Jump to topic:

Is the book of Job a Parable?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 8:43:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is Job meant to be taken as a literal book based on it's context or is it a parable that offers a moral story involving faith? Thoughts and opinions?

I personally now believe Job is a moral parable.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 8:43:55 PM
At 11/18/2014 8:43:12 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Is Job meant to be taken as a literal book based on it's context or is it a parable that offers a moral story involving faith? Thoughts and opinions?

Literal.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 8:45:21 PM
However, I do admit that their long winded speeches sound nothing like actual conversation. Perhaps they were sending each other letters.

The DDO Blog:

bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 9:04:40 PM

It's for us saints who live a life like Job had to go through before we can be used by God to testify to His knowledge. In order to confidently speak words that He puts in our mind, it takes a lot of trust. Everyone of us saints had to give up everything in this world, including our wives, family, jobs, wealth, etc. until we're made homeless. In this very humbling situation, He forces us to preach the gospel ( His voice ) until we're killed. Once we get the knowledge that we all keep living in Paradise, it's much easier to face our death in this world and continue testifying to His Word ( knowledge ).

Most of the prophets were killed for their testimonies, also. God's knowledge is so different than what the world is used to that it makes no sense to most of His people. We appear crazy to most people. Can you imagine what the Jews thought when Isaiah wrote these words and even spoke them?

Isaiah 41
13: For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Isaiah 43
15: I am the LORD, your Holy One, the Creator of Israel, your King."

Isaiah 45
5: I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I gird you, though you do not know me,
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:20:54 AM
At 11/18/2014 8:45:21 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
However, I do admit that their long winded speeches sound nothing like actual conversation. Perhaps they were sending each other letters.

You think God and Job were writing each other letters?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:44:51 AM
At 11/18/2014 8:43:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Literal.

Why do you think it's literal?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:55:33 AM
At 11/18/2014 9:04:40 PM, bornofgod wrote:
We appear crazy to most people.

Yes, totally raving bat$hit crazy.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:12:20 PM

It's for us saints who live a life like Job had to go through before we can be used by God to testify to His knowledge. In order to confidently speak words that He puts in our mind, it takes a lot of trust. Everyone of us saints had to give up everything in this world, including our wives, family, jobs, wealth, etc. until we're made homeless. In this very humbling situation, He forces us to preach the gospel ( His voice ) until we're killed. Once we get the knowledge that we all keep living in Paradise, it's much easier to face our death in this world and continue testifying to His Word ( knowledge ).

Most of the prophets were killed for their testimonies, also. God's knowledge is so different than what the world is used to that it makes no sense to most of His people. We appear crazy to most people. Can you imagine what the Jews thought when Isaiah wrote these words and even spoke them?

Isaiah 41
13: For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I will help you."

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45
5: I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I gird you, though you do not know me,

To be fair, it does seem that you live a pretty tough life. But I still don't think that anyone will kill you.

The DDO Blog:

12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:49:30 PM

I think it is a good lesson and I believe it really happened also.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:54:46 PM

If it is literal, then it makes one wonder who was observing the conversation between god and satan, and it would seem to suggest god is insecure. What is the point of the story if it is a parable?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 3:00:19 PM
At 11/19/2014 2:54:46 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

If it is literal, then it makes one wonder who was observing the conversation between god and satan, and it would seem to suggest god is insecure. What is the point of the story if it is a parable?

One may do works, but it's faith that counts for salvation. Not pleasing God through works, but trust in him. The next is thinking that all good things are blessings from God. If you note in Judges, some people fell from God and were given to other rulers. Then a savior came to save them. This is showing that it's an endless cycle where people fall, recover and rise up to finally be with God again. It's a story of struggle.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:54:59 PM
At 11/19/2014 11:55:33 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
We appear crazy to most people.

Yes, totally raving bat$hit crazy.

That's the reason most of God's prophets and all us saints are killed. The non-believers think we're crazy and blasphemy their false deities and gods.

Revelation 6
9: When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne;

Psalm 116
16. Precious in the sight of thy Lord is the death of his saints.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:56:31 PM
At 11/19/2014 2:12:20 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

To be fair, it does seem that you live a pretty tough life. But I still don't think that anyone will kill you.

Do you know what I had to go through in order to speak for our Creator?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:01:17 PM
At 11/19/2014 3:00:19 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
At 11/19/2014 2:54:46 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

One may do works, but it's faith that counts for salvation. Not pleasing God through works, but trust in him. The next is thinking that all good things are blessings from God. If you note in Judges, some people fell from God and were given to other rulers. Then a savior came to save them. This is showing that it's an endless cycle where people fall, recover and rise up to finally be with God again. It's a story of struggle.

Christians worry about salvation because they have no knowledge of God to know what God's prophecies are about. There are many prophecies that show God planned the salvation of all His people from their wicked flesh and this world we're all living in. No one will be left behind because we were all created in the mind of our Creator ( the Heavenly Kingdom ). The earthly Kingdom is made up of visible illusions ( flesh and other objects of the universe we perceive ) that made all His people believe in as being real. His fire ( hot molten lava ) at the end of this age will melt everything, including the earth's crust. This will end this first age so we can wake up in Paradise ( New Heaven and Earth ) with our new bodies that will never die again.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:17:04 PM
At 11/19/2014 8:56:31 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

No. What?

The DDO Blog:

bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:38:19 PM
At 11/19/2014 9:17:04 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

No. What?

I had to lose everything in this world, including the body that I once thought that I controlled.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 3:57:37 AM
At 11/19/2014 9:38:19 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

No. What?

I had to lose everything in this world, including the body that I once thought that I controlled.

You lost everything due to your own untreated mental illness.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 8:32:25 AM
At 11/20/2014 3:57:37 AM, annanicole wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

No. What?

It's almost unbelievable how much hate God produced in some of His people.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 8:45:55 AM
At 11/20/2014 8:32:25 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

No. What?

God doesn't produce "hate" any more than he produces "schizophrenia", Brad. God doesn't want you to persist in being mental ill. He has graciously provided means for your treatment if you'll only avail yourself of them.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 8:52:19 AM
At 11/20/2014 8:45:55 AM, annanicole wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

No. What?

God doesn't produce "hate" any more than he produces "schizophrenia", Brad. God doesn't want you to persist in being mental ill. He has graciously provided means for your treatment if you'll only avail yourself of them.

Anna, God is the planner, creator and illustrator ( of His illusions ) of everything. Why can't you understand this fact?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 8:57:10 AM
At 11/20/2014 8:52:19 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

No. What?

Anna, God is the planner, creator and illustrator ( of His illusions ) of everything. Why can't you understand this fact?

Oh, that's right. I forgot. When a drunken derelict butt-rapes an 8-yr-old girl, you've decided that it was God who put the idea is his head!

Do you realize how ridiculous you appear when you babble such nonsense?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 11:22:39 AM
At 11/20/2014 8:57:10 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 11/20/2014 8:52:19 AM, bornofgod wrote:

Isaiah 41

Isaiah 43

Isaiah 45

No. What?

Oh, that's right. I forgot. When a drunken derelict butt-rapes an 8-yr-old girl, you've decided that it was God who put the idea is his head!

Do you realize how ridiculous you appear when you babble such nonsense?

God formed the illusions called a drunken derelict, his penis and the butt of an 8 year old girl that he stuck his penis into. Neither the drunken derelict or the 8 year old girl formed these illusions. All they did was experience what God planned, created and formed. That's what makes this world appear very confusing to God's people. It was intended to confuse them. It's called the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
seeu46
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 1:08:48 PM

I defiantly liked Job, as I also do believe it to be real. I also think it gives a good understanding of one self especially with it being a man like Job. As Satan tried his best to make Job curse God but couldn't.

Job 1:11
But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.

As Job did not.
Job1:22
In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.

And God answered.
Job 2:3
He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against him to destroy him without reason.

As then with this Satan then attacked the health of Job and again claimed in doing so, then Job would curse God.

But again Job 2:10
In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

As Jobs assurance seems to lie in the confidence on what he holds to be true to him, as he answered his wife and with some other statement that equal it to be the same.

Job 2:10
Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?

Or
Job 1:21
the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

Or
Job 13:15
Though he slay me yet will I trust in him.

God rebuked the three friends of Job and also got onto Job but he did not speak about the young one named Elihu. I thought that was a bit strange. But either way I liked it all.

For Elihu also spoke bad on the three friends of Job and on Job also. So it is like both Elihu and God spoke to them on the same things, in a different manner? As I do agree with that you tube video posting on Job. Though Job was very....very right in trusting God with the good and the bad things that happen in life. As it takes a strong faith to do this.

Job was very wrong in thinking that it was his righteousness alone that will save him, and not God alone, for this as well. As if Job could make a case for himself in court, as to why he is so good and so holy and his deeds are good and true. To make a case for his own salvation. As seen below.

Job 23:4
I would lay my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments. I would know what he would answer me and understand what he would say to me. Would he contend with me in the greatness of his power?
No; he would pay attention to me. There an upright man could argue with him, and I would be acquitted forever by my judge.

But after the words of Elihu and then speaking to God he knew the truth of it.
As then did Job know his holy measure was nothing in regards for his salvation. For that trust, he must give it to God as well. God alone will be his savior and not him. God alone was truly righteous and not him.

Hence God daring him to argue with him as if it were like a court case to prove his salvation with himself alone.

Job 40 1:2
And the Lord said to Job: "Shall a fault finder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it."
And again.
Job 40:8
Will you even put me in the wrong? Will you condemn me that you may be in the right?

Jobs answer was silence to the lord but he needed more.

Job 42:6
therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

For that is what we are in comparison to God. So Job learned that he was wicked in comparison to his maker regardless of his supposed good ways in life, as he thought it was his very right. Then God acknowledged his true statement and change.

Job 42:7
for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.

I might have missed something in this but let me know what you think OP?