Jump to topic:

A Nihilist at Christman

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 3:52:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Celebrations are fun. I love celebrations, especially Christmas celebrations. That much is true. But why celebrate? What's the reason?

For Christians, the answer is easy, they celebrate the birth of their messiah.
For Existentialist Atheists the answer is also easy, they just celebrate the coming in of the winter holidays, to celebrate the festival itself

But for a nihilist, it makes no sense to celebrate. What purpose does it ultimately serve except for the momentary entertainment over the few days? What sense does it make to celebrate when the act of celebration is without reason?

I have reason enough to celebrate Christmas because I enjoy partaking in the festivities, but the act of 'celebrating' still makes no sense either way. It isn't a case of celebrating someone's age milestone (birthday), someone graduation, etc. There is nothing to celebrate.

Thus, I defer my philosophical implications till next year
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 4:04:48 AM
At 12/12/2014 3:52:10 AM, Envisage wrote:
Celebrations are fun. I love celebrations, especially Christmas celebrations. That much is true. But why celebrate? What's the reason?

To have fun, and it fits convienitently with everyone else's reason.

For Christians, the answer is easy, they celebrate the birth of their messiah.
For Existentialist Atheists the answer is also easy, they just celebrate the coming in of the winter holidays, to celebrate the festival itself

But for a nihilist, it makes no sense to celebrate. What purpose does it ultimately serve except for the momentary entertainment over the few days? What sense does it make to celebrate when the act of celebration is without reason?

Why can't the act of the desire to celebrate nothing be the reason? Perhaps the answer lay after the celebration. The few bashes I throw during the year, for no reason, usually have the reason presented themselves afterwards. The gathered group in agreement, that it just needed to be done. Sort of like climbing Everest.

I have reason enough to celebrate Christmas because I enjoy partaking in the festivities, but the act of 'celebrating' still makes no sense either way. It isn't a case of celebrating someone's age milestone (birthday), someone graduation, etc. There is nothing to celebrate.

365 days worth of not dying, and people still being around enough to celebrate with you. I think you might be setting the bar to high on a reason to have fun.

Thus, I defer my philosophical implications till next year
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 10:43:55 AM
At 12/12/2014 10:05:26 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
It must suck being a nihilist. No thanks.

You're getting awfully provocative/barbed recently.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 10:57:36 AM
At 12/12/2014 10:43:55 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/12/2014 10:05:26 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
It must suck being a nihilist. No thanks.

You're getting awfully provocative/barbed recently.

Hmm, perhaps you are right. Sorry.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!