Total Posts:87|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Religious Trivia Time - Stress Free Zone

jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:56:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It's the general consensus on the DDO that this is a terrible place to be. I know right! I'm hurt by that too. So I would like to start a thread that is educational and free of our typical arguments to prove them wrong. We can have a functional thread and come together for a common cause, regardless of our beliefs. Or can we? This is a challenge.

***RELIGIOUS TRIVIA***

Post the most obscure trivial facts in the world of religion. I know that all you intelligent people have factoids that'll qualify.

Rules: Be nice! No debating! No trolling!
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 5:57:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Tina Turner is a Buddhist. Seriously! That makes her the Buddhist with the best legs... ever.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dee-em
Posts: 6,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:27:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 5:56:14 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
It's the general consensus on the DDO that this is a terrible place to be. I know right! I'm hurt by that too. So I would like to start a thread that is educational and free of our typical arguments to prove them wrong. We can have a functional thread and come together for a common cause, regardless of our beliefs. Or can we? This is a challenge.

***RELIGIOUS TRIVIA***

Post the most obscure trivial facts in the world of religion. I know that all you intelligent people have factoids that'll qualify.

Rules: Be nice! No debating! No trolling!

Did you know that the "Star of Bethlehem" should be the "Star of Nazareth" according to Gentorev?

Oops. Did I just break your first rule?
Who's a naughty boy?
bulproof
Posts: 25,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:28:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:27:05 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 12/15/2014 5:56:14 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
It's the general consensus on the DDO that this is a terrible place to be. I know right! I'm hurt by that too. So I would like to start a thread that is educational and free of our typical arguments to prove them wrong. We can have a functional thread and come together for a common cause, regardless of our beliefs. Or can we? This is a challenge.

***RELIGIOUS TRIVIA***

Post the most obscure trivial facts in the world of religion. I know that all you intelligent people have factoids that'll qualify.

Rules: Be nice! No debating! No trolling!

Did you know that the "Star of Bethlehem" should be the "Star of Nazareth" according to Gentorev?

Oops. Did I just break your first rule?
Who's a naughty boy?

No presence for you. :)
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Posts: 25,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:30:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Did you know that a race of giants once roamed the earth, the result of women and demi-gods interbreeding?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:35:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:27:05 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 12/15/2014 5:56:14 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
It's the general consensus on the DDO that this is a terrible place to be. I know right! I'm hurt by that too. So I would like to start a thread that is educational and free of our typical arguments to prove them wrong. We can have a functional thread and come together for a common cause, regardless of our beliefs. Or can we? This is a challenge.

***RELIGIOUS TRIVIA***

Post the most obscure trivial facts in the world of religion. I know that all you intelligent people have factoids that'll qualify.

Rules: Be nice! No debating! No trolling!

Did you know that the "Star of Bethlehem" should be the "Star of Nazareth" according to Gentorev?

Oops. Did I just break your first rule?
Who's a naughty boy?

You are! You're a naughty boy.

Naughty boy.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
dee-em
Posts: 6,464
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:41:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Believe it or not.
The Bible teaches quite plainly that the early patriarchs often lived to be nearly 1,000 years old and even had children when they were several hundred years old!
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,829
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:49:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 5:56:14 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
It's the general consensus on the DDO that this is a terrible place to be. I know right! I'm hurt by that too. So I would like to start a thread that is educational and free of our typical arguments to prove them wrong. We can have a functional thread and come together for a common cause, regardless of our beliefs. Or can we? This is a challenge.

***RELIGIOUS TRIVIA***

Post the most obscure trivial facts in the world of religion. I know that all you intelligent people have factoids that'll qualify.

Rules: Be nice! No debating! No trolling!

1. Chalcedonianism was an earlier form of Christianity adopted by the Roman Empire, later declared a heresy by the Catholics.

2. Arianism is a heresy of Christianity.

3. The Rule of Saint Benedict is largely based on Roman military principle.

4. Christianity was originally classified as a "Mystery Religion", which were a result of people's discomfort with the Roman Hellenic afterlife. A notable other example is the Cult of Isis.

5. Aten, the Sun God of Egypt, is one of the earlier examples of a polytheistic religion becoming more monotheistic.

6. The Babylonians had a creation myth where a warrior-god named Marduk slew a beast named Tiamat where from its corpse the Universe was created.

7. The Phoenicians may have sacrificed children to their god, Baal Hammon.

8. Jim Jones created a religious cult that led to the largest mass suicide in history, after they all drank poisoned punch.

9. There are times where the Romans worshiped their Emperor's as gods.

10. Dogeism is the one and only true religion.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Posts: 25,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:49:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:

You'd be hard to beat at Monopoly though.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:35:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:49:14 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/15/2014 5:56:14 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
It's the general consensus on the DDO that this is a terrible place to be. I know right! I'm hurt by that too. So I would like to start a thread that is educational and free of our typical arguments to prove them wrong. We can have a functional thread and come together for a common cause, regardless of our beliefs. Or can we? This is a challenge.

***RELIGIOUS TRIVIA***

Post the most obscure trivial facts in the world of religion. I know that all you intelligent people have factoids that'll qualify.

Rules: Be nice! No debating! No trolling!

1. Chalcedonianism was an earlier form of Christianity adopted by the Roman Empire, later declared a heresy by the Catholics.

2. Arianism is a heresy of Christianity.

3. The Rule of Saint Benedict is largely based on Roman military principle.

4. Christianity was originally classified as a "Mystery Religion", which were a result of people's discomfort with the Roman Hellenic afterlife. A notable other example is the Cult of Isis.

5. Aten, the Sun God of Egypt, is one of the earlier examples of a polytheistic religion becoming more monotheistic.

6. The Babylonians had a creation myth where a warrior-god named Marduk slew a beast named Tiamat where from its corpse the Universe was created.

7. The Phoenicians may have sacrificed children to their god, Baal Hammon.

8. Jim Jones created a religious cult that led to the largest mass suicide in history, after they all drank poisoned punch.

9. There are times where the Romans worshiped their Emperor's as gods.

10. Dogeism is the one and only true religion.

The poison punch is interesting. Wow.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:36:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:49:30 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:

You'd be hard to beat at Monopoly though.

Are you kidding? I've never won Monopoly! I think my ADD doesn't play long games well.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:41:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:

Cursed for stealing monopoly money? Throw it up in the sky. Give it all to God. Let God take what he needs but before you do, pray and ask him to return the rest as real money and also pour down some wisdom with it so you can really spend it wisely.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,829
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:46:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 10:35:07 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:49:14 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/15/2014 5:56:14 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
It's the general consensus on the DDO that this is a terrible place to be. I know right! I'm hurt by that too. So I would like to start a thread that is educational and free of our typical arguments to prove them wrong. We can have a functional thread and come together for a common cause, regardless of our beliefs. Or can we? This is a challenge.

***RELIGIOUS TRIVIA***

Post the most obscure trivial facts in the world of religion. I know that all you intelligent people have factoids that'll qualify.

Rules: Be nice! No debating! No trolling!

1. Chalcedonianism was an earlier form of Christianity adopted by the Roman Empire, later declared a heresy by the Catholics.

2. Arianism is a heresy of Christianity.

3. The Rule of Saint Benedict is largely based on Roman military principle.

4. Christianity was originally classified as a "Mystery Religion", which were a result of people's discomfort with the Roman Hellenic afterlife. A notable other example is the Cult of Isis.

5. Aten, the Sun God of Egypt, is one of the earlier examples of a polytheistic religion becoming more monotheistic.

6. The Babylonians had a creation myth where a warrior-god named Marduk slew a beast named Tiamat where from its corpse the Universe was created.

7. The Phoenicians may have sacrificed children to their god, Baal Hammon.

8. Jim Jones created a religious cult that led to the largest mass suicide in history, after they all drank poisoned punch.

9. There are times where the Romans worshiped their Emperor's as gods.

10. Dogeism is the one and only true religion.

The poison punch is interesting. Wow.

It was also the only instance in history where a US senator was killed by a foreign group.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:53:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
There was a preacher who fell in the ocean and he couldn't swim. When a boat came by, the captain yelled, "Do you need help, sir?" The preacher calmly said "No, God will save me." A little later, another boat came by and a fisherman asked, "Hey, do you need help?" The preacher replied again, "No God will save me." Eventually the preacher drowned & went to heaven. The preacher asked God, "Why didn't you save me?" God replied, "Fool, I sent you two boats!"
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:00:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 10:36:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:49:30 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:

You'd be hard to beat at Monopoly though.

Are you kidding? I've never won Monopoly! I think my ADD doesn't play long games well.

they added a third dice for speed play. So a 4 hour game is only 2. the third dice has things like "move to next open spot and buy it. " or go straight to go.
bulproof
Posts: 25,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:09:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 11:00:59 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/15/2014 10:36:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:49:30 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:

You'd be hard to beat at Monopoly though.

Are you kidding? I've never won Monopoly! I think my ADD doesn't play long games well.

they added a third dice for speed play. So a 4 hour game is only 2. the third dice has things like "move to next open spot and buy it. " or go straight to go.

Obviously for the american market.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:11:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 11:09:09 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 11:00:59 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/15/2014 10:36:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:49:30 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:

You'd be hard to beat at Monopoly though.

Are you kidding? I've never won Monopoly! I think my ADD doesn't play long games well.

they added a third dice for speed play. So a 4 hour game is only 2. the third dice has things like "move to next open spot and buy it. " or go straight to go.

Obviously for the american market.

At least we are not as bad as Korea when it comes to games.

And this may be the only point I agree with you on.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:16:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Q: What do a Christmas tree and a priest have in common?
A: Their balls are just for decoration.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:17:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A man is talking to God. "God, how long is a million years?" God answers, "To me, it's about a minute." "God, how much is a million dollars?" "To me, it's a penny." "God, may I have a penny?" "Wait a minute."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:27:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 11:11:22 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/15/2014 11:09:09 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 11:00:59 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/15/2014 10:36:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:49:30 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:

You'd be hard to beat at Monopoly though.

Are you kidding? I've never won Monopoly! I think my ADD doesn't play long games well.

they added a third dice for speed play. So a 4 hour game is only 2. the third dice has things like "move to next open spot and buy it. " or go straight to go.

Obviously for the american market.

At least we are not as bad as Korea when it comes to games.

And this may be the only point I agree with you on.

I love you for that Mhykiel. You just gave me hope that we could all get along. It's the small things =') Now I have to come back from cloud nine and face the rest of the forum.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Bennett91
Posts: 4,217
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:27:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 11:17:31 PM, Skyangel wrote:
A man is talking to God. "God, how long is a million years?" God answers, "To me, it's about a minute." "God, how much is a million dollars?" "To me, it's a penny." "God, may I have a penny?" "Wait a minute."

I think the joke would have been funnier if after God says "To me, it's about s minute" He says "Do you understand? ... Oh crap he's dead."
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:40:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 11:16:40 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Q: What do a Christmas tree and a priest have in common?
A: Their balls are just for decoration.

I'm probably going think of priests every Christmas now, forever. Especially after Christmas when I'm wrapping the balls up gently for storage. -.-
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bulproof
Posts: 25,221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:40:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 11:11:22 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/15/2014 11:09:09 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 11:00:59 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/15/2014 10:36:44 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:49:30 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:43:58 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
Taoists burn fake money for their dead loved ones so they'll have cash in the afterlife. I have a stack my dad stole from his wife's, grandma when she died. I'm probably cursed for that. D:

You'd be hard to beat at Monopoly though.

Are you kidding? I've never won Monopoly! I think my ADD doesn't play long games well.

they added a third dice for speed play. So a 4 hour game is only 2. the third dice has things like "move to next open spot and buy it. " or go straight to go.

Obviously for the american market.

At least we are not as bad as Korea when it comes to games.

And this may be the only point I agree with you on.

Ahh but is that north or south Mhyk?
You know that Kim Jong Un has never lost any game he has ever played?
I think he should stop playing checkers with his barber though. :)
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:49:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Pope Francis tweets religiously. I might join twitter for that.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 11:54:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 9:30:36 PM, bulproof wrote:
Did you know that a race of giants once roamed the earth, the result of women and demi-gods interbreeding?

That's a popular Christian belief. When I read it, I can only see evidence of big, ordinary men. No demi-gods (angels).
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:03:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 11:40:32 PM, jodybirdy wrote:
At 12/15/2014 11:16:40 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Q: What do a Christmas tree and a priest have in common?
A: Their balls are just for decoration.

I'm probably going think of priests every Christmas now, forever. Especially after Christmas when I'm wrapping the balls up gently for storage. -.-

Well if I hear you giggle as you are gently wrapping the balls in plastic, I will know why.
At least packing up will be a spiritual experience for you. :-)
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:05:14 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/15/2014 11:54:23 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 12/15/2014 9:30:36 PM, bulproof wrote:
Did you know that a race of giants once roamed the earth, the result of women and demi-gods interbreeding?

That's a popular Christian belief. When I read it, I can only see evidence of big, ordinary men. No demi-gods (angels).

You will find the giants on weight watchers.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Posts: 748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:07:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Obscure contradiction.

Acts 7:14 states: Then sent Joseph, and called his father Jacob to him, and all his kindred, threescore and fifteen souls.

But Genesis 46:27 states: ...all the souls of the house of Jacob, which came into Egypt, were threescore and ten.

It appears we have five mystery souls.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.