Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 9:58:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
1 Thess 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

What is prayer to you?
Is it all about talking to an invisible Father figure in the sky or something else?

Does anyone pray without ceasing?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 10:00:31 PM
http://www.jewfaq.org...

"The Hebrew word for prayer is tefilah. It is derived from the root Pe-Lamed-Lamed and the word l'hitpalel, meaning to judge

oneself. This surprising word origin provides insight into the purpose of Jewish prayer. The most important part of any Jewish prayer,

whether it be a prayer of petition, of thanksgiving, of praise of G-d, or of confession, is the introspection it provides, the moment that

we spend looking inside ourselves, seeing our role in the universe and our relationship to G-d. "
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 10:27:57 PM
At 12/10/2014 9:58:47 PM, Skyangel wrote:

What is prayer to you?
Is it all about talking to an invisible Father figure in the sky or something else?

Prayer to me is rather pointless. When I was religious I'd try to pray but then my ADHD would kick in and the next thing I knew I'd be thinking about why Coke tastes better in a glass bottle.

I never knew how to start. Dear God... nah! Father God... no. Hey God!

So, yeah. I'm not sure how someone can pray without ceasing. I'd be thinking about all kinds of distractions and I'd be lost for words the whole time.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 12:22:08 PM
What is prayer to you?

For me, prayer is above all this:

Pray like this: 'Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. Let your kingdom come. Let your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors. Bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.'
Matt. 6:9-13

I also pray and thank God for everything.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 2:10:08 PM
At 12/10/2014 10:27:57 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

What is prayer to you?

Prayer to me is rather pointless. When I was religious I'd try to pray but then my ADHD would kick in and the next thing I knew I'd be thinking about why Coke tastes better in a glass bottle.

So, yeah. I'm not sure how someone can pray without ceasing. I'd be thinking about all kinds of distractions and I'd be lost for words the whole time.

I agree with you that talking to any invisible entity is rather pointless. You might as well be talking to fairies and imagining the answers they give you. You can get distracted very easily when you are talking to the walls and ceiling and nothing is talking back to you. It is a one way conversation which is totally pointless unless you happen to learn something while listening to yourself rave on about your own hopes and dreams.

No one on the planet could talk to any real person 24 hours a day without ceasing and neither could they talk to any invisible person 24hrs a day without ceasing. Therefore logically real prayer cannot have anything to do with verbally speaking to an invisible entity. It has to be an attitude of mind and heart in which one abides/remains throughout life.

The Jewish concept of introspection and judging oneself makes a lot of sense to me. That is not about verbally talking to any invisible person. It is more like a silent "communication" with ones own conscience/mind. It happens subconsciously. You don't need to actually sit down and make a determined effort to judge yourself.
It is about living in an attitude of constantly considering our own motivations and actions and thinking about their consequences and how those consequences affect others as well as ourselves.
To keep that attitude in the back of ones mind has an affect on how we behave. If we want the best for everyone we would act in accordance with that we believe is best for all not just in accordance with what is best for us as an individual.

Judging ourselves constantly is about keeping a clear conscience. If our conscience makes us feel something is wrong, we need to consider how to make things right again. The conscience is that "inner voice" which we all "hear" regardless of whether people believe in an invisible creator God or not.
Some even call the conscience, that 'inner voice", "the voice of God" within us.
If you understand that, it is not hard to realize what some people are talking about when they talk about "hearing from God".
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 3:02:01 PM
At 12/11/2014 12:22:08 PM, 12_13 wrote:
What is prayer to you?

For me, prayer is above all this:

Pray like this: 'Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. Let your kingdom come. Let your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors. Bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.'
Matt. 6:9-13

I also pray and thank God for everything.

The interesting and ironic thing about Christians repeating the "Lords Prayer" off by heart like a parrot is that they do not realize they are doing exactly what Jesus told them NOT TO DO.

Take a look at the verses before that prayer.

Matt 6:5-8
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

"They love to pray standing in the synagogues". Christians love to pray standing or kneeling in their churches so they can see and hear each other and prove to each other how spiritual they are.

"Pray to the Father in secret"... When you pray in secret no one knows you are doing it. No one hears or sees you doing it. That is what makes it a secret.
Who or what is the Father you communicate with in secret? It is the "conscience" within you which judges you daily. It is the "maturity" ( Inner adult) within yourself which judges the "inner child". The Father/ the mature version of yourself, judges and encourages and helps the immature version of yourself to become mature and be as perfect as the "Father is perfect" It is about attaining your own highest standards by encouraging yourself to be the best you can possibly be. That does not mean you need to verbally talk to yourself. It means you need to pick yourself up by the scruff of your own neck and kick yourself in the derriere and tell yourself to clean up your own act.

" use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."
Believers use vain repetitions when they learn prayer words off by heart and keep repeating them daily or weekly. Do they also think that some invisible entity will hear them better if they talk more or talk louder or keep repeating the prayer over and over?
There is no sense in doing a lot of speaking. Pretend you are mute for a week and say absolutely nothing. Then try to pray without speaking.

"Be not ye therefore like unto them"... DO NOT pray like that. Don't be like the hypocrites who do a lot of talking to impress others or to convince themselves how spiritual they are. Don't be like the heathen who verbally speak to their idols/ gods and make petitions to them.

"for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him." Your inner adult, your own mind, knows what you want and need before you even verbalize it to anyone else.
Think about it. What is the point of asking for daily bread from an invisible supernatural being when it is obvious that all people need food? Do you think some supernatural entity does not know everyone needs daily food? Do you think a supernatural entity not want to give anyone food unless they ask every day? Do you think he even gives food to all the starving who do ask every day and still starve anyway? Is it his will for some to starve and for some to be so rich and wasteful that they throw food in the bin and then need to go to weight watchers to control their obesity?

Do your own children beg you for food daily or do they just take it for granted that they will get fed?

Do you beg anyone for food or do you go and buy your own food when you are hungry?
If you care about feeding yourself and others then make the effort to grow your own, hunt for it, go fishing, work for it. No supernatural entity is going to just hand you bread on a platter because you beg him for it daily.
The same applies to forgiveness. No supernatural entity is going to forgive anyone of anything if the people who want to be forgiven don't live in an attitude of also forgiving others.

Your own conscience ( Father) will keep condemning you for condemning others. You will never have a clear conscience as long as you hate, condemn and reject other people.

People do not need to verbally talk to themselves to talk to their own "inner adult". It all happens silently within the mind/heart. It is a personal and secret thing which noone else can hear or see. No repetitive prayers are necessary.
Prayer is an inner attitude and way of life in which one can live. It is about respecting your own inner adult and keeping your own inner child under control. It is about learning self control and balance between the wisdom (maturity) and foolishness (childishness) within ourselves.

Living in an attitude of thankfulness for our lives and what we have is a good thing but there is no need to verbally thank any invisible entity for it. The "God"(conscience, adult, maturity) within you "knows" and "hears" your attitude before you even say a word. He/it knows it even before your own mind is even aware of it. It is a subconscious thing which manifests itself through our consciousness.

Those who subconsciously hate others tend to reflect that attitude through their actions whether they are aware of their own hate or not.
The same applies to those who love others. Who we really are in our subconscious is reflected through our words and actions in many ways.

Prayer without ceasing is a way of life. It is about following the highest standards within yourself and doing your best to achieve the goals you set for yourself.
Prayer is not a religious ritual which needs to be performed to convince any entity , real or not that you are a spiritual being and want to obey some invisible entity. All we need to "obey" is our own conscience and do what is right according to that. It will soon tell us if we violate its "laws"
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 3:02:37 PM

What is prayer to you?

It's rather pointless to pray to someone who already knows what you feel like before you're born, supposedly. Plus, if you're already saved by the stuff you did to be saved, then why do you even need to pray for anything else?
You can call me Mark if you like.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 3:15:42 PM
At 12/11/2014 3:02:37 PM, debate_power wrote:

What is prayer to you?

It's rather pointless to pray to someone who already knows what you feel like before you're born, supposedly. Plus, if you're already saved by the stuff you did to be saved, then why do you even need to pray for anything else?

You don't have to. I think that the basis of Christianity, Jesus himself, said it's not necessary in the sermon on the mount. I took that to heart reading it the first time, and I think it's good advice now. The words of Jesus, that have been written, are very good advice and a nice philosophy to live by.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 3:20:13 PM
At 12/11/2014 3:15:42 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

What is prayer to you?

You don't have to. I think that the basis of Christianity, Jesus himself, said it's not necessary in the sermon on the mount. I took that to heart reading it the first time, and I think it's good advice now. The words of Jesus, that have been written, are very good advice and a nice philosophy to live by.

Christianity seems to encourage anarchism to me, if you don't disconnect the deity element from the moral teachings element. Strange, isn't it? If you take Christianity for face value, you end up with the realization that you can do whatever you want except not believe and still be saved, and if you take Christianity solely as a good example for your moral behavior, then you realize that there are things you shouldn't do, and try not to do them.
You can call me Mark if you like.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 3:24:12 PM
At 12/11/2014 3:20:13 PM, debate_power wrote:

What is prayer to you?

Christianity seems to encourage anarchism to me, if you don't disconnect the deity element from the moral teachings element. Strange, isn't it? If you take Christianity for face value, you end up with the realization that you can do whatever you want except not believe and still be saved, and if you take Christianity solely as a good example for your moral behavior, then you realize that there are things you shouldn't do, and try not to do them.

Christianity practiced properly is a beautiful philosophy.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 9:22:01 PM
At 12/11/2014 3:24:12 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

What is prayer to you?

It's a shame that most Christians are so busy trying to convert others to believe in their invisible characters that they have no time to love their enemies and actually show practical kindness to them. They are too busy condemning them to hell for not believing in invisible characters.
They preach "Love your enemy" and then they go out and condemn all who don't believe the same as they do.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 9:25:40 PM
At 12/11/2014 9:22:01 PM, Skyangel wrote:

What is prayer to you?

It's a shame that most Christians are so busy trying to convert others to believe in their invisible characters that they have no time to love their enemies and actually show practical kindness to them. They are too busy condemning them to hell for not believing in invisible characters.
They preach "Love your enemy" and then they go out and condemn all who don't believe the same as they do.

Preach it sister! They'll never get it and they'll never stop.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 10:20:33 PM
At 12/11/2014 9:25:40 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

What is prayer to you?

You gotta love them though like you love little children who can't figure out how to be nice to people who make them feel stupid.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 10:28:37 PM

What is prayer to you?

It is better, isn't it? http://i3.kym-cdn.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 10:32:31 PM
At 12/11/2014 10:20:33 PM, Skyangel wrote:

What is prayer to you?

You gotta love them though like you love little children who can't figure out how to be nice to people who make them feel stupid.

They need to put down the Bible and read Dale Carnegie who said that people feel about you the way you make them feel about themselves.

If we could all just practice making other people feel good about themselves, then we would all be lovable and we'd all feel loved. The world would be a better place.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 10:52:13 PM
At 12/11/2014 10:32:31 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

What is prayer to you?

They need to put down the Bible and read Dale Carnegie who said that people feel about you the way you make them feel about themselves.

If we could all just practice making other people feel good about themselves, then we would all be lovable and we'd all feel loved. The world would be a better place.

And how would anyone grow up and stop being stupid or bad if no one ever made them feel stupid or bad and made them feel that being stupid/bad is something to avoid?
Are you going to make your children feel good about themselves when they do something wrong or foolish?
Are you going to say that's OK and encourage them to keep doing the same foolish thing so they don't feel bad about doing it or is it necessary to make your own kids hate you at times and put up with them calling you stupid because you have made them feel stupid?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 10:58:38 PM
At 12/11/2014 10:52:13 PM, Skyangel wrote:

What is prayer to you?

And how would anyone grow up and stop being stupid or bad if no one ever made them feel stupid or bad and made them feel that being stupid/bad is something to avoid?
Are you going to make your children feel good about themselves when they do something wrong or foolish?
Are you going to say that's OK and encourage them to keep doing the same foolish thing so they don't feel bad about doing it or is it necessary to make your own kids hate you at times and put up with them calling you stupid because you have made them feel stupid?

Lol! The problem with half the people here is that they were told they were stupid, they believed it, and now they're just a self fulfilling prophesy of stooooopid. e_e

Sshhh! I don't want them to see I wrote that.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 10:59:22 PM
At 12/11/2014 10:28:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What is prayer to you?

Yes!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 11:00:06 PM
At 12/11/2014 10:59:22 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

What is prayer to you?

Yes!

It sucks that I can rarely find them though, and I don't even drink soda.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 11:06:44 PM
At 12/11/2014 11:00:06 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What is prayer to you?

Yes!

Apparently the glass bottled cokes from Mexico are the best there are. A different type of sugar is used. Pure cane maybe. We get those in the stores around here but I haven't tried them.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 11:08:20 PM
At 12/11/2014 11:06:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

What is prayer to you?

Yes!

Apparently the glass bottled cokes from Mexico are the best there are. A different type of sugar is used. Pure cane maybe. We get those in the stores around here but I haven't tried them.

Goddamn Mexicans...stealing our jobs and our coke!

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2014 11:17:16 PM
At 12/11/2014 11:08:20 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/11/2014 11:06:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

What is prayer to you?

Yes!

Goddamn Mexicans...stealing our jobs and our coke!

Well, actually it's their coke.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 3:50:31 AM
At 12/11/2014 10:58:38 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/11/2014 10:52:13 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Lol! The problem with half the people here is that they were told they were stupid, they believed it, and now they're just a self fulfilling prophesy of stooooopid. e_e

Sshhh! I don't want them to see I wrote that.

Well their religions don't do much to help their self esteem when it brainwashes them to believe they are worthless sinners who don't deserve to live and ought to suffer in hell for all eternity for not obeying some supernatural character and tells them they were born evil because the first man alive did something wrong.

Stupid people brainwash other stupid people into being more stupid than their leaders.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 4:05:07 AM

What is prayer to you?

"One of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, even as John also taught his disciples.

And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Father, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we ourselves also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And bring us not into temptation." (Luke 11: 1-4)

You needn't babble on and embarrass yourself talking about "vain repetitions." Nobody is advocating saying exactly that prayer all the time - or any of the time. The point is: you can't even say the first line of it at all.

Jesus said one could say, "Our Father who are in Heaven"

You say, "There isn't an Father in Heaven"

... so that's just the difference between you and Jesus, between error and truth.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 4:50:22 AM
At 12/12/2014 4:05:07 AM, annanicole wrote:

What is prayer to you?

"One of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, even as John also taught his disciples.

And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Father, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we ourselves also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And bring us not into temptation." (Luke 11: 1-4)

You needn't babble on and embarrass yourself talking about "vain repetitions." Nobody is advocating saying exactly that prayer all the time - or any of the time. The point is: you can't even say the first line of it at all.

Plenty of religions advocate repeating that prayer and they do it in their religious institutions weekly. Go to a Catholic church service and you will hear it as part of their repetitive prayers as well as the prayer " Hail Mary".

I can say "Our Father who art in heaven" as easily as I can say "Hail Mary" I can also say Dear Santa at the North Pole, please send me some presents for xmas and I know I will get presents under the tree which say from Santa.

Anyone can say the words Anna. Any parrot can be taught to say them.

There are plenty of "fathers" in Heaven if you believe Heaven is the place of perfect peace and rest where there is no more pain or suffering. That place is the grave Anna There is no pain or suffering in that place and all who are there are resting in perfect peace.

... so that's just the difference between you and Jesus, between error and truth.

Jesus is a personification of Truth and Life. He is a personification of a WAY of LIFE in TRUTH. The "Father" of TRUTH is TRUTH. When you abide in TRUTH you abide in the Father and also in the son who are the same TRUTH. TRUTH has only one offspring and that offspring (only begotten son) is also TRUTH.

"The Father" represents all past present and future authorities. It represents maturity and wisdom and revelation. It is not a supernatural character in the sky Anna.
Praying to the Father has nothing to do with speaking any words. Prayer is all about inner mediation with your own inner authority. He/it does not need anyone to verbalize word to "hear" and know your thoughts. You are kidding yourself if you believe some supernatural character needs to hear you say Our Father who art in heaven... etc

How do you suppose mute people would say that?

It is not about praying or talking to any character. It is all about a WAY of LIFE in TRUTH. That is a lifelong attitude one adopts and abides in 24 hours a day for the rest of ones life.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 4:56:54 AM
At 12/12/2014 4:50:22 AM, Skyangel wrote:

What is prayer to you?

Plenty of religions advocate repeating that prayer and they do it in their religious institutions weekly. Go to a Catholic church service and you will hear it as part of their repetitive prayers as well as the prayer " Hail Mary".

I can say "Our Father who art in heaven" as easily as I can say "Hail Mary" I can also say Dear Santa at the North Pole, please send me some presents for xmas and I know I will get presents under the tree which say from Santa.

The trouble is that Jesus never taught anyone to say "Hail Mary" or "Dear Santa Claus", did He? He did, however, teach men as a part of a model prayer to pray, "Our Father, who are in Heaven."

There are plenty of "fathers" in Heaven if you believe Heaven is the place of perfect peace and rest where there is no more pain or suffering. That place is the grave Anna There is no pain or suffering in that place and all who are there are resting in perfect peace.

So Jesus might just as well have said, "Our Father who is out yonder in the grave"?

Jesus is a personification of Truth and Life. He is a personification of a WAY of LIFE in TRUTH. The "Father" of TRUTH is TRUTH. When you abide in TRUTH you abide in the Father and also in the son who are the same TRUTH. TRUTH has only one offspring and that offspring (only begotten son) is also TRUTH.

Oh, boy, here come the re-definitions. Now the twit is claiming that Jesus taught His disciples to pray, "Oh, Truth who is out yonder in the grave."

Boy, that's a winner, isn't it?

Do you even think before you type stuff, or do you just re-define words as it suits you at a particular moment.

Now the Father isn't really the Father. He's just "truth". And Heaven isn't really Heaven. It's just the grave.

While the rest of us are praying "Our Father in Heaven", you are praying "Oh, truth out there in the graveyard."
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 5:50:53 AM
At 12/12/2014 4:56:54 AM, annanicole wrote:

What is prayer to you?

The trouble is that Jesus never taught anyone to say "Hail Mary" or "Dear Santa Claus", did He? He did, however, teach men as a part of a model prayer to pray, "Our Father, who are in Heaven."

If you read the context in Matthew though you would understand he never meant it to be a parroted prayer.
So why do Christians ignore what Jesus said in Matthew about not repeating prayers in a religious ritualistic way like the hypocrites do and still do it anyway?

So Jesus might just as well have said, "Our Father who is out yonder in the grave"?

Yes he might as well according to you Anna since you love twisting words to suit your own agenda in your childish immature mind. You seem obsessed with the idea of saying something to a supernatural character.

The principle of prayer according to Jewish tradition is all about introspectively judging oneself and "talking" silently to your own inner adult or inner Father or inner maturity. It is about quiet mediation which needs no words at all. it is about contemplating the teachings of the forefathers of humanity and considering how to put them into practice in reality. It is the teaching of all the forefathers which are represented by the term "our Father" You don't actually speak to any dead people. You contemplate their teachings in your heart and mind. It is like asking yourself what would Jesus do? and answering yourself in your own mind and then believjng Jesus told you what he would do. The answers are always within us. The Truth is always within us. You know perfectly well inside your own heart that any supernatural characters are all fictional and are merely personifications of something else in reality/Truth. You can deny it all you want but be honest with yourself for a change and try growing up a bit.

Eph 5:18 ...... be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
How do you sing and make melody to the Lord? By speaking to YOURSELVES with the words of TRUTH, whether you find them in psalms or hymns or any other place. You do it in your own hearts not in some religious ritual or outward act.

Oh, boy, here come the re-definitions. Now the twit is claiming that Jesus taught His disciples to pray, "Oh, Truth who is out yonder in the grave."

Boy, that's a winner, isn't it?

You are only manifesting your own ignorance and lack of understanding Anna. You are making a fool and a twit of yourself by not even trying to comprehend what I am telling you.
I am trying to explain to you that it has nothing to do with talking to dead people or supernatural people. The bible characters are merely personifications of human attitudes and life in general. Prayer is about inner mediation and contemplation which needs no words at all. It's a lifestyle and attitude which one can adopt and live in 24 hours a day for your whole life. It does not need to include any religious rituals at all.

Do you even think before you type stuff, or do you just re-define words as it suits you at a particular moment.

Now the Father isn't really the Father. He's just "truth". And Heaven isn't really Heaven. It's just the grave.

While the rest of us are praying "Our Father in Heaven", you are praying "Oh, truth out there in the graveyard."

Obviously your comprehension is more flawed than I originally thought it was.
I pray to noone Anna. I live in Truth . You don't need to pray to Truth and Life in order to live in it. All you need to do is consider it , mediate on it, think about it and speak the truth to yourself and everyone else. Be honest with yourself and others. When you ridicule others you are only making a fool of yourself Anna and proving you have no intention of even trying to understand things from their point of view. Grow up for a change.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 6:17:11 AM
At 12/12/2014 5:50:53 AM, Skyangel wrote:

What is prayer to you?

If you read the context in Matthew though you would understand he never meant it to be a parroted prayer.
So why do Christians ignore what Jesus said in Matthew about not repeating prayers in a religious ritualistic way like the hypocrites do and still do it anyway?

Yes he might as well according to you Anna since you love twisting words to suit your own agenda in your childish immature mind. You seem obsessed with the idea of saying something to a supernatural character.

I didn't have to twist any words. I depended on you to do so, then I merely substituted your definitions/synonyms - and it made no sense, of course.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 11:05:15 AM
At 12/11/2014 3:02:01 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Take a look at the verses before that prayer.

Matt 6:5-8

Good words they are, no prayer should be said hypocritically, not even the prayer that Jesus taught.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 2:10:39 PM
At 12/12/2014 6:17:11 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 12/12/2014 5:50:53 AM, Skyangel wrote:

I didn't have to twist any words. I depended on you to do so, then I merely substituted your definitions/synonyms - and it made no sense, of course.

Of course. That's what i expect from childish minds. They cannot make sense of the way an adult thinks and reasons.

If you don't want to understand the Father is not a supernatural character I can't help you understand what the term is referring to because you obviously don't want to know. You already made up your mind it is an invisible supernatural character who lives in some invisible location outside of Earth. The concept of it being anything else makes no sense to you because your mind is stuck in the rut of childish thinking.
I understand that. I was once where you are now. I grew up but growing up takes time.
You still have plenty of time to learn Anna. Just don't close your mind to new concepts.
Don't make the same mistake the Pharisees did. Their Father was the devil and they were not even aware of it as they prayed to him.