Jump to topic:

God forces people to suffer.

SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:55:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The rules of this debate are as follows: This debate is based on the belief that the God of the Bible exists. Please debate accordingly. My argument: People do not want to suffer. They suffer anyway. Therefore, the logical conclusion is that God forces people to suffer.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 7:59:55 PM
At 12/15/2014 7:55:23 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:
The rules of this debate are as follows: This debate is based on the belief that the God of the Bible exists. Please debate accordingly. My argument: People do not want to suffer. They suffer anyway. Therefore, the logical conclusion is that God forces people to suffer.

So people have no free will?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:04:31 PM
At 12/15/2014 7:59:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

So people have no free will?

Absolute freedom does not exist. Just ask a cancer patient who wants the freedom to be cancer free. Suffering is not something we choose, it is something that is forced on us.
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:05:21 PM

Answer: The tortured souls (men) who "wrote" the Bible thought what you thought.

Conclusion: You all are insane. The "God" of the "Bible" is a horror movie. Please use caution when scaring people...
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:08:31 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:05:21 PM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:

Answer: The tortured souls (men) who "wrote" the Bible thought what you thought.

Conclusion: You all are insane. The "God" of the "Bible" is a horror movie. Please use caution when scaring people...

I have mixed feelings about God. I don
t trust Him very much though.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:25:26 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:08:31 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Perhaps since he has never done anything or said anything, your mistrust would better directed at those who claim he exists.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:30:39 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:25:26 PM, Beastt wrote:

Perhaps since he has never done anything or said anything, your mistrust would better directed at those who claim he exists.

I will have to do that.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:33:31 PM

I can't be that God allows people to suffer?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:38:04 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:33:31 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Strawman fallacy. I never dictated what you can believe. I was just asserting the ground rules for this debate. Either stay on topic, or leave. Allowation is causation by ommission.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:39:39 PM

Stop blaming people's problems on God lol
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:44:10 PM
Sin forces people to suffer, God gives life. God relieves suffering. Sin destroys, God mends. Sin corrupts, God renews.

God offers to every person a full pardon of guilt, and complete removal of suffering and promises blessings in eternal life so good it far surpasses human understanding.
If you will not trust God, if you will not believe Him, if you will not admit you are lost and call to Him to save you from your sin, death, and Hell, if you will not admit that you deserve to die and burn in Hell.............blaming God for your suffering won't ease your suffering.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:44:33 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:39:39 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Stop blaming people's problems on God lol

Real Christian mocking an honest question. Yes or no: Is god in control?
Thanksfornotraping
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:54:26 PM

Well, since I already told you he DOES exists, per my revelation...
james14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 8:54:32 PM
Sitara Musica: Do you want to get to the bottom of this topic? If so, I can help you and we can have a good discussion. If you're just out to mock Christians then say so.
Maybe I'm a genius; maybe not.

||||?||||
||>|||||<|
|<||>||?|||
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:01:29 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:54:26 PM, Thanksfornotraping wrote:

Well, since I already told you he DOES exists, per my revelation...
Is there some reason I shouldn't file you with the people who saw Elvis walking around days after he died and those who claim they've been abducted by UFOs?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 9:57:49 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:38:04 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

Strawman fallacy. I never dictated what you can believe. I was just asserting the ground rules for this debate. Either stay on topic, or leave. Allowation is causation by ommission.

It's not a strawman at all. Your rules are that the Biblical God exists. Your argument is that He forces people to suffer. I merely questioned your argument. I didn't hijack your rules.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:04:22 PM

How is that the logical conclusion?

If a cancer patient suffers from cancer but a doctor doesn't cure the patient, the doctor is not forcing the patient to suffer. There is no being forcing the patient to suffer.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:18:52 PM

Every detail of a man's life was planned, created and formed by our invisible Creator within His mind. There's nothing we can do to change His will ( program ) for us called Eternal Life.

In the next age, we will never suffer again.

Isaiah 65
16: So that he who blesses himself in the land shall bless himself by the God of truth, and he who takes an oath in the land shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten and are hid from my eyes.
17: "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
18: But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19: I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:25:26 PM

Just because you've never known God doesn't mean no one has. All us saints and prophets know God and testify to His knowledge by writing and speaking the words He puts in our mind. No Christian has ever had this happen to them so they can't tell you what He's like or His knowledge that us saints possess.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:52:34 PM
At 12/15/2014 10:25:26 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Just because you've never known God doesn't mean no one has. All us saints and prophets know God and testify to His knowledge by writing and speaking the words He puts in our mind. No Christian has ever had this happen to them so they can't tell you what He's like or His knowledge that us saints possess.

Apparently, God can't write... or speak. but certain people have had their free-will violated by God when he put his thoughts into their heads... instead of providing them with the medications and treatments they need.

Sorry BoG, I do try to remember that you're in a unique position. But it's not the position you profess.
a_drumming_dog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:52:57 PM
The rules of this debate are as follows: This debate is based on the belief that the God of the Bible exists. Please debate accordingly. My argument:

People do not want to suffer.
They suffer anyway.
Therefore, the logical conclusion is that God forces people to suffer.

I don't think this argument is as tight as you think. I would phrase it this way

1 God causes suffering.
2 People suffer.
3 Therefore God causes people to suffer.

I want to make sure that you accept the proposed argument before i precede. If you wish to change it, you can.
The truth will set you free
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2014 10:57:37 PM

Yes Life/God forces people to suffer. Does that mean life is evil or life does not exist?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:00:21 AM

People force other people to suffer. People force themselves to suffer. Nature forces people to suffer. It's not God's fault. Gosh.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:35:57 PM
At 12/16/2014 12:00:21 AM, jodybirdy wrote:

People force other people to suffer. People force themselves to suffer. Nature forces people to suffer. It's not God's fault. Gosh.

Yes or no: Is God in control?
jodybirdy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:38:42 PM
At 12/16/2014 12:35:57 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

No, I have a feeling that would defeat the purpose of living.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:42:08 PM

Many people suffer because of earthquakes, disease, weather, and many other conditions that God created. It's very difficult for God's people to blame Him for all the suffering that He created.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:44:45 PM
At 12/15/2014 8:54:32 PM, james14 wrote:
Sitara Musica: Do you want to get to the bottom of this topic? If so, I can help you and we can have a good discussion. If you're just out to mock Christians then say so.

You are wrong. I am not mocking anyone. Stop playing the victim. Religicrites always play the victim when people question things. It is not wrong or mocking to ask questions or disagree.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:47:28 PM

God is in total control of everything He planned, created and formed in this world. We are created people who can't control anything.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:49:05 PM
At 12/15/2014 9:57:49 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 12/15/2014 8:38:04 PM, SitaraMusica wrote:

It's not a strawman at all. Your rules are that the Biblical God exists. Your argument is that He forces people to suffer. I merely questioned your argument. I didn't hijack your rules.

You are wrong. It is a strawman when you misrepresent your opponant's position. I never said that you cannot believe what you believe. I just said that this debate is based on the belief that the God of the Bible exists. There is a difference.
SitaraMusica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2014 12:53:31 PM
At 12/16/2014 12:47:28 PM, bornofgod wrote:

God is in total control of everything He planned, created and formed in this world. We are created people who can't control anything.
I agree.