Jump to topic:

Evolution and Creationism Can Coexist

Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:25:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm getting tired of this whole "evolution vs. creationism" thing. Has anyone here actually entertained the idea that the two could both be true? Doesn't it make more sense that a deity could have used natural laws such as evolution to create the world?

There is this automatic assumption that if you're an evolutionist, than you're an atheist. Or if you're a theist, than you cannot listen to science and are therefore ignorant and cannot be trusted.

To Christians, why are you so quick to dismiss of the idea of evolution? Does it actually contradict the Bible?

To atheists, what flaws lie in creationism that make it incompatible with evolution?

I think it's time we stop keeping the two so far apart if they really can coexist.
When in doubt, start riots and scream racism
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:30:09 PM
The bible does not decribe God using evolution to create human beings, so if you're a creationist-evolutionist then you are just making stuff up.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:37:33 PM
At 11/28/2014 12:25:29 PM, Conservative101 wrote:
I'm getting tired of this whole "evolution vs. creationism" thing. Has anyone here actually entertained the idea that the two could both be true? Doesn't it make more sense that a deity could have used natural laws such as evolution to create the world?

There is this automatic assumption that if you're an evolutionist, than you're an atheist. Or if you're a theist, than you cannot listen to science and are therefore ignorant and cannot be trusted.

To Christians, why are you so quick to dismiss of the idea of evolution? Does it actually contradict the Bible?

To atheists, what flaws lie in creationism that make it incompatible with evolution?

I think it's time we stop keeping the two so far apart if they really can coexist.

The problem that exists is that you either believe the bible for fact or you don't. The Bible story of creation is not conducive to the acceptance of evolution.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:40:02 PM
At 11/28/2014 12:30:09 PM, Double_R wrote:
The bible does not decribe God using evolution to create human beings, so if you're a creationist-evolutionist then you are just making stuff up.

The Bible also doesn't mention any words Jesus spoke before he was 12, so he must have been mute until then.
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:41:36 PM
At 11/28/2014 12:37:33 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

The problem that exists is that you either believe the bible for fact or you don't. The Bible story of creation is not conducive to the acceptance of evolution.

Sure it is. The creation story could be a span of millions of years that was brought about by the long-term process of evolution.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:47:26 PM
At 11/28/2014 12:41:36 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Sure it is. The creation story could be a span of millions of years that was brought about by the long-term process of evolution.

Then that would open the entire Bible up for metaphoric translation. And if that's the case it changes everything from start to finish. Which is the first step to agnosticism. Be careful ;) The die-hards aren't going to like that proposition.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:50:01 PM
At 11/28/2014 12:47:26 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

Then that would open the entire Bible up for metaphoric translation. And if that's the case it changes everything from start to finish. Which is the first step to agnosticism. Be careful ;) The die-hards aren't going to like that proposition.

Yeah well, many Christians interpret the Bible differently than others. Some believe in a literal 6 day creation, some think the time is relative. The Bible doesn't necessarily dispute the claims of science unless it is interpreted that way.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 12:54:51 PM
At 11/28/2014 12:50:01 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Yeah well, many Christians interpret the Bible differently than others. Some believe in a literal 6 day creation, some think the time is relative. The Bible doesn't necessarily dispute the claims of science unless it is interpreted that way.

Translation is the root of most if the arguments involving the Bible as it pertains to religion and religious doctrine. Unless it was deliberately written to allow for such broad opinions and translations then it is very much flawed in its execution. Which opens a nasty can of worms.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 1:07:34 PM
At 11/28/2014 12:40:02 PM, Conservative101 wrote:
At 11/28/2014 12:30:09 PM, Double_R wrote:

The Bible also doesn't mention any words Jesus spoke before he was 12, so he must have been mute until then.

Either that or he didn't acquire divine wisdom until he was a prepubescent boy. Heh!
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 1:48:12 PM

I don't think the to will go together. There is a supernatural aspect to creationism and religion that science just doesn't agree with. evolution vs creationism is one part of a very big religion vs science debate. I think, at the very least, a few other issues would need to be ironed out before the evolution vs creationism debate can make that type of progess. But I believe the supernatural element of religion is the foundation of religion. And science wont accept any religious belifes until it can provide evidence of the supernatural or until the supernatural is abandoned.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 1:50:48 PM

Yes, I have.

The problem is that evol;ution has been taken to a point where it disagree with teh creation account.

There is nothing wrong with the thought of species adapting to circumsatnces, the creation account allows for that, buit there is no way of fitting evolution, as currently taught, into that account.
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 2:49:16 PM
At 11/28/2014 12:54:51 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 11/28/2014 12:50:01 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Translation is the root of most if the arguments involving the Bible as it pertains to religion and religious doctrine. Unless it was deliberately written to allow for such broad opinions and translations then it is very much flawed in its execution. Which opens a nasty can of worms.

The Bible does not talk about how the earth was created, it just says it was. This part of how is open to interpretation, since it does not mention it at all. Anything beyond that are assumptions, so if you are assuming the Bible excludes the evolution theory, you don't have anything to back up that up. This is the false assumption that is repeatedly being made on this site.
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 2:50:48 PM
At 11/28/2014 1:48:12 PM, Df0512 wrote:

I don't think the to will go together. There is a supernatural aspect to creationism and religion that science just doesn't agree with. evolution vs creationism is one part of a very big religion vs science debate. I think, at the very least, a few other issues would need to be ironed out before the evolution vs creationism debate can make that type of progess. But I believe the supernatural element of religion is the foundation of religion. And science wont accept any religious belifes until it can provide evidence of the supernatural or until the supernatural is abandoned.

Science does not say anything about religion, but that doesn't mean religion is out of the picture. Science is just one dimension of understanding the world.
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 2:54:07 PM
At 11/28/2014 1:50:48 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Yes, I have.

The problem is that evol;ution has been taken to a point where it disagree with teh creation account.

In what way?

There is nothing wrong with the thought of species adapting to circumsatnces, the creation account allows for that, buit there is no way of fitting evolution, as currently taught, into that account.

Sure there is. I don't what's holding it back. A deity could have used evolution to create plants and animals, so long as the 6-day creation aspect isn't taken literally. It shouldn't be taken literally, because the Bible mentions that time is relative for the supernatural.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 4:10:22 PM
At 11/28/2014 2:50:48 PM, Conservative101 wrote:
At 11/28/2014 1:48:12 PM, Df0512 wrote:

Science does not say anything about religion, but that doesn't mean religion is out of the picture. Science is just one dimension of understanding the world.

Yes but science brings things out of the philosophical realm and into the physical one. I say that because religion has no physical attributes. It hard for scientist and evolutionist to conceptualize joining theories without anything to be tested or observed. I mean, it kind of is out of the picture until someone presents sometype of physical evidence.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 4:51:41 PM
At 11/28/2014 2:54:07 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Yes, I have.

In what way?

Because it attempts to prove that from single celled life to man is a constant progression.

Whereas the Creation account points out that God created the basic types and then left them to adapt as needed.

Sure there is. I don't what's holding it back. A deity could have used evolution to create plants and animals, so long as the 6-day creation aspect isn't taken literally. It shouldn't be taken literally, because the Bible mentions that time is relative for the supernatural.

Time is not relative for him, but the "day" is not a 24 hour day, in fact each day works out to being 7,000 years, and we are in the last 900 of the seventh day njow.

At least it is no more relative for God, than time now is relative for us to what it was when we were children anyway.

Time seems shorter to we older folk because of how much we have lived through compared a when we were children.

God has lived through time since he created it, therefore 1,00, even 7,000 can seem like a day to him when it has passed..

God could do anything he wanted, but it appears that he chose to start p[roicesses and nurse them throught o comleteion, so, as teh creation account tells us he created the basic kinds, gave them the ability to adapt as needed, and then watched them develop.

He used adaptation, not evolution.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 4:51:41 PM

Yes, I have.

In what way?

Because it attempts to prove that from single celled life to man is a constant progression.

Whereas the Creation account points out that God created the basic types and then left them to adapt as needed.

Time is not relative for him, but the "day" is not a 24 hour day, in fact each day works out to being 7,000 years, and we are in the last 900 of the seventh day njow.

At least it is no more relative for God, than time now is relative for us to what it was when we were children anyway.

Time seems shorter to we older folk because of how much we have lived through compared a when we were children.

God has lived through time since he created it, therefore 1,00, even 7,000 can seem like a day to him when it has passed..

God could do anything he wanted, but it appears that he chose to start p[roicesses and nurse them throught o comleteion, so, as teh creation account tells us he created the basic kinds, gave them the ability to adapt as needed, and then watched them develop.

bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 5:06:42 PM

A deity is an imaginary god in the minds of people who have no idea who our Creator is. No deity can create information or form illusions to make us believe that they're real.
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 5:17:57 PM
At 11/28/2014 4:51:41 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Yes, I have.

In what way?

No, all it says is that God created the plants and animals. Whether they formed by the snap of a finger or by evolution...it doesn't say.

Uh...what? Where'd you pull this out from?

Yeah, I'm referring to 2 Peter 3:8 (KJV)"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

The Bible is not clear on how life was formed, only that it was. Therefore, it is wrong to make assumptions without any evidence.
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 5:26:26 PM
At 11/28/2014 5:06:42 PM, bornofgod wrote:

A deity is an imaginary god in the minds of people who have no idea who our Creator is. No deity can create information or form illusions to make us believe that they're real.

Well..ok. Deity with a capitol D.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 5:30:58 PM
At 11/28/2014 5:26:26 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Deity or deity is an imaginary god in the mind of person who has no idea who our invisible Creator is.
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 5:34:43 PM
At 11/28/2014 5:30:58 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Deity or deity is an imaginary god in the mind of person who has no idea who our invisible Creator is.

But wouldn't the 'invisible Creator' be a deity as well?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 5:37:23 PM
At 11/28/2014 5:34:43 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Our Creator is the only one who is real. Everything else was created by Him.
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 5:38:13 PM
At 11/28/2014 5:37:23 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 11/28/2014 5:34:43 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Our Creator is the only one who is real. Everything else was created by Him.

The definition of a deity is a god or goddess, so that would apply to our Creator.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:01:32 PM
At 11/28/2014 5:17:57 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Yes, I have.

In what way?

No, all it says is that God created the plants and animals. Whether they formed by the snap of a finger or by evolution...it doesn't say.

Not quite acurate.

Genesis 1:21-25
ASV(i) 21 And God created the great sea-monsters, and every living creature that moveth, wherewith the waters swarmed, after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind: and God saw that it was good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth. 23 And there was evening and there was morning, a fifth day. 24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind, cattle, and creeping things, and beasts of the earth after their kind: and it was so. 25 And God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the ground after its kind: and God saw that it was good.

As that scripture points out, he created each kind, or type, separately. and then left them all to adapt.

Daniel 4 prophecies, amongst otehr thigns, Christ taking up his throne in heaven. There are scriptural keys which help us to understand when that will be, and it works out to 1914.

CALCULATING THE "SEVEN TIMES"

"Seven times" = 7 X 360 = 2,520 years

A Biblical "time," or year = 12 X 30 days = 360. (Rev. 11:2,"3; 12:6,"14)

In the fulfillment of the "seven times" each day equals one year. (Ezek. 4:6; Num. 14:34)

Early October, 607"B.C.E., to December 31,"607"B.C.E.= 1/4 year

January 1,"606"B.C.E., to December 31,"1"B.C.E. = 606 years

January 1,"1"C.E., to December 31,"1913 = 1,913 years

January 1,"1914, to early October, 1914 = 3/4 year
Total: 2,520 years

Scripture tells us that Christ rules for 1,000 years and then hands the kingdom back to his father because he ash returned humanity back to teh original state of perfection, and from that point opn God is able to deal with humanity directly again for teh first time sinbce he took his "rest" to start the 7th day.

Paul also writes of us entering God's rest at Hebrews 3:18-4:1.

Therefore the 7th days will have been 7,000 years long, wihc indicates that each "creative days is approximately 7,000 yeasrs long.

Yeah, I'm referring to 2 Peter 3:8 (KJV)"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

Yes, I realised that is what you meant, but Peter is only giving us a clue as to how God sees teh passage of time, which is where my comparison with how we feel about it's passage now, as compared to when we were very young and 5 mnutes seemed to last for hours.

God could do anything he wanted, but it appears that he chose to start proicesses and nurse them throught o comleteion, so, as teh creation account tells us he created the basic kinds, gave them the ability to adapt as needed, and then watched them develop.

The Bible is not clear on how life was formed, only that it was. Therefore, it is wrong to make assumptions without any evidence.

That is very true, and we atill are not told exactly how he ceated each sepasrate kind, just that he did.

You are correct in saing that it is wrong to make assumptions, and I try very hard to avoid doing so, or to make it clear that is what I am doing when I do.

However our faith is formed by extrapolating on fronmom what solid evidence we have, God's word being the nmost solid, and scripture does go ijnto some detail abut how God created teh various kinds.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:04:45 PM

How does it make anymore sense than a deity just making everything as it is? He has the power to do both.

Non-sense to the idea of automatic assumption. 1 in 4 Americans believe God guided evolution. http://www.pewresearch.org...

Biblical accounts argue for a global flood, which no evidence of exists. Also geology tells us the earth is older than 6,000 years. Plus the idea of evolution contradicts the idea that God made everything in its current form.

Just because they are compatible does not mean there is a God. But really this is just the same atheism vs theism debate all over again.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:06:41 PM
At 11/28/2014 6:01:32 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
ASV(i) 21 And God created the great sea-monsters, and every living creature that moveth, wherewith the waters swarmed, after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind: and God saw that it was good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth. 23 And there was evening and there was morning, a fifth day. 24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind, cattle, and creeping things, and beasts of the earth after their kind: and it was so. 25 And God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the ground after its kind: and God saw that it was good.

And will ya just look at how wrong that is.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:10:15 PM

Yes, I have.

In what way?

Not quite acurate.

As that scripture points out, he created each kind, or type, separately. and then left them all to adapt.

Daniel 4 prophecies, amongst otehr thigns, Christ taking up his throne in heaven. There are scriptural keys which help us to understand when that will be, and it works out to 1914.

In the fulfillment of the "seven times" each day equals one year. (Ezek. 4:6; Num. 14:34)

Scripture tells us that Christ rules for 1,000 years and then hands the kingdom back to his father because he ash returned humanity back to teh original state of perfection, and from that point opn God is able to deal with humanity directly again for teh first time sinbce he took his "rest" to start the 7th day.

Therefore the 7th days will have been 7,000 years long, wihc indicates that each "creative days is approximately 7,000 yeasrs long.

You gonna give me a Watchtower pamphlet next?

Yes, I realised that is what you meant, but Peter is only giving us a clue as to how God sees teh passage of time, which is where my comparison with how we feel about it's passage now, as compared to when we were very young and 5 mnutes seemed to last for hours.

God could do anything he wanted, but it appears that he chose to start proicesses and nurse them throught o comleteion, so, as teh creation account tells us he created the basic kinds, gave them the ability to adapt as needed, and then watched them develop.

That is very true, and we atill are not told exactly how he ceated each sepasrate kind, just that he did.

You are correct in saing that it is wrong to make assumptions, and I try very hard to avoid doing so, or to make it clear that is what I am doing when I do.

However our faith is formed by extrapolating on fronmom what solid evidence we have, God's word being the nmost solid, and scripture does go ijnto some detail abut how God created teh various kinds.

All right, I'll leave it to rest here.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:10:33 PM
At 11/28/2014 6:06:41 PM, bulproof wrote:

And will ya just look at how wrong that is.

How is it wrong? I can see no error in there.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 6:11:18 PM
At 11/28/2014 6:10:15 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

Yes, I have.

In what way?

Not quite acurate.

You gonna give me a Watchtower pamphlet next?

All right, I'll leave it to rest here.

Up to you, I am always prepared to agree to disagree.