Jump to topic:

You can't punish yourself for someone else

ELDRITCH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 7:05:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
That's not how justice works. That's the most fundamental failing of christianity. It assumes that the only just cost of action other than eternal damnation is some bloke going off and having a really bad weekend for you, which completely falls at both rehabilitation and punishment and can't really be considered a good idea by any definition of justice.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 7:31:08 PM
At 11/25/2014 7:05:02 PM, ELDRITCH wrote:
That's not how justice works. That's the most fundamental failing of christianity. It assumes that the only just cost of action other than eternal damnation is some bloke going off and having a really bad weekend for you, which completely falls at both rehabilitation and punishment and can't really be considered a good idea by any definition of justice.

A few problem with your rationality here. The justice part of Gods action isn't Christ dying for our sin, its people being punished.

Say you have 10 people guilty of committing the same crime, and the judge sentences 5 to the punishment and pardons the other 5. There is no injustice, there is only justice and mercy. The judge has no obligation to punish all 10 if he doesn't wish to..

The same goes for God, he has no obligation to save anyone, so the fact he does is simply mercy and nothing to do with justice.

If you want justice then we'll all be little piles of ash on the floor...
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 7:40:04 PM

That's not how it works in the biblical principles either. It only works like that in the minds of those who ignore the scriptures which contradict their own half truths.

Jer 31: 29-30 In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.

Deut 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezek 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

According to the biblical principles every person is responsible for their own sins and everyone reaps what they sow.

Pro 22:8 He that soweth iniquity shall reap vanity: and the rod of his anger shall fail.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 7:41:56 PM
At 11/25/2014 7:31:08 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

A few problem with your rationality here. The justice part of Gods action isn't Christ dying for our sin, its people being punished.

Say you have 10 people guilty of committing the same crime, and the judge sentences 5 to the punishment and pardons the other 5. There is no injustice, there is only justice and mercy. The judge has no obligation to punish all 10 if he doesn't wish to..

The same goes for God, he has no obligation to save anyone, so the fact he does is simply mercy and nothing to do with justice.

We do all end up as little piles of ash on the floor. All end up as dust in the end.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 8:23:43 PM
At 11/25/2014 7:41:56 PM, Skyangel wrote:

We do all end up as little piles of ash on the floor. All end up as dust in the end.

Ash and dust are not the same... but I'm sure you got the point I was trying to make.
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 8:30:39 PM
At 11/25/2014 8:23:43 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Ash and dust are not the same... but I'm sure you got the point I was trying to make.

All end up dead in the end. The bible says the wages of sin is death.

The fact that a person in a story died so the rest of the world would not die has not changed a thing. Everyone still dies, even those who believe in him.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 8:52:25 PM
At 11/25/2014 8:30:39 PM, Skyangel wrote:

The fact that a person in a story died so the rest of the world would not die has not changed a thing. Everyone still dies, even those who believe in him.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the overall theme in the bible of life in this world, is that its short--- like a vapor. Everlasting life comes after these bodies and the sin they carry die.

Not a very good point, considering Christ died as well... I don't think anyone is expecting to live forever in these bodies.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 8:55:36 PM
At 11/25/2014 8:52:25 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the overall theme in the bible of life in this world, is that its short--- like a vapor. Everlasting life comes after these bodies and the sin they carry die.

Not a very good point, considering Christ died as well... I don't think anyone is expecting to live forever in these bodies.

Did Christ sin?
Did he die for his own sins?
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 9:00:41 PM
At 11/25/2014 8:55:36 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Did Christ sin?

No, his sacrifice was only effectual because of his righteousness; he was without sin.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 9:59:34 PM
At 11/25/2014 9:00:41 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

Did Christ sin?

No, his sacrifice was only effectual because of his righteousness; he was without sin.

Jer 31: 29-30 In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.

Deut 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezek 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

According to the biblical principles every person is responsible for their own sins and everyone reaps what they sow.

Pro 22:8 He that soweth iniquity shall reap vanity: and the rod of his anger shall fail.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2014 11:33:28 PM
At 11/25/2014 9:59:34 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Did Christ sin?

Sure, this is why everyone will die... we're all sinners.

Amen.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 12:33:36 AM

That's exactly what's going to happen at the end of this age, except the floor will be melted into hot molten lava, also.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 2:09:11 AM
At 11/25/2014 11:33:28 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 11/25/2014 9:59:34 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Did Christ sin?

Sure, this is why everyone will die... we're all sinners.

We don't all die because we are all sinners. We all die because death is part of life.
You cannot live without dying and you cannot die without living.

Amen.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 1:33:35 PM

Maybe that is why you should read the Bible and notice taht Jesus could forgive sins before his death and so his death was really not required for God to forgive.

The scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, "Who is this that speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?" But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, answered them, "Why are you reasoning so in your hearts? Which is easier to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you;' or to say, 'Arise and walk?' But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (he said to the paralyzed man), "I tell you, arise, and take up your cot, and go to your house." Immediately he rose up before them, and took up that which he was laying on, and departed to his house, glorifying God.
Luke 5:21-25
Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:49:54 PM
At 11/25/2014 7:40:04 PM, Skyangel wrote:

That's not how it works in the biblical principles either. It only works like that in the minds of those who ignore the scriptures which contradict their own half truths.

Well this clearly isn't true. The flood? The killing of all the Egyptian first-born? The wives and children of Korah, Dathan and Abiram? God has no problem killing one person for another person's actions. Plus all the people that die today for things someone else did. It's obvious that we don't all reap what we sow.

Cryo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:55:52 PM

Not punishing 5 of the 10 when all are guilty of the same crime is injustice.

God saving some and punishing others has everything to do with justice, and it is injustice if salvation and punishment have nothing to do with your actions in the first place and they're only based on belief. The murderer who found Jesus on death row spends eternity in heaven while their non-Christian victim goes to hell. That's insane. That is the moral loophole in Christianity.

It's not merciful to save someone when you're the one who made it so that they'd need saving in the first place.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 9:11:14 PM
At 11/26/2014 6:49:54 PM, Cryo wrote:

Well this clearly isn't true. The flood? The killing of all the Egyptian first-born? The wives and children of Korah, Dathan and Abiram? God has no problem killing one person for another person's actions. Plus all the people that die today for things someone else did. It's obvious that we don't all reap what we sow.

Do you believe the stories are historical events or myths?

If they are myths, no God really killed anyone did he?

The principle of sowing and reaping is not about what other people do to us. It is about the consequences of our own actions.
If you do "X", you reap the consequences of 'X"
If you plant carrot seeds you reap carrots.
If a person shoots you for no apparent reason in the meantime that is not a consequence of your own actions.
If you are falsely accused of a crime you did not commit, that is not a consequence of your own actions. It the consequence of someone elses stupidity.

That is where forgiveness comes in.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 9:24:27 PM
At 11/26/2014 6:55:52 PM, Cryo wrote:

Not punishing 5 of the 10 when all are guilty of the same crime is injustice.

God saving some and punishing others has everything to do with justice, and it is injustice if salvation and punishment have nothing to do with your actions in the first place and they're only based on belief. The murderer who found Jesus on death row spends eternity in heaven while their non-Christian victim goes to hell. That's insane. That is the moral loophole in Christianity.

It's not merciful to save someone when you're the one who made it so that they'd need saving in the first place.

If the character in the bible was called Mother Nature, instead of Father God, would you consider Mother Nature to be unjust when she sends natural disasters to kill people? What if not all were killed? What if some good upright people were killed and some that survived the disasters were criminals? Do you think Mother Nature is unfair or unjust or picking out her favorites to live while the rest die?
Do you think Life is unjust and picks some to live and some to die according to whether they are good or bad people?

If you can manage to understand God as Life you might understand it is not some kind of "supernatural being" that makes any choices depending on whether humans are good or bad or whether they worship Life or not. That whole concept comes from our superstitious ancestors who personified life in different ways as many different gods. We obviously still have different "gods" today which superstitious people still worship and something in their minds stops them from admitting to themselves that their supernatural beings are mythical.