Total Posts:355|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Christian bible as truth

MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 3:20:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

You might be interested in my debate in progress with Mariobeasley (shameless plug):

http://www.debate.org...

But yes, it would be very, very hard for anybody to prove any text was inerrant, or universally true. Usually one accepts it as true first before looking at the claims within rather than the other way around. All justifications for it being objectively true are post hoc justifications which are invariably.... terrible.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 3:21:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Seeing as its not based in reality? It reminds me of American football. Yay team! Next thing you know they'll be painting their faces, wait a minute, some religions already do that.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bebil10
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 9:08:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Because they refuse to educate themselves. Why would they? They haven't even read the book they claim is truth. You would not believe the number of Christians who claim this and then tell me god doesn't commit genocide in the bible. I mean murder and genocide are gods favorite past times in the bible, you can't miss it.
bulproof
Posts: 25,308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 9:14:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 9:08:50 AM, bebil10 wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Because they refuse to educate themselves. Why would they? They haven't even read the book they claim is truth. You would not believe the number of Christians who claim this and then tell me god doesn't commit genocide in the bible. I mean murder and genocide are gods favorite past times in the bible, you can't miss it.

+1
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 9:46:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 9:08:50 AM, bebil10 wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Because they refuse to educate themselves. Why would they? They haven't even read the book they claim is truth. You would not believe the number of Christians who claim this and then tell me god doesn't commit genocide in the bible. I mean murder and genocide are gods favorite past times in the bible, you can't miss it.

Great, another troll who thinks people of religion can't even read, and are genocidal murderers.

One certain wonders at the education - or should we say the revolutionary zeal - of those who fail to produce education by noticeably ignoring Christ ... in Christian.

Another one! Yeah!!!!

Jut what the forum needs, another indoctrinated atheist devoid of original thought! Yeah!!!
bebil10
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 9:52:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 9:46:56 AM, neutral wrote:
At 11/16/2014 9:08:50 AM, bebil10 wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Because they refuse to educate themselves. Why would they? They haven't even read the book they claim is truth. You would not believe the number of Christians who claim this and then tell me god doesn't commit genocide in the bible. I mean murder and genocide are gods favorite past times in the bible, you can't miss it.

Great, another troll who thinks people of religion can't even read, and are genocidal murderers.

One certain wonders at the education - or should we say the revolutionary zeal - of those who fail to produce education by noticeably ignoring Christ ... in Christian.

Another one! Yeah!!!!

Jut what the forum needs, another indoctrinated atheist devoid of original thought! Yeah!!!

Didn't say you all were murders, saying the bible promotes genocide and murder, but yeah I don't think you can possible open mindedly educate yourself on christianity and actually research the bible and come out a chriistian.

Also, yes christians do have reading comprehension problems, if a book has talking donkeys,talking snakes, magic hair, a guy living in a giant fish, a virgin born saviour who resurrected we can already know we are dealing with fiction. In any other book you would know this as well.
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 10:11:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 9:46:56 AM, neutral wrote:
At 11/16/2014 9:08:50 AM, bebil10 wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Because they refuse to educate themselves. Why would they? They haven't even read the book they claim is truth. You would not believe the number of Christians who claim this and then tell me god doesn't commit genocide in the bible. I mean murder and genocide are gods favorite past times in the bible, you can't miss it.

Great, another troll who thinks people of religion can't even read, and are genocidal murderers.

One certain wonders at the education - or should we say the revolutionary zeal - of those who fail to produce education by noticeably ignoring Christ ... in Christian.

Another one! Yeah!!!!

Jut what the forum needs, another indoctrinated atheist devoid of original thought! Yeah!!!

What you call "devoid of original thought" is just a repeated (and granted a bit boring) response to continued claims that the bible holds more truth, wisdom and moral guidance than should be allowed. We atheists are TIRED of addressing and refuting these obviously specious claims. If you want to say, "Its my faith that propels me to believe in this book with all its horror (which I choose to ignore) and follow the cherry picked ideas (which appeal to my christian perspective) despite the evidence that this book is mostly fiction." then say that. But please don't pretend this mythical text is any more a illustrated adaptation of Bronze and Iron age culture.
neutral
Posts: 4,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 10:11:22 AM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 9:46:56 AM, neutral wrote:
At 11/16/2014 9:08:50 AM, bebil10 wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Because they refuse to educate themselves. Why would they? They haven't even read the book they claim is truth. You would not believe the number of Christians who claim this and then tell me god doesn't commit genocide in the bible. I mean murder and genocide are gods favorite past times in the bible, you can't miss it.

Great, another troll who thinks people of religion can't even read, and are genocidal murderers.

One certain wonders at the education - or should we say the revolutionary zeal - of those who fail to produce education by noticeably ignoring Christ ... in Christian.

Another one! Yeah!!!!

Jut what the forum needs, another indoctrinated atheist devoid of original thought! Yeah!!!

What you call "devoid of original thought" is just a repeated (and granted a bit boring) response to continued claims that the bible holds more truth, wisdom and moral guidance than should be allowed. We atheists are TIRED of addressing and refuting these obviously specious claims. If you want to say, "Its my faith that propels me to believe in this book with all its horror (which I choose to ignore) and follow the cherry picked ideas (which appeal to my christian perspective) despite the evidence that this book is mostly fiction." then say that. But please don't pretend this mythical text is any more a illustrated adaptation of Bronze and Iron age culture.

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.
bebil10
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:16:44 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM, neutral wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:11:22 AM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 9:46:56 AM, neutral wrote:
At 11/16/2014 9:08:50 AM, bebil10 wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Because they refuse to educate themselves. Why would they? They haven't even read the book they claim is truth. You would not believe the number of Christians who claim this and then tell me god doesn't commit genocide in the bible. I mean murder and genocide are gods favorite past times in the bible, you can't miss it.

Great, another troll who thinks people of religion can't even read, and are genocidal murderers.

One certain wonders at the education - or should we say the revolutionary zeal - of those who fail to produce education by noticeably ignoring Christ ... in Christian.

Another one! Yeah!!!!

Jut what the forum needs, another indoctrinated atheist devoid of original thought! Yeah!!!

What you call "devoid of original thought" is just a repeated (and granted a bit boring) response to continued claims that the bible holds more truth, wisdom and moral guidance than should be allowed. We atheists are TIRED of addressing and refuting these obviously specious claims. If you want to say, "Its my faith that propels me to believe in this book with all its horror (which I choose to ignore) and follow the cherry picked ideas (which appeal to my christian perspective) despite the evidence that this book is mostly fiction." then say that. But please don't pretend this mythical text is any more a illustrated adaptation of Bronze and Iron age culture.

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.

Ignore the mass majority of the bible, there is not much more god and his followers like to do then commit genocide and murder in the bible. Name something besides praising himself, that god does more then kill in the bible. I mean the entire new testament is culminated in human sacrifice by scapegoating.
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 2:22:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM, neutral wrote:

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.

Ok, Neutral (the irony is precious) let's clear up some misconceptions:
"over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God."

First, I would hardly call us witless but I will not digress too much and appeal to ad hominem attacks except to say that according to the Huffington post, a recent review of 63 studies using meta-analysis "showed that in 53 of the studies, conducted between 1928 to 2012, there was an inverse relation between religiosity -- having religious beliefs, or performing religious rituals -- and intelligence. That is, on average, non-believers scored higher than religious people on intelligence tests." Does this mean all religious are stupid or that all Atheists are smart - of course not, just illustrating the shallowness of an ad hominem attack.

Second, it IS my choice to ignore the "majority' of the bible - but I have not done so. I have to ask you, have you read the bible - ALL of it?? I find it hard to believe that you have. What I also find somewhat disturbing is that you label atheists as bigots when the "sheet wearing cross burners" you so colorfully described were motivated by the christian right and the Holy bible. So please do not conflate issues or misrepresent certain facts.

It is clear, by the tone of your post, that you are upset - perhaps by the topic or an interpreted generalization of believers. Either way, your rant about hating others.... I will choose to ignore but I do have to address two points of contention:
"Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged. "
First, I will grant you that Stalin was a monster and was probably an atheist but was not without religious dogma. He in fact believed he WAS a god and used this to control his the masses. Second, I do have to ask you for evidence of C. Hitches advocating for genocide.

And lastly, "Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs."
Show me where I(we) have used false propaganda as proof? If we site evidence as proof that the bible is filled with the condoning of slavery, stoning of women, and genocide and then use this to say that this book is not moral - how is it "false propaganda"?

And yes, what the world DOES need are more people challenging religious dogma that for centuries has caused more pain and suffering in the world than any other system and continues to do so today.
Now, before you start telling me that Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong-un were all god-less secularists whose crimes against humanity were greater than any crimes that had come from religious influences you had better do your research and do it well.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 8:22:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

The original writings and spoken words of the prophets and saints were testimonies about who we are and how we got into this world. Once God's people killed all the prophets and saints, they changed up all their original works and added all their religious dogma to them to control their followers. So the Bible contains some original prophecies and a few original ideas written and spoken by God's saints included in their new testament. Most of the new testament is filled with religious garbage that has nothing to do with what the saints testified to.

What most people don't understand is that our Creator planned all this for His purpose.
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 10:48:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 8:22:15 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

The original writings and spoken words of the prophets and saints were testimonies about who we are and how we got into this world. Once God's people killed all the prophets and saints, they changed up all their original works and added all their religious dogma to them to control their followers. So the Bible contains some original prophecies and a few original ideas written and spoken by God's saints included in their new testament. Most of the new testament is filled with religious garbage that has nothing to do with what the saints testified to.

What most people don't understand is that our Creator planned all this for His purpose.

.....and the hits just keep on comin'...
Obed
Posts: 463
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 10:59:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

If you want to find out for yourself if the Bible is true, then get Jesus' teachings in the New Testament and do them, and then you will know.

See John 7:17.
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:05:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 10:59:30 PM, Obed wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

If you want to find out for yourself if the Bible is true, then get Jesus' teachings in the New Testament and do them, and then you will know.

See John 7:17.

I am quite familiar with what the biblical accounts of the alleged Jesus' teachings. In the same regard, should I accept what he says about non-believers? See Luke 19:27.
Obed
Posts: 463
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:09:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 11:05:42 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:59:30 PM, Obed wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

If you want to find out for yourself if the Bible is true, then get Jesus' teachings in the New Testament and do them, and then you will know.

See John 7:17.

I am quite familiar with what the biblical accounts of the alleged Jesus' teachings. In the same regard, should I accept what he says about non-believers? See Luke 19:27.

You should accept everything that Jesus says.

Why are you denying Jesus?
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:22:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 11:09:15 PM, Obed wrote:
At 11/16/2014 11:05:42 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:59:30 PM, Obed wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

If you want to find out for yourself if the Bible is true, then get Jesus' teachings in the New Testament and do them, and then you will know.

See John 7:17.

I am quite familiar with what the biblical accounts of the alleged Jesus' teachings. In the same regard, should I accept what he says about non-believers? See Luke 19:27.

You should accept everything that Jesus says.

Why are you denying Jesus?

Really?? So YOU accept everything Jesus says?? Do you then believe that non-believers should be murdered by your own hand? Do you also believe to give up your job, leave your family and follow him without any concern for "the morrow"?
Why do I deny Jesus? The same reason I deny any other failed apocalyptic prophet. Because there is no evidence that the Jesus (as depicted in the bible) was a real person.
How can you not?
Obed
Posts: 463
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 10:48:13 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 11:22:07 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 11:09:15 PM, Obed wrote:
At 11/16/2014 11:05:42 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:59:30 PM, Obed wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

If you want to find out for yourself if the Bible is true, then get Jesus' teachings in the New Testament and do them, and then you will know.

See John 7:17.

I am quite familiar with what the biblical accounts of the alleged Jesus' teachings. In the same regard, should I accept what he says about non-believers? See Luke 19:27.

You should accept everything that Jesus says.

Why are you denying Jesus?

Really?? So YOU accept everything Jesus says?? Do you then believe that non-believers should be murdered by your own hand? Do you also believe to give up your job, leave your family and follow him without any concern for "the morrow"?
Why do I deny Jesus? The same reason I deny any other failed apocalyptic prophet. Because there is no evidence that the Jesus (as depicted in the bible) was a real person.
How can you not?

Jesus does not tell us to murder anyone.
You do not understand the scriptures.
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:11:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 10:48:13 AM, Obed wrote:

Jesus does not tell us to murder anyone.
You do not understand the scriptures.

Well, I suggest you re-read Luke 19:27. Now, you either believe what is written in the bible or you don"t. What you are not allowed to do is cherry pick and offer personal interpretations of what you think the authors meant. Spinning the scriptures to fit your phantasmagorical Christian view is delusional and not intellectually honest about what the bible actually attests.
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 4:08:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 2:22:05 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM, neutral wrote:

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.


Ok, Neutral (the irony is precious) let's clear up some misconceptions:
"over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God."

First, I would hardly call us witless but I will not digress too much and appeal to ad hominem attacks except to say that according to the Huffington post, a recent review of 63 studies using meta-analysis "showed that in 53 of the studies, conducted between 1928 to 2012, there was an inverse relation between religiosity -- having religious beliefs, or performing religious rituals -- and intelligence. That is, on average, non-believers scored higher than religious people on intelligence tests." Does this mean all religious are stupid or that all Atheists are smart - of course not, just illustrating the shallowness of an ad hominem attack.

Second, it IS my choice to ignore the "majority' of the bible - but I have not done so. I have to ask you, have you read the bible - ALL of it?? I find it hard to believe that you have. What I also find somewhat disturbing is that you label atheists as bigots when the "sheet wearing cross burners" you so colorfully described were motivated by the christian right and the Holy bible. So please do not conflate issues or misrepresent certain facts.

It is clear, by the tone of your post, that you are upset - perhaps by the topic or an interpreted generalization of believers. Either way, your rant about hating others.... I will choose to ignore but I do have to address two points of contention:
"Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged. "
First, I will grant you that Stalin was a monster and was probably an atheist but was not without religious dogma. He in fact believed he WAS a god and used this to control his the masses. Second, I do have to ask you for evidence of C. Hitches advocating for genocide.

And lastly, "Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs."
Show me where I(we) have used false propaganda as proof? If we site evidence as proof that the bible is filled with the condoning of slavery, stoning of women, and genocide and then use this to say that this book is not moral - how is it "false propaganda"?

And yes, what the world DOES need are more people challenging religious dogma that for centuries has caused more pain and suffering in the world than any other system and continues to do so today.
Now, before you start telling me that Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong-un were all god-less secularists whose crimes against humanity were greater than any crimes that had come from religious influences you had better do your research and do it well.

The fact that over 60 million were killed (in total) in WW2--including 12 million within the Holocaust, somewhat challenges your initial assumption that religious warefare overrides that of non-religious.

I'd say piling people into gas chambers and burning them (alive) in ovens counts as a pretty large "crime against humanity".

In addition, numerous atrocities were committed by Stalin--who again was secular and non-religious.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 4:20:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 4:08:18 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/16/2014 2:22:05 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM, neutral wrote:

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.


Ok, Neutral (the irony is precious) let's clear up some misconceptions:
"over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God."

First, I would hardly call us witless but I will not digress too much and appeal to ad hominem attacks except to say that according to the Huffington post, a recent review of 63 studies using meta-analysis "showed that in 53 of the studies, conducted between 1928 to 2012, there was an inverse relation between religiosity -- having religious beliefs, or performing religious rituals -- and intelligence. That is, on average, non-believers scored higher than religious people on intelligence tests." Does this mean all religious are stupid or that all Atheists are smart - of course not, just illustrating the shallowness of an ad hominem attack.

Second, it IS my choice to ignore the "majority' of the bible - but I have not done so. I have to ask you, have you read the bible - ALL of it?? I find it hard to believe that you have. What I also find somewhat disturbing is that you label atheists as bigots when the "sheet wearing cross burners" you so colorfully described were motivated by the christian right and the Holy bible. So please do not conflate issues or misrepresent certain facts.

It is clear, by the tone of your post, that you are upset - perhaps by the topic or an interpreted generalization of believers. Either way, your rant about hating others.... I will choose to ignore but I do have to address two points of contention:
"Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged. "
First, I will grant you that Stalin was a monster and was probably an atheist but was not without religious dogma. He in fact believed he WAS a god and used this to control his the masses. Second, I do have to ask you for evidence of C. Hitches advocating for genocide.

And lastly, "Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs."
Show me where I(we) have used false propaganda as proof? If we site evidence as proof that the bible is filled with the condoning of slavery, stoning of women, and genocide and then use this to say that this book is not moral - how is it "false propaganda"?

And yes, what the world DOES need are more people challenging religious dogma that for centuries has caused more pain and suffering in the world than any other system and continues to do so today.
Now, before you start telling me that Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong-un were all god-less secularists whose crimes against humanity were greater than any crimes that had come from religious influences you had better do your research and do it well.

The fact that over 60 million were killed (in total) in WW2--including 12 million within the Holocaust, somewhat challenges your initial assumption that religious warefare overrides that of non-religious.

I'd say piling people into gas chambers and burning them (alive) in ovens counts as a pretty large "crime against humanity".

In addition, numerous atrocities were committed by Stalin--who again was secular and non-religious.

- "Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews . . . The work that Christ started but could not finish, I--Adolf Hitler--will conclude." -- Adolf Hitler

Hitler was a Catholic and Jesus was the model he believed he was following.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 4:20:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 12:11:02 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/17/2014 10:48:13 AM, Obed wrote:

Jesus does not tell us to murder anyone.
You do not understand the scriptures.

Well, I suggest you re-read Luke 19:27. Now, you either believe what is written in the bible or you don"t. What you are not allowed to do is cherry pick and offer personal interpretations of what you think the authors meant. Spinning the scriptures to fit your phantasmagorical Christian view is delusional and not intellectually honest about what the bible actually attests.

Not that I assign to the New Testament--but isn't that precisely what atheists do?

By selecting one individual verse to fit your argument you are also "cherry-picking".

Moreover, atheists also "spin" biblical scriptures and apply their own interpretations. Thus disregarding all additional context and explanation.

The reoccurring theme within your posts is what applies to atheists does not apply to theists (or rather as you're mostly referring to: Christians) and vice-versa, therefore exclusively presenting double-standards and the usual bias.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 4:35:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 4:20:21 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 11/17/2014 4:08:18 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/16/2014 2:22:05 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM, neutral wrote:

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.


Ok, Neutral (the irony is precious) let's clear up some misconceptions:
"over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God."

First, I would hardly call us witless but I will not digress too much and appeal to ad hominem attacks except to say that according to the Huffington post, a recent review of 63 studies using meta-analysis "showed that in 53 of the studies, conducted between 1928 to 2012, there was an inverse relation between religiosity -- having religious beliefs, or performing religious rituals -- and intelligence. That is, on average, non-believers scored higher than religious people on intelligence tests." Does this mean all religious are stupid or that all Atheists are smart - of course not, just illustrating the shallowness of an ad hominem attack.

Second, it IS my choice to ignore the "majority' of the bible - but I have not done so. I have to ask you, have you read the bible - ALL of it?? I find it hard to believe that you have. What I also find somewhat disturbing is that you label atheists as bigots when the "sheet wearing cross burners" you so colorfully described were motivated by the christian right and the Holy bible. So please do not conflate issues or misrepresent certain facts.

It is clear, by the tone of your post, that you are upset - perhaps by the topic or an interpreted generalization of believers. Either way, your rant about hating others.... I will choose to ignore but I do have to address two points of contention:
"Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged. "
First, I will grant you that Stalin was a monster and was probably an atheist but was not without religious dogma. He in fact believed he WAS a god and used this to control his the masses. Second, I do have to ask you for evidence of C. Hitches advocating for genocide.

And lastly, "Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs."
Show me where I(we) have used false propaganda as proof? If we site evidence as proof that the bible is filled with the condoning of slavery, stoning of women, and genocide and then use this to say that this book is not moral - how is it "false propaganda"?

And yes, what the world DOES need are more people challenging religious dogma that for centuries has caused more pain and suffering in the world than any other system and continues to do so today.
Now, before you start telling me that Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong-un were all god-less secularists whose crimes against humanity were greater than any crimes that had come from religious influences you had better do your research and do it well.

The fact that over 60 million were killed (in total) in WW2--including 12 million within the Holocaust, somewhat challenges your initial assumption that religious warefare overrides that of non-religious.

I'd say piling people into gas chambers and burning them (alive) in ovens counts as a pretty large "crime against humanity".

In addition, numerous atrocities were committed by Stalin--who again was secular and non-religious.

- "Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews . . . The work that Christ started but could not finish, I--Adolf Hitler--will conclude." -- Adolf Hitler

Hitler was a Catholic and Jesus was the model he believed he was following.

That's somewhat debatable. A number of Christian groups were a persecuted under the reign of Hitler; including Catholics. Moreover it was not exclusively those that assisted Jews. His main affiliation to Christianity (or rather Catholicism) was that he was raised Catholic--like many Germans/Austrians during that time.

As for Jesus--that one is again questiobable. (1.) Jesus is believed to be Jew and (2.) The image of "Jesus" and the figure presented in the NT, doesn't exactly correspond with the conduct exercised by Hitler.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Posts: 2,479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 4:45:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 4:20:21 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 11/17/2014 4:08:18 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/16/2014 2:22:05 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM, neutral wrote:

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.


Ok, Neutral (the irony is precious) let's clear up some misconceptions:
"over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God."

First, I would hardly call us witless but I will not digress too much and appeal to ad hominem attacks except to say that according to the Huffington post, a recent review of 63 studies using meta-analysis "showed that in 53 of the studies, conducted between 1928 to 2012, there was an inverse relation between religiosity -- having religious beliefs, or performing religious rituals -- and intelligence. That is, on average, non-believers scored higher than religious people on intelligence tests." Does this mean all religious are stupid or that all Atheists are smart - of course not, just illustrating the shallowness of an ad hominem attack.

Second, it IS my choice to ignore the "majority' of the bible - but I have not done so. I have to ask you, have you read the bible - ALL of it?? I find it hard to believe that you have. What I also find somewhat disturbing is that you label atheists as bigots when the "sheet wearing cross burners" you so colorfully described were motivated by the christian right and the Holy bible. So please do not conflate issues or misrepresent certain facts.

It is clear, by the tone of your post, that you are upset - perhaps by the topic or an interpreted generalization of believers. Either way, your rant about hating others.... I will choose to ignore but I do have to address two points of contention:
"Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged. "
First, I will grant you that Stalin was a monster and was probably an atheist but was not without religious dogma. He in fact believed he WAS a god and used this to control his the masses. Second, I do have to ask you for evidence of C. Hitches advocating for genocide.

And lastly, "Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs."
Show me where I(we) have used false propaganda as proof? If we site evidence as proof that the bible is filled with the condoning of slavery, stoning of women, and genocide and then use this to say that this book is not moral - how is it "false propaganda"?

And yes, what the world DOES need are more people challenging religious dogma that for centuries has caused more pain and suffering in the world than any other system and continues to do so today.
Now, before you start telling me that Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong-un were all god-less secularists whose crimes against humanity were greater than any crimes that had come from religious influences you had better do your research and do it well.

The fact that over 60 million were killed (in total) in WW2--including 12 million within the Holocaust, somewhat challenges your initial assumption that religious warefare overrides that of non-religious.

I'd say piling people into gas chambers and burning them (alive) in ovens counts as a pretty large "crime against humanity".

In addition, numerous atrocities were committed by Stalin--who again was secular and non-religious.

- "Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews . . . The work that Christ started but could not finish, I--Adolf Hitler--will conclude." -- Adolf Hitler

Oh I see, so now I know why so many Jews associate Christianity with Hitler.

I always got the crusades/inquisition and other things but that sometimes went a miss.

Hitler was a Catholic and Jesus was the model he believed he was following.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 4:51:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/15/2014 3:20:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

You might be interested in my debate in progress with Mariobeasley (shameless plug):

http://www.debate.org...

Attention slut.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 4:54:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 4:51:24 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:20:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

You might be interested in my debate in progress with Mariobeasley (shameless plug):

http://www.debate.org...

Attention slut.

Astute observation.
ThinkFirst
Posts: 1,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 4:56:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 4:54:21 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 11/17/2014 4:51:24 PM, ThinkFirst wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:20:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

You might be interested in my debate in progress with Mariobeasley (shameless plug):

http://www.debate.org...

Attention slut.

Astute observation.

ROFL!!! Nah... I "deduced" it from your "shameless plug" admission. That made it so glaringly obvious that even a dumb@55 agnostic like me was able to figure it out.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
Obed
Posts: 463
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 5:14:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 12:11:02 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/17/2014 10:48:13 AM, Obed wrote:

Jesus does not tell us to murder anyone.
You do not understand the scriptures.

Well, I suggest you re-read Luke 19:27. Now, you either believe what is written in the bible or you don"t. What you are not allowed to do is cherry pick and offer personal interpretations of what you think the authors meant. Spinning the scriptures to fit your phantasmagorical Christian view is delusional and not intellectually honest about what the bible actually attests.

That scripture does not tell any Christian to kill anyone.

You need to be more careful of what you say.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 5:16:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/17/2014 4:35:06 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/17/2014 4:20:21 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 11/17/2014 4:08:18 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 11/16/2014 2:22:05 PM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM, neutral wrote:

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.


Ok, Neutral (the irony is precious) let's clear up some misconceptions:
"over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God."

First, I would hardly call us witless but I will not digress too much and appeal to ad hominem attacks except to say that according to the Huffington post, a recent review of 63 studies using meta-analysis "showed that in 53 of the studies, conducted between 1928 to 2012, there was an inverse relation between religiosity -- having religious beliefs, or performing religious rituals -- and intelligence. That is, on average, non-believers scored higher than religious people on intelligence tests." Does this mean all religious are stupid or that all Atheists are smart - of course not, just illustrating the shallowness of an ad hominem attack.

Second, it IS my choice to ignore the "majority' of the bible - but I have not done so. I have to ask you, have you read the bible - ALL of it?? I find it hard to believe that you have. What I also find somewhat disturbing is that you label atheists as bigots when the "sheet wearing cross burners" you so colorfully described were motivated by the christian right and the Holy bible. So please do not conflate issues or misrepresent certain facts.

It is clear, by the tone of your post, that you are upset - perhaps by the topic or an interpreted generalization of believers. Either way, your rant about hating others.... I will choose to ignore but I do have to address two points of contention:
"Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged. "
First, I will grant you that Stalin was a monster and was probably an atheist but was not without religious dogma. He in fact believed he WAS a god and used this to control his the masses. Second, I do have to ask you for evidence of C. Hitches advocating for genocide.

And lastly, "Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs."
Show me where I(we) have used false propaganda as proof? If we site evidence as proof that the bible is filled with the condoning of slavery, stoning of women, and genocide and then use this to say that this book is not moral - how is it "false propaganda"?

And yes, what the world DOES need are more people challenging religious dogma that for centuries has caused more pain and suffering in the world than any other system and continues to do so today.
Now, before you start telling me that Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong-un were all god-less secularists whose crimes against humanity were greater than any crimes that had come from religious influences you had better do your research and do it well.

The fact that over 60 million were killed (in total) in WW2--including 12 million within the Holocaust, somewhat challenges your initial assumption that religious warefare overrides that of non-religious.

I'd say piling people into gas chambers and burning them (alive) in ovens counts as a pretty large "crime against humanity".

In addition, numerous atrocities were committed by Stalin--who again was secular and non-religious.

- "Christ was the greatest early fighter in the battle against the world enemy, the Jews . . . The work that Christ started but could not finish, I--Adolf Hitler--will conclude." -- Adolf Hitler

Hitler was a Catholic and Jesus was the model he believed he was following.

That's somewhat debatable. A number of Christian groups were a persecuted under the reign of Hitler; including Catholics. Moreover it was not exclusively those that assisted Jews. His main affiliation to Christianity (or rather Catholicism) was that he was raised Catholic--like many Germans/Austrians during that time.

As for Jesus--that one is again questiobable. (1.) Jesus is believed to be Jew and (2.) The image of "Jesus" and the figure presented in the NT, doesn't exactly correspond with the conduct exercised by Hitler.

Hitler was raised a Catholic and remained a practicing Catholic. In a private letter he wrote to Gerhard Engel in 1941, he wrote, "I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so." Perhaps more interesting is that Cardinal Michael Faulhaber was a personal friend to Hitler and even visited him while in his private hide-away. The Cardinal reported back to the people of Germany that Hitler was, "a man of God". When Hitler evaded an assassination attempt in Munich in 1939, he proclaimed it to be Providence - God assuring he completed his tasks. In turn, the pope himself wrote Hitler a letter of personal congratulations for his survival.

I'm not saying Jesus was an enemy of the Jews - though the story certainly suggests they weren't his best buds; I'm saying that Hitler saw him as a fighter against the Jews, and saw Jesus as his motivation.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 8:52:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
always a great 11/16/2014 10:57:58 AM, neutral wrote:
At 11/16/2014 10:11:22 AM, MEK wrote:
At 11/16/2014 9:46:56 AM, neutral wrote:
At 11/16/2014 9:08:50 AM, bebil10 wrote:
At 11/15/2014 3:15:57 PM, MEK wrote:
Mario Beasly asked me to not address this on his previous post so am starting a new one per his suggestion.

Why do Christians consider the Christian bible to be true? Is there any evidence that this book (copies of copies of copies written by several different authors) has been divinely inspired any more than the Quran? There are 1.6 billion muslims in the world, most of whom believe Muhammad to be the true prophet and through Gabriel was handed down Allah's instructions as captured in the Quran. Why choose one failed apocalyptic prophet over another?

Because they refuse to educate themselves. Why would they? They haven't even read the book they claim is truth. You would not believe the number of Christians who claim this and then tell me god doesn't commit genocide in the bible. I mean murder and genocide are gods favorite past times in the bible, you can't miss it.

Great, another troll who thinks people of religion can't even read, and are genocidal murderers.

One certain wonders at the education - or should we say the revolutionary zeal - of those who fail to produce education by noticeably ignoring Christ ... in Christian.

Another one! Yeah!!!!

Jut what the forum needs, another indoctrinated atheist devoid of original thought! Yeah!!!

What you call "devoid of original thought" is just a repeated (and granted a bit boring) response to continued claims that the bible holds more truth, wisdom and moral guidance than should be allowed. We atheists are TIRED of addressing and refuting these obviously specious claims. If you want to say, "Its my faith that propels me to believe in this book with all its horror (which I choose to ignore) and follow the cherry picked ideas (which appeal to my christian perspective) despite the evidence that this book is mostly fiction." then say that. But please don't pretend this mythical text is any more a illustrated adaptation of Bronze and Iron age culture.

Right, and we Christians are tired of a bunch of over zealous, witless wonders, running around accusing people of crimes against humanity for having a different opinion about God.

Its your choice to ignore the vast majority of the Bible, and to false tar others in a fit of hatred. Your nothing, as are so many other trolls of atheists, just modern equivalent of guys that now wear white sheets to hide their bigotry. They too burn crosses.

But carry on believing you are against genocide or something when all you do is spill crap onto an internet forum. Darfur doesn't give a rip.

Neither does Stalin - or your boy Hitchens, who openly advocated Genocide. You define yourself only by hating others, and thinking your hatred gives you the right to judge without being judged.

Another atheist hate monger whose proof is his own false propaganda. JUST what the world needs.

I always have to chuckle when perpetrators start claiming they are the victims. ;-)