Total Posts:99|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I want proof of God existing!

Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 4:29:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

I cannot prove it, but I can offer proof.

There have been many accounts by people claiming to have experienced miracles (that is, supernatural events). I know one such person, and as far as I know he is not the kind of person who would lie.
Though many of these reports are likely fabricated, it's likely that at least some of them are honest accounts from right-minded people. Some of these accounts describe things which have no natural explanation.
I hope this helped.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 4:45:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

The word God is simply a personification of existence itself .
The Hebrew tetragram YHWH means "the existing" or "that which exists".
It is referring to existence itself.
Look all around you and notice that which exists. You are looking at YHWH also referred to as God and Lord.
arnold1
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 4:55:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

Very interesting video here by Sollog showing the mathematical proof of God:

https://www.youtube.com...
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 5:23:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Cosmological Argument

Things exist.
It is possible for those things to not exist.
Whatever has the possibility of non-existence, yet exists, has been caused to exist.
Something cannot bring itself into existence since it must exist to bring itself into existence, which is illogical.
There cannot be an infinite number of causes to bring something into existence.
An infinite regression of causes ultimately has no initial cause, which means there is no cause of existence.
Since the universe exists, it must have a cause.
Therefore, there must be an uncaused cause of all things.
The uncaused cause must be God.

I have cut and pasted from carm.org
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,122
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 6:57:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Sig Change
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 7:05:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So far we have:
1. Anecdotal accounts of 'miracles' (which god?)
2. God equated to the universe
3. A mathematical proof for god (!)
4. The self-refuting cosmological argument

Not a good start, is it?
IEnglishman
Posts: 148
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:10:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

There is no "proof". If there were, that would violate freedom of the will. What there is are arguments and historical evidence that will convince reasonable men of the truth of God's existence.
Bulproof admits he's a troll http://www.debate.org... (see post 16). Do not feed.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Posts: 2,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:19:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

You are asking to for Hell. Hell proves God exists....it is His proof for people who stand in pride agasint Him denying their bloodguiltiness which cries out for disposal in the fire of Hell where sinners belong forever separate from God.

You could believe God loves you and died in your place as the Son of God sent by the Father to be the payment for your sins so God can be satisfied that justice has been executed against you and you can be pardoned since He paid your price with His own life's blood. You can be pardoned from the execution you deserve in Hell. If you will only admit you are the one who deserves to die and believe Jesus is God who died in your place and rose bodily from the grave offering you forgiveness, and ask God the Father in the name of His Son to save you from Hell, , and open your heart to God and receive Jesus Christ as the Living God your Saviour, He will come in to your heart and give you a new heart from God, make you a new creation with eternal life, Jesus Christ will be your life and you will be forgiven and heaven will be your home if you will trust God.

Saying "Prove God is real" without thanking Him for what He did to save you from Hell is asking for yourself to be cast away into Hell.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:22:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 4:29:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

I cannot prove it, but I can offer proof.

There have been many accounts by people claiming to have experienced miracles (that is, supernatural events). I know one such person, and as far as I know he is not the kind of person who would lie.
And throughout history, when people have experiences for which they lack a better explanation (or they dismiss better explanations), they have declared miracles. And yet, not a single verified miracle has ever occurred... not one.
By the way, "miracle" does not equal "God".

Though many of these reports are likely fabricated, it's likely that at least some of them are honest accounts from right-minded people. Some of these accounts describe things which have no natural explanation.
I hope this helped.
There is presently a zero likelihood that any miracle has ever occurred.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:23:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 4:45:10 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

The word God is simply a personification of existence itself .
The Hebrew tetragram YHWH means "the existing" or "that which exists".
It is referring to existence itself.
Look all around you and notice that which exists. You are looking at YHWH also referred to as God and Lord.
You don't get to redefine words, Skyangel. You're in charge of your delusions, not everyone's delusions.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
arnold1
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:23:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 7:05:27 PM, dee-em wrote:
So far we have:
1. Anecdotal accounts of 'miracles' (which god?)
2. God equated to the universe
3. A mathematical proof for god (!)
4. The self-refuting cosmological argument

Not a good start, is it?

Why would you say it is not a good start after i posted mathematical proof of intelligent design?

If you are close-minded and did not even bother to watch the video i posted then it is not a good start for you!
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:29:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 4:55:47 PM, arnold1 wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

Very interesting video here by Sollog showing the mathematical proof of God:

https://www.youtube.com...

This boils down to, "Wow! If I play with the numbers enough, I can find a few coincidences, therefore God!"

There is a very good reason that scientists offer the lowest rates of theism in all of society. And trying to claim that he's disproved chaos theory is one of the weakest statements I've yet seen. Chaos theory is confirmed, demonstrated and cross-confirmed through dozens of varied methodologies.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Thanksfornotraping
Posts: 238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:31:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.
Just gives us a minute!
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:38:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 5:23:21 PM, tabularasa wrote:
Cosmological Argument

Things exist.
It is possible for those things to not exist.
Not true. It is not possible for that which exists, to not exist. (First Law of Thermodynamics)

Whatever has the possibility of non-existence, yet exists, has been caused to exist.
Also not true. You eventually point out the necessity of an uncaused cause. This statement refutes the uncaused cause.

Something cannot bring itself into existence since it must exist to bring itself into existence, which is illogical.
There cannot be an infinite number of causes to bring something into existence.
An infinite regression of causes ultimately has no initial cause, which means there is no cause of existence.
Which is the reason for the uncaused cause which you deny in stating that whatever exists has been caused to exist. Nothing which exists, have the possibility of non-existence. (Again, The First Law of Thermodynamics)

Since the universe exists, it must have a cause.
Not true. The universe (or the components from which it formed), have likely always existed. The universe is therefore, an uncaused cause.

Therefore, there must be an uncaused cause of all things.
Which would be the universe, which we know exists, rather than any of the imaginary gods of myths and legends.

The uncaused cause must be God.
Incorrect. We can't even know that God exists, and there is NO evidence that God exists. So the uncaused cause is the base component of the universe, which has always existed, because it cannot not exist.

I have cut and pasted from carm.org
Which is the problem. You're utilizing an admittedly biased site, and attempting to reach an unbiased conclusion.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:44:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 5:23:21 PM, tabularasa wrote:

I have cut and pasted from carm.org

Do you think carm.org is interested in the truth? Or are they only interested in promoting Christianity, no matter what the truth might be?

From the Carm.Org "About" page...

- "What is the mission of CARM? The Mission of CARM is to defend and promote the Christian faith in all areas of life."

There's nothing in their mission statement about truth. So it should surprise no one that they can be found to be wheeling out the same self-refuting argument common to William Lane Craig and others of his ilk.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:49:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 8:10:27 PM, IEnglishman wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

There is no "proof". If there were, that would violate freedom of the will.
Which, according to the Bible, Jesus did on a regular basis, by doing things only God could do. But these are just stories. Unfortunately for you, they're the stories which promote the free-will idea to begin with.

What there is are arguments and historical evidence that will convince reasonable men of the truth of God's existence.
The historical evidence doesn't even support the existence of Jesus, let alone the other claims of the Bible. As for the arguments; show me a court trial which lacked arguments for each side. Show me any war where either side lacked an argument which cast them as being in the right.

Arguments are cheap, easy and present for both sides in every case of disagreement. What makes one argument stronger than the contrary argument, is the presence of confirming evidence, which you have already admitted you lack.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 8:56:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 8:19:21 PM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

You are asking to for Hell. Hell proves God exists....
Then the absence of Hell must prove God doesn't exist. Show us that Hell exists.

it is His proof for people who stand in pride agasint Him denying their bloodguiltiness which cries out for disposal in the fire of Hell where sinners belong forever separate from God.
Proof you can't present, is very poor proof. Very poor indeed. In fact, it speaks quite strongly for the contrary argument.


You could believe God loves you and died in your place as the Son of God sent by the Father to be the payment for your sins so God can be satisfied that justice has been executed against you and you can be pardoned since He paid your price with His own life's blood.
So God imposed a fine on us for being as he created us, then decided he didn't want to impose the fine. So he took the fine from his own wallet, and out of the love, caring and goodness of his heart, put the fine right back into his own wallet. And somehow, I owe him for that? If God did exist, he'd be the most illogical and confused being ever to exist - even more confused than those who insist he exists, despite the obvious case do the contrary.

You can be pardoned from the execution you deserve in Hell. If you will only admit you are the ....

WAIT!

Stop, hold it... take a breath!


Where did you bother to show us that God, Hell, Heaven or Jesus actually exist? It seems you forgot the only important part of your entire tirade.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 9:01:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 8:23:46 PM, arnold1 wrote:
At 12/12/2014 7:05:27 PM, dee-em wrote:
So far we have:
1. Anecdotal accounts of 'miracles' (which god?)
2. God equated to the universe
3. A mathematical proof for god (!)
4. The self-refuting cosmological argument

Not a good start, is it?

Why would you say it is not a good start after i posted mathematical proof of intelligent design?
Because you didn't. You posted a link to a video which claims that it offers mathematical proof of intelligent design. And it's proof fails miserably. It fails from the very first minute where it claims to have falsified chaos theory. Chaos theory is demonstrated with the falling of each and every snowflake, with the formation of diamonds, with the drifting of sand into dunes, with the cracking of mud in a dry lake bed, with the changing of the weather, and with the natural formation of a fractal coastline. Where did the video show us that those things don't exist? Where did it show us that chaos theory doesn't properly account - and even demonstrate how those examples of patterns and order arise without an intelligent agent?

If you are close-minded and did not even bother to watch the video i posted then it is not a good start for you!
Do you understand what the term "closed-minded" means? It means one who is unwilling to change their beliefs when confronted with superior evidence for an alternative belief. Theists call that "faith" and market it as a virtue.

An "open-minded" person will note that the video failed to provide what it claimed, and recognize that chaos theory has not been falsified, and accounts for that which the video attempts to attribute to a counter-evidenced intelligence.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
IEnglishman
Posts: 148
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 9:03:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 8:49:41 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/12/2014 8:10:27 PM, IEnglishman wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

There is no "proof". If there were, that would violate freedom of the will.
Which, according to the Bible, Jesus did on a regular basis, by doing things only God could do. But these are just stories. Unfortunately for you, they're the stories which promote the free-will idea to begin with.

What there is are arguments and historical evidence that will convince reasonable men of the truth of God's existence.
The historical evidence doesn't even support the existence of Jesus,

K. https://www.youtube.com....

let alone the other claims of the Bible.

Tel dan stele.

As for the arguments; show me a court trial which lacked arguments for each side. Show me any war where either side lacked an argument which cast them as being in the right.

Watch Judge Judy. Look at ww2. There, easy. Arguments exist where evidence exist. Arguments can infer evidence and draw you to convictions as surely as evidence can.

Arguments are cheap, easy and present for both sides in every case of disagreement. What makes one argument stronger than the contrary argument, is the presence of confirming evidence, which you have already admitted you lack.

"Arguments are cheap" does not make them incorrect. All arguments must present evidence to be considered by reasonable persons, I am reasonable and I believe my arguments for God to be convincing. You can look at them on my debates.
Bulproof admits he's a troll http://www.debate.org... (see post 16). Do not feed.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 9:11:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 9:03:32 PM, IEnglishman wrote:
At 12/12/2014 8:49:41 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/12/2014 8:10:27 PM, IEnglishman wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

There is no "proof". If there were, that would violate freedom of the will.
Which, according to the Bible, Jesus did on a regular basis, by doing things only God could do. But these are just stories. Unfortunately for you, they're the stories which promote the free-will idea to begin with.

What there is are arguments and historical evidence that will convince reasonable men of the truth of God's existence.
The historical evidence doesn't even support the existence of Jesus,

K. https://www.youtube.com....

let alone the other claims of the Bible.

Tel dan stele.
If I show you references to New York City in a Spiderman comic, is that evidence that Spiderman is real?


As for the arguments; show me a court trial which lacked arguments for each side. Show me any war where either side lacked an argument which cast them as being in the right.

Watch Judge Judy. Look at ww2. There, easy. Arguments exist where evidence exist. Arguments can infer evidence and draw you to convictions as surely as evidence can.
Do you think "Judge Judy" is a real court run by standard judicial procedure? Every person going into that courtroom believes they are correct, and presents their best attempt at an argument as to why they are correct. That Judge Judy slaps them down before they complete their first sentence doesn't mean they don't have an argument. It just means that their argument is ridiculous (just as are most of the arguments for theism).

Arguments are cheap, easy and present for both sides in every case of disagreement. What makes one argument stronger than the contrary argument, is the presence of confirming evidence, which you have already admitted you lack.

"Arguments are cheap" does not make them incorrect. All arguments must present evidence to be considered by reasonable persons, I am reasonable and I believe my arguments for God to be convincing. You can look at them on my debates.

Once again; a compelling argument is separated from a poor argument by the fact that the compelling argument (if properly formed), has evidence to support it. You have no evidence to support your arguments. Even 4-year old children can argue. It doesn't make them right.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Idealist
Posts: 2,520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 9:39:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

Some things can only be found from within yourself. The will to live, for example. Any medical professional knows that the greatest key to surviving trauma is the will to survive, and that comes from inside of you. Personally I think that in many ways God is like a Rorschach test. Some people see God in the pattern of the universe while others don't. Once you see him the first time it's hard not to see him again.
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 9:46:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 8:23:46 PM, arnold1 wrote:
At 12/12/2014 7:05:27 PM, dee-em wrote:
So far we have:
1. Anecdotal accounts of 'miracles' (which god?)
2. God equated to the universe
3. A mathematical proof for god (!)
4. The self-refuting cosmological argument

Not a good start, is it?

Why would you say it is not a good start after i posted mathematical proof of intelligent design?

If you are close-minded and did not even bother to watch the video i posted then it is not a good start for you!

Yes, of course, it's proof. And when you have 'proof' of something, you don't publish in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. No, you put it on youtube! Of course you do. Lol.
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 9:52:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 8:10:27 PM, IEnglishman wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

There is no "proof". If there were, that would violate freedom of the will. What there is are arguments and historical evidence that will convince reasonable men of the truth of God's existence.

Let me fix it for you:

There is no "proof". If there were, that would somehow violate freedom of the will from the entity which you are trying to prove. What there is are weak arguments and hearsay evidence that will convince gullible men of the truth of God's existence.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 9:57:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

I can show Biblical passages for the following statements if required, but most people don't want to be bothered with them, so until proof is required, I'll go on without them.

God says that we can only sense Him through His Spirit, and not by anything man can do.

He also says that he cannot lie, or He would not be God.

Therefore, if anyone could actually prove God exists by way of secular means, that would make God a liar, meaning that there is no God.

I can't give you proof. No one can.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 10:15:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 8:22:06 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/12/2014 4:29:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

I cannot prove it, but I can offer proof.

There have been many accounts by people claiming to have experienced miracles (that is, supernatural events). I know one such person, and as far as I know he is not the kind of person who would lie.
And throughout history, when people have experiences for which they lack a better explanation (or they dismiss better explanations), they have declared miracles. And yet, not a single verified miracle has ever occurred... not one.
By the way, "miracle" does not equal "God".

Wouldn't be faith if it were 100% without a doubt a miracle for all the world to see, would it?
Anyway, about people not having knowledge of possible explanations, we live in 2014. If certain miraculous events had natural explanations, those explanations would almost certainly be known. As for "dismissing better explanations", sometimes the "better explanation" is not a good enough explanation.

Though many of these reports are likely fabricated, it's likely that at least some of them are honest accounts from right-minded people. Some of these accounts describe things which have no natural explanation.
I hope this helped.
There is presently a zero likelihood that any miracle has ever occurred.

kfc
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 10:15:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 9:52:57 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 12/12/2014 8:10:27 PM, IEnglishman wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

There is no "proof". If there were, that would violate freedom of the will. What there is are arguments and historical evidence that will convince reasonable men of the truth of God's existence.

Let me fix it for you:

There is no "proof". If there were, that would somehow violate freedom of the will from the entity which you are trying to prove. What there is are weak arguments and hearsay evidence that will convince gullible men of the truth of God's existence.

If you only watched the video up to the point where it clearly became a comedy act, you should watch the rest. It's hilarious! Someone wasted a great deal of time trying to find some coincidental numbers, like the geometric properties of a cube pointing to the "exact circumference of the Earth". It almost makes you sad to tell them that Earth doesn't have an "exact circumference". It firstly depends upon where you measure it, it changes slightly as the moon moves further away, and Earth takes on tons of extra mass each and every day, in the form of asteroids and comets. But hey, they found a rough numerical correlation, so surely God must exist.

And then it talks about how four out of five of the planets in our solar system which can be seen with the naked eye, are "ratio aligned" to Earth. Then it explains that if you measure the circumference of those planets, and compare it to Earth, you arrive at a ratio. And if you check the orbital circumference of that same planet, and compare it to the circumference of Earth's orbit, you find the VERY SAME RATIO! Wow!

And of course, it's not all of the planets. It's only the ones visible to the naked eye. And it's not ALL of the planets visible to the naked eye. It's just four out of the five. And as the explanation drones on, it turns out that where the orbital distance didn't work, they skipped to the orbital period to find a match. In other words, they very diligently sought correlations, and when they didn't find them using one method, they switched to another method. And when the correlation only occurred 4 out of 5 times... well, so what it's still 4 out of 5... THEREFORE... GOD!

Great stuff.

It just HAS to be God because that's what they want it to be. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the circumference of a planet gives you a rough idea of its mass, and it orbits the sun at a distance dictated by gravity, or that it formed in an accretion disk as did all of the other planets in our solar system, and the orbital plane is based on the mass each planet attained as it swept out the debris in that accretion disk.

It COULDN'T be any of the 10 or 12 various rational causes. It HAS to be GOD!

It even claims that it disproves chaos theory, and then turns around and suggest that chaos theory claims the universe is ruled by chaos. So the person responsible doesn't even know what chaos theory is, or what it states, but "By Golly, he's disproved it!".
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 10:19:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 7:05:27 PM, dee-em wrote:
So far we have:
1. Anecdotal accounts of 'miracles' (which god?)

In this discussion the question is not which God, but rather just God.

2. God equated to the universe
3. A mathematical proof for god (!)
4. The self-refuting cosmological argument

Not a good start, is it?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
dee-em
Posts: 6,473
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 10:55:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 10:15:45 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/12/2014 9:52:57 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 12/12/2014 8:10:27 PM, IEnglishman wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

There is no "proof". If there were, that would violate freedom of the will. What there is are arguments and historical evidence that will convince reasonable men of the truth of God's existence.

Let me fix it for you:

There is no "proof". If there were, that would somehow violate freedom of the will from the entity which you are trying to prove. What there is are weak arguments and hearsay evidence that will convince gullible men of the truth of God's existence.

If you only watched the video up to the point where it clearly became a comedy act, you should watch the rest. It's hilarious! Someone wasted a great deal of time trying to find some coincidental numbers, like the geometric properties of a cube pointing to the "exact circumference of the Earth". It almost makes you sad to tell them that Earth doesn't have an "exact circumference". It firstly depends upon where you measure it, it changes slightly as the moon moves further away, and Earth takes on tons of extra mass each and every day, in the form of asteroids and comets. But hey, they found a rough numerical correlation, so surely God must exist.

And then it talks about how four out of five of the planets in our solar system which can be seen with the naked eye, are "ratio aligned" to Earth. Then it explains that if you measure the circumference of those planets, and compare it to Earth, you arrive at a ratio. And if you check the orbital circumference of that same planet, and compare it to the circumference of Earth's orbit, you find the VERY SAME RATIO! Wow!

And of course, it's not all of the planets. It's only the ones visible to the naked eye. And it's not ALL of the planets visible to the naked eye. It's just four out of the five. And as the explanation drones on, it turns out that where the orbital distance didn't work, they skipped to the orbital period to find a match. In other words, they very diligently sought correlations, and when they didn't find them using one method, they switched to another method. And when the correlation only occurred 4 out of 5 times... well, so what it's still 4 out of 5... THEREFORE... GOD!

Great stuff.

It just HAS to be God because that's what they want it to be. It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the circumference of a planet gives you a rough idea of its mass, and it orbits the sun at a distance dictated by gravity, or that it formed in an accretion disk as did all of the other planets in our solar system, and the orbital plane is based on the mass each planet attained as it swept out the debris in that accretion disk.

It COULDN'T be any of the 10 or 12 various rational causes. It HAS to be GOD!

It even claims that it disproves chaos theory, and then turns around and suggest that chaos theory claims the universe is ruled by chaos. So the person responsible doesn't even know what chaos theory is, or what it states, but "By Golly, he's disproved it!".

No, I didn't watch it because I didn't want to waste my time. (Argument by youtube!). I'm glad I didn't although it sounds like it would have provided some comedy relief with the pseudo-astronomy. Proof of god? No, proof of wilful ignorance.
ChristianPunk
Posts: 1,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2014 10:57:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/12/2014 4:29:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 12/12/2014 2:00:28 PM, PapaNolan wrote:
Show an Agnostic teenager that he exists.

I cannot prove it, but I can offer proof.

There have been many accounts by people claiming to have experienced miracles (that is, supernatural events). I know one such person, and as far as I know he is not the kind of person who would lie.
Though many of these reports are likely fabricated, it's likely that at least some of them are honest accounts from right-minded people. Some of these accounts describe things which have no natural explanation.
I hope this helped.

This is more of a faith issue and not a scientific proof evidence. If anything, this could be proof of something involving the brain, which I refuse to accept as so I think neither answers are possible. I agree that my spiritual experience revealed it to me, but not everybody is going to have the same type of experience, so that alone is not proof.