Jump to topic:

Modern day saints/prophets

Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:31:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As far as I can tell, the differences between people today who claim that they're prophets or saints, and those who wrote books found in the Bible are...

- They were born in time to have their writings included
-
-
-

... and that's the difference.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:34:06 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:31:31 PM, Beastt wrote:
As far as I can tell, the differences between people today who claim that they're prophets or saints, and those who wrote books found in the Bible are...

-
-
-

The Bible says test everything. The litmus test of a prophet back in the day was they would prophesy about local and soon events in enough detail to be not likely by chance. Then they would prophesy about long term events.

Prophets today just seem to express their view and show no evidence of them being inspired by God.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2014 11:42:59 PM
At 12/13/2014 11:34:06 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

-
-
-

The Bible says test everything. The litmus test of a prophet back in the day was they would prophesy about local and soon events in enough detail to be not likely by chance. Then they would prophesy about long term events.

Prophets today just seem to express their view and show no evidence of them being inspired by God.

As the Bible shows, anyone can pass the test for short-term events. All one need do is write about a soon-to-be-expected calamity or disaster, and the faithful readers will match it to whatever they wish. After all, the Bible lists "great tribulation", "lightning", "false prophets" as signs of the coming of the "son of Man". And we see it nearly every day in these threads. People mistake the increased media coverage of disasters as an increase in the frequency of the disasters themselves, and urge us to see these as fulfilled prophecy.

It's not exactly a difficult qualification to meet.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 12:03:30 AM
At 12/13/2014 11:42:59 PM, Beastt wrote:

-
-
-

As the Bible shows, anyone can pass the test for short-term events. All one need do is write about a soon-to-be-expected calamity or disaster, and the faithful readers will match it to whatever they wish. After all, the Bible lists "great tribulation", "lightning", "false prophets" as signs of the coming of the "son of Man". And we see it nearly every day in these threads. People mistake the increased media coverage of disasters as an increase in the frequency of the disasters themselves, and urge us to see these as fulfilled prophecy.

That's why there will be an increase of false prophets. Even the ones tested by Biblical standards will be improperly weighed and receive false positives.

But it is not just predict the future. Their sayings have to be consistent.

But this is a discussion better argued by a passionate theist. I'm just saying i think your being overly general and would need to do a case by case study of some of the prophets in old scripture as compared to any "false" prophets today.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 12:09:04 AM
At 12/14/2014 12:03:30 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

-
-
-

That's why there will be an increase of false prophets. Even the ones tested by Biblical standards will be improperly weighed and receive false positives.
No one has shown that any real prophets actually exist, or have ever existed.

No they don't. The Bible isn't the least bit consistent. The followers simply have to be willing to make excuses for the inconsistencies.

But this is a discussion better argued by a passionate theist. I'm just saying i think your being overly general and would need to do a case by case study of some of the prophets in old scripture as compared to any "false" prophets today.
You don't consider yourself to be a passionate theist? And I think you'd be challenged to try to present any great difference between the writings of supposed prophets in the Bible, and the claims of people like Koresh, Applewhite and BoG, today.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 12:17:55 AM
At 12/14/2014 12:09:04 AM, Beastt wrote:

-
-
-

No they don't. The Bible isn't the least bit consistent. The followers simply have to be willing to make excuses for the inconsistencies.

You don't consider yourself to be a passionate theist? And I think you'd be challenged to try to present any great difference between the writings of supposed prophets in the Bible, and the claims of people like Koresh, Applewhite and BoG, today.

I'm just not that convinced by prophecy and future seeing. I think that is a realm of God and has to be revealed to a human mind. But I'm just not convinced that that kind of revelation exists or has existed. And because of it's very nature i do not think it can be accurately studied by science.

I see some great minds be able to predict a lot of things. So I'm just not passionate for arguing fortune telling.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 12:27:15 AM
Modern day false prophets just quote the old prophets in the bible and put their own twist on the interpretations of the bible prophecies.

"Great tribulation", "lightning", "false prophets" are always on Earth.
The "Son of man" refers to the sons of mankind as a corporate body. It is referring to future generations as a whole.
Anything you see on Earth today can be one of the signs that mankind ( the son of man) in future will also endure the same kind of things since the cycles of nature repeat themselves.
If you want to know why, just ask Mother Nature why she does that.

Anyone who predicts a future event which does not come to pass is a false prophet and not to be trusted with anything else they say either.

A list of failed predictions >>>
http://www.religioustolerance.org...

In spite of the religious leaders of the organizations mentioned on the above site being false prophets the religions continue to preach the doctrines those leaders and false prophets taught.
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 1:43:19 AM

-
-
-

True.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 1:50:57 AM
At 12/14/2014 12:17:55 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/14/2014 12:09:04 AM, Beastt wrote:

-
-
-

I'm just not that convinced by prophecy and future seeing. I think that is a realm of God and has to be revealed to a human mind.
Of course, you ignore that nearly every religious book has as much claim to prophecy as the Bible.

But I'm just not convinced that that kind of revelation exists or has existed. And because of it's very nature i do not think it can be accurately studied by science.
Most of it can be logically falsified.

I see some great minds be able to predict a lot of things. So I'm just not passionate for arguing fortune telling.
So then we have a great many false prophets, and no real prophets, despite the claims of true prophets in the Bible.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 5:39:54 AM

-
-
-

LMAO @ "do a case by case study of some of the prophets in old scripture". Good luck on that one!

It's a lot easier to just blurt out "no one has shown that any real prophets actually exist, or have ever existed", and move on without any real study at all. Or, along the same lines, "we have a great many false prophets, and no real prophets, despite the claims of true prophets in the Bible." You're not gonna get ONE study of any supposed prophet of the Bible, much less a case-by-case study.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."