jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 2:44:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/23/2014 2:30:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
*Sits back and watches the fireworks*

If anyone even replies, this should be interesting. It's a broad term and they're all right you know. We are all experts on our own faith and Christianity is interpreted differently by most people who follow it. It leaves the rest of us confused and in awe of the impressive level of self inflicted stupidity. I avoid faith in religion for fear of becoming a narrow minded, self righteous, mule wandering through life not living a single day because I'm too obsessed with an afterlife.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:08:28 PM

One who is Christlike, though the term is also used just for anybody who follows the Christian religion, calls themself a Christian, or somebody who got saved.
*Fireworks show ends*
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:13:33 PM
At 11/23/2014 4:08:28 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

One who is Christlike, though the term is also used just for anybody who follows the Christian religion, calls themself a Christian, or somebody who got saved.
*Fireworks show ends*
What exactly do you mean by "someone who got saved"? That can be interpreted in multiple ways.
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:16:18 PM
At 11/23/2014 4:13:33 PM, miraculous wrote:
At 11/23/2014 4:08:28 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

*Fireworks show ends*
What exactly do you mean by "someone who got saved"? That can be interpreted in multiple ways.

Somebody who accepted the Gift of Salvation made possible through Jesus's death and resurrection.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:19:25 PM
Anyone that follows the teachings of Jesus...denominations are just differing interpretations of the Bible (or they make their own books).
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:53:09 PM
At 11/23/2014 2:44:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

It leaves the rest of us confused and in awe of the impressive level of self inflicted stupidity.

^

*looks at the above statement

I avoid faith in religion for fear of becoming a narrow minded, self righteous,

The irony.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:54:55 PM
At 11/23/2014 4:53:09 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 11/23/2014 2:44:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

It leaves the rest of us confused and in awe of the impressive level of self inflicted stupidity.

^

*looks at the above statement

I avoid faith in religion for fear of becoming a narrow minded, self righteous,

The irony.

Haha! Good call. I stand corrected.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 4:58:20 PM
A Christian is anyone who believes in and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. Belief is primary and following is secondary in order to be a Christian.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:29:58 PM

Yes, lol. People let emotions run high, especially when they are aware that what they are teachign is false.

In reality it is very simple. Christ defined it himself in few words.

Matthew 7:21-23
ASV(i) 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

There you go. The one Christ will recognise as a Christian is "he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven."

What is the father's will?

Well Jesus also summed that up when asked what the most important commandment was, and eh summed it all up with two simple commandsm,ent when he quoted from:

Deuteronomy 6:5
ASV(i) 5 and thou shalt love Jehovah thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

and

Leviticus 19:18
ASV(i) 18 Thou shalt not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people; but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am Jehovah.

He then said that by following these two commands we could fulfil the whole of the law.

Much of his ministry was explaing how to do those two things.

How many who claim to be Christian comw anywher near fulfilling both of those two commands, after all, most don;t even know that Jehovah is God's name, they have been taught that God is a Trinity and is simply called LORD, which is a lie.

He also gave another clue when he told teh woman at teh well :

John 4:23-24
ASV(i) 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for such doth the Father seek to be his worshippers. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Note they will worship the Ftaher, not Christ himself.

The Apostles showed they had learned that at places such as Ephesians 1:3 and 1 Peter 1:3; where they praised "The God and Father of our ord Jesus Christ, whihc also shows that they ahd taken to heart what Jesus told MAry at John 20:17

John 20:17
ASV(i) 17 Jesus saith to her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended unto the Father: but go unto my brethren, and say to them, I ascend unto my Father and your Father, and my God and your God.

Jesus has a God.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 5:53:11 PM
At 11/23/2014 5:29:58 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Yes, lol. People let emotions run high, especially when they are aware that what they are teachign is false.

In reality it is very simple. Christ defined it himself in few words.

Matthew 7:21-23
ASV(i) 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

There you go. The one Christ will recognise as a Christian is "he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven."

What is the father's will?

Well Jesus also summed that up when asked what the most important commandment was, and eh summed it all up with two simple commandsm,ent when he quoted from:

Deuteronomy 6:5
ASV(i) 5 and thou shalt love Jehovah thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

and

Leviticus 19:18
ASV(i) 18 Thou shalt not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people; but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I am Jehovah.

He then said that by following these two commands we could fulfil the whole of the law.

Much of his ministry was explaing how to do those two things.

How many who claim to be Christian comw anywher near fulfilling both of those two commands, after all, most don;t even know that Jehovah is God's name, they have been taught that God is a Trinity and is simply called LORD, which is a lie.

He also gave another clue when he told teh woman at teh well :

John 4:23-24
ASV(i) 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for such doth the Father seek to be his worshippers. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Note they will worship the Ftaher, not Christ himself.

The Apostles showed they had learned that at places such as Ephesians 1:3 and 1 Peter 1:3; where they praised "The God and Father of our ord Jesus Christ, whihc also shows that they ahd taken to heart what Jesus told MAry at John 20:17

John 20:17
ASV(i) 17 Jesus saith to her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended unto the Father: but go unto my brethren, and say to them, I ascend unto my Father and your Father, and my God and your God.

Jesus has a God.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 6:09:59 PM
At 11/23/2014 5:53:11 PM, Envisage wrote:

""Science has rendered Theism Unreasonable""

If that is true where are there scientsist who not only believe in God but who also believe that the bible is 100% true and compatable with science?

If you want links to some of their stories I shall be happy to oblige.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 6:14:30 PM
At 11/23/2014 6:09:59 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

If that is true where are there scientsist who not only believe in God but who also believe that the bible is 100% true and compatable with science?

I am well-aware of scientists that believe that, half my friends in academia are indeed religious to various extents. Science doesn't (and can not) directly address God, so it's hardly surprising that is the case, and has no relevance to the case I made in the debate.

Perhaps you should try reading that debate first before commenting.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 6:36:09 PM

Sorry, that should have read "Why are there scientsist who not only believe in God but who also believe that the bible is 100% true and compatable with science?

Unnoticed typo
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 6:38:03 PM
At 11/23/2014 6:14:30 PM, Envisage wrote:

I am well-aware of scientists that believe that, half my friends in academia are indeed religious to various extents. Science doesn't (and can not) directly address God, so it's hardly surprising that is the case, and has no relevance to the case I made in the debate.

Perhaps you should try reading that debate first before commenting.

To be honest I wasn't really concerned who was on what side of the debate, it jsut seemed like a good question to ask when I saw your signature, anda reasonable excuse to ask it.