Jump to topic:

Adam's 1st wife - The Demon Lilith

jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 6:21:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Question, does anyone, especially someone who is welled versed in the Jewish faith, have any knowledge regarding Lilith? What purpose does she serve in Biblical mythology? And what does she tell us about the story of Adam and Eve?

This is what I know and I'd like to find out if this information is accurate.

Lilith originated in Jewish tradition as a female demon, enemy of infants, and bride of Sammael (Satan). She existed before Eve and had marital relations with Adam. Thus, regarded as his 1st wife. Apparently she bore Adam 100 children every day. (Ref- Rabbi Eliezer "The Book of Adam and Eve").

A lot is written about her in the Zohar. Something I know very little about. She is described as a "hot fiery female" who at first cohabited with men, but when Eve was created she flew to the cities of the sea coast and she remained there trying to ensnare mankind. Lilith is called "ardat lili" in Mesopotamian demonology. She is a female demonic spirit.

So, she is known as the 1st temptress, Adam's demon wife and according to lore, the mother of Cain. She is said to have 17 names that were revealed to the prophet Elijah: Abeko, Abito, Amizo, Batna, Eilo, Ita, Izorpo, Kali, Kea, Kokos, Lilith, Odam, Partasah, Patrota, Podo, Satrina, and Talto.

I'd really like to know how this fits in with the story of creation.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 6:53:17 PM
It appears you've just given us more information about Lillith than most of us ever knew.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 7:32:25 PM
At 12/13/2014 6:53:17 PM, Beastt wrote:
It appears you've just given us more information about Lillith than most of us ever knew.

She was with Adam before Eve and now she's Satan's wife. Possibly Cain's mother. How can no one else be curious how this woman (or demon) even fits in with the old testament. Obviously she a real thing (well on fairy tale land anyway), because there is a ton of information about her in the Zohar. I'm just curious.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 7:36:47 PM
At 12/13/2014 7:35:06 PM, Beastt wrote:
Fear

You think? Maybe so.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 10:10:09 PM
So I guess there's no information anyone can share regarding Adam and his fiery hot first wife, Lilith?

It's a shame because I find it contradictory and I'd like to understand how it can even make sense.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 10:25:15 PM
At 12/13/2014 10:10:09 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
So I guess there's no information anyone can share regarding Adam and his fiery hot first wife, Lilith?

It's a shame because I find it contradictory and I'd like to understand how it can even make sense.

Religion?
Sense?

Incompatible.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 10:38:13 PM
At 12/13/2014 10:25:15 PM, Beastt wrote:

Religion?
Sense?

Incompatible.

True. -.-
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 10:43:56 PM
Is this the bible or days of our lives? :)
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 10:47:00 PM

This goes back to the argument that there are 2 creation myths in the Bible. in the first "elohim" section man and woman are made together. later in the "yahweh" section woman is made from the bone of man.

The folklore is that Lilith was the first woman made. She had a disagreement with Adam on who would be on top during sex. She felt she was equal with Adam being made at the same time.

She is said to have been filled with fury and many genealogies of evil begin with her. She is like the mother of monsters. That to fulfill her lust she slept with demons and animals alike. the offspring of which were monsters.

Here is some text of her story.

http://www.sacred-texts.com...

i do not think anyone takes this as theology. but Jewish folklore.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:30:58 PM
Lilith was.... Hm. How to put this with out requiring cites.

Okay, so, God loved His Angels, but post Lucifer, making an Angel that was of free will was a might dangerous prospect. Lucifer had both free will, and knowledge of creation, and POWER. That won't stand. If you see the master plan, and are immortal, you have means to misgivings, especially if you are immortal like Lucifer.

Okay, step two. Lets make MORTAL creature, one that knows of creation, the rebellion, and knows of good and evil. Is it not a surprise that her allegiances might switch? God created a thing that would worship Him based on the events as is. As soon as God showed His true colors, Lilith decided that this Dude was not the dude for her. Her and her progeny (ignored for obvious reasons) dwell outside Eden, Adam and Eve, being God's favored had a book about them.

Sure, its all subject to discussion, but Lilith, by various folklore was the first mortal creation vested with the knowledge of good and evil. Basically, she realized the experiment for what it was, and excused herself. There is a sad story behind this understanding, PM me if you feel you want details of my opinion.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:33:00 PM

Old. Testament. Incarnate.

All this really means is some stories made the cut while others didn't.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:38:30 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:33:00 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

These were tales told with facts from the torah as starters. the stories are not considered scripture or "God breathed" because they didn't come from a prophet. They were a way of explaining what was evident in the scripture. Often times expressing the originating cultures thoughts and feelings.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:41:59 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:38:30 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

These were tales told with facts from the torah as starters. the stories are not considered scripture or "God breathed" because they didn't come from a prophet. They were a way of explaining what was evident in the scripture. Often times expressing the originating cultures thoughts and feelings.

I fail to see as to why one version of a story became God Breathed, but another didn't. I was under the impression that prophets divined the FUTURE.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:50:54 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:41:59 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I fail to see as to why one version of a story became God Breathed, but another didn't. I was under the impression that prophets divined the FUTURE.

most of these stories can be traced back to Rabbinical writings in which the rabbis are discussing what was written in scripture.

If a prophet divined the future correctly then they would be considered "a prophet of God" not all the prophets wrote or spoke anything for the bible. But if this writing did happen then it became apart of scripture.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:52:35 PM

midrash, most these stories come from midrashs.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:53:47 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:50:54 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

most of these stories can be traced back to Rabbinical writings in which the rabbis are discussing what was written in scripture.

If a prophet divined the future correctly then they would be considered "a prophet of God" not all the prophets wrote or spoke anything for the bible. But if this writing did happen then it became apart of scripture.

So are you saying that the Old Testament is not "God's word"?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:54:58 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:53:47 PM, Beastt wrote:

How do you figure I said that?

The Talmud is said to come from Moses, and Moses is a prophet.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 3:11:55 AM

So! Once again, not the word of god.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 3:15:31 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:54:58 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

How else am I to interpret; "the stories are not considered scripture or "God breathed" because they didn't come from a prophet."?

It would seem that you're a bit undecided, or you've left me a bit confused in regard to what you're trying to say.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 11:46:02 AM
At 12/13/2014 6:21:15 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Question, does anyone, especially someone who is welled versed in the Jewish faith, have any knowledge regarding Lilith? What purpose does she serve in Biblical mythology? And what does she tell us about the story of Adam and Eve?

Lilith originated in Jewish tradition as a female demon, enemy of infants, and bride of Sammael (Satan). She existed before Eve and had marital relations with Adam. Thus, regarded as his 1st wife. Apparently she bore Adam 100 children every day. (Ref- Rabbi Eliezer "The Book of Adam and Eve").

A lot is written about her in the Zohar. Something I know very little about. She is described as a "hot fiery female" who at first cohabited with men, but when Eve was created she flew to the cities of the sea coast and she remained there trying to ensnare mankind. Lilith is called "ardat lili" in Mesopotamian demonology. She is a female demonic spirit.

So, she is known as the 1st temptress, Adam's demon wife and according to lore, the mother of Cain. She is said to have 17 names that were revealed to the prophet Elijah: Abeko, Abito, Amizo, Batna, Eilo, Ita, Izorpo, Kali, Kea, Kokos, Lilith, Odam, Partasah, Patrota, Podo, Satrina, and Talto.

You said it in one really. She is part of Jewish Mythology, and not a biblical character at all. Completely false.

Since she never existed, there is nothing to say about her.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 11:50:50 AM
At 12/14/2014 11:46:02 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 12/13/2014 6:21:15 PM, jodybirdy wrote:

You said it in one really. She is part of Jewish Mythology, and not a biblical character at all. Completely false.

Since she never existed, there is nothing to say about her.

She is part of the books omitted from the old testament. I'm not sure why that would make it a myth to you. What makes you think her story has less credence than the rest of the old books? If you can believe in Adam and Eve, why not her? She is part of Adams story.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 12:20:38 PM
At 12/14/2014 3:15:31 AM, Beastt wrote:

How else am I to interpret; "the stories are not considered scripture or "God breathed" because they didn't come from a prophet."?

It would seem that you're a bit undecided, or you've left me a bit confused in regard to what you're trying to say.

There is scripture which is God breathed. or God inspired. The bible has historical accounts. These need not be passed down by a prophet but only a witness. The bible has Prophetic accounts, these pass down by Prophets. and the Bible has writings which are passed down by inspired men.

The story of Lilith and many other tales from Jewish folklore can be traced back to Midrashs. These midrash are rabbinical back story , discussion on what the Talmud says. They are also a way of expanding the scripture to peel back the layers of understanding images put forth by scripture.

But these folktales are a way of explaining scripture to fit in the way mankind sees the world. They are not exploring into the word, but explanatory about the word. Which is the domain of folktale and old wifes tales.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 7:49:02 PM
At 12/14/2014 12:20:38 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

There is scripture which is God breathed. or God inspired.
No. There are writings which claim they are breathed/inspired by God, and those which are claimed, not by the authors, to be inspired by God. Some of them are in the Bible, some aren't. There were no exclusive, or even credible standards applied to including/excluding writings for the canon.

The bible has historical accounts.
And many historical fallacies.

These need not be passed down by a prophet but only a witness.
Who were some of these witnesses?

The bible has Prophetic accounts, these pass down by Prophets. and the Bible has writings which are passed down by inspired men.
The Bible contains CLAIMS of prophecy, just as almost every other religious book.

The story of Lilith and many other tales from Jewish folklore can be traced back to Midrashs. These midrash are rabbinical back story , discussion on what the Talmud says. They are also a way of expanding the scripture to peel back the layers of understanding images put forth by scripture.
Would you suggest those who rejected these stories had any first-hand knowledge of whether or not they were true? It sounds like Christianity simply decided which parts of the Jewish story they liked, and they rejected the rest.

But these folktales are a way of explaining scripture to fit in the way mankind sees the world. They are not exploring into the word, but explanatory about the word. Which is the domain of folktale and old wifes tales.
As are the gospels of the Bible.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 8:09:27 PM
At 12/14/2014 7:49:02 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/14/2014 12:20:38 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

There is scripture which is God breathed. or God inspired.
No. There are writings which claim they are breathed/inspired by God, and those which are claimed, not by the authors, to be inspired by God. Some of them are in the Bible, some aren't. There were no exclusive, or even credible standards applied to including/excluding writings for the canon.

The bible has historical accounts.
And many historical fallacies.

These need not be passed down by a prophet but only a witness.
Who were some of these witnesses?

The bible has Prophetic accounts, these pass down by Prophets. and the Bible has writings which are passed down by inspired men.
The Bible contains CLAIMS of prophecy, just as almost every other religious book.

Would you suggest those who rejected these stories had any first-hand knowledge of whether or not they were true? It sounds like Christianity simply decided which parts of the Jewish story they liked, and they rejected the rest.

As are the gospels of the Bible.

Oh my gosh you have blown my mind with your incessant prattle. From this moment on I will throw the baby out with the bath water. I will deny all until the great goddess Science affirms it so with evidence based interpretive models or theoretical papers.

Thank you Beastt... Here i was answering a question of Jewish mysticism from the perspective of Jewish categorization of Jewish writing and I have been thwarted by your genius.