Jump to topic:

When will Atheists be the majority?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 2:45:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've seen many things to point to the fact that it will eventually happen and not too far in the future. But around when exactly.
I was wondering if you had any statistics which point towards when this would most likely occur or if you just have a guess. I would say some time before 2050.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 2:56:16 AM
At 5/12/2010 2:45:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I've seen many things to point to the fact that it will eventually happen and not too far in the future. But around when exactly.
I was wondering if you had any statistics which point towards when this would most likely occur or if you just have a guess. I would say some time before 2050.

Here in the UK only 6% of the population visit a place of worship at least once a month - and many of them are Muslims, Hindus or Jews rather than Christians.

I know that belief in God in America is a lot more widespread though.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 3:05:00 AM
They are in the majority now. Or at least atheists and agnostics are.

I don't actually know anyone who refers to themselves with a religious label. I work with a hindu and a very good friend of mine is some sort neo-zorastrian/gnostic/Jew/creationst but that is about it.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 3:24:18 AM
At 5/12/2010 3:05:00 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I don't actually know anyone who refers to themselves with a religious label. I work with a hindu and a very good friend of mine is some sort neo-zorastrian/gnostic/Jew/creationst but that is about it.

Naw, I'm pretty sure Christianity and Islam are larger than nonreligion.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 3:37:53 AM
At 5/12/2010 3:24:18 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/12/2010 3:05:00 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Naw, I'm pretty sure Christianity and Islam are larger than nonreligion.

I don't think so, they just use faulty data. It can't be helped as most people are only religious for the time it takes to fill out a census form.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Nubway
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:09:46 AM
At 5/12/2010 3:37:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I don't think so, they just use faulty data. It can't be helped as most people are only religious for the time it takes to fill out a census form.
Not really. Religous people, especially in the U.S. far outweight those who are atheist. I don't think that it will die in the near future at all and I doubt atheists will become the majority. What I have been noticing, especially in my school, is more and more people admitting they're Christians. Especially when the religion is slanderized. I think when our generation is in their mid-thirties, religion demographics may be slightly lower, but still quite similar.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:14:20 AM
We cannot know for sure, because one can claim to be a Jew, yet be more agnostic than theist. One can claim to be an atheist, yet believe in some form of deity.

I think atheists are the majority in many Western countries.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:25:31 AM
At 5/12/2010 5:23:23 AM, Nubway wrote:
Why do you think that?
Because people turn away from religion, specifically the Christians, which are the majority of all the religious groups in the West. you can meet people who call themselves Christians, yet doubt the belief in God, or something similar. They are more agnostics, but agnostic-atheists fits more to them.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:26:24 AM
At 5/12/2010 5:25:31 AM, Mirza wrote:
*you can meet people who call themselves Christians, yet doubt the belief in God, or something similar. They are more agnostics, but agnostic-atheists fits more to them.
*You
Nubway
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:32:40 AM
At 5/12/2010 5:25:31 AM, Mirza wrote:
Because people turn away from religion, specifically the Christians, which are the majority of all the religious groups in the West. you can meet people who call themselves Christians, yet doubt the belief in God, or something similar. They are more agnostics, but agnostic-atheists fits more to them.
Do you have any data supporting this or is this pure speculation? Doubt doesn't mean disbelief; I'm a Christian and I have doubted before in my life. I go to high school, and as I'm all aware, kids in the U.S. usually like to 'rebel'. By this I mean explore new ideas, which is sort of rebelling against their parents. I was atheist for 2 years because I wanted to go out on my own, I eventually led myself back to Christianity. Like I said before, I've been noticing a trend of young people standing up for religion a lot, more than I have ever seen before. (I'm a Junior in High School) For example, there are these atheists kids in my English class who started laughing hysterically when we watched a video that showed a girl talking about how her personal relationship with God helped her succeced in life. The majority of the class fought back and asked them why they were laughing. Do people have doubt in a belief defend it so quickly? Like I said, just speculation here, that as our generation grows, most us will remain with our religion.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:36:18 AM
At 5/12/2010 5:09:46 AM, Nubway wrote:
At 5/12/2010 3:37:53 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Not really.

Yes really.

Religous people, especially in the U.S. far outweight those who are atheist. I don't think that it will die in the near future at all and I doubt atheists will become the majority. What I have been noticing, especially in my school, is more and more people admitting they're Christians. Especially when the religion is slanderized. I think when our generation is in their mid-thirties, religion demographics may be slightly lower, but still quite similar.

Well in the UK you have to really actively look for Christians.
Nubway
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:38:03 AM
Well in the UK you have to really actively look for Christians.
Good point. But the majority of the world is still religious.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:39:51 AM
At 5/12/2010 5:32:40 AM, Nubway wrote:
Do you have any data supporting this or is this pure speculation? Doubt doesn't mean disbelief; I'm a Christian and I have doubted before in my life. I go to high school, and as I'm all aware, kids in the U.S. usually like to 'rebel'. By this I mean explore new ideas, which is sort of rebelling against their parents. I was atheist for 2 years because I wanted to go out on my own, I eventually led myself back to Christianity. Like I said before, I've been noticing a trend of young people standing up for religion a lot, more than I have ever seen before. (I'm a Junior in High School) For example, there are these atheists kids in my English class who started laughing hysterically when we watched a video that showed a girl talking about how her personal relationship with God helped her succeced in life. The majority of the class fought back and asked them why they were laughing. Do people have doubt in a belief defend it so quickly? Like I said, just speculation here, that as our generation grows, most us will remain with our religion.
I can figure that out by looking at the development. I also know people who are 'Christians' yet doubt God to a certain level. It does not mean that they are atheists now, but as it is all developing this way, I think many people will turn atheists, and there is a good chance that it will be the majority. At least we can say they ca be doubtful, not necessarily entirely atheistic.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

A continent that was once entirely Christian now has fewer and fewer theists in percentage. Besides this, I have not said that all Christians doubt their belief in God, but many do.
Nubway
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:53:10 AM
At 5/12/2010 5:39:51 AM, Mirza wrote:
I I also know people who are 'Christians' yet doubt God to a certain level. It does not mean that they are atheists now, but as it is all developing this way
I know tons of Christians who doubt God or have doubted God. Something happens and their faith is renewed, which I would say, from being a Christian the majority of my life and having interacted with hundreds of them, happens most of the time.
good chance that it will be the majority.
I say there is a good chance it will remain the minority.

A continent that was once entirely Christian now has fewer and fewer theists in percentage.
Who knows, this might fluctuate.
America is still going very, very strong.

I think as we progress as a society, it will fluctuate in big numbers generation after generation. But I do not think it will ever be the majority.
Nubway
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 5:54:25 AM
At 5/12/2010 5:53:10 AM, Nubway wrote:
I know tons of Christians who doubt God or have doubted God. Something happens and their faith is renewed, which I would say, from being a Christian the majority of my life and having interacted with hundreds of them, this happens most of the time.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 6:04:57 AM
At 5/12/2010 5:53:10 AM, Nubway wrote:
I know tons of Christians who doubt God or have doubted God. Something happens and their faith is renewed, which I would say, from being a Christian the majority of my life and having interacted with hundreds of them, happens most of the time.
History tells us that due to these kind of things, the next generations turn atheists, or at least agnostics. That si why Europe has gone from dominantly Christian to somewhat Christian.

I say there is a good chance it will remain the minority.
This is a question of breed. Religious people usually have many kids, especially Muslims. Muslims are breeding at high rates in Europe, too. If they continue, we may see more theists than atheists. But we will have to see. Right now it is more of guessing using some sort of logic to conclude something for the future.

Who knows, this might fluctuate.
America is still going very, very strong.
Yes, but North America mainly consists of two big countries, USA and Canada, unlike Europe which consists of numerous countries with all kinds of peoples. I think North America will also be affected by atheism somehow, but maybe not. We will have to wait to conclude anything. It is not proper to conclude anything now.

I think as we progress as a society, it will fluctuate in big numbers generation after generation. But I do not think it will ever be the majority.
It depends on many factors. In fact, my claim about atheists being the majority in many Western countries is somewhat correct. If you look at the link I wrote, you can see that Scandinavian countries, Hungary, France, etc. have more non-theists than theists. They are more agnostics than atheists, because there are still quite a lot who believe in something spiritual, yet deny the existence of God.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 6:07:25 AM
At 5/12/2010 6:04:57 AM, Mirza wrote:
History tells us that due to these kind of things, the next generations turn atheists, or at least agnostics. That *si why Europe has gone from dominantly Christian to somewhat Christian.
*is
Nubway
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 6:10:35 AM
At 5/12/2010 6:04:57 AM, Mirza wrote:
History tells us that due to these kind of things, the next generations turn atheists, or at least agnostics. That si why Europe has gone from dominantly Christian to somewhat Christian.
True, but history is still being written.
Yes, but North America mainly consists of two big countries, USA and Canada, unlike Europe which consists of numerous countries with all kinds of peoples.
Good point.
I think North America will also be affected by atheism somehow, but maybe not. We will have to wait to conclude anything. It is not proper to conclude anything now.
Agreed, just throwing my thoughts around.

It depends on many factors. In fact, my claim about atheists being the majority in many Western countries is somewhat correct. If you look at the link I wrote, you can see that Scandinavian countries, Hungary, France, etc. have more non-theists than theists. They are more agnostics than atheists, because there are still quite a lot who believe in something spiritual, yet deny the existence of God.
Very true.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 6:12:30 AM
At 5/12/2010 6:11:41 AM, Puck wrote:
When they start breeding like Catholics.

LOL
Cody_Franklin- "You aren't the sharpest bulb in the box, are you?"

Strikeeagle84015- "Why would you want a sharp bulb?"

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 8:25:54 AM
People will believe in something even when they think they don't. Global warming is eerily like a religion. "Those who believe in nothing will believe in anything" G.K. Chesterton. I believe we are hardwired to need to believe in something greater than ourselves; it's just that some choose not to have God as their higher power.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 8:35:46 AM
At 5/12/2010 8:25:54 AM, innomen wrote:
People will believe in something even when they think they don't. Global warming is eerily like a religion. "Those who believe in nothing will believe in anything" G.K. Chesterton. I believe we are hardwired to need to believe in something greater than ourselves; it's just that some choose not to have God as their higher power.

You mean the particular cult that follows Al-Gore is eerily like a religion. The fact of human-induced global warming, accepted by the majority of climate scientists whose conclusions are endorsed by every single national academy of science in every major industrialised country in the world, is emphatically not a religion.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 8:39:50 AM

Also, it's very hard to imagine Global Warming as a substitute for religion. The vast majority of religious believers think they're going to some form of eternal paradise after they die, or some other fuzzy belief about reality. The conclusions of Global Warming are miserable at best.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 8:41:08 AM
At 5/12/2010 2:45:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Change 'atheist' to 'non-religious' and perhaps you might be right.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 8:45:31 AM
At 5/12/2010 8:39:50 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Also, it's very hard to imagine Global Warming as a substitute for religion. The vast majority of religious believers think they're going to some form of eternal paradise after they die, or some other fuzzy belief about reality. The conclusions of Global Warming are miserable at best.

You mean like an apocolypse? Yeah, nothing like religion. I'm sorry if i spoke blasphemy.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 8:55:39 AM
When they start breeding like [Muslims].
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 8:57:09 AM

Unlike religious people, most atheists don't consider women to be baby factories.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2010 9:10:30 AM
At 5/12/2010 8:57:09 AM, Freeman wrote:

Unlike religious people, most atheists don't consider women to be baby factories.

Hyperbole