Jump to topic:

Why is this forum so messy?

PapaNolan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:04:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Why is this forum (religion) so unorganized? All of the other forums are very tidy, while this one is a complete mess. This site needs to clean this up a little.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:14:38 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:04:49 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Why is this forum (religion) so unorganized? All of the other forums are very tidy, while this one is a complete mess. This site needs to clean this up a little.

Hang out a while and it will become evident to you that this forum is the psych ward. I'm not a patient. I just work here ;)
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:38:21 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:14:38 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

Hang out a while and it will become evident to you that this forum is the psych ward. I'm not a patient. I just work here ;)

What she said. This is where the loonies gather for treatment by atheists.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:50:10 PM
The patients believe they are the doctors and the doctors just humor them and throw them some food now and then.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:56:05 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:38:21 PM, Beastt wrote:

Beastt good to meet you..
I reply... With a question.. You are the expert because you are an Atheist? Is this it?!

I point out... Atheism requires faith.
Both atheists and theists have "faith" in the sense that they believe statements that cannot be proven with absolute certainty. Theists have religious faith while atheists have confidence in truths that cannot be absolutely proven.
What makes you any different then the Christian? NOTHING!

Beastt You BELIEVE there is no god!
I BELIEVE there is!

I believe in ETERNAL life! A Positive
You reject life eternal! A Negative

I believe in a creator. A Positive
You reject creation for "Dumb Luck" just an accident you were not born a pig! A Negative
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 4:57:35 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:56:05 PM, Dogknox wrote:

I reply... With a question.. You are the expert because you are an Atheist? Is this it?!

Both atheists and theists have "faith" in the sense that they believe statements that cannot be proven with absolute certainty. Theists have religious faith while atheists have confidence in truths that cannot be absolutely proven.

I BELIEVE there is!

You reject creation for "Dumb Luck" just an accident you were not born a pig! A Negative

I remember you.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:06:34 PM
As you can see, the atheists that participate here think that believing in God or a spiritual reality means one is crazy or psycho, or even stupid. Anything that does not line up with what they perceive as truth is completely discarded.
I think if the Atheists should have their own forum it could relieve some of the tension because they think they own the place and are pissing all over the religion forum like this is their territory and no one else should belong here.
Basically what you have is a bunch of angry ex-christians who now have a grudge because of what their family did or believed in or tried to force on them and now they are gonna show us how dumb we are, how stupid we are to believe in anything. That is their purpose here and it makes for crappy engagement because they are bent on destroying any religious discussion.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:18:09 PM
At 12/10/2014 4:56:05 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Nope, not an expert - just rational.
There is no evidence for fairies, so it's rational to disbelieve they exist.
There is no evidence for unicorns, so it's rational to disbelieve they exist.
There is no evidence for Leprechauns, so it's rational to disbelieve they exist.
No theist would argue with these conclusions.

There is no evidence for god(s), so it's rational to disbelieve they exist.
Every theist - by definition - violates logic in this regard.

No it doesn't. Atheism is purely consistent with the lack of evidence for God. And if you plan to roll out that PRATT (Point Refutted A Thousand Times), in here, you're going to walk away looking rather sad, defeated and humiliated.

Both atheists and theists have "faith" in the sense that they believe statements that cannot be proven with absolute certainty.
But that's not the definition of "faith". Faith (in the theistic context), is belief devoid of objective evidence. Do you have "faith" that you own a car, or do you have objective evidence that you own a car? See the difference? Do you have "faith" that the sun and moon exist because they are claimed to exist in books, or do you have actual evidence to substantiate their existence?

Atheism doesn't rely on faith. It's formulated on the evidence... just like every other rational belief.

Theists have religious faith while atheists have confidence in truths that cannot be absolutely proven.
Familiarize yourself with science - you know, the discipline which has resulted in absolutely every modern comfort and convenience, medicine, greater food production, transportation, etc. - which doesn't subscribe to the concept of "proof" because it's a silly and fallacious concept. There are conclusions which are supported by objective evidence, and those which are not. Those which have no supporting objective evidence are "faith" - no different than a child's belief in the monster in his closet, or Santa Claus. It's a hard pill to swallow at first. I was raised as a theist and retained those beliefs of faith until I was 33-years old.

Wrong again. I look to evidence and reject beliefs which aren't supported by evidence. Care to show me the evidence that Jesus existed? Care to show me the evidence that snakes can talk, that wizards, unicorns, giants, witches, dragons and sea monsters exist? They're all mentioned in the Bible.

I BELIEVE there is!
But you have no evidence to support your belief in God.
Do you believe in fairies, unicorns, gremlins, mermaids, or goblins? There isn't any evidence for them either. So how can one pick one unevidenced entity in which to instill belief, while dismissing all other unevidenced entities, and still hold any claim to being rational? Belief in God while dismissing the rest is an irrational double-standard. But it's one that many people accept simply because they're raised with that idea, and believe that if many people hold a belief, it makes that belief more rational, and more likely. That's a fallacy.

In other words, you completely reject biology. Life is defined as a series of up to 7 specific processes, nearly all of them chemical interactions. And yet, you somehow believe that life continues, without any chemical interactions.
Do you have any evidence that disembodied life is possible? It's a pure contradiction.

Then you dismiss the fundamental laws of thermodynamics. The First Law of Thermodynamics states that matter/energy can be neither created nor destroyed. Now explain how you can believe in a "creator" - for that which shows no sign of being created - and which cannot be created. Do you have any evidence that creation is possible? Or do you get that from a book of absurd writings from primitive, ignorant and superstitious men, which can easily be shown to be incorrect on a great many counts?

Luck has nothing to do with it. What makes you think it's about luck? Why is it more lucky to be born than to not be born? For the billions of years before you were born, were you distressed that you hadn't been born yet? Did it bother you at all? Could it have bothered you at all?
The word "accident" suggests an outcome other than intended. What makes you think there was intent behind the universe, Earth, and life?

See? Rationality beats absurd superstition. It did when vulcanology replaced volcano gods. It did when medicine replaced driving out evil spirits. It did when heliocentrism replaced geocentrism. And it did when evolution replaced an all-powerful metaphysical kid playing with his life-creation kit in a dimension beyond the physical - one for which you STILL have no evidence.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:24:55 PM

Post #5 --- point in case.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:34:53 PM
At 12/10/2014 5:06:34 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
As you can see, the atheists that participate here think that believing in God or a spiritual reality means one is crazy or psycho, or even stupid.

What makes belief in an invisible, all-knowing, all-powerful creator of that which was never created, any more rational than belief in an invisible friend, Santa Claus or that Elvis rose from the dead and lives (in an invisible state), in your basement?

You've simply grown to accept belief in God. You've never examined that belief rationally or fairly.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:38:35 PM

This forum is more messed up than the middle east. And we prefer it that way.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:39:16 PM

The most deranged ones think they are not patients.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:50:43 PM
At 12/10/2014 5:39:16 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Yes.... yes they do. Time for your meds now.
http://youtu.be...
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:53:28 PM
At 12/10/2014 5:50:43 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

No! What are you talking about? I'm not crazy! It's the gremlins! You're working for the gremlins aren't you?! Ha aha agaaa I knew it! I'm not crazy you're crazy!! fsrwewsdfsdfs
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 5:54:31 PM

Funny thing is, watching this thread pan out on its own will answer your question in the most illustrative way possible...

www.debate.org = www.debatewhethergodexists.org
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 6:17:04 PM
At 12/10/2014 5:53:28 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

No! What are you talking about? I'm not crazy! It's the gremlins! You're working for the gremlins aren't you?! Ha aha agaaa I knew it! I'm not crazy you're crazy!! fsrwewsdfsdfs

Someone's going to get angry anytime now and sling the CandyLand game board across the room.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 6:59:59 PM
At 12/10/2014 6:17:04 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

Someone's going to get angry anytime now and sling the CandyLand game board across the room.

We call that "progress". It demonstrates how far we've come from flinging feces.

We have so much reason to be a proud species... made in God's image?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 7:08:20 PM
At 12/10/2014 6:59:59 PM, Beastt wrote:

We call that "progress". It demonstrates how far we've come from flinging feces.

No, human beings can't live up to such standards.

Hey, wanna play CandyLand? I promise I won't cheat!
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 7:56:55 PM
At 12/10/2014 7:08:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

Well, we created a God in our image, then suggested that God created us in him image. So in the end, we created ourselves in our image. It's incredibly easy to live up to. And if we examine the outcome, we find that the God we created, created us in his image, and that we are naturally evil, vile, wicked and sinful. We've set the bar quite low.

Do you mind if I pour massage oil on the chutes and loosen the rungs on the ladders?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:00:35 PM

It's common for patients in psych wards to believe they only work there. :P It's also common for every person to believe in their own perceptions more than anyone else's.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:02:28 PM

It's a sign of the times. You cannot mention religion these days without total anarchy setting-in. Even on YouTube people like to camp-out on certain videos and argue science vs. creation, and they get pretty heated-up about it.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:03:44 PM
At 12/10/2014 8:00:35 PM, Idealist wrote:

It's common for patients in psych wards to believe they only work there. :P It's also common for every person to believe in their own perceptions more than anyone else's.

So you appreciate the humor in it. :D
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:06:06 PM
At 12/10/2014 7:56:55 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/10/2014 7:08:20 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

Well, we created a God in our image, then suggested that God created us in him image. So in the end, we created ourselves in our image. It's incredibly easy to live up to. And if we examine the outcome, we find that the God we created, created us in his image, and that we are naturally evil, vile, wicked and sinful. We've set the bar quite low.

Do you mind if I pour massage oil on the chutes and loosen the rungs on the ladders?

Sshhh! Put that away! I hear Nurse Ratched coming!
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:06:29 PM

And those who actually care about the accuracy of their perceptions, are those who seek only those perceptions supported by objective evidence. It separates the patients from the care providers.

Supposed you were suffering from a potentially terminal cancer. Would you take an invisible medication that you can't verify exists by any objective means, on the word of a doctor who can't provide a single shred of evidence that this unevidenced medication has ever helped anyone?

Or do you prefer your serious perceptions to be consistent with reality?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:27:04 PM
At 12/10/2014 8:03:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

So you appreciate the humor in it. :D

Yeah, I do, unfortunately. What's really a shame is that this is by-far the most active forum on the board. That wouldn't be such a bad thing (considering the scarcity of posters) if people could play nice, but it mostly seems to be every person for their self.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:35:03 PM
At 12/10/2014 8:06:29 PM, Beastt wrote:

And those who actually care about the accuracy of their perceptions, are those who seek only those perceptions supported by objective evidence. It separates the patients from the care providers.

The objective evidence you perceive can only be seen from your own objective. If I'm standing on one side of a building and you on the other then we are going to see it differently, no? I'm afraid in this asylum there are only patients who accept that they are patients and ones who are deluded into believing they are not.

Supposed you were suffering from a potentially terminal cancer. Would you take an invisible medication that you can't verify exists by any objective means, on the word of a doctor who can't provide a single shred of evidence that this unevidenced medication has ever helped anyone?

No, I wouldn't, but neither do I take it just because the doctor says so. I do my own research and decide what to take. There have been quite a few prescriptions that I've thrown into the trash because I did my own looking and found how harmful and useless it was. We are all wandering around in the dark to some extent, feeling our way as best we can, and we don't all feel the same things.

Once again, your reality is dependent on your perception. Quantum mechanics has blown certainty out the window. Now people are willing to accept that the whole universe came into existence through some random quantum fluctuation simply because it gives them a way to explain what science can't explain: first cause. There are far more things in this reality than are dreamt of in any of our philosophies.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:42:45 PM
At 12/10/2014 5:38:35 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

This forum is more messed up than the middle east. And we prefer it that way.

Is that an objective truth?
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:55:06 PM
At 12/10/2014 8:35:03 PM, Idealist wrote:
At 12/10/2014 8:06:29 PM, Beastt wrote:

The objective evidence you perceive can only be seen from your own objective.
No. It appears you're unfamiliar with the terms"objective" and "subjective. You're describing subjective evidence - that which theists claim.

If I'm standing on one side of a building and you on the other then we are going to see it differently, no? I'm afraid in this asylum there are only patients who accept that they are patients and ones who are deluded into believing they are not.
We both see a building, and the building can be objectively verified to exist.

No, I wouldn't, but neither do I take it just because the doctor says so. I do my own research and decide what to take.
So then evidence matters to you in regard to things which are of vital importance to you. Yet you dismiss the fact that theism is devoid of evidence.

There have been quite a few prescriptions that I've thrown into the trash because I did my own looking and found how harmful and useless it was. We are all wandering around in the dark to some extent, feeling our way as best we can, and we don't all feel the same things.
And yet you haven't yet managed to notice how useless and harmful religion is to the whole of humanity.

Once again, your reality is dependent on your perception.
No it isn't. That would be a subjective assessment. I'm talking about an objective assessment and you're attempting to side-step that important difference.

Quantum mechanics has blown certainty out the window.
This is the kind of claim Michael Shermer correctly calls "woowoo". Quantum mechanics offers no veracity to theism. It simply shows us that when we isolate an individual particle, there is little we can say about it with confidence. Anything you isolate sufficiently becomes a series of unknowns. When we describe physical properties, we do so as comparisons to the physical properties of other things. If you could take an electron from this universe, into a different theoretical universe where all particles possessed a more negative charge, then the electron from our universe suddenly has a positive charger, despite the fact that we haven't altered it's charge at all. So you can say nothing aside from probabilities in regard to the charge of an isolated particle. And quantum mechanics deals with the properties of isolated particles.

Now people are willing to accept that the whole universe came into existence through some random quantum fluctuation simply because it gives them a way to explain what science can't explain: first cause.
Anyone trying to explain how the universe "came into being" is missing the most poignant point - the universe did NOT "come into being". That's a fallacy. It's essentially a claim of magic. Nothing "comes into being from non-existence".

There are far more things in this reality than are dreamt of in any of our philosophies.
Which is a fine quotation, but offers no real hope of a god or god-like entity. Those are strictly the product of human imagination.

Why do you continually claim you're not a theist, when its so clear that you've simply devised your own personal religion?
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 8:59:53 PM

From my experience, it's because everyone believes they are right and that, consequently, they are superior to everyone else.

People can't seem to hold civil, productive discussions, and we end up with name-calling and intolerance, beating down the other side and maintaining that we are right, moral, virtuous, etc. without actually saying we are.

Everything above this post is indicative of that.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 9:08:32 PM
At 12/10/2014 8:59:53 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

From my experience, it's because everyone believes they are right and that, consequently, they are superior to everyone else.

People can't seem to hold civil, productive discussions, and we end up with name-calling and intolerance, beating down the other side and maintaining that we are right, moral, virtuous, etc. without actually saying we are.

Everything above this post is indicative of that.

That's kind of hurtful. ='(