Jump to topic:

Religious Freedom in Malaysia is a joke

nky1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 10:06:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Malays who try to covert from Islam are condemned. They are fined or imprisoned without trial. However, non-malays are welcome to covert to Islam. Man, this is so bullish*t. They should do what countries like India has done by not having a official religion. That is true freedom of religion right there. What do other people think about this?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 7:34:21 PM
At 12/6/2014 10:06:00 AM, nky1 wrote:
Malays who try to covert from Islam are condemned. They are fined or imprisoned without trial. However, non-malays are welcome to covert to Islam. Man, this is so bullish*t. They should do what countries like India has done by not having a official religion. That is true freedom of religion right there. What do other people think about this?

I prefer freedom from religion.

Just out of interest, how are deconverting Muslims condemned exactly? I mean, if you just quietly stopped worshipping, who outs you to the authorities? Family, neighbours, friends?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 11:49:48 PM

I think that this is problem #1 with religion.... intolerance and oppression.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 12:04:23 AM

It seems that if you want to assure that people will wish to hold a particular religious belief, all that is necessary is to tell them that they're not allowed. People seem to fall for that no matter how silly it is to propose that anyone can control what someone else is "allowed" to believe.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 12:42:48 AM
At 12/7/2014 12:04:23 AM, Beastt wrote:

It seems that if you want to assure that people will wish to hold a particular religious belief, all that is necessary is to tell them that they're not allowed. People seem to fall for that no matter how silly it is to propose that anyone can control what someone else is "allowed" to believe.

Reverse psychology. It works on a three year old too. Sad but true.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 1:04:48 AM
At 12/6/2014 7:34:21 PM, dee-em wrote:

Just out of interest, how are deconverting Muslims condemned exactly? I mean, if you just quietly stopped worshipping, who outs you to the authorities? Family, neighbours, friends?

They actually have a an Islamic religious police force which is a separate entity from the secular police force. They also monitor premarital contact, adultery, and other sins / religious crimes . Renouncing Islam is a crime. If charged, the "trials" are held in a religious court. Penalties can be severe. There is no recourse to the secular courts. Supposedly non-muslims are exempt.

Similar situations exist in many countries. Another example can be found in parts of Indonesia.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 1:16:49 AM
At 12/7/2014 1:04:48 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 12/6/2014 7:34:21 PM, dee-em wrote:

They actually have a an Islamic religious police force which is a separate entity from the secular police force. They also monitor premarital contact, adultery, and other sins / religious crimes . Renouncing Islam is a crime. If charged, the "trials" are held in a religious court. Penalties can be severe. There is no recourse to the secular courts. Supposedly non-muslims are exempt.

Similar situations exist in many countries. Another example can be found in parts of Indonesia.

Interesting. I've been reading up on this in wikipedia, eg. the Lina Joy test case. It's disturbing I must say. The evils of religion laid bare. Christianity shares this history too. The Muslims need their own Enlightenment.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2014 4:02:12 AM

I don't know much of anything about malaysia. I didn't know this was a problem. When ever me and other academics talk about "Muslim countries" we're always reminded that there are predominately muslim countries in the pacific that do not fit in with the authoritarian middle eastern countries. But it appears freedom is limited along religious lines.

But I have heard that eating pork is not a taboo, is that true?