jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:34:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/16/2014 11:24:27 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
http://m.huffpost.com...

So I was scrolling around and I found this on the Internet. Any thoughts?

I've never read any of Richard Dawkins stuff. I really don't know much about him. But I do find this disturbing because I dislike pedophilia. However the article is short and doesn't go into much detail. Apparently he was the one molested and has gotten over it and prefers not to hold any disdain. I will look further into this. It's interesting and sad.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:37:22 AM
At 11/16/2014 11:34:12 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

I've never read any of Richard Dawkins stuff. I really don't know much about him. But I do find this disturbing because I dislike pedophilia. However the article is short and doesn't go into much detail. Apparently he was the one molested and has gotten over it and prefers not to hold any disdain. I will look further into this. It's interesting and sad.

It's sad because for the first time in Christian history, Christians have something that could work on atheists. I really hope he is playing around and that he doesn't condone this, because that sounds like rape when Dawkins was brought to his knees and filled up like that.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:37:30 AM

It seems fair, what Dawkins said. I am not sure if that would be my position, since I do not know what the values of society were all those years ago, big changes clearly have happened over 60 years. The west is rather unrecognisable in many aspects.

When looking at the responses from others in the article, they seem to be talking past Dawkin's point. The question isn't whether or not the harm is the same over the time periods, but whether we should judge the actions according to the same standards. So much of what the responses said were rather irrelevant.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:45:26 AM
At 11/16/2014 11:37:30 AM, Envisage wrote:

It seems fair, what Dawkins said. I am not sure if that would be my position, since I do not know what the values of society were all those years ago, big changes clearly have happened over 60 years. The west is rather unrecognisable in many aspects.

When looking at the responses from others in the article, they seem to be talking past Dawkin's point. The question isn't whether or not the harm is the same over the time periods, but whether we should judge the actions according to the same standards. So much of what the responses said were rather irrelevant.

But is it ok for somebody to molest a child like that? Even though the one child is ok at first?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:53:15 AM
At 11/16/2014 11:37:22 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

It's sad because for the first time in Christian history, Christians have something that could work on atheists. I really hope he is playing around and that he doesn't condone this, because that sounds like rape when Dawkins was brought to his knees and filled up like that.

I don't see him as the leader of atheists. So I'm not sure it'll have the same impact as the priest scandals. And he isn't the one that did the molestation.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 11:59:16 AM
At 11/16/2014 11:53:15 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

I don't see him as the leader of atheists. So I'm not sure it'll have the same impact as the priest scandals. And he isn't the one that did the molestation.

Correct, but he didn't find anything wrong with being molested.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:02:34 PM
At 11/16/2014 11:59:16 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:

True. But maybe he doesn't play the victim role very well and prefers to put it in the past. I know I would want to leave it in the past too. Nobody is perfect not even him. A very interesting article indeed.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:27:37 PM
At 11/16/2014 12:02:34 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

True. But maybe he doesn't play the victim role very well and prefers to put it in the past. I know I would want to leave it in the past too. Nobody is perfect not even him. A very interesting article indeed.

I'd be forgiving too, but I would tell people not to do it because of the psychological damage that gets done with kids. Catholic priests have been doing it for a while and it makes me sick to my stomach that dawkins does not condemn pedophilia at a mild stage.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:32:28 PM
At 11/16/2014 11:45:26 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 11/16/2014 11:37:30 AM, Envisage wrote:

But is it ok for somebody to molest a child like that? Even though the one child is ok at first?

Depends on what you mean by 'ok'...

If you mean socially permissible, then no, and given it is not an all or nothing value judgement I would argue it is less 'ok' now than it was before. Which was Dawkin's point.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 1:45:45 PM
At 11/16/2014 12:27:37 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 11/16/2014 12:02:34 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

I'd be forgiving too, but I would tell people not to do it because of the psychological damage that gets done with kids. Catholic priests have been doing it for a while and it makes me sick to my stomach that dawkins does not condemn pedophilia at a mild stage.

He said we have different standards today, and to apply them to an era gone by is pointless. He said nothing about mild pedophilia being acceptable in today's day and age, in fact he endorsed the standards of today.

"I am very conscious that you can't condemn people of an earlier era by the standards of ours. Just as we don't look back at the 18th and 19th centuries and condemn people for racism in the same way as we would condemn a modern person for racism, I look back a few decades to my childhood and see things like caning, like mild pedophilia, and can't find it in me to condemn it by the same standards as I or anyone would today," he said.

I have no idea why Dawkins being forgiving torwards his molester should cause that much controversy.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
UchihaMadara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 1:48:18 PM

As much as I dislike Dawkins, I don't see what all the "outrage" is about, for many of the same reasons that Envisage pointed out.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2014 12:28:54 PM

It's sad because for the first time in Christian history, Christians have something that could work on atheists.

lol! We've done pretty well for a group that has had nothing in its history that could "work" on atheists!