Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Does power equal objectivity?

Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,965
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 3:42:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Power doesn't equal objectivity. Objectivity concerns whether something is indefinitely true. If an arbiter of human purpose, such as God, gave human beings a purpose, that purpose is indefinitely true for all humans.

If somebody was living under authoritarian rule, the objectivity of whatever they establish is not indefinitely true. It would be conditionally true.

If humans were given objective purpose by God, then from the human perspective, this purpose is unconditionally true.
frbnsn
Posts: 353
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 3:48:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

According to me, objectivity is an ideal which has been decreed by god and mankind must effort to reach it.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 7:26:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/14/2014 3:42:09 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Power doesn't equal objectivity. Objectivity concerns whether something is indefinitely true. If an arbiter of human purpose, such as God, gave human beings a purpose, that purpose is indefinitely true for all humans.
So this is just one more label you slap onto God in order to make him what you need him to be, in order to apply him to your other arguments in the manner needed to fulfill your initial premises. This is no different than two children playing one-upmanship with the qualities they bestow upon their G.I. Joe dolls in an unending competition...

... "My G.I. Joe can lift a truck."
"Oh yeah! My G.I. Joe can pick up a skyscraper!"
"Well mine can lift a mountain!"
"Mine can pick up an entire range of mountains, and he can fly."
"My G.I. Joe can fly into space and can fly to the moon and back in one minute!"
"Well, my G.I. Joe can fly faster than the speed of light, and he can be invisible too!"


You have no evidence for ANY of the qualities you claim for your God, just as you have no evidence that he exists. Yet you continually bestow whatever qualities you need of him, in order to fulfill your argument that he exists. And nothing about this seems the least bit childish or circular to you?

If somebody was living under authoritarian rule, the objectivity of whatever they establish is not indefinitely true. It would be conditionally true.
You can't show that ANYTHING is indefinitely true, Ben. You simply assert it devoid of evidence or logic.

If humans were given objective purpose by God, then from the human perspective, this purpose is unconditionally true.
If... if.. "IF"... Ben. it's time to try to show that any of your "ifs" are true.

If we look to the God of the Bible, the God of the Qur'an, the "Creator" (god) of Oahspe, we find that NONE of them are in any way objective. They're all vastly emotional, flippant, and contradictory. So to claim God can be objective about anything is to ignore the very concepts from which the idea of god arose.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2014 7:29:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/14/2014 3:48:51 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

According to me, objectivity is an ideal which has been decreed by god and mankind must effort to reach it.

Are you speaking of the Christian God... the God of the Bible? If so, please offer scripture which shows that a God who changes his mind, changes his rules, and then tries to circumvent his rules is a standard of objectivity. Or are you another who just makes God whatever you need him to be for the moment?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
ethang5
Posts: 4,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:50:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/14/2014 7:29:16 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/14/2014 3:48:51 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

According to me, objectivity is an ideal which has been decreed by god and mankind must effort to reach it.

Are you speaking of the Christian God... the God of the Bible? If so, please offer scripture which shows that a God who changes his mind, changes his rules, and then tries to circumvent his rules is a standard of objectivity. Or are you another who just makes God whatever you need him to be for the moment?

What is the definition of "objective" as you use it in this thread?
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:37:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 10:50:55 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 12/14/2014 7:29:16 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/14/2014 3:48:51 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

According to me, objectivity is an ideal which has been decreed by god and mankind must effort to reach it.

Are you speaking of the Christian God... the God of the Bible? If so, please offer scripture which shows that a God who changes his mind, changes his rules, and then tries to circumvent his rules is a standard of objectivity. Or are you another who just makes God whatever you need him to be for the moment?

What is the definition of "objective" as you use it in this thread?

The same as anywhere else. I don't need to try to redefine words to make my case the way many theists seem to do.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 1:50:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

Everything is subjective. Even subjectivity.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 2:57:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 1:50:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

Everything is subjective. Even subjectivity.

No doubt.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dee-em
Posts: 6,469
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 4:37:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 1:50:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

Everything is subjective. Even subjectivity.

*Puts Ben Shapiro hat on*
That sounds like an absolute.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:03:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 4:37:24 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 12/15/2014 1:50:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

Everything is subjective. Even subjectivity.

*Puts Ben Shapiro hat on*
That sounds like an absolute.

Only Siths deal in absolutes!
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
MEK
Posts: 253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:23:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

The idea of objective truth or morality is a good topic for discussion. This was fairly heavily debated by Sam Harris and William L Craig a few years ago. Craig, a fearless and very accomplished debater for the Christian apologists makes a pretty bold presupposition that there can be no moral truths without a moral law giver " therefore God.
I do not think we can simply assume this "cause and effect" relationship just as we cannot assume that because there is life, there must be a life form to give life (another religious contention). That we do not have all the answers to some of these difficult questions doesn"t mean they do not exist or that we will not discover them. Only through continued scientific research and inquiry can we have any hope of throwing some light on some of the shadows of our existence. We most certainly will not get there by claiming the "God of the gaps" theological perspective.
In my humble opinion, I believe morality, as it applies to our species, is a product of evolution. We would not have come so far without the basic understanding that forming solidarity with one another is the key to survival and having a good moral compass is just one part of this process.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:42:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 1:50:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

Everything is subjective. Even subjectivity.
If true, that's an objective assertion.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:49:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 8:42:13 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/15/2014 1:50:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

Everything is subjective. Even subjectivity.
If true, that's an objective assertion.

It can't be an objective assertion if, by that assertion, the assertion itself is subjective.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:51:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 8:49:50 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/15/2014 8:42:13 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/15/2014 1:50:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

Everything is subjective. Even subjectivity.
If true, that's an objective assertion.

It can't be an objective assertion if, by that assertion, the assertion itself is subjective.

Then you do get my point.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:52:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 8:51:11 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/15/2014 8:49:50 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/15/2014 8:42:13 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/15/2014 1:50:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

Everything is subjective. Even subjectivity.
If true, that's an objective assertion.

It can't be an objective assertion if, by that assertion, the assertion itself is subjective.

Then you do get my point.

I guess...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
james14
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:59:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

For God to have created time he must be outside of time. A being outside of time would possess no ability to change from our standpoint at least. In short, God cannot change.
Maybe I'm a genius; maybe not.

||||?||||
||>|||||<|
|<||>||?|||
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:06:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 8:59:17 PM, james14 wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

For God to have created time he must be outside of time. A being outside of time would possess no ability to change from our standpoint at least. In short, God cannot change.

And yet the Bible has him going from the most evil and vindictive tyrannical monster in all of fiction to a pure pacifist who declares that we should love our enemies. So... "somthin' don't hunt!"
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
james14
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:11:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:06:08 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/15/2014 8:59:17 PM, james14 wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

For God to have created time he must be outside of time. A being outside of time would possess no ability to change from our standpoint at least. In short, God cannot change.

And yet the Bible has him going from the most evil and vindictive tyrannical monster in all of fiction to a pure pacifist who declares that we should love our enemies. So... "somthin' don't hunt!"

But, the Bible aside, do you think I'm right? Is that logical enough?
Maybe I'm a genius; maybe not.

||||?||||
||>|||||<|
|<||>||?|||
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:18:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:11:09 PM, james14 wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:06:08 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/15/2014 8:59:17 PM, james14 wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

For God to have created time he must be outside of time. A being outside of time would possess no ability to change from our standpoint at least. In short, God cannot change.

And yet the Bible has him going from the most evil and vindictive tyrannical monster in all of fiction to a pure pacifist who declares that we should love our enemies. So... "somthin' don't hunt!"

But, the Bible aside, do you think I'm right? Is that logical enough?

No, it's most certainly not logical. If you don't have time, then you can't have a sequence of events. And without a sequence of events, you can't have anything causing anything else. Time may be able to change in nature, but I would personally think it's not possible for time not to exist. That said, time could certainly exist in a form we wouldn't recognize.

I think it would be more logical to suggest time in 2 dimensions, allowing free movement through it. But since there is no evidence for God, it's just as logical to suggest fairies.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
bulproof
Posts: 25,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:23:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:11:09 PM, james14 wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:06:08 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/15/2014 8:59:17 PM, james14 wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

For God to have created time he must be outside of time. A being outside of time would possess no ability to change from our standpoint at least. In short, God cannot change.

And yet the Bible has him going from the most evil and vindictive tyrannical monster in all of fiction to a pure pacifist who declares that we should love our enemies. So... "somthin' don't hunt!"

But, the Bible aside, do you think I'm right? Is that logical enough?

Your original premise "For God to have created time" is without support thus eliminating all that follows.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
ethang5
Posts: 4,104
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 9:59:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 1:37:43 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/15/2014 10:50:55 AM, ethang5 wrote:
At 12/14/2014 7:29:16 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/14/2014 3:48:51 AM, frbnsn wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

According to me, objectivity is an ideal which has been decreed by god and mankind must effort to reach it.

Are you speaking of the Christian God... the God of the Bible? If so, please offer scripture which shows that a God who changes his mind, changes his rules, and then tries to circumvent his rules is a standard of objectivity. Or are you another who just makes God whatever you need him to be for the moment?

What is the definition of "objective" as you use it in this thread?

The same as anywhere else. I don't need to try to redefine words to make my case the way many theists seem to do.

Then your posts makes no sense. No wonder you refused to define your term.
phiLockeraptor
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 1:08:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 8:59:17 PM, james14 wrote:
At 12/14/2014 2:53:10 AM, Beastt wrote:
We continually see assertions that objective truth can only have objective value if God exist, or objective morality is an evidence that God exists (even though it should be obvious that "objective morality" can't exist because morality must serve the interests of a society, not an individual).

Why do so many theists assume that God equals objectivity? Is there anything about the God of the Bible which indicates that God is objective? What line of logic (if any), suggests that God equates to objectivity, even when we see nearly every assertion of an association to God, demonstrating obvious subjectivity?

For God to have created time he must be outside of time. A being outside of time would possess no ability to change from our standpoint at least. In short, God cannot change.

Let's pretend that I am a Muslim. My Belief will not change. This is not a reliable claim to objectivity.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
phiLockeraptor
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 1:11:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/14/2014 3:42:09 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
Power doesn't equal objectivity. Objectivity concerns whether something is indefinitely true. If an arbiter of human purpose, such as God, gave human beings a purpose, that purpose is indefinitely true for all humans.

If somebody was living under authoritarian rule, the objectivity of whatever they establish is not indefinitely true. It would be conditionally true.

If humans were given objective purpose by God, then from the human perspective, this purpose is unconditionally true.

Slaves were designated as workers by everyone else. Where is the objective truth in that?

Plus, God is literally omnipotent. He would have no need to make humans just to reach an end.

Also, even if you're argument is true, this outlet make it essential for objectivity. It old simply be one of many explanations.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com