Jump to topic:

Atheist Bible

Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 9:54:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why don't atheists write up all their rants and turn it into a book so that they can feed off of and so we don't have to hear them scream in forums all the time? It kind of gets old after a while you see.
When in doubt, start riots and scream racism
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 9:55:21 PM
Lol
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:03:19 PM
Well, that would be easier for theists than actually engaging atheists in honest debate... on a debate site where too many forum subjects have people insisting there is a god...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:03:57 PM
At 12/3/2014 9:54:32 PM, Conservative101 wrote:
Why don't atheists write up all their rants and turn it into a book so that they can feed off of and so we don't have to hear them scream in forums all the time? It kind of gets old after a while you see.

Why don't theists write up all their ridiculous, childish beliefs and turn it into a book ...

Oh, wait ...
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:11:01 PM
At 12/3/2014 10:03:19 PM, Fly wrote:
Well, that would be easier for theists than actually engaging atheists in honest debate... on a debate site where too many forum subjects have people insisting there is a god...

There are plenty of of theists who have made some intellectual debates. You just gotta know where to find them.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:12:12 PM
Keep your religion where it belongs, in your churches and in your homes, and you won't hear another peep out of most atheists. But as long as religious folks are shoving their beliefs into science classrooms and the government and public spaces, we're going to be there shoving back.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:13:20 PM

Actually, the internet forums are where atheist's write their scriptures.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:19:49 PM
At 12/3/2014 10:11:01 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

There are plenty of of theists who have made some intellectual debates. You just gotta know where to find them.

We also know Dinesh D souza is not one of those intellectuals. Francis Collins is one I consider to be intellectual as well as Ard Louis and Alister McGrath.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:23:49 PM
At 12/3/2014 10:12:12 PM, Burzmali wrote:
Keep your religion where it belongs, in your churches and in your homes, and you won't hear another peep out of most atheists. But as long as religious folks are shoving their beliefs into science classrooms and the government and public spaces, we're going to be there shoving back.

It's called freedom of religion. And public places are just that: public. Theist are a part of the public and have every right to free speech that you do. Have every right to vote on who represent them. Have every to voice their opinion on how they want their children raised, resources used, and what should or shouldn't be ethically accepted.

no man or woman is an island onto themselves. Sometimes you are going to be neighbors with someone who has a different world view then yourself.

Why don't you keep your Atheism to where it belongs. Inside your home and trolling on forums.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:26:28 PM
The only use I would have for an atheist 'Bible' is for fodder to quote, Chapter and Verse, at Christian/Islamic people who quote their texts as if it is evidence of something about reality.

There is nothing wrong with quoting those for historical purposes, (St Paul said X, so he thinks X), but not for much else.

In any case I was tempted to write a comprehensive counter-apologetics blog... But a million of those already exist, so meh.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:26:53 PM
At 12/3/2014 10:11:01 PM, Conservative101 wrote:

On this site? Are they not in the Religion forum then?

If you mean off this site, even the most intellectual debaters for theism lack objective evidence.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:29:30 PM
At 12/3/2014 10:23:49 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

It's called freedom of religion. And public places are just that: public. Theist are a part of the public and have every right to free speech that you do. Have every right to vote on who represent them. Have every to voice their opinion on how they want their children raised, resources used, and what should or shouldn't be ethically accepted.

no man or woman is an island onto themselves. Sometimes you are going to be neighbors with someone who has a different world view then yourself.

Why don't you keep your Atheism to where it belongs. Inside your home and trolling on forums.

My comment was within the context of the OP's whining about having his views criticized. You're just echoing my point: don't air your opinions in public if you can't bear to be confronted over them.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:33:54 PM
At 12/3/2014 10:29:30 PM, Burzmali wrote:

My comment was within the context of the OP's whining about having his views criticized. You're just echoing my point: don't air your opinions in public if you can't bear to be confronted over them.

I read the OP as expressing a feeling of exasperation in finding "discussion" on atheist/theist topics beneath the multitude of bare assertions and trolling posts.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:35:29 PM

Why don't Christians write up all their beliefs and turn it into a book so they can feed off of and so we don't have to hear them scream everywhere all the time? Oh wait ...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:37:28 PM
At 12/3/2014 10:35:29 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Why don't Christians write up all their beliefs and turn it into a book so they can feed off of and so we don't have to hear them scream everywhere all the time? Oh wait ...

And just see how well that worked out...
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:38:33 PM
At 12/3/2014 10:33:54 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/3/2014 10:29:30 PM, Burzmali wrote:

I read the OP as expressing a feeling of exasperation in finding "discussion" on atheist/theist topics beneath the multitude of bare assertions and trolling posts.

And I read it as a tantrum being thrown by a presumably grown adult acting much like my toddler does when I challenge his desire to continue to play with toys at bedtime. I guess everyone sees things differently.
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 11:32:27 PM

Well the problem is we have problems in the world, poverty, climate change, growing populations, ext. In order to hope to find quality solutions to these problems, we must understand reality as well as we can. Theists don't understand reality. Religion offers to easy of access in controlling one mind. As an example, we here in the United States have people telling the religious they should reject climate change because god wouldn't allow it. This is a block to actually addressing the problem. The reason I try to remove belief from the theist is that problems need to be addressed and often religion stands in the way. So religion must be removed. If the theist would just acknowledge data and reality, it would all be good. So the choice is made, you reject reality, I must try and tear belief from you. Not my first choice. Only my last option.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 12:02:44 AM
At 12/3/2014 11:32:27 PM, NoMagic wrote:

Well the problem is we have problems in the world, poverty, climate change, growing populations, ext. In order to hope to find quality solutions to these problems, we must understand reality as well as we can. Theists don't understand reality. Religion offers to easy of access in controlling one mind. As an example, we here in the United States have people telling the religious they should reject climate change because god wouldn't allow it. This is a block to actually addressing the problem. The reason I try to remove belief from the theist is that problems need to be addressed and often religion stands in the way. So religion must be removed. If the theist would just acknowledge data and reality, it would all be good. So the choice is made, you reject reality, I must try and tear belief from you. Not my first choice. Only my last option.

^This
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 12:22:54 AM
At 12/3/2014 11:32:27 PM, NoMagic wrote: : : At 12/3/2014 9:54:32 PM, Conservative101 wrote: : : : : Well the problem is we have problems in the world, poverty, climate change, growing populations, ext. In order to hope to find quality solutions to these problems, we must understand reality as well as we can. Theists don't understand reality. Religion offers to easy of access in controlling one mind. As an example, we here in the United States have people telling the religious they should reject climate change because god wouldn't allow it. This is a block to actually addressing the problem. The reason I try to remove belief from the theist is that problems need to be addressed and often religion stands in the way. So religion must be removed. If the theist would just acknowledge data and reality, it would all be good. So the choice is made, you reject reality, I must try and tear belief from you. Not my first choice. Only my last option. You want to ban religion? Sounds like Stalin and Zedong.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 12:28:15 AM
At 12/4/2014 12:22:54 AM, Conservative101 wrote:
At 12/3/2014 11:32:27 PM, NoMagic wrote: : : At 12/3/2014 9:54:32 PM, Conservative101 wrote: : : : : Well the problem is we have problems in the world, poverty, climate change, growing populations, ext. In order to hope to find quality solutions to these problems, we must understand reality as well as we can. Theists don't understand reality. Religion offers to easy of access in controlling one mind. As an example, we here in the United States have people telling the religious they should reject climate change because god wouldn't allow it. This is a block to actually addressing the problem. The reason I try to remove belief from the theist is that problems need to be addressed and often religion stands in the way. So religion must be removed. If the theist would just acknowledge data and reality, it would all be good. So the choice is made, you reject reality, I must try and tear belief from you. Not my first choice. Only my last option.

You want to ban religion? Sounds like Stalin and Zedong.

Where did you get 'ban' in any of that?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 1:31:16 AM
At 12/3/2014 10:13:20 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Actually, the internet forums are where atheist's write their scriptures.

Actually, atheists don't have any "scriptures". We never have, and we never will. We don't need scripture. If you want to know what most atheists believe, reality is right there in front of you.

If you want to know what a particular theist believes, you need a book because reality won't show you.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 1:45:12 AM
At 12/3/2014 10:35:29 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Hey, stop stealing my lines! :-)
Conservative101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 9:14:02 AM
At 12/4/2014 12:28:15 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 12/3/2014 11:32:27 PM, NoMagic wrote: : : At 12/3/2014 9:54:32 PM, Conservative101 wrote: : : : : Well the problem is we have problems in the world, poverty, climate change, growing populations, ext. In order to hope to find quality solutions to these problems, we must understand reality as well as we can. Theists don't understand reality. Religion offers to easy of access in controlling one mind. As an example, we here in the United States have people telling the religious they should reject climate change because god wouldn't allow it. This is a block to actually addressing the problem. The reason I try to remove belief from the theist is that problems need to be addressed and often religion stands in the way. So religion must be removed. If the theist would just acknowledge data and reality, it would all be good. So the choice is made, you reject reality, I must try and tear belief from you. Not my first choice. Only my last option.

"So religion must be removed."
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 10:42:05 PM
At 12/4/2014 9:14:02 AM, Conservative101 wrote:
At 12/4/2014 12:28:15 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

"So religion must be removed."

As an obstacle to the problem.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:06:38 AM

Well, that would ruin it. Atheism isn't a religion. You should try it. :P
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:21:16 AM
At 12/5/2014 3:06:38 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

Atheism is not a religion per se, but it is a faith. The derivation and underlying meaning of "re-legion" precludes atheism from being classified as such. However, for purposes here, being a certain system of faith is sufficient. Atheism accepts certain tenets blindly just as they accuse religions of doing.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:40:59 AM
At 12/5/2014 4:21:16 AM, annanicole wrote:

Atheism is not a religion per se, but it is a faith. The derivation and underlying meaning of "re-legion" precludes atheism from being classified as such. However, for purposes here, being a certain system of faith is sufficient.

"Atheism accepts certain tenets blindly"

examples include....?

just as they accuse religions of doing.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:55:02 AM
At 12/5/2014 4:40:59 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Atheism is not a religion per se, but it is a faith. The derivation and underlying meaning of "re-legion" precludes atheism from being classified as such. However, for purposes here, being a certain system of faith is sufficient.

examples include....?

Here's one:

There is absolutely no reason under the sun for dating the book of Acts at any time other than AD 62-64. None at all. It is a running narrative and ends abruptly with Paul in Rome, yet no outcome of his case is given. Yet atheists will uniformly date the book around AD 100. Why? Well, they have to! Why? Because the book of Luke (which predates Acts) prophesies very specifically of the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. That's why! Since they can't have such specific prophesies antedating the destruction of the city, they move the dates to accommodate their theories.

That's just one example. There are dozens just like it.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 4:59:54 AM
At 12/5/2014 4:55:02 AM, annanicole wrote:

examples include....?

Here's one:

There is absolutely no reason under the sun for dating the book of Acts at any time other than AD 62-64. None at all. It is a running narrative and ends abruptly with Paul in Rome, yet no outcome of his case is given. Yet atheists will uniformly date the book around AD 100. Why? Well, they have to! Why? Because the book of Luke (which predates Acts) prophesies very specifically of the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. That's why! Since they can't have such specific prophesies antedating the destruction of the city, they move the dates to accommodate their theories.

So the veracity of the Bible is being questioned... and its the athiest's blind faith in the Bible that forces it to be debated?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 5:24:39 AM
At 12/5/2014 4:59:54 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 12/5/2014 4:55:02 AM, annanicole wrote:

examples include....?

Here's one:

So the veracity of the Bible is being questioned

Not only questioned, but certain theories are accepted in blind faith. As I said, this is but one example.