Jump to topic:

God's judgement and mercy

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 1:45:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
one question i get from Bible critics is "I don't deserve to go to hell, why am i forced to change? It's like God is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to obey him." Obviously that is a completely wrong analogy of what God is doing aha. When someone puts a gun to your head, it's typically not because they want you to obey the good but to get things out of you such as money, drugs, etc. God is merciful and loving and trying to save your soul from hell by leading you to the Truth but he is also just. He is not forcing you to change, simply warning you that you will be put on trial for all the wrongs you did in the past. I'm up for discussing this topic.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 2:42:21 PM
At 11/13/2014 1:45:34 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
one question i get from Bible critics is "I don't deserve to go to hell, why am i forced to change? It's like God is putting a gun to my head and forcing me to obey him." Obviously that is a completely wrong analogy of what God is doing aha.

It's also a completely wrong interpretation of what bible critics are stating. It's not a matter of "god" saying ANYTHING. To my knowledge, not one word has ever been spoken in my direction, from any deity. Everything that has ever been "mandated" or "commanded" from within the pages of any "holy" book has come from humans. More importantly, it has come from humans that claim to speak on behalf of a deity that I don't even believe exists. No, "god" isn't putting a gun to anyone's head, forcing them to "obey." Humans are making claims that they attempt to obligate non-believers to accept, and further attempt to incorporate these wild allegations into secular law. No, "god" isn't doing anything. Humans are.

When someone puts a gun to your head, it's typically not because they want you to obey the good but to get things out of you such as money, drugs, etc.

And what do you think the churches get out of controlling your behavior? Peace? Good will toward man? An end to world hunger? The end of war? No, these organizations stand on assertions that they have "heard" what "god" has "commanded" and that they are the sole interpreters of what all of the "holy" writings are trying to convey. They stand in the public eye and claim to be sole and exclusive arbiters of "morality," the "good," and reward/punishment based on dogmatic interpretations of the ignorant writings of ancient civilizations.

God is merciful and loving and trying to save your soul from hell by leading you to the Truth but he is also just.

Not the deity depicted in the Judeo-Christian versions of the deity. Mercy to that deity is contrary to human definition, as is justice. Ignorance inherited from ancient, ignorant civilizations is meaningless, to modern humanity... as it should be.

He is not forcing you to change, simply warning you that you will be put on trial for all the wrongs you did in the past. I'm up for discussing this topic.

No, "he" is the mirage in front of the curtain. Humans are what's behind the curtain, pulling the "levers." No deity has made any demands, ever. They have all been made up, and in every single case, it is humans that stand to gain from those who accept, obey, and kneel. No system of belief should ever be given any consideration, if it puts an human being on its knees, for any reason.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 2:56:18 PM
Humans cannot corrupt the Word of God, they can only present a distorted view on it. Now i agree, there are many churches which are corrupt however a personal relationship with God leads you to the Truth. There are also good churches with the intent to help you and not to get anything out of you.