Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 1:49:21 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/3/2014 1:41:50 AM, bulproof wrote:
That is the question.
Do any of you have an answer?

It all depends on whether or not a Christian believes the serpent was a symbolic name or a literal snake? Either way, they have no idea what serpent means.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 1:29:48 PM
That is the question.

The reason is that serpent deceived.

Yahweh God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." Yahweh God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, cursed are you above all cattle, and above every animal of the field. On your belly shall you go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life.
Gen. 3:13-14

He told that they will not die. Even though they would die with death as God told.

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. [thou shalt surely...: Heb. dying thou shalt die]
Gen. 2:17
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 5:00:59 PM
At 12/3/2014 1:29:48 PM, 12_13 wrote:
That is the question.

The reason is that serpent deceived.

Yahweh God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." Yahweh God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, cursed are you above all cattle, and above every animal of the field. On your belly shall you go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life.
Gen. 3:13-14

He told that they will not die. Even though they would die with death as God told.

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. [thou shalt surely...: Heb. dying thou shalt die]
Gen. 2:17

So it wasn't satan who deceived.
OK
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 5:08:18 PM
That is the question.

Because he spoke.
He should never have communicated with humans.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 5:10:25 PM
That is the question.

Because it made the story more interesting. ;)
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 6:42:04 PM
That is the question.

The 'punishment' consisted of God telling it it had to crawl on its belly to get around from that point on. Duh, the serpent had no legs. That's why it was called a serpent and not a lizard. Great punishment God! It's like punishing a man by sentencing him to walk on two legs - no more flying in the air for you. Lol.

http://atheiststandup.tumblr.com...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 6:54:48 PM
At 12/3/2014 6:49:18 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
The serpent was full of bull poop

It must be comforting to know that there is at least one other person in the world as obsessed with cow manure as you are:

http://videos.huffingtonpost.com...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 7:46:23 PM
At 12/3/2014 7:03:27 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/3/2014 6:54:48 PM, dee-em wrote: D. umb Dumb. Dumb dee dum dee um.

I like how your posts are getting shorter and shorter. You have little to say apart from hellfire preaching. Soon you will fade away to nothing at all and we can get on with some intelligent discussion undistracted by your inane scatological outbursts. What a relief that will be.
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:22:26 PM
That is the question.

Why did God make a serpent to begin with?
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:56:51 PM
At 12/3/2014 7:46:23 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 12/3/2014 6:54:48 PM, dee-em wrote: D. umb Dumb. Dumb dee um dee um.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 9:07:40 PM

I like how your posts are getting shorter and shorter. You have little to say apart from hellfire preaching. Soon you will fade away to nothing at all and we can get on with some intelligent discussion undistracted by your inane scatological outbursts. What a relief that will be.

He seems to be getting a little crazier these days. His cheese was dangling... now it has completely slid off his cracker, ew, and I think he stepped on it. Someone call Nurse Ratched.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 9:47:57 PM
At 12/3/2014 9:07:40 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

He seems to be getting a little crazier these days. His cheese was dangling... now it has completely slid off his cracker, ew, and I think he stepped on it. Someone call Nurse Ratched.

She's unavailable. Her neck is still in a brace, even after all these years. The Indian told me.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 9:58:17 PM
That is the question.

Because God hates snakes, duh.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:31:22 PM
That is the question.

What serpent? Brahma is pleased with Shesha, and entrusts him with the duty of carrying the world. This is a great honor not a punishment.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 1:09:11 AM
Where are our bible experts when we need them?

I know, I know, the question makes the story as bloody ridiculous to you as it sounds to us.
Yeah that's right, satan was using the serpent therefore the serpent was innocent and your holy god was COMPLETELY UNJUST in punishing him.

Just one little snippet from your holy book of magic that proves conclusively that it was written by witless men for witless men.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 4:45:38 AM
At 12/4/2014 1:09:11 AM, bulproof wrote:
Where are our bible experts when we need them?

I know, I know, the question makes the story as bloody ridiculous to you as it sounds to us.
Yeah that's right, satan was using the serpent therefore the serpent was innocent and your holy god was COMPLETELY UNJUST in punishing him.

Just one little snippet from your holy book of magic that proves conclusively that it was written by witless men for witless men.
If we use the YLT version & Or the Botchtower EMPHATIC DIAGLOTT version, the Hebrew term ' Satan ' doesn't even appear in either of their narratives!

So those like psycho MCB that try to blame their Satan, it doesn't even make a mention in those versions, that's why MCB can't sustain his Satanic ideology at all and especially not using either or both of those versions that he claimed he could but went running for cover when I challenged him to do so!

QED
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 2:38:48 PM
At 12/3/2014 5:00:59 PM, bulproof wrote:

Satan has meaning "adversary (one who opposes another in purpose or act)". That fits to the serpent, therefore also the serpent can be said to be satan.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 7:36:08 PM
At 12/4/2014 2:38:48 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Satan has meaning "adversary (one who opposes another in purpose or act)". That fits to the serpent, therefore also the serpent can be said to be satan.

You don't understand the story do you?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 11:22:09 PM
At 12/4/2014 2:38:48 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Sure, so can bible god be called the greatest of Satans!, Proof -

1 Chronicles 21:1 reads.. And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

There is a parallel passage to this, another account of the same incident recorded in 2 Samuel 24:1

This reads "And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah". So that the satan that provoked Israel in 1 Chronicles is called the LORD in 2 Samuel.

Peter was also a Satan, Mark 8:33

MCB is also an adversary to the Truth, that makes him an evil Satan!

cf.

I am an adversary against lies & false preachings, so that makes me a benevolent = good Satan!
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 4:16:59 PM
At 12/4/2014 11:22:09 PM, Composer wrote:

1 Chronicles 21:1 reads.. And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

There is a parallel passage to this, another account of the same incident recorded in 2 Samuel 24:1

This reads "And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah". So that the satan that provoked Israel in 1 Chronicles is called the LORD in 2 Samuel.

Answer for that is:
http://carm.org...

But maybe it should be said, any adversary of God can be called satan. And if you are against him, who is sent by God, you are also against God.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:12:01 PM
At 12/4/2014 11:22:09 PM, Composer wrote:

Answer for that is:
http://carm.org...
That is the WRONG answer, so typical of M. Slick (Not so slick in reality, but actually rather a Snake-Oil salesman)

I am most familiar with Matthew Slick's BS claims. I wrote years ago extensively refuting him using his own propaganda, but he simply put the facts on his ignore list and refused to respond!

Even his own daughter doesn't believe him!

Even M. Slicks own propaganda refutes his claim e.g. -

Exodus 23:7:
Keep thee far from a false matter; and the innocent and righteous slay thou not: for I will not justify the wicked.

NB: . . . . I wil NOT justify the wicked . . . .

But M. Slick refutes his own supposed god, by claiming it does justify the wicked! LMAO@M. not so Slick!

M. Slick, like you, also asserts a Supernatural character that is NOT to be found in their bible i.e. a Supernatural fallen angel called Satan.

The term "Satan" is not a proper name, like Donald, for instance. (p. 93, How the Bible became the Bible by Donald L. O'Dell - ISBN 0-7414-2993-4 Published by INFINITY Publishing.com)

Because of the BS claims it is rather complex sorting out the mess that BS ideology creates -

1. For the wages of sin [is] death; . . . (Rom. 6:23) KJV Story book

2. ALL spirit angels never die (Luke 20:36) KJV Story book (Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; . . . .)

If you can never die, then you can never sin (Cyclic reasoning)

If some "think / claim" that there are a total of TWO classes consisting of - 1. heavenly and 2. ex-heavenly angels, and therefore some (i.e. class 2.) are somehow NOT God's angels any longer, then please provide evidence to substantiate that claim. For clearly ALL things belong to God at ALL times, without exception

Result: No Satan spirit being, No devil spirit being / No fallen heavenly angels / No literal spirit demons etc. etc.

The Biblical ' fallen angels ' are mortals (angelos (Grk.) = messengers who corrupted or abused their privileged positions and figuratively ' fell ' from their respective ' political high - heavenly places ' located right here on the earth.

HEAVEN. The Jews spoke of three heavens ; " (1.) The atmosphere, or lower region of the air, in which birds and vapors fly. Job xxxv. 11 ; Matt. xvi. 1. (2.) The expanse above, in which the stars are disposed, and which they seem to have thought was a solid concave. Matt. xxiv. 29. (3.) The habitation of God, where his power and glory are more immediately and fully manifested. Heaven is always the symbol of government ; the higher places in the political universe. The "kingdom of heaven," is the same as the kingdom of God, Matt. x. 7 ; Luke ix. 2 ; and is Messiah's reign on earth. See Psa. lxxii (i.e. 72:) ; Dan. vii. 14, 27 ; Matt. xxv. 31 " 34. (EMPHATIC DIAGLOTT Story book Alphabetical Appendix) (My Bold)

As I also accurately pointed out several translations make NO mention of a Satan in their narratives. They just say ' adversary / opposer ' and a good Samaritan can easily be a Good Satan e.g. You try to harm some one, I intercede to stop you, hence I become your Adversary and I also become the GOOD adversary/Satan by opposing your evil/harmful intent!

In fact the notion of ' fallen angels / messengers ' in bible Story book land relates ONLY to humans!

Supernatural disobedient angels is yet another religious lie!

QED
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:28:55 PM
That is the question.

Likely because Satan used the form of a snake in the act that incited the human race to rebel against God.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:41:39 PM
At 12/6/2014 7:28:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
That is the question.

Likely because Satan used the form of a snake in the act that incited the human race to rebel against God.

1. The YLT & E.D. Translations don't even state ' Satan ' in their entire narratives!

2. Satan is NOT a proper name!

3. Fallen Supernatural angels do not exist, even in bible story book land. Proofs -

1. For the wages of sin [is] death; . . . (Rom. 6:23) KJV story book

2. ALL Supernatural spirit angels never die (Luke 20:36) KJV story book

If you can never die, then you can never sin = NO naughty supernatural angels.

Only HUMANS can become ' fallen angels (Metaph') - angelos (Grk.) messengers '.

IF your supposed Supernatural naughty Satan had used the form of a snake, then 1. forever more it would have only have been able to ' crawl on its belly ' LOL! (Gen. 3:14) KJV Story book

2. As the Serpent was punished to crawl on its belly, it couldn't have crawled before, hence it wasn't originally a snake!

The whole tale is fanciful mythology that forms so much of bible story book land!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:45:26 PM
At 12/6/2014 7:41:39 PM, Composer wrote:
That is the question.

1. The YLT & E.D. Translations don't even state ' Satan ' in their entire narratives!

2. Satan is NOT a proper name!

3. Fallen Supernatural angels do not exist, even in bible story book land. Proofs -

1. For the wages of sin [is] death; . . . (Rom. 6:23) KJV story book

2. ALL Supernatural spirit angels never die (Luke 20:36) KJV story book

If you can never die, then you can never sin = NO naughty supernatural angels.

Only HUMANS can become ' fallen angels (Metaph') - angelos (Grk.) messengers '.

IF your supposed Supernatural naughty Satan had used the form of a snake, then 1. forever more it would have only have been able to ' crawl on its belly ' LOL! (Gen. 3:14) KJV Story book

2. As the Serpent was punished to crawl on its belly, it couldn't have crawled before, hence it wasn't originally a snake!

The whole tale is fanciful mythology that forms so much of bible story book land!

kfc

The DDO Blog:

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:49:51 PM
That is the question.

Firstly the human race did not rebel.
Secondly if the snake was possessed by a supernatural being then it had no control over it's actions and was therefore innocent and god's punishment was grossly unjust.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 8:04:37 PM
At 12/6/2014 7:49:51 PM, bulproof wrote:
That is the question.

Oh?

Secondly if the snake was possessed by a supernatural being then it had no control over it's actions and was therefore innocent and god's punishment was grossly unjust.

Probably the first good point I've heard you make. It's possible, however, that:
1. The Serpent, which was somehow sentient back then, joined Satan in his rebellion and it was speaking on Satan's behalf whenever it told Adam and Eve to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
2. Satan may have appeared to them as a snake, possibly the first snake ever. This assumes, of course, that Satan had the power to take on a physical form, which isn't that much of a stretch if you take the story of the Nephilim into account. Anyway, it's possible that afterwards God punished Satan, who had to remain as a snake for a certain amount of time and bear offspring (I don't know what it'd be with; possibly another demon snake).
3. Satan may have used the snake and snakes everywhere were punished. Similar cases of people suffering consequences for the actions of others have been found in the Bible.

Or, some other explanation that I haven't thought of.

The DDO Blog:

Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 8:47:32 PM
At 12/6/2014 8:04:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 12/6/2014 7:49:51 PM, bulproof wrote:
That is the question.

Oh?

Probably the first good point I've heard you make. It's possible, however, that:
1. The Serpent, which was somehow sentient back then, joined Satan in his rebellion and it was speaking on Satan's behalf whenever it told Adam and Eve to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
2. Satan may have appeared to them as a snake, possibly the first snake ever. This assumes, of course, that Satan had the power to take on a physical form, which isn't that much of a stretch if you take the story of the Nephilim into account. Anyway, it's possible that afterwards God punished Satan, who had to remain as a snake for a certain amount of time and bear offspring (I don't know what it'd be with; possibly another demon snake).
3. Satan may have used the snake and snakes everywhere were punished. Similar cases of people suffering consequences for the actions of others have been found in the Bible.

Or, some other explanation that I haven't thought of.

ROFL!

Keep thinking, surely you can conjure up better BS than that lot!

Never mind, at least you are entertaining!