Total Posts:65|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is this Scary

bulproof
Posts: 25,171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 2:01:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?
Damn forgot the link.
http://rosetta.jpl.nasa.gov...
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 3:30:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Personally, I don't see how it's anything but exciting. I know that no matter how obviously innocuous a science project, there are religious people who somehow twist it into being something threatening, haphazard or the end of the world. But I don't know how they might go about trying to find a way to suggest this to be anything less than a fantastic endeavor in the name of knowledge - to understand comets in a way never before attained.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Posts: 25,171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 4:04:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 3:30:00 AM, Beastt wrote:
Personally, I don't see how it's anything but exciting. I know that no matter how obviously innocuous a science project, there are religious people who somehow twist it into being something threatening, haphazard or the end of the world. But I don't know how they might go about trying to find a way to suggest this to be anything less than a fantastic endeavor in the name of knowledge - to understand comets in a way never before attained.

Oh I'm excited by it, but what will knowledge gained from a 4 billion year old galactic mountain do to the fundies.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 4:18:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 4:04:04 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 3:30:00 AM, Beastt wrote:
Personally, I don't see how it's anything but exciting. I know that no matter how obviously innocuous a science project, there are religious people who somehow twist it into being something threatening, haphazard or the end of the world. But I don't know how they might go about trying to find a way to suggest this to be anything less than a fantastic endeavor in the name of knowledge - to understand comets in a way never before attained.

Oh I'm excited by it, but what will knowledge gained from a 4 billion year old galactic mountain do to the fundies.

Nothing.

- Galileo's confirmation of heliocentrism didn't cause them much pause.
- The discovery that the Earth is spherical rather than a flat circle didn't make them sweat.
- The four blatant faults in the first 17-verses of Genesis doesn't make them stop and think.
- Evolution has received their attention, but they simply deny it.

So I'm not sure what we might find out about comets which changes their minds. The Bible has been disproved hundreds of times over, and still the fundies cling to it like a dung beetle hoarding it's ball.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Posts: 25,171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 5:03:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 4:18:06 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 11/12/2014 4:04:04 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 3:30:00 AM, Beastt wrote:
Personally, I don't see how it's anything but exciting. I know that no matter how obviously innocuous a science project, there are religious people who somehow twist it into being something threatening, haphazard or the end of the world. But I don't know how they might go about trying to find a way to suggest this to be anything less than a fantastic endeavor in the name of knowledge - to understand comets in a way never before attained.

Oh I'm excited by it, but what will knowledge gained from a 4 billion year old galactic mountain do to the fundies.

Nothing.

- Galileo's confirmation of heliocentrism didn't cause them much pause.
- The discovery that the Earth is spherical rather than a flat circle didn't make them sweat.
- The four blatant faults in the first 17-verses of Genesis doesn't make them stop and think.
- Evolution has received their attention, but they simply deny it.

So I'm not sure what we might find out about comets which changes their minds. The Bible has been disproved hundreds of times over, and still the fundies cling to it like a dung beetle hoarding it's ball.

Yes but at least a dung beetle has a reason, does that tell us something?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 5:14:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 5:03:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 4:18:06 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 11/12/2014 4:04:04 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 3:30:00 AM, Beastt wrote:
Personally, I don't see how it's anything but exciting. I know that no matter how obviously innocuous a science project, there are religious people who somehow twist it into being something threatening, haphazard or the end of the world. But I don't know how they might go about trying to find a way to suggest this to be anything less than a fantastic endeavor in the name of knowledge - to understand comets in a way never before attained.

Oh I'm excited by it, but what will knowledge gained from a 4 billion year old galactic mountain do to the fundies.

Nothing.

- Galileo's confirmation of heliocentrism didn't cause them much pause.
- The discovery that the Earth is spherical rather than a flat circle didn't make them sweat.
- The four blatant faults in the first 17-verses of Genesis doesn't make them stop and think.
- Evolution has received their attention, but they simply deny it.

So I'm not sure what we might find out about comets which changes their minds. The Bible has been disproved hundreds of times over, and still the fundies cling to it like a dung beetle hoarding it's ball.

Yes but at least a dung beetle has a reason, does that tell us something?

I suppose it's not beyond making the argument that a comparison of intellects may be in order.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Posts: 25,171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 8:23:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 5:14:03 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 11/12/2014 5:03:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 4:18:06 AM, Beastt wrote:
At 11/12/2014 4:04:04 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 3:30:00 AM, Beastt wrote:
Personally, I don't see how it's anything but exciting. I know that no matter how obviously innocuous a science project, there are religious people who somehow twist it into being something threatening, haphazard or the end of the world. But I don't know how they might go about trying to find a way to suggest this to be anything less than a fantastic endeavor in the name of knowledge - to understand comets in a way never before attained.

Oh I'm excited by it, but what will knowledge gained from a 4 billion year old galactic mountain do to the fundies.

Nothing.

- Galileo's confirmation of heliocentrism didn't cause them much pause.
- The discovery that the Earth is spherical rather than a flat circle didn't make them sweat.
- The four blatant faults in the first 17-verses of Genesis doesn't make them stop and think.
- Evolution has received their attention, but they simply deny it.

So I'm not sure what we might find out about comets which changes their minds. The Bible has been disproved hundreds of times over, and still the fundies cling to it like a dung beetle hoarding it's ball.

Yes but at least a dung beetle has a reason, does that tell us something?

I suppose it's not beyond making the argument that a comparison of intellects may be in order.

So fundies are you afraid of what they might find on the comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko?
They are looking for evidence for the beginning of the universe and the earth, that must be scary.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 10:00:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

Well it won;t mean anything to my religious beliefs because it won't change anything.

The trouble that those who wriggle round trying to deny God's word is that all they end up with is another question.

If they do find the building blocks of life on there, how did they get there?

Did they spread there from any one of the myriad chunks that have been knocked off the earth since it's creation?

Were comets merely a part of the delivery system?

But most importantly of all does it really matter how God did it? anyone who isn't afraid to face the evidence knows he did.
bulproof
Posts: 25,171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 10:03:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 10:00:49 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Were comets merely a part of the delivery system?
Not according to you and your book of fables.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 10:03:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

Oh,and yes I did watch the program on Nat Geo about it. If people are going to waste billions of dollars that could be infinitely better used feeding the starving millions I suppose I may as well enjoy what little success it brings them, if any.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 10:29:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 10:03:26 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 10:00:49 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Were comets merely a part of the delivery system?
Not according to you and your book of fables.

The Bible doesn't go into details so it is far from impossible. We know God did it, but we have absolutely no idea how.

Actually not entirely true. We know he creates natural events and then uses them to achieve his ends, like for instance he simply created the basic kinds of animals and programmed them to slowly adapt at need.

Therefore he could easily have used comets, meteorites etc. as part of the logistics of getting what he wanted where he wanted it.

I am not sure what difference it would make if we did know. None to me certainly.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 10:57:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

Incidentally, the fact that they were able successfully, over a period of 10 years, most of which was in hibernation, were able to carry this out almost to the second shows how reliable and predictable God's creation is.

There is no better evidence that this universe and all that is in it was designed by an absolutely brilliant mind. Far more brilliant than we can even guess.

Any who continue to deny the creator after all this evidence, as well as the masses of evidence of God's wisdom and intelligence in every part of creation, is eitehr almost imbecilic, utterly stubborn, or simply well and truly brainwashed y Satan's world.

If they were inexcusable in Paul's day, how much more so in our day as we learn more and more that supports design against accident?

Yes I know I will get cries of "What evidence", but the only reason they can't see it for themselves is because they choose not to for any or all of the above reasons.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 11:52:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

Exciting. In a good way. ;) It plucks my heart strings.

Religion. Boring.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 12:32:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

done before.

go japan!

http://en.wikipedia.org...
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 12:35:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 12:32:14 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

done before.

go japan!

http://en.wikipedia.org...

It doesn't count if it was Japan. :P
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 2:06:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think it's pretty scary that some people might think it was scary. Make that... "horrifying"!
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Posts: 25,171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 7:16:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 10:57:29 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
If they were inexcusable in Paul's day
Is that a 200 billion yr day or is it from 3pence to a farthing?
It's just we know that you have no idea what a day is.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 8:06:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 7:16:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 10:57:29 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
If they were inexcusable in Paul's day
Is that a 200 billion yr day or is it from 3pence to a farthing?
It's just we know that you have no idea what a day is.

No it is the kind of day that most people mean when they say things like "in my father's day" or "in Noah's day".

I know only too well the many meanings of the word day, however it seems you are stuck one a very few. Another fact you refuse to recognise because it doesn't suit you?

Here's the list,complete with teh source of that list as a link at the end.

"Full Definition of DAY

1
a : the time of light between one night and the next
b : daylight 1
c : daytime

2: the period of rotation of a planet (as earth) or a moon on its axis

3: the mean solar day of 24 hours beginning at mean midnight

4: a specified day or date

5: a specified time or period : age <in grandfather's day> "often used in plural <the old days> <the days of sailing ships>

6: the conflict or contention of the day <played hard and won the day>

7: the time established by usage or law for work, school, or business"

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 8:44:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

I think it's fascinating how God dreamed all these things up within His mind. He even has some of His people believing in aliens and spaceships besides automobiles, trains and planes that most of His people are familiar with.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 9:17:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 8:06:25 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 11/13/2014 7:16:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 10:57:29 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
If they were inexcusable in Paul's day
Is that a 200 billion yr day or is it from 3pence to a farthing?
It's just we know that you have no idea what a day is.

No it is the kind of day that most people mean when they say things like "in my father's day" or "in Noah's day".

I know only too well the many meanings of the word day, however it seems you are stuck one a very few. Another fact you refuse to recognise because it doesn't suit you?

Here's the list,complete with teh source of that list as a link at the end.


"Full Definition of DAY

1
a : the time of light between one night and the next
b : daylight 1
c : daytime

2: the period of rotation of a planet (as earth) or a moon on its axis

3: the mean solar day of 24 hours beginning at mean midnight

4: a specified day or date

5: a specified time or period : age <in grandfather's day> "often used in plural <the old days> <the days of sailing ships>

6: the conflict or contention of the day <played hard and won the day>

7: the time established by usage or law for work, school, or business"

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Actually you're wrong. A day is relative. A day on Jupiter lasts 9 hrs and 56 min, but if you spent a year on Jupiter you'd be there for 12 years (but just 1 on Earth!). In contrast, a day on Mercury is 1407.5 hours long, however a year on Mercury is only 88 Earth days long. Light travels at a speed of 186,000 mile per second. Light would circum-navigate the Earth's equator approximately 7.5 times in 1 second. It takes the Sun's light 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the Earth. The nearest star outside of our solar system is 4.24 light-years away (Alpha Centauri). The nearest galaxy out side of the Milky Way is 2,538,000 (2.5 million) light years away (Andromeda). And the edge of the observable universe at about 46-47 billion light-years away.

If God made all of it for us, I think it would be an awful waste of space for a bunch of smack talking apes. So the next time you feel as though our silly little Earth days (which by the way are really 23.934 hours long) mean anything, walk outside and look up.

Meanwhile my daughter just used Elmer's Glue to attach a Rubbermaid container to my $300 ottoman. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things. Nope. But I better go do some damage control. Have a nice day :)
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 10:01:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

Exciting for people who enjoy learning about reality.

Scary? If your talking about the same people who accept genesis and reject evolution... No.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 10:04:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/12/2014 10:57:29 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Incidentally, the fact that they were able successfully, over a period of 10 years, most of which was in hibernation, were able to carry this out almost to the second shows how reliable and predictable God's creation is.

There is no better evidence that this universe and all that is in it was designed by an absolutely brilliant mind. Far more brilliant than we can even guess.

Any who continue to deny the creator after all this evidence, as well as the masses of evidence of God's wisdom and intelligence in every part of creation, is eitehr almost imbecilic, utterly stubborn, or simply well and truly brainwashed y Satan's world.

You haven't provided any evidence, just non sequiturs.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 10:48:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 9:17:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 11/13/2014 8:06:25 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 11/13/2014 7:16:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 10:57:29 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
If they were inexcusable in Paul's day
Is that a 200 billion yr day or is it from 3pence to a farthing?
It's just we know that you have no idea what a day is.

No it is the kind of day that most people mean when they say things like "in my father's day" or "in Noah's day".

I know only too well the many meanings of the word day, however it seems you are stuck one a very few. Another fact you refuse to recognise because it doesn't suit you?

Here's the list,complete with teh source of that list as a link at the end.


"Full Definition of DAY

1
a : the time of light between one night and the next
b : daylight 1
c : daytime

2: the period of rotation of a planet (as earth) or a moon on its axis

3: the mean solar day of 24 hours beginning at mean midnight

4: a specified day or date

5: a specified time or period : age <in grandfather's day> "often used in plural <the old days> <the days of sailing ships>

6: the conflict or contention of the day <played hard and won the day>

7: the time established by usage or law for work, school, or business"

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Actually you're wrong. A day is relative. A day on Jupiter lasts 9 hrs and 56 min, but if you spent a year on Jupiter you'd be there for 12 years (but just 1 on Earth!). In contrast, a day on Mercury is 1407.5 hours long, however a year on Mercury is only 88 Earth days long. Light travels at a speed of 186,000 mile per second. Light would circum-navigate the Earth's equator approximately 7.5 times in 1 second. It takes the Sun's light 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the Earth. The nearest star outside of our solar system is 4.24 light-years away (Alpha Centauri). The nearest galaxy out side of the Milky Way is 2,538,000 (2.5 million) light years away (Andromeda). And the edge of the observable universe at about 46-47 billion light-years away.


Which fits in precisely with definition 2 above

If God made all of it for us, I think it would be an awful waste of space for a bunch of smack talking apes. So the next time you feel as though our silly little Earth days (which by the way are really 23.934 hours long) mean anything, walk outside and look up.

I have never said they mean anything otehr than dictionarties say they mean.


Meanwhile my daughter just used Elmer's Glue to attach a Rubbermaid container to my $300 ottoman. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things. Nope. But I better go do some damage control. Have a nice day :)

That's a lot to pay for an ottoman, lol, I get most of my stuff eitehr from charity shops or off ebay. Much better value.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 10:49:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 10:04:27 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/12/2014 10:57:29 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Incidentally, the fact that they were able successfully, over a period of 10 years, most of which was in hibernation, were able to carry this out almost to the second shows how reliable and predictable God's creation is.

There is no better evidence that this universe and all that is in it was designed by an absolutely brilliant mind. Far more brilliant than we can even guess.

Any who continue to deny the creator after all this evidence, as well as the masses of evidence of God's wisdom and intelligence in every part of creation, is eitehr almost imbecilic, utterly stubborn, or simply well and truly brainwashed y Satan's world.

You haven't provided any evidence, just non sequiturs.

Oh I have provided lots of real evidence. Is it my fault you refuse to recognise them for what they are? No, it's your choice.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 10:52:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 10:01:33 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 11/12/2014 2:00:22 AM, bulproof wrote:
Is the landing of Philae on Comet 67P/Churyumov"Gerasimenko scary or exciting, what could it mean for religious beliefs?

Exciting for people who enjoy learning about reality.

Scary? If your talking about the same people who accept genesis and reject evolution... No.

I wouldn't say I find it exciting, though I did watch it, out of curiosity, but it can only give me more detail of how God did things than I really need so nothing more than curiosity really.

So far I find that the very fact that they were able to do what they did was a testament to the quality of God's design and building work, and a powerful argument against the thought that all this is just coincidence or accident.

Of course I don;t expect you to agree simply because you don;t want to.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 11:35:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 10:48:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 11/13/2014 9:17:32 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 11/13/2014 8:06:25 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 11/13/2014 7:16:02 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 11/12/2014 10:57:29 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
If they were inexcusable in Paul's day
Is that a 200 billion yr day or is it from 3pence to a farthing?
It's just we know that you have no idea what a day is.

No it is the kind of day that most people mean when they say things like "in my father's day" or "in Noah's day".

I know only too well the many meanings of the word day, however it seems you are stuck one a very few. Another fact you refuse to recognise because it doesn't suit you?

Here's the list,complete with teh source of that list as a link at the end.


"Full Definition of DAY

1
a : the time of light between one night and the next
b : daylight 1
c : daytime

2: the period of rotation of a planet (as earth) or a moon on its axis

3: the mean solar day of 24 hours beginning at mean midnight

4: a specified day or date

5: a specified time or period : age <in grandfather's day> "often used in plural <the old days> <the days of sailing ships>

6: the conflict or contention of the day <played hard and won the day>

7: the time established by usage or law for work, school, or business"

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Actually you're wrong. A day is relative. A day on Jupiter lasts 9 hrs and 56 min, but if you spent a year on Jupiter you'd be there for 12 years (but just 1 on Earth!). In contrast, a day on Mercury is 1407.5 hours long, however a year on Mercury is only 88 Earth days long. Light travels at a speed of 186,000 mile per second. Light would circum-navigate the Earth's equator approximately 7.5 times in 1 second. It takes the Sun's light 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach the Earth. The nearest star outside of our solar system is 4.24 light-years away (Alpha Centauri). The nearest galaxy out side of the Milky Way is 2,538,000 (2.5 million) light years away (Andromeda). And the edge of the observable universe at about 46-47 billion light-years away.


Which fits in precisely with definition 2 above

If God made all of it for us, I think it would be an awful waste of space for a bunch of smack talking apes. So the next time you feel as though our silly little Earth days (which by the way are really 23.934 hours long) mean anything, walk outside and look up.

I have never said they mean anything otehr than dictionarties say they mean.


Meanwhile my daughter just used Elmer's Glue to attach a Rubbermaid container to my $300 ottoman. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things. Nope. But I better go do some damage control. Have a nice day :)

That's a lot to pay for an ottoman, lol, I get most of my stuff eitehr from charity shops or off ebay. Much better value.

Yes it is. And I got it on sale for that price with a sofa and chair. I'm embarrassed to even say what those cost.

So what do you think about the size of our known universe? Do you think it's awe inspiring? It's pretty astounding. If light travels 186,000 miles per second, a light year is roughly 6 trillion miles.

The observable universe is approximately 46 billion light years across if measured it by radius. So multiply 6 trillion by 46 billion and you have it in miles. It's absurdly huge. Do you think God made it for human beings? The population of the earth is roughly 7.1 billion. If everyone on Earth stood shoulder to shoulder, we could all fit within the city limits of Los Angeles. Like I said, an awful waste of space for a few smack talking apes.

Why would God make so much space for so few?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 12:15:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 11:35:58 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 11/13/2014 10:48:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:


That's a lot to pay for an ottoman, lol, I get most of my stuff eitehr from charity shops or off ebay. Much better value.

Yes it is. And I got it on sale for that price with a sofa and chair. I'm embarrassed to even say what those cost.

Hope you got the glue off OK anyway.


So what do you think about the size of our known universe? Do you think it's awe inspiring? It's pretty astounding. If light travels 186,000 miles per second, a light year is roughly 6 trillion miles.

The observable universe is approximately 46 billion light years across if measured it by radius. So multiply 6 trillion by 46 billion and you have it in miles. It's absurdly huge. Do you think God made it for human beings? The population of the earth is roughly 7.1 billion. If everyone on Earth stood shoulder to shoulder, we could all fit within the city limits of Los Angeles. Like I said, an awful waste of space for a few smack talking apes.

Why would God make so much space for so few?

Your first paragraphs in themselves raise some interesting questions in my mind, the most persistent of which is, if light takes that long to reach us from them how do we know they are even still there?, they certainly aren't still where we "see" them.

There are so many "whys" that could be asked and for most of them the answer is simply "because he wanted to".

Why did he create us with the ability to enjoy so many things that really we have no need to enjoy.

Why give us such beautiful coloured vision?

Why create so much beauty in fact?

Could it not be because he wants us to love our home, and enjoy it to the full?

So much space in what sense?

So much space on the earth?

It would be no good it simply being big enough for us all to stand shoulder to shoulder in, it has to have enough fertile area to allow us to grow food for all who live on it.
It was also intended to be an earth wide "Garden of Pleasure", which is apparently an approximate translation of the original words now translated as "Garden of Eden".

For it to be such a place requires space, it needs to be big enough for us all too live a reasonable distance from each other, not crowded in on top of each pother as we mainly do at present.

Cities are not a natural way for mankind to live, they not only create stresses in people which often explode into violence, but they also have an adverse effect on the weather because they are man made and act like massive heat sinks that release their heat at night, and which cause very powerful thermal currents which affect the weather.

It is not for nothing than may people say that you are never closer to God than in a garden, because that is the environment we were designed for.

As scripture tells us, the earth was made for man, not man for the earth. It was designed and intended to be the perfect home for us, and to be filled with Adam and Eve like people who had the opportunity to live forever if they chose to remain faithful.

God's instruction to them was to "fill the earth", at the same time as working to maintain and expand the Garden of Eden.

Of course that instruction alone leads to the question of the likely cessation of childbirth at some future time.

That thought should not be too surprising to those who consider that Angels do not reproduce, and Jesus foretold that in future those who had a part in the resurrection would be "like the Angels, neither marrying or being given in marriage".

God wanted us to have space, not to be crammed together like battery chickens as we all too often are at the moment.

He will get his way. No-one, not even Satan, can prevent that.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 12:45:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 10:52:44 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Of course I don;t expect you to agree simply because you don;t want to.

And I wouldn't expect you to understand that there are actually people out there who come to their beliefs as a result of logic and reason, not emotion.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 1:17:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/13/2014 12:15:36 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 11/13/2014 11:35:58 AM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 11/13/2014 10:48:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:


That's a lot to pay for an ottoman, lol, I get most of my stuff eitehr from charity shops or off ebay. Much better value.

Yes it is. And I got it on sale for that price with a sofa and chair. I'm embarrassed to even say what those cost.

Hope you got the glue off OK anyway.


So what do you think about the size of our known universe? Do you think it's awe inspiring? It's pretty astounding. If light travels 186,000 miles per second, a light year is roughly 6 trillion miles.

The observable universe is approximately 46 billion light years across if measured it by radius. So multiply 6 trillion by 46 billion and you have it in miles. It's absurdly huge. Do you think God made it for human beings? The population of the earth is roughly 7.1 billion. If everyone on Earth stood shoulder to shoulder, we could all fit within the city limits of Los Angeles. Like I said, an awful waste of space for a few smack talking apes.

Why would God make so much space for so few?

Because maybe God didn't make it for us.

Your first paragraphs in themselves raise some interesting questions in my mind, the most persistent of which is, if light takes that long to reach us from them how do we know they are even still there?, they certainly aren't still where we "see" them.

The further we look into space the further into the past we can observe. That ability to look deep into space has given us a picture of what our universe looked like billions of years ago before the first life on Earth.

There are so many "whys" that could be asked and for most of them the answer is simply "because he wanted to".

And if science stopped asking why and gave it to God, there would be no advancements in science. No cure for debilitating diseases, no clean energy, no understanding of our origins or our geography.

Why did he create us with the ability to enjoy so many things that really we have no need to enjoy.

The real question here, is why do so many people give up on a precious thing such as life to hold out for the promise of an afterlife? Talk about not appreciating a gift.

Why give us such beautiful coloured vision?

The human eye has three color sensitive cones, allowing us to see color. Science. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...

Why create so much beauty in fact?

The universe was beautiful billions of years before Earth.

Could it not be because he wants us to love our home, and enjoy it to the full?

Earth has water, an atmosphere and is positioned perfectly in relation to the Sun to sustain life. It was that way for billions of years before humans existed.

So much space in what sense?

With less space Earth would not be the same and quite possibly would never have sustained life.

So much space on the earth?

Relatively speaking, no. As I tried to explain to you earlier. It is minuscule compared to the unfathomable size of the observable universe.

It would be no good it simply being big enough for us all to stand shoulder to shoulder in, it has to have enough fertile area to allow us to grow food for all who live on it.

There are so few human beings in the universe that if we stood shoulder to shoulder, we would fit within the city limits of Los Angeles. A big place for so few... I cant fathom us being in the center of the universe, and that we are so very important in the grand scheme of things.

It was also intended to be an earth wide "Garden of Pleasure", which is apparently an approximate translation of the original words now translated as "Garden of Eden".

There is no evidence such a place has ever existed.

For it to be such a place requires space, it needs to be big enough for us all too live a reasonable distance from each other, not crowded in on top of each pother as we mainly do at present.

It won't be big enough to sustain the growing population forever. Scientific fact.

Cities are not a natural way for mankind to live, they not only create stresses in people which often explode into violence, but they also have an adverse effect on the weather because they are man made and act like massive heat sinks that release their heat at night, and which cause very powerful thermal currents which affect the weather.

It is not for nothing than may people say that you are never closer to God than in a garden, because that is the environment we were designed for.

As scripture tells us, the earth was made for man, not man for the earth. It was designed and intended to be the perfect home for us, and to be filled with Adam and Eve like people who had the opportunity to live forever if they chose to remain faithful.

Earth was made long before man, and man is not the only species here.

God's instruction to them was to "fill the earth", at the same time as working to maintain and expand the Garden of Eden.

Well, I'm all for having fun.

Of course that instruction alone leads to the question of the likely cessation of childbirth at some future time.

You can't have a species without it. I'm afraid you're putting the cart before the horse.

That thought should not be too surprising to those who consider that Angels do not reproduce, and Jesus foretold that in future those who had a part in the resurrection would be "like the Angels, neither marrying or being given in marriage".

What? Fiction. And because you mention that, I have a future question for you about Seraphim. The OT claims they had relations with human women and made babies.

God wanted us to have space, not to be crammed together like battery chickens as we all too often are at the moment.

Chickens, closer to apes actually.

He will get his way. No-one, not even Satan, can prevent that.

For your sake, I really hope you're right. It will be a lot of wasted life if you aren't.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."