Jump to topic:

What changed your mind to atheism?

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:22:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems that a large amount of atheists have had a background with religion or belief in God. What caused you to change your mind?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 3:44:01 AM
At 11/19/2014 2:22:42 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
It seems that a large amount of atheists have had a background with religion or belief in God. What caused you to change your mind?

After review of historical mythology, examination of the various sects of Christianity, talking with a few Muslim friends, looking at how religion seems to tie closely to a region in history... that all leads me to believe that religion, as it attempts to explain things can't be true.

That is not to say a God doesn't exist, however as He is described seems contrary to what some one of His described power and intent would do.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
frbnsn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 4:59:53 AM
At 11/19/2014 3:44:01 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

After review of historical mythology, examination of the various sects of Christianity, talking with a few Muslim friends, looking at how religion seems to tie closely to a region in history... that all leads me to believe that religion, as it attempts to explain things can't be true.

That is not to say a God doesn't exist, however as He is described seems contrary to what some one of His described power and intent would do.

I think, you can't match what told you about god and logic, am I right?
Did you ever consider that who tells you about religion don't know sufficiently?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 5:33:12 AM
At 11/19/2014 4:59:53 AM, frbnsn wrote:

Did you ever consider that who tells you about religion don't know sufficiently?

Indeed. The more and more I talked with people, the more and more I could out there are a LOT of people who tell me about religion but don't know (or figure) enough to sound reasonable.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:00:45 AM

We grew up and became adults.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:10:07 AM

Religious hypocrisy in all religions.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:21:00 AM
At 11/19/2014 8:00:45 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

but wait you are mature? u still watching cartoon networks?
Never fart near dog
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:30:08 AM

No evidence for religion, plenty for science.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:41:50 AM
At 11/19/2014 9:21:00 AM, POPOO5560 wrote:
At 11/19/2014 8:00:45 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

but wait you are mature? u still watching cartoon networks?

Squirrel!
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:05:54 AM
This realization that the "relationship" I had with god was one sided. It was a conversation I had for myself with myself. The realization religious people do not appear to be guided by anything other than their own desires wrapped up in a pretend authority was a big one as I watched my church make bad decision after bad decision. Then there were the contradictions between religion and scientific explanations of nature and how science has explanations which are backed by what we actually see. I did not believe long before I ever decided to come out of the atheistic closet. My life was very closely tied to religion, religious people, and my church, but I could no longer call myself a Christian or theist.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:21:54 AM

Sin changed your mind to atheism. It can be called a hardened heart when you turn atheist, dead set in hard heartedness against God.
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:32:23 AM
Why do people reject Jesus? Why do they believe in nothing, or in false gods/goddesses? The Bible tells us why people do not believe. The bible tells us why Jesus does not save many.

Those who don't believe and obey Jesus love darkness instead of light because their deeds are evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

They are stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, and they always resist the Holy Ghost.

They are obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations--

They do evil in God's sight and chose what displeases Him.

That which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations,

They exchange the truth of God for a lie.

They are self-seeking and they reject the truth and follow evil.

They do not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God.

They are hostile to God.

They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

They have been deceived by sin.

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Their minds are on earthly things.

When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart.

There are those who hear the word of God but the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. And there are those who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. There are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life"s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.

They are stubborn and follow their own devices.

They are stubborn; the sinews of their neck are iron, their forehead are bronze.

They have stubborn and rebellious hearts; they have turned aside and gone away.

They do not listen or pay attention; instead, they follow the stubborn inclinations of their evil hearts. They go backward and not forward.

They have stubborn pride.

They refuse to give up their evil practices and stubborn ways.

They are rebellious people, deceitful children, children unwilling to listen to the LORD"s instruction.

Stubborn like a heifer. How then can the LORD pasture them like lambs in a meadow?

Examine yourselves and you will see that the word of God is true.

John 3; Acts 7:51; Isaiah30:9; 65:2; 65:11,12; Romans 1:19-21; 1:25; 1:28; 2:8; 8:7; 2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 3:13; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4; Philippians 3:19; Matthew 13:19; Luke 8:11-16; Psalm 81:12; Isaiah 48:4; Jeremiah 5:23; 7:24; Leviticus 26:19; Judges 2:19; Hosea 4:16.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:37:42 AM
At 11/19/2014 11:21:54 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

Sin changed your mind to atheism. It can be called a hardened heart when you turn atheist, dead set in hard heartedness against God.

This being a case in point of religious people guided by their own desires pretending to be backed by authority. Jesus taught forgiveness and mercy, and your post is neither.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 12:02:22 PM
At 11/19/2014 11:32:23 AM, Obed wrote:
Why do people reject Jesus?

We don't accept the garbage being spewed by you religious folks. Big difference.

The Bible tells us why people do not believe. The bible tells us why Jesus does not save many.

And, we don't give a rat's patootie what the Bible says. There ya go.

Those who don't believe and obey Jesus love darkness instead of light because their deeds are evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

They are stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, and they always resist the Holy Ghost.

They are obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations--

That which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations,

They are hostile to God.

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart.

There are those who hear the word of God but the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. And there are those who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. There are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life"s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.

They are stubborn; the sinews of their neck are iron, their forehead are bronze.

They do not listen or pay attention; instead, they follow the stubborn inclinations of their evil hearts. They go backward and not forward.

They are rebellious people, deceitful children, children unwilling to listen to the LORD"s instruction.

Stubborn like a heifer. How then can the LORD pasture them like lambs in a meadow?

It's hilarious that you believe in all those things about us, yet it's all about your words and what you say here and very little more. No one cares. :)
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 12:05:48 PM
At 11/19/2014 11:37:42 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

This being a case in point of religious people guided by their own desires pretending to be backed by authority. Jesus taught forgiveness and mercy, and your post is neither.

My post is factual. You can't know forgiveness or mercy if you wont' admit guilt. I deal in reality, not religion. Religious people are trusting in their own goodness, like atheists who trust in themselves, to be excused from Hell and they will not be excused from Hell becaue they don't have enough goodness to erase the history of their wrongs......like you. You think you stand in your own right when in reality you die like a dog and you deserve to fall into Hell now. You are making a poor case with no good point trying to justify yourself. Sorry I can't help you. It seems your head is too hard.
ThinkFirst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 12:09:32 PM

The sheer stupidity of so many of the stories, claims, and assertions within the bible and the inability to reconcile biblical claims, assertions, and stories with reality. Furthermore, the injustice, malevolence, and cruelty that passes for "justice, love, and benevolence" in the eyes of the christian faith(s) made be begin investigating other religions. I found that the "spirituality" expressed by ALL of them has ZERO support in reality, fact, or rational and objective evidence. At the end, I rationally concluded that no deity, no religion, and no faith is required, in order to be a decent human being, and all of the promises of "afterlife" in which I had believed, as a child, are completely without merit or support.
"Never attribute to villainy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
-----
"Men rarely if ever dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child. "

-- Robert A Heinlein
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 12:20:25 PM
Why do people reject Jesus? Why do they believe in nothing, or in false gods/goddesses? The Bible tells us why people do not believe. The bible tells us why Jesus does not save many.

They are hostile to God.

John 3; Acts 7:51; Isaiah30:9; 65:2; 65:11,12; Romans 1:19-21; 1:25; 1:28; 2:8; 8:7; 2 Thessalonians 2:10; Hebrews 3:13; 2 Corinthians 4:3-4; Philippians 3:19; Matthew 13:19; Luke 8:11-16; Psalm 81:12; Isaiah 48:4; Jeremiah 5:23; 7:24; Leviticus 26:19; Judges 2:19; Hosea 4:16.

They reject Jesus becaue they love their sin and think the pleasures of sin today are better than the torments of Hell tormorrow.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 12:50:28 PM
At 11/19/2014 12:20:25 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:

They are hostile to God.

They reject Jesus becaue they love their sin and think the pleasures of sin today are better than the torments of Hell tormorrow.

Sorry, that is not a valid reason because those words can be used by any other religion against your religion.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 12:54:29 PM
At 11/19/2014 12:05:48 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 11/19/2014 11:37:42 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

My post is factual.

Which part? The part about hell or your belief in god? These are subjective views (in any of their various differing descriptions), and are completely unsupported assertions. "Factual" to you is something which cannot be shown to be a fact.

You can't know forgiveness or mercy if you wont' admit guilt. I deal in reality, not religion.

You apparently have an unusual definition for "reality" as well.

Religious people are trusting in their own goodness, like atheists who trust in themselves, to be excused from Hell and they will not be excused from Hell becaue they don't have enough goodness to erase the history of their wrongs......like you. You think you stand in your own right when in reality you die like a dog and you deserve to fall into Hell now. You are making a poor case with no good point trying to justify yourself. Sorry I can't help you. It seems your head is too hard.

Your ideas are religious. I'm not sure how you make a distinction between "religious people" and yourself. At any rate, this is a good example of hypocritical behavior based on subjective ideas which demonstrated to me god does not exist.

Thank you for your post though.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 1:56:34 PM
I grew up. Then I grew up a little more and became a theist again. *sunglasses*
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:20:37 PM
At 11/19/2014 12:02:22 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

We don't accept the garbage being spewed by you religious folks. Big difference.

The Bible tells us why people do not believe. The bible tells us why Jesus does not save many.

They are hostile to God.

It's hilarious that you believe in all those things about us, yet it's all about your words and what you say here and very little more. No one cares. :)

Your denial has no bearing on the truth.
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:22:59 PM

They are hostile to God.

That has already been mentioned.
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:26:34 PM

They are hostile to God.

Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:28:02 PM
At 11/19/2014 1:56:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I grew up. Then I grew up a little more and became a theist again. *sunglasses*

Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 2:29:22 PM

They are hostile to God.

It is God's Word.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 3:37:15 PM
At 11/19/2014 2:29:22 PM, Obed wrote:

They are hostile to God.

It is God's Word.

Sorry, but God is not on these forums, you are. YOU are the one writing them down here for us to see, so you should man up to your words rather than sleazily shifting the burden of responsibility onto an invisible god.
Obed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 3:43:02 PM
At 11/19/2014 3:37:15 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

They are hostile to God.

It is God's Word.

Sorry, but God is not on these forums, you are. YOU are the one writing them down here for us to see, so you should man up to your words rather than sleazily shifting the burden of responsibility onto an invisible god.

I get God's words and bring them to this forum.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 5:35:33 PM

The claims of the religious are illogical and not based on reality. My question is, how can anyone with any amount of understanding of religion not take at least an agnostic stand point?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 5:55:48 PM
At 11/19/2014 3:43:02 PM, Obed wrote:
At 11/19/2014 3:37:15 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

They are hostile to God.

It is God's Word.

I get God's words and bring them to this forum.

No, you don't, please stop lying.
frbnsn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 3:52:01 AM
At 11/19/2014 5:33:12 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/19/2014 4:59:53 AM, frbnsn wrote:

I am sure, what you have been told so far are full of esoterics, opposite to logic

Indeed. The more and more I talked with people, the more and more I could out there are a LOT of people who tell me about religion but don't know (or figure) enough to sound reasonable.

I am sure, what you have been told so far esoterics.