an alternative you didn't offer?

Yes, I know there are ignorant people who love this world so much that they don't care where they came from. I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about the one's who are seeking the Truth that's impossible to see.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 9:40:56 AM

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

ROFL!!! If "money is the root of all evil," why are churches always asking for it? And no, giving does not "come naturally" to a believer. It only "comes naturally" to those with the predisposition toward giving personalities. Becoming a believer does not automatically transform ANYONE into a generous, good person. That's just a myth perpetuated by believers to make believing attractive to non-believers.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 9:57:21 AM
At 11/11/2014 9:28:44 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Yes, I know there are ignorant people who love this world so much that they don't care where they came from. I'm not talking about those people. I'm talking about the one's who are seeking the Truth that's impossible to see.

That would be the very tiny minority of people you imagine in your head, then?

Why do you hate this world so much? Didn't God create it for you? Why do hate God's creation so much?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 11:03:03 AM
At 11/11/2014 9:40:56 AM, ThinkFirst wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

ROFL!!! If "money is the root of all evil," why are churches always asking for it? And no, giving does not "come naturally" to a believer. It only "comes naturally" to those with the predisposition toward giving personalities. Becoming a believer does not automatically transform ANYONE into a generous, good person. That's just a myth perpetuated by believers to make believing attractive to non-believers.

Who is disputing anything about money, and what other "churches" do is not my business.
You misunderstood my comment, I was saying that it comes natural for a believer to want to share with God, I mean they do believe He exists ya know.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 11:10:28 AM
At 11/11/2014 11:03:03 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

Who is disputing anything about money, and what other "churches" do is not my business.
You misunderstood my comment, I was saying that it comes natural for a believer to want to share with God, I mean they do believe He exists ya know.

But your claim that it "comes naturally" is an assertion that is completely without foundation or merit. Sharing, and the innate desire, is a deeply personal character trait, and varies from person to person. There is absolutely nothing about theism that makes this a "natural" trait. You're trying to paint a prettier picture of theism than reality will allow...
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 11:31:23 AM
At 11/11/2014 9:57:21 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Why do you hate this world so much? Didn't God create it for you? Why do hate God's creation so much?

I don't hate anything that God planned, created and formed. It's you who hates the Truth that keeps you believing this world is real.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 11:38:08 AM
At 11/11/2014 11:31:23 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 11/11/2014 9:57:21 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

I don't hate anything that God planned, created and formed.

You hate this world and this life, which God gave to you. All you wish to think about is death.

It's you who hates the Truth that keeps you believing this world is real.

That is not true, I never once said that, you are putting words in my mouth, which is a dishonest tactic. Why are you being dishonest?
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 3:59:23 PM
At 11/11/2014 11:10:28 AM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 11/11/2014 11:03:03 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Matthew 7

Luke 6

Hebrews 11

Matthew 6

But your claim that it "comes naturally" is an assertion that is completely without foundation or merit. Sharing, and the innate desire, is a deeply personal character trait, and varies from person to person. There is absolutely nothing about theism that makes this a "natural" trait. You're trying to paint a prettier picture of theism than reality will allow...

Okay but I'm not sure what your obsession is, I'm not saying only Theists like to share, I'm stating the obvious, if one is a Christian then part of being Christian is to share in God, I don't see the problem in the statement, again I'm not saying that sharing only comes natural to theists only, I'm saying it's a part of Christianity to share of ourselves with God, it's not an assertion it's part of scripture and part of the Christian lifestyle. Don't get so uptight about what I say, I notice that Atheists tend to already establish their opinions before they really hear out what is being said.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 5:39:42 PM
At 11/11/2014 9:27:36 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 11/11/2014 9:23:02 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

So you don't believe that God created us? If he did, how could we not share ourselves with him?

Why would the design need to seek its designer?

To find the truth and abide in it.

The Bible claims God already knows your mind and has known it since before you were born.
Then why would God want anyone to "renew" their mind? It doesn't matter what God knows of you, it matters what you know of God.

The entire concept suggests that God doesn't know you unless you choose to make yourself known to God. So obviously, your view of God is that he's not all-knowing.

I don't make definitions for God, I allow God to define.