Jump to topic:

CFZ Initiative

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 11:59:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There are many threads out there with titles like "Answer this, Atheists" or "Show me evidence of your alleged god".

These threads are good and all (not really, actually), but sometimes you want to make a thread that doesn't involve the usual scuffle between theists and atheists or one theist group versus another one. Perhaps you simply want to discuss a Bible verse without some atheist responding with "Why do you believe that long discredited book of fairy tales and misogyny?" Or, perhaps you want to discuss a Quranic passage without some Christian posting "Muhammed was a rapist pedophile".
Am I the only one who finds these kinds of provocative derailments annoying?

That's why I'm starting the Conflict Free Zone Initiative. In threads with titles beginning with "CFZ", there will be no flame wars between Christians and atheists, Muslims and atheists, Jews and atheists, Christians and Muslims, Christians and Jews, Jews and Muslims, or anybody else.
These are to be threads that are not designed to prove one religion/irreligion right or wrong. They are threads where peaceful discussion separate from apologetics and without risk of harassment or insult can take place.
And don't worry; threads that do not begin with "CFZ" are free game for your usual hostile discussions and trading of insults.

Examples of an acceptable CFZ Thread:

"CFZ What does sanctification mean?"
"CFZ Can someone explain the Islamic Calendar to me?"
"CFZ What is acceptable and unacceptable for an observant Jew to eat?"
"CFZ Difference between Catholics and Lutherans"
"CFZ Why do Sikhs carry those weapons with them?"
"CFZ Speaking in Tongues"
"CFZ I am curious about the Watchtower Magazine."

Examples of an UNacceptable CFZ Thread:

"CFZ Religious people should be castrated"
"CFZ Atheists belong in cages"
"CFZ 35 scientific reasons why the Bible is wrong"
"CFZ Muhammad rapes children"
"CFZ All theists deny science"
"CFZ Your god is a repulsive tyrant"
"CFZ Atheists should be stoned to death"
"CFZ Jesus was a myth"
"CFZ I have no more reason to believe in god than I do the Tooth Fairy"
"CFZ Show me the evidence!"
"CFZ The Bible is a book of rape, misogyny, and slavery!"
"CFZ The Christian God is immoral"

And on and on. If you don't want conflict in your thread, do not give it a name that will provoke people.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:41:03 AM
At 11/15/2014 11:59:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
There are many threads out there with titles like "Answer this, Atheists" or "Show me evidence of your alleged god".

These threads are good and all (not really, actually), but sometimes you want to make a thread that doesn't involve the usual scuffle between theists and atheists or one theist group versus another one. Perhaps you simply want to discuss a Bible verse without some atheist responding with "Why do you believe that long discredited book of fairy tales and misogyny?" Or, perhaps you want to discuss a Quranic passage without some Christian posting "Muhammed was a rapist pedophile".

That's why I'm starting the Conflict Free Zone Initiative. In threads with titles beginning with "CFZ", there will be no flame wars between Christians and atheists, Muslims and atheists, Jews and atheists, Christians and Muslims, Christians and Jews, Jews and Muslims, or anybody else.
These are to be threads that are not designed to prove one religion/irreligion right or wrong. They are threads where peaceful discussion separate from apologetics and without risk of harassment or insult can take place.
And don't worry; threads that do not begin with "CFZ" are free game for your usual hostile discussions and trading of insults.

"CFZ Jesus was a myth"

And on and on. If you don't want conflict in your thread, do not give it a name that will provoke people.

Boring.
But a safe haven for the theists who don't even understand the questions let alone have answers for them.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:49:18 AM

"CFZ Jesus was a myth"

What part of debate leaves room for a conflict free zone? Without pro and con there is no debate. Members can PM if they don't want to discuss a topic with every member, especially the ones who appose their claims. What's the fun in a CFZ anyway?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:16:00 AM

"CFZ Jesus was a myth"

And that hits the nail on the head. There are respectful ways to discuss and debate things, and we see in the initial responses the typical brainless responses of the trolls of the atheism.

#1 - conveying things with a modicum of respect does not eliminate pro and con position as the formal debate section easily displays.

#2 - claims that people are too stupid to understand questions? Why would anyone even ask questions of a audience that cannot understand them? The real issue of such approaches is simple flame bait. Its just bashing, and the idea that it produces 'pro' and 'con' discussion rather than emotive flame wars is just silly.

I think you will find that those who disagree with the OP, are those who are least capable of engaging in a civil disagreement. However, the fix for this is not the individual posters, it is ultimately the moderation team.

If the forum leaders want flame bait and enjoy the results of it? That is their decision to make. As posters, we decide whether to tolerate it by staying or leaving.

Fewer and fewer religious posters are popping up here, and those that do spend less and less time here. There is little point in answering the same questions to trolls so blinded by arrogance that they honestly believe NO RELIGIOUS person can even understand the question. They live only to insult.

Its not like other posters don't see the problem, its that the posters are powerless to stop miscreants from misbehaving and destroying any pretense of civil disagreement.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:24:51 AM
The OPer should simply make a request to ignore derailers, trolls, and flamers at the beginning or end of his original post. Aside from a mod, there is no stopping them. I wouldn't mind if they were entertaining or had some sense of humors, but not only do they represent your daily overdose of cognitive lameness, they also seem to possess an extraordinary amount of persistence that rivals the most notorious of pests.

Looking at it, we should have a Mr. Gimpy Extraordinaire award initiative instead (note: We should have a runner-up, I suspect a certain previous poster in this thread will monopolize the dishonor).
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:34:50 AM
At 11/16/2014 3:24:51 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
The OPer should simply make a request to ignore derailers, trolls, and flamers at the beginning or end of his original post. Aside from a mod, there is no stopping them. I wouldn't mind if they were entertaining or had some sense of humors, but not only do they represent your daily overdose of cognitive lameness, they also seem to possess an extraordinary amount of persistence that rivals the most notorious of pests.

Looking at it, we should have a Mr. Gimpy Extraordinaire award initiative instead (note: We should have a runner-up, I suspect a certain previous poster in this thread will monopolize the dishonor).

Poor diddums, kitchen too hot?
IEnglishman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 4:46:52 AM
At 11/16/2014 3:34:50 AM, bulproof wrote:

His exceptions actually apply to you because you are a troll. And evidentally a lot less intelligent than the people you are attacking.
Bulproof admits he's a troll http://www.debate.org... (see post 16). Do not feed.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:09:00 AM

Smh, that is what the tiny mosquito I ignored said.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:11:51 AM
At 11/16/2014 4:46:52 AM, IEnglishman wrote:

His exceptions actually apply to you because you are a troll. And evidentally a lot less intelligent than the people you are attacking.

That's funny, because that sounds like a personal attack.

And this coming from a poster who tried valiantly to provoke me and others in a thread he created.

The irony, the irony.
IEnglishman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:16:00 AM
At 11/16/2014 5:11:51 AM, dee-em wrote:

And this coming from a poster who tried valiantly to provoke me and others in a thread he created.

It's not called trolling when you're telling the truth.
Bulproof admits he's a troll http://www.debate.org... (see post 16). Do not feed.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:24:47 AM
At 11/16/2014 5:16:00 AM, IEnglishman wrote:

Oh, THE TRUTH. Of course. That justifies everything. Lol.

Here is the truth. Bulproof made no personal attack on anyone in this thread. Dragonfang started it and then you piled on. But that's okay. We can take it. What we can't stand is the holier-than-thou hypocrisy.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:31:23 AM

I haven't even turned the stove on yet, are you sure you are cut out for this work?
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:41:50 AM
At 11/16/2014 5:24:47 AM, dee-em wrote:

Here is the truth. Bulproof made no personal attack on anyone in this thread. Dragonfang started it and then you piled on. But that's okay. We can take it. What we can't stand is the holier-than-thou hypocrisy.

Im not sue you are intelligent enough to understand the question dee-ums.

That is not an attack of course. Your standard.

And the point of the OP is made. No matter how civilized or respectful the topic, the trolls of atheism will wreck it - as Dragon fang accurately predicted.

Just have to love the compete inability to discuss the subject at hand when the trolls of atheism get involved.
IEnglishman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:53:19 AM

Actually talking to someone like that is an attack. You're obviously as thick as he is.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 5:58:43 AM
At 11/16/2014 5:53:19 AM, IEnglishman wrote:

Actually talking to someone like that is an attack. You're obviously as thick as he is.

So now we have three personal attacks on atheists by questioning their intelligence. None from the atheist side. Gee, I wonder where the problem might be?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 6:00:19 AM

Why are those protected and defended by the magical and powerful sky daddy so afraid of a comment by one of the doomed?
Can't your all powerful god prevent these written attacks that so harm you and your beliefs in this all powerful god who can't protect you?
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 6:13:29 AM
At 11/16/2014 5:58:43 AM, dee-em wrote:

So now we have three personal attacks on atheists by questioning their intelligence. None from the atheist side. Gee, I wonder where the problem might be?

So you refuse to see your own sides attacks?

Shocking.

That would be the problem dee-um. You. And the rest of the trolls of that atheism who bring in personal attack, which of course you never make, stirring up personal feuds, and then playing the victim.

And the actual topic?

Wow, proceed with respect?

"Its all your fault (pay not attention to my insults please) our side is pure and innocent but not your side - even though you quoting the FIRST insult ... its not really an insult, see ... gosh I have contributed to the this subject."

Atheists need not behave this way. But every subject there is. once the trolls of atheism touch it ... its destroyed.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 6:18:40 AM

"CFZ Jesus was a myth"

So how's that goin' for ya?
Got plenty of support?
Good for you.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 7:33:29 AM
At 11/16/2014 7:27:10 AM, Dragonfang wrote:
I rest my case.

Aren't you lucky that you can actually rest it on your foot, considering it weighs nothing.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 7:50:07 AM

I am aware that most threads created here will not fit the CFZ requirements. The purpose of this is that whenever a thread which isn't a battle between two ideologies is created, it won't be caught in the crossfire.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 7:51:56 AM
At 11/16/2014 6:18:40 AM, bulproof wrote:

"CFZ Jesus was a myth"

Got plenty of support?
Good for you.

This deescalated quickly.

The DDO Blog:

neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 7:57:30 AM
At 11/16/2014 7:50:07 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I am aware that most threads created here will not fit the CFZ requirements. The purpose of this is that whenever a thread which isn't a battle between two ideologies is created, it won't be caught in the crossfire.

As you can clearly see, that is not the case.

It need NOT be that way, but there are a few posters here who will turn a discussion about grape jelly in a religious feud. No matter how polite you are, you cannot control others. When others insist on behaving rudely? That is moderation issue at that point.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 7:57:42 AM
At 11/16/2014 7:51:56 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/16/2014 6:18:40 AM, bulproof wrote:

"CFZ Jesus was a myth"

Got plenty of support?
Good for you.

This deescalated quickly.

I'm agreeing with ya, see my first post.
neutral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 8:06:11 AM
At 11/16/2014 8:03:03 AM, Envisage wrote:
I didn't join a debate forum to not conflict with people....

You didn't join a forum to be a douche either ;-)

There is a difference between debate and merely mudslinging.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:23:24 PM
Allow me to clarify further:

There is still debate in a CFZ thread. However, this discussion is partaken by people who take up two different stances from the same religion. There is no spoken skepticism of that religion in the thread, though people of any religion/irreligion may partake in a CFZ thread.

The DDO Blog: