Jump to topic:

Atheist Christmas Billboards...

jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 5:51:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It's that time of year again and the atheist Christmas billboards are here. It's amazing to me how torn up people get over these. Christmas started as a pagan winter festival. It was adopted as Jesus' birthday by Christians. It's made up! I see no issue with the billboards. So what's the problem?

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

I'd rather see freedom of speech and religion (or lack there of) than the alternative. What say you Christians? Why are people so upset about this?
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:13:41 PM
At 12/5/2014 6:00:56 PM, dee-em wrote:
"Support the war on Xmas or the fruitcakes win!".

Festivus for the rest of us.

Does anybody even like fruitcake? ;P
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 6:22:20 PM
At 12/5/2014 6:13:41 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

Exactly.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:16:16 PM
At 12/5/2014 6:22:20 PM, dee-em wrote:

Exactly.

Anti fruitcake billboards might solve this problem. Ban fruitcakes from Christmas.
carriead20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:26:41 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:16:16 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/5/2014 6:22:20 PM, dee-em wrote:

Exactly.

Anti fruitcake billboards might solve this problem. Ban fruitcakes from Christmas.

https://imgflip.com...
To all the people fighting a hard battle out there - life's giving you a pretty hard beating. There's no sugarcoating that, but there's no shadow that's free of light. When life sneers at you and asks, "Ready to go again?" - Raise your hand. Reach out to victory. Don't give in.

---Help Bsh and YYW see each other---
http://www.gofundme.com...
IEnglishman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:33:36 PM
At 12/5/2014 5:51:13 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
It's that time of year again and the atheist Christmas billboards are here. It's amazing to me how torn up people get over these. Christmas started as a pagan winter festival. It was adopted as Jesus' birthday by Christians. It's made up! I see no issue with the billboards. So what's the problem?

The problem likely lies with the american atheists who apparently have to resort to mockery to make people think about their religion, rather than use logical arguments or evidence.

I'd rather see freedom of speech and religion (or lack there of) than the alternative. What say you Christians? Why are people so upset about this?
Bulproof admits he's a troll http://www.debate.org... (see post 16). Do not feed.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:39:38 PM

I'd say most people are upset because it makes you atheists look like utter assh*les.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:40:36 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:33:36 PM, IEnglishman wrote:

The problem likely lies with the american atheists who apparently have to resort to mockery to make people think about their religion, rather than use logical arguments or evidence.

This. For a group that claims to have a monopoly on logic and reason, they seem to rely on neither of them when evangelizing their umbelief.

jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:41:05 PM

According to the attached article, in some places in the US it's illegal to hold political office if you're an atheist. The mocking is in many ways defensive and not the offensive attacks that most Christians would like to portray.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:41:26 PM

I'm not religious, but I see the point. The middle-finger thing probably didn't start-out as a snub, but it sure is now. What I'm curious about is why someone with NO personal investment in the issue would go out of their way to aggravate someone else who DOES care.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:51:30 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:41:26 PM, Idealist wrote:

I'm not religious, but I see the point. The middle-finger thing probably didn't start-out as a snub, but it sure is now. What I'm curious about is why someone with NO personal investment in the issue would go out of their way to aggravate someone else who DOES care.

Did you read the article? If not then read it and explain to me why it should be illegal for an atheist to hold political office in TN? Or why in the southern states you can't tell people you're atheist without fearing what might happen to you socially.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:53:40 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:40:36 PM, TN05 wrote:

This. For a group that claims to have a monopoly on logic and reason, they seem to rely on neither of them when evangelizing their umbelief.

And theists rely on reason and logic? Logical Christian is an oxymoron.

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:55:20 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:53:40 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

I beg to differ. The vast majority of western scientists and scholars in the past 2,000 years have been Christians. But they don't count, do they?

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:56:27 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:51:30 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

Did you read the article? If not then read it and explain to me why it should be illegal for an atheist to hold political office in TN? Or why in the southern states you can't tell people you're atheist without fearing what might happen to you socially.

It isn't illegal; that law has been struck down.

Similarly, the idea atheists are systematically persecuted in the south is a fantasy. There are plenty of atheists here.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 8:59:01 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:56:27 PM, TN05 wrote:

Similarly, the idea atheists are systematically persecuted in the south is a fantasy. There are plenty of atheists here.

And I'm guessing you aren't an atheist?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:05:51 PM

This source says that it hasn't been stuck down. Provide proof that it has:

http://americanhumanist.org...
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:06:45 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:59:01 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

No, but I know atheists. Nobody gives a crap.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:09:02 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:06:45 PM, TN05 wrote:

I sense hostility... how do you feel about atheists?
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:10:37 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:05:51 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

The SC Supreme Court struck theirs down, and all others do not enforce the ban. It's pragmatic - it'd be a waste of money to defend it.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:12:01 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:09:02 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/5/2014 9:06:45 PM, TN05 wrote:

I sense hostility... how do you feel about atheists?

I can say sincerely that every atheist I've met in person has been a delightful person. I have no issue with atheists or atheism beyond my philosophical rejection of it.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:14:53 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:10:37 PM, TN05 wrote:

The SC Supreme Court struck theirs down, and all others do not enforce the ban. It's pragmatic - it'd be a waste of money to defend it.

So you're saying it would be a waste of time and money to remove discriminatory laws from the books? Please explain.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:15:12 PM

What are you talking about? It's part of the Constitution. You can't require anyone to hold theistic beliefs and you can't descriminate against them if they don't. It's part race, RELIGION, color, creed, and gender.

That's a fairly ridiculous claim in light of the unconstitutional statute still being on the books in Tennessee.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:16:05 PM
At 12/5/2014 8:55:20 PM, TN05 wrote:

I beg to differ. The vast majority of western scientists and scholars in the past 2,000 years have been Christians. But they don't count, do they?

Here we go again with the same half-truths, over and over. Yes, before the 20th century what you say is true, but the inference is false. Prior to the latter half of the 20th century western people lived in highly theistic societies. Pretty much everyone was Christian especially including scientists because higher education was pretty much controlled by religious institutions. Scientists did science despite religion, not because of it. And certain explorations were off limits. We all know that. Look at Galileo.

So, why dont we take a fair indicator of any link between religion and logical reasoning in contemporary society where you are not an outcast if you don't attend church. What do we find when we examine the religiosity of eminent scientists around the world? We find that over 90% have no belief in god.

Stop with your erroneous and dishonest use of statistics and admit that logical Christian is an oxymoron.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:16:46 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:14:53 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

So you're saying it would be a waste of time and money to remove discriminatory laws from the books? Please explain.

No, that it would be a waste of time and money to defend it.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:18:10 PM

American freedoms and rights are defined in the Constitution. Am I understanding you correctly? You think it's a waste of money to defend our constitutional rights?
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:18:33 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:16:05 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 12/5/2014 8:55:20 PM, TN05 wrote:

Here we go again with the same half-truths, over and over. Yes, before the 20th century what you say is true, but the inference is false. Prior to the latter half of the 20th century western people lived in highly theistic societies. Pretty much everyone was Christian especially including scientists because higher education was pretty much controlled by religious institutions. Scientists did science despite religion, not because of it. And certain explorations were off limits. We all know that. Look at Galileo.

And yet they were logical, and also Christian.

So, why dont we take a fair indicator of any link between religion and logical reasoning in contemporary society where you are not an outcast if you don't attend church. What do we find when we examine the religiosity of eminent scientists around the world? We find that over 90% have no belief in god.

Correlation =/ causation.

Stop with your erroneous and dishonest use of statistics and admit that logical Christian is an oxymoron.

No. The logical Christian is not an oxymoron any more than the logical atheist is.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:19:14 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:18:10 PM, Beastt wrote:

American freedoms and rights are defined in the Constitution. Am I understanding you correctly? You think it's a waste of money to defend our constitutional rights?

Please learn how to read. When I say 'it'd be a waste of money to defend it', what do you think I am referring to?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:20:19 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:16:46 PM, TN05 wrote:

That makes you either an anti-American fascist, or totally ignorant of what is being discussed. The Bill of Rights (part of the Constitution), guarantees that people can't be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, creed or religion. And you think it's a wast of money to defend our civil rights?
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2014 9:20:55 PM
At 12/5/2014 9:20:19 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/5/2014 9:16:46 PM, TN05 wrote:

That makes you either an anti-American fascist, or totally ignorant of what is being discussed. The Bill of Rights (part of the Constitution), guarantees that people can't be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, creed or religion. And you think it's a wast of money to defend our civil rights?

I am growing weary of you straw-manning me into the opposite of my position.