Jump to topic:

Atheism is an existential religion

LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 5:40:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Atheism is nothing but an existential religion in which a person believes their existence is self-justified and they do not deserve to die any more than they deserved to be brought into existence. The thing they want to avoid admitting is that they do not deserve to live any more than they deserved to be brought into existence. Atheism is a self-deluding exixtential religion in which one tries to be at peace wtih themself and absolve themselves of guilt.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 6:10:10 PM
At 11/29/2014 5:40:26 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
Atheism is nothing but an existential religion in which a person believes their existence is self-justified and they do not deserve to die any more than they deserved to be brought into existence. The thing they want to avoid admitting is that they do not deserve to live any more than they deserved to be brought into existence. Atheism is a self-deluding exixtential religion in which one tries to be at peace wtih themself and absolve themselves of guilt.

At the very least, you've shown that when you sit around dreaming up absurd nonsense, you never think it through.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 6:37:03 PM
At 11/29/2014 6:10:10 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

At the very least, you've shown that when you sit around dreaming up absurd nonsense, you never think it through.

Have you noticed that when they want to denigrate atheism, they call it a religion? The irony escapes them.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 6:49:27 PM

There is nothing religious about atheism.

When disbelief in fairies is a religion, then atheism can be a religion.

When not playing football is a sport, atheism can be a religion.

When abstinence is a sexual position, atheism can be a religion.

When following the evidence to a rational conclusion is a religious act, then buying the most appropriate new car, selecting the most convenient parking space, and seeking the highest quality education can all be religions, along with atheism.

Until then, people are free to continue marking themselves as devoid of a cognitive process befitting a human by trying to claim that atheism is a religion.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 6:50:42 PM

Atheism is a religion In the same sense that abstinence is a sex position.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 6:51:48 PM

If he ever thought things through, he'd be an atheist. No theist can actually think things through. Thought destroys religion.

That's why the religious urge us to "just believe", rather than to "think it through".
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 6:52:42 PM
At 11/29/2014 6:37:03 PM, dee-em wrote:

Have you noticed that when they want to denigrate atheism, they call it a religion? The irony escapes them.

Bizarre isn't it? And when they want to denigrate science, they call it "faith".
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 6:59:31 PM

Replace the word atheism with the word theism.
Your statement actually applies to theists a lot better than it applies to atheists.
It is the theists who think they deserve to live forever for believing in an invisible entity. No Atheists believe they can earn eternal life by believing in anything or anyone at all.
They believe all end up in the grave and they are correct.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 7:28:58 PM
At 11/29/2014 6:59:31 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Your statement actually applies to theists a lot better than it applies to atheists.
It is the theists who think they deserve to live forever for believing in an invisible entity. No Atheists believe they can earn eternal life by believing in anything or anyone at all.

I don't think death is a foregone conclusion. I'm hoping for technology to give us a way out.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 7:46:54 PM
At 11/29/2014 7:28:58 PM, Wylted wrote:

I don't think death is a foregone conclusion. I'm hoping for technology to give us a way out.

But if your brain is downloaded on to a computer and transferred to a robot are you still you?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 7:51:25 PM

Hope as long as you like but you hope in vain.
Death is imminent regardless of how well technology improves life expectancy. There will never come a time when humans will be able to physically live forever.
The human body is constantly changing form from as the old cells are constantly shed from the body.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 7:56:21 PM
At 11/29/2014 7:46:54 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

But if your brain is downloaded on to a computer and transferred to a robot are you still you?

I was thinking of a Kurzweilian merger but I view the brain as nothing but memory storage and if you duplicate all of that on a computer I'd say you're still alive despite it feeling like death.

That is an interesting question, that I'd like to see debated more.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 7:58:16 PM
At 11/29/2014 7:51:25 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Hope as long as you like but you hope in vain.
Death is imminent regardless of how well technology improves life expectancy. There will never come a time when humans will be able to physically live forever.
The human body is constantly changing form from as the old cells are constantly shed from the body.

Do you know how many times people have said never when it comes to technology and have lived to be proven wrong?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:01:57 PM
At 11/29/2014 7:56:21 PM, Wylted wrote:

I was thinking of a Kurzweilian merger but I view the brain as nothing but memory storage and if you duplicate all of that on a computer I'd say you're still alive despite it feeling like death.

Not that one can't ponder the possibility of technological alternatives but can you imagine being placed in a state devoid of all sensory input? No sight, no sound, no feeling of touch, sense of smell or taste. I think it would be difficult (at best) to maintain anything suggestive of human intellect, or human rationality. Or perhaps we would become progressively more rational. But my bet would be on the short-line to pure insanity. I don't think our psyche could handle consciousness along with complete sensory deprivation for more than a day or two.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:06:29 PM
At 11/29/2014 8:01:57 PM, Beastt wrote:

Not that one can't ponder the possibility of technological alternatives but can you imagine being placed in a state devoid of all sensory input? No sight, no sound, no feeling of touch, sense of smell or taste. I think it would be difficult (at best) to maintain anything suggestive of human intellect, or human rationality. Or perhaps we would become progressively more rational. But my bet would be on the short-line to pure insanity. I don't think our psyche could handle consciousness along with complete sensory deprivation for more than a day or two.

Perhaps you're right. That's the problem with mind uploading. It's hard to tell what will happen to that information. Maybe our sense of time will be out of whack. Chemicals and not information are responsible for are emotions, so will we become psychopaths?

There are lot's of questions that arise from this and only one way to find out.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:51:52 PM
In atheism, the believer becomes his own god. This is the religious aspect of atheism. Every atheist is relgious in hoping they are their own judge and God is denied from ruling over them. The whole point of atheism is hope of avoiding guilt which demands death. The atheistic hope is that in death, he is forgiven of all the things he has done or failed to do that he should have done. In telling himself or herself that God will not judge them as guilty beyond the time of their death, they believe they are justified in whatever time they have done whatever seemed right at the moment because they only did what their animal instincts and chemical reactions to their environment told them was the best thing for them to do at the moment. Atheism really is nothing but existential philosophy in which the believer tells himself that his life is justied simply because he exists. The only problem is that death negates the idea that the atheist is justifed for life. Justice is agaisnt the atheist. The hope of an atheist is self-delusional.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:54:06 PM
I see some well known perverts are making posts here. I will not be reading antyhing from people who have shown themselves to be perverts. They chould be kicked off the site permanently.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 8:55:52 PM

What's a Kurzweilian merger? I don't think the brain is can be simplified to just memory storage. There are kinds of chemicals and hormones in there. And we have the ability to look back on memories and our feelings about those memories change based on the current situation. If you were in a robot body you may not be able to forget the emotional impact of your original feelings about an event or person. Like everything would be permanent and as a robot you'd just keep getting more and more memories. But there's also the question of what is consciousness, are what defines us just simply our memories?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:03:10 PM
knowing the psoters here so far well enough, I'm sure none of them have anything worthwhile to contribute to this post. Once again, I am the leader of the atheist. Like a tourist at the zoo, I walk past their cage and see what peculiar animals they are. They don't like being in a cage so they howl and sling mud at me as I walk by. The cage they are in is death. They are so obsessed with their animosity agaisnt God that they cannot see He has removed the lock from the door of the cage, and they are so busy making monkey noises as they howl in indignation at me, they cannot here Jesus knocking at the door pleading with them to open it so He can set them free. If they do hear anybody at the door, they are so upset they will attack that person even though he has removed the lock from their cage and lovingly calls them, trying to calm them down so they can hear His instruction for them to be set free from thier cage of death.

It's sad the monkeys can't just sit in their cage and enjoy each other without slinging dung at people who are walking free.

Notice: Perverts: You know who you are. I won't be reading anything you say. The only one here that I chance reading any more is skyangel. Her stuff can be out in space sometime, but at least it's not vulgar or perverted with lewd and lascivious evil.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 9:53:12 PM
At 11/29/2014 9:03:10 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
knowing the psoters here so far well enough, I'm sure none of them have anything worthwhile to contribute to this post. Once again, I am the leader of the atheist. Like a tourist at the zoo, I walk past their cage and see what peculiar animals they are. They don't like being in a cage so they howl and sling mud at me as I walk by. The cage they are in is death. They are so obsessed with their animosity agaisnt God that they cannot see He has removed the lock from the door of the cage, and they are so busy making monkey noises as they howl in indignation at me, they cannot here Jesus knocking at the door pleading with them to open it so He can set them free. If they do hear anybody at the door, they are so upset they will attack that person even though he has removed the lock from their cage and lovingly calls them, trying to calm them down so they can hear His instruction for them to be set free from thier cage of death.

It's sad the monkeys can't just sit in their cage and enjoy each other without slinging dung at people who are walking free.

Notice: Perverts: You know who you are. I won't be reading anything you say. The only one here that I chance reading any more is skyangel. Her stuff can be out in space sometime, but at least it's not vulgar or perverted with lewd and lascivious evil.

You waste your entire life on the two most useless emotions, fear and hate.
You have my pity.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
NedStark
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 8:13:35 AM
Knock knock.
Who's there?
It's Jesus, let me in!
Why?
So that I can save you!
From what?
From what me and my daddy will do to you if you don't let me in.

Christian 'salvation' in a nutshell.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
- Epicurus
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 2:25:10 PM
Existentialism does not require a god outside of oneself. The atheist beleves he has the right to exist as long as he lives, therfore is his own god if he calls himself god or not. Only God has the right to exist. The existence of any other living thing is a gift from God, life is a gift. Life means God is good because God is the giver of life. You did not attain it for yourself, and you cannot retain it for yourself. Atheism is dumb.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 2:27:04 PM

Atheism is not a religion. It is a lack of religion. You have to have doctrines that are theologically based to qualify as a religion. Atheists, unlike Christians (which are a religion) take responsibility for their wrong doings. Christians like to believe that by sacrificing their savior that they are saved from their wrong doings. Pathetic argument. Better luck next time.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 3:52:56 PM

What is your purpose for posting this? Do you actually think someone else is going to read this and say "wow LMGIG, good point!"?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 4:06:22 PM
At 11/30/2014 3:57:11 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 11/30/2014 3:52:56 PM, Double_R wrote something he can't back up.

LMGIG wrote: prove it

Yep, no purpose and nothing intelligent to say. That's what I thought. Thx.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 5:20:00 PM
At 11/30/2014 3:52:56 PM, Double_R wrote something that indicates he needs to be sedated

LMGIG wrote: Are you smoking dope?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 5:43:29 PM
At 11/30/2014 8:13:35 AM, NedStark wrote:
Knock knock.
Who's there?
It's Jesus, let me in!
Why?
So that I can save you!
From what?
From what me and my daddy will do to you if you don't let me in.

Christian 'salvation' in a nutshell.

+1 Love it, so true. It's the snake oil business. Invent the illness and sell them a cure.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 5:51:51 PM
At 11/30/2014 3:52:56 PM, Double_R wrote to prove he exists: Something dumb;

LMGIG wrote:

What is your purpose for posting this? Do you actually think someone else is going to read this?