Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Just Your Average Thread

PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 1:22:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
"I shall proceed to point out every view in my belief system that is incompatible with yours, leading to strife, conflict, and animosity between various members on this site. From there, I will insist you are wrong and that I am right, that your belief system is corrupt, evil, and wrong, and that I am being open-minded. I'm not angry. I'm not agitated. I'm just attacking your arguments and your beliefs, not you. No need to get personally offended. How can you tell how I'm feeling over the internet? Reading the tone of my writing? Impossible. I'll just shrug you off.

Yes, your beliefs are why the world is wrong. If you just stopped believing that and believed in what I believed in, the world would be a better place. Look, look at all these horrible things "your people" has done. What's that? The good things resulting from your belief system? I acknowledge them, but instead will dwell in, focus on, and roll in the filth, evil, and negativity of a belief system I do not agree with, for they outweigh 1000 to 1 the good that your belief system has done. Forget the hundreds or thousands or millions of good things. This is why the world is wrong. Because of your beliefs and your people. Look at all this hatred, animosity, and conflict it has caused."

Folks, this is what I see wherever I go. This forum is just an example. We maintain a pretense of open-mindedness, politeness, and "civil" discussion, but this is ultimately what remains. Instead of focusing on the good that has resulted from another's beliefs system and encouraging them to continue to advance the good in the world, we put each other down by focusing on what the people before us have done and the differences between us. And through our conflict with each other, we ironically point out the conflict that your belief system has caused, not realizing that we are degrading the moral health of society in doing so. If society is comprised of individuals, then the moral health of the society starts with the individual. And if this is the kind of interactions we get when we're talking about religion or belief systems on an individual basis, then this is the kind of interactions we get as a society.

I suppose you can summarize all this in a simple "let's all get along" statement, but that doesn't seem to be enough to get people to get along. Because when you say something like that, it's not uncommon for people to respond with "I'd love to get along, but it's kinda hard when others are shoving their beliefs down my throat."

That right there is one of the problems we have. Yes, there are those who try to shove their beliefs down your throat and may even threaten you by saying that you'll suffer for all eternity. But responding by doing exactly what I have demonstrated above doesn't end the cycle. It just makes it worse. To end the cycle, we must respond with love and kindness, not hatred and anger. To get rid of darkness, you must present it with light, not more darkness.

Now, in the end this is a debate site. There's bound to be conflict, but it shouldn't be like this. Ultimately, I'm just trying to get a message across, so that hopefully we can limit this kind of behavior and not repeat it over and over again. I don't like, however, how I got this message across, because I did it by pointing out the negative things that happen here, which is precisely what I don't want happening. Then again, we have to point out the problem before we can fix it, and that's what I tried to do.

Thanks for reading.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,083
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 2:27:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/25/2014 1:22:24 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
"I shall proceed to point out every view in my belief system that is incompatible with yours, leading to strife, conflict, and animosity between various members on this site. From there, I will insist you are wrong and that I am right, that your belief system is corrupt, evil, and wrong, and that I am being open-minded. I'm not angry. I'm not agitated. I'm just attacking your arguments and your beliefs, not you. No need to get personally offended. How can you tell how I'm feeling over the internet? Reading the tone of my writing? Impossible. I'll just shrug you off.

Yes, your beliefs are why the world is wrong. If you just stopped believing that and believed in what I believed in, the world would be a better place. Look, look at all these horrible things "your people" has done. What's that? The good things resulting from your belief system? I acknowledge them, but instead will dwell in, focus on, and roll in the filth, evil, and negativity of a belief system I do not agree with, for they outweigh 1000 to 1 the good that your belief system has done. Forget the hundreds or thousands or millions of good things. This is why the world is wrong. Because of your beliefs and your people. Look at all this hatred, animosity, and conflict it has caused."

Folks, this is what I see wherever I go. This forum is just an example. We maintain a pretense of open-mindedness, politeness, and "civil" discussion, but this is ultimately what remains. Instead of focusing on the good that has resulted from another's beliefs system and encouraging them to continue to advance the good in the world, we put each other down by focusing on what the people before us have done and the differences between us. And through our conflict with each other, we ironically point out the conflict that your belief system has caused, not realizing that we are degrading the moral health of society in doing so. If society is comprised of individuals, then the moral health of the society starts with the individual. And if this is the kind of interactions we get when we're talking about religion or belief systems on an individual basis, then this is the kind of interactions we get as a society.

I suppose you can summarize all this in a simple "let's all get along" statement, but that doesn't seem to be enough to get people to get along. Because when you say something like that, it's not uncommon for people to respond with "I'd love to get along, but it's kinda hard when others are shoving their beliefs down my throat."

That right there is one of the problems we have. Yes, there are those who try to shove their beliefs down your throat and may even threaten you by saying that you'll suffer for all eternity. But responding by doing exactly what I have demonstrated above doesn't end the cycle. It just makes it worse. To end the cycle, we must respond with love and kindness, not hatred and anger. To get rid of darkness, you must present it with light, not more darkness.

Now, in the end this is a debate site. There's bound to be conflict, but it shouldn't be like this. Ultimately, I'm just trying to get a message across, so that hopefully we can limit this kind of behavior and not repeat it over and over again. I don't like, however, how I got this message across, because I did it by pointing out the negative things that happen here, which is precisely what I don't want happening. Then again, we have to point out the problem before we can fix it, and that's what I tried to do.

Thanks for reading.

Did you post this in the politics section also? You know how unreasonable those liberals/conservatives can be! :-p
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 8:27:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/25/2014 1:22:24 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

Now, in the end this is a debate site. There's bound to be conflict, but it shouldn't be like this. Ultimately, I'm just trying to get a message across, so that hopefully we can limit this kind of behavior and not repeat it over and over again. I don't like, however, how I got this message across, because I did it by pointing out the negative things that happen here, which is precisely what I don't want happening. Then again, we have to point out the problem before we can fix it, and that's what I tried to do.


How are you going to have a debate about anything without opposing views?
Are opposing views a problem in your perception?
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 9:18:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/25/2014 2:27:39 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

Did you post this in the politics section also? You know how unreasonable those liberals/conservatives can be! :-p

Nope, I haven't
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 9:23:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/25/2014 8:27:43 PM, Skyangel wrote:

How are you going to have a debate about anything without opposing views?
Are opposing views a problem in your perception?

There's always opposing views in life.

But focusing on them to create unnecessary, disruptive, and negative conflict shouldn't be what debate is about, yet that's what happens when we get to belief systems.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 10:02:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/25/2014 9:23:51 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 11/25/2014 8:27:43 PM, Skyangel wrote:

How are you going to have a debate about anything without opposing views?
Are opposing views a problem in your perception?

There's always opposing views in life.

But focusing on them to create unnecessary, disruptive, and negative conflict shouldn't be what debate is about, yet that's what happens when we get to belief systems.

Opposing views will always create conflict till such a time as humans learn to connect the opposite sides and understand they need each other if they want to see the whole picture instead of just half the picture.
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 12:54:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/25/2014 1:22:24 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
"I shall proceed to point out every view in my belief system that is incompatible with yours, leading to strife, conflict, and animosity between various members on this site. From there, I will insist you are wrong and that I am right, that your belief system is corrupt, evil, and wrong, and that I am being open-minded. I'm not angry. I'm not agitated. I'm just attacking your arguments and your beliefs, not you. No need to get personally offended. How can you tell how I'm feeling over the internet? Reading the tone of my writing? Impossible. I'll just shrug you off.

Yes, your beliefs are why the world is wrong. If you just stopped believing that and believed in what I believed in, the world would be a better place. Look, look at all these horrible things "your people" has done. What's that? The good things resulting from your belief system? I acknowledge them, but instead will dwell in, focus on, and roll in the filth, evil, and negativity of a belief system I do not agree with, for they outweigh 1000 to 1 the good that your belief system has done. Forget the hundreds or thousands or millions of good things. This is why the world is wrong. Because of your beliefs and your people. Look at all this hatred, animosity, and conflict it has caused."

Folks, this is what I see wherever I go. This forum is just an example. We maintain a pretense of open-mindedness, politeness, and "civil" discussion, but this is ultimately what remains. Instead of focusing on the good that has resulted from another's beliefs system and encouraging them to continue to advance the good in the world, we put each other down by focusing on what the people before us have done and the differences between us. And through our conflict with each other, we ironically point out the conflict that your belief system has caused, not realizing that we are degrading the moral health of society in doing so. If society is comprised of individuals, then the moral health of the society starts with the individual. And if this is the kind of interactions we get when we're talking about religion or belief systems on an individual basis, then this is the kind of interactions we get as a society.

I suppose you can summarize all this in a simple "let's all get along" statement, but that doesn't seem to be enough to get people to get along. Because when you say something like that, it's not uncommon for people to respond with "I'd love to get along, but it's kinda hard when others are shoving their beliefs down my throat."

That right there is one of the problems we have. Yes, there are those who try to shove their beliefs down your throat and may even threaten you by saying that you'll suffer for all eternity. But responding by doing exactly what I have demonstrated above doesn't end the cycle. It just makes it worse. To end the cycle, we must respond with love and kindness, not hatred and anger. To get rid of darkness, you must present it with light, not more darkness.

Now, in the end this is a debate site. There's bound to be conflict, but it shouldn't be like this. Ultimately, I'm just trying to get a message across, so that hopefully we can limit this kind of behavior and not repeat it over and over again. I don't like, however, how I got this message across, because I did it by pointing out the negative things that happen here, which is precisely what I don't want happening. Then again, we have to point out the problem before we can fix it, and that's what I tried to do.

Thanks for reading.

It is spoken by our Creator that there will be no peace in this world during this first age. In the next age, we will all live in peace.