Jump to topic:

CFZ House Churches

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:19:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Christianity was pretty doctrinally sound back in the early days of the Church, until one day somebody decided to create this large organization called the Church which met in large, fancy buildings.
Today, this problem has grown even worse, with the advent of Megachurches. I propose that House Churches should make a comeback for Christians all over the world, including in wealthy western nations.

Any thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:39:21 PM
At 11/16/2014 12:19:51 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Christianity was pretty doctrinally sound back in the early days of the Church, until one day somebody decided to create this large organization called the Church which met in large, fancy buildings.
Today, this problem has grown even worse, with the advent of Megachurches. I propose that House Churches should make a comeback for Christians all over the world, including in wealthy western nations.

Any thoughts?

I agree there are problems with mega churches, but I don't believe they are the root of the problem for disparate beliefs. Also, I believe house churches might make the problem worse, since it would require more churches to accommodate the current population of believers due to the unavoidable limitations on congregation size. More churches would allow for more diversions of doctrine unless there were a common earthly authority, which would give a lot of power to the governing body.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:43:41 PM
At 11/16/2014 12:39:21 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Any thoughts?

I agree there are problems with mega churches, but I don't believe they are the root of the problem for disparate beliefs. Also, I believe house churches might make the problem worse, since it would require more churches to accommodate the current population of believers due to the unavoidable limitations on congregation size. More churches would allow for more diversions of doctrine unless there were a common earthly authority, which would give a lot of power to the governing body.

Thank you for understanding and respecting CFZ threads.
Now, on to what you said...

Size of congregation would seem to be the biggest problem in my opinion. If doctrine is based off what the Bible says (that is, mainstream doctrine), there shouldn't be too many problems with false doctrines.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 1:28:18 PM
At 11/16/2014 12:43:41 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/16/2014 12:39:21 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thank you for understanding and respecting CFZ threads.

It really has nothing to do with me respecting CFZ threads, it is all in the way you worded your post. Respect deserves respect.

Now, on to what you said...

Size of congregation would seem to be the biggest problem in my opinion. If doctrine is based off what the Bible says (that is, mainstream doctrine), there shouldn't be too many problems with false doctrines.

I don't believe it is clear what the Bible says in all cases. This is why I believe there are so many different interpretations. I get the impression you accept there is some subjectivity in interpretation, to which I would agree. If so, then larger congregations are the best way to limit the diversions of scriptural understanding since fewer interpreters of scripture necessarily means less interpretations.

Out of curiousity, what do you consider to be the mainstream doctrines? I'm not looking to debate it with you, just wondering if I have valid concept of mainstream Christianity.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 3:06:56 PM

Any thoughts?

Anything would be better than mega churches with swimming pools and indoor basketball courts. It's a church not the YMCA. I think that it might be nice, however there is a certain problem with clicks in even the smallest churches. I actually went to a church once and found out they had an "inner circle"... turns out it was a actually a click. Do you propose that house churches would fix the problems large churches are facing? Another thing that I see is that there's a certain allure of a huge church to some people. Its like being part of a country club. ;)

In my opinion it's a turn off.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."