Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

U. S. Religious Knowledge

Fly
Posts: 3,172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 5:49:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I got 15/15. I have to admit that it being multiple choice helped...

I'm surprised that Mormons are one of the top scoring groups, along with Jews and atheists/agnostics.
"I don"t have faith in faith
I don"t believe in belief
You can call me faithless
But I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that"s faith enough for me"
-Rush
Redspectre
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 5:52:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/4/2014 5:49:51 PM, Fly wrote:
I got 15/15. I have to admit that it being multiple choice helped...

I'm surprised that Mormons are one of the top scoring groups, along with Jews and atheists/agnostics.

Mormons surprised me too. Atheists not so much. Many of them are closet theists so it explains why they would know so much about religion.
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 5:54:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/4/2014 5:49:51 PM, Fly wrote:
I got 15/15. I have to admit that it being multiple choice helped...

I'm surprised that Mormons are one of the top scoring groups, along with Jews and atheists/agnostics.

I looked at your profile, so I'm not surprised by your score. I am Budhist and got the same score.
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 6:04:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/4/2014 5:52:33 PM, Redspectre wrote:
At 12/4/2014 5:49:51 PM, Fly wrote:
I got 15/15. I have to admit that it being multiple choice helped...

I'm surprised that Mormons are one of the top scoring groups, along with Jews and atheists/agnostics.

Mormons surprised me too. Atheists not so much. Many of them are closet theists so it explains why they would know so much about religion.

Thanks! You gave me the best laugh I've had in quite a while.

I disagree with your conclusion on atheists. I think it's because they have gone through the process of actually studying different religions seeking one that makes sense. As I said above, I am Budhist. Belief in a god or gods is not a requirement to practice Budhism.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 25,917
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 6:04:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/4/2014 5:29:22 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
From Pew Research :

http://www.pewforum.org...

Pretty interesting results.

Take an abbreviated version of the quiz yourself :

http://www.pewforum.org...

OK, I got 15/15, so is it supposed to be difficult, or is it just that I'm not American?
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.
Envisage
Posts: 3,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2014 6:38:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Got 13/15. Didn't have a clue on the last 2, Jonathan Edwards or The Mormon one. Also guessed 1 so I 'knew' 12/15. Not bad :-)
Skepticalone
Posts: 8,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 12:36:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/4/2014 5:29:22 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
From Pew Research :

http://www.pewforum.org...

Pretty interesting results.

Take an abbreviated version of the quiz yourself :

http://www.pewforum.org...

13/15. I missed the question on the Jewish Sabbath and Ramadan.
Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 25,917
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 5:10:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/4/2014 6:19:56 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I wish I could do a statistical analysis of self reported scores from the quiz to compare with Pew's results.

Yeah it would be interesting, lol, in some cases.
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.
Cryo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 2:51:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
14/15. For some reason I put Saturday as the beginning of the Jewish Sabbath instead of Friday. Damnit. I knew that one too.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 25,917
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 3:12:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/5/2014 2:51:18 PM, Cryo wrote:
14/15. For some reason I put Saturday as the beginning of the Jewish Sabbath instead of Friday. Damnit. I knew that one too.

Easy done. The only reason I got 15 was because I guessed the two about American legislation and got them right. But then it was logical to say what I did..

It's amazing how many questions can be answered simply on logic, especially multiple choice ones, lol.
It impossible to make a horse drink which is not thirsty, or eat if it is not hungry.

Likewise it is impossible to teach a person who does not wish to learn. Matthew 13:15.