Total Posts:90|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why fight religion?

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:12:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't entirely agree with his explanation here, though I agree with his other responses to the question.

I feel that fighting God is part of my spiritual path.

.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:19:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:17:31 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:07:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Anything to say about it?

your thoughts or his thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Comment on what the video addresses.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:25:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:19:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:17:31 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:07:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Anything to say about it?

your thoughts or his thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Comment on what the video addresses.

i think he's a liar.
signature
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:27:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:25:06 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:19:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:17:31 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:07:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Anything to say about it?

your thoughts or his thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Comment on what the video addresses.

i think he's a liar.

Care to elaborate?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:32:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:27:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:25:06 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:19:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:17:31 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:07:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Anything to say about it?

your thoughts or his thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Comment on what the video addresses.

i think he's a liar.

Care to elaborate?

he's in it for the money and to feel superior. see the way he laughed at that fella's question. fair enough, that he is an idiot, but that's not the attitude of a teacher.
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:33:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:32:27 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:27:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:25:06 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:19:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:17:31 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:07:57 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Anything to say about it?

your thoughts or his thoughts?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Comment on what the video addresses.

i think he's a liar.

Care to elaborate?

he's in it for the money and to feel superior. see the way he laughed at that fella's question. fair enough, that he is an idiot, but that's not the attitude of a teacher.

sneaky "that".
signature
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:39:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
you know eschaton actually means "end things" not "end times" the 'Apocalypse' in the bible is not about the 'end of all time' though I would completely agree that it seems that's what Christians teach thanks to our baptist brothers and sisters. But the truth is time goes on. and for the people left behind even taking rapture teaching in its common view of 'end times' they are not simply left to 'go to hell'. Two prophets are left behind too who' enemies will be devoured by fire that pours from there mouths (whatever that means, visions could by literal or representative) and these prophets die to convert many over to Christ.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:46:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:37:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Ok then, nevermind what you think of Hitchens, what about what he said?

i think it's bs. people only believe in religion to feel superior, or for comfort, or to make it so that life is one big orgy. lol.
signature
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:48:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
You know if its reasonable to fight religion because bad people would use it for destruction, war, ect... then its equally reasonble to fight against science as people have used it claim its okay to kill Jews and Blacks since they are almost 'Pure-ape'
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:53:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:46:42 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:37:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Ok then, nevermind what you think of Hitchens, what about what he said?

i think it's bs. people only believe in religion to feel superior, or for comfort, or to make it so that life is one big orgy. lol.

what was i talking about? forgive my stonedness. to be honest, i watched about the first minute.
signature
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:55:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:48:30 PM, Marauder wrote:
You know if its reasonable to fight religion because bad people would use it for destruction, war, ect... then its equally reasonble to fight against science as people have used it claim its okay to kill Jews and Blacks since they are almost 'Pure-ape'

No, it's not like that at all. The very essence of religion is inherently evil.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:55:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:53:03 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:46:42 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:37:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Ok then, nevermind what you think of Hitchens, what about what he said?

i think it's bs. people only believe in religion to feel superior, or for comfort, or to make it so that life is one big orgy. lol.

what was i talking about? forgive my stonedness. to be honest, i watched about the first minute.

Well then go back and watch it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:56:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:55:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:48:30 PM, Marauder wrote:
You know if its reasonable to fight religion because bad people would use it for destruction, war, ect... then its equally reasonble to fight against science as people have used it claim its okay to kill Jews and Blacks since they are almost 'Pure-ape'

No, it's not like that at all. The very essence of religion is inherently evil.

it makes a good manipulative tool.
signature
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:58:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:55:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
No, it's not like that at all. The very essence of religion is inherently evil.

Am I the only one who finds this statement wildly contradictory?

I mean, the only real way for anything to be "evil" is for there to be some sort of objective right-and-wrong dichotomy that religion excels so well at creating.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 4:59:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:58:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:55:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
No, it's not like that at all. The very essence of religion is inherently evil.

Am I the only one who finds this statement wildly contradictory?

I mean, the only real way for anything to be "evil" is for there to be some sort of objective right-and-wrong dichotomy that religion excels so well at creating.

You're saying that concepts of right and wrong only exist with religion. This is rubbish.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:00:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:55:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:53:03 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:46:42 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:37:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Ok then, nevermind what you think of Hitchens, what about what he said?

i think it's bs. people only believe in religion to feel superior, or for comfort, or to make it so that life is one big orgy. lol.

what was i talking about? forgive my stonedness. to be honest, i watched about the first minute.

Well then go back and watch it.

i don't think i'm capable of doing that at the moment. if you would like to write it out for me, i might soldier through it.
signature
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:01:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:59:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You're saying that concepts of right and wrong only exist with religion. This is rubbish.

I didn't say that - I said that religion excels at creating this false dichotomy really well. It seems kind of contradictory to say that religion is "evil" when "evil" itself is something that religion claims its authority over. In fact, I'm willing to bet that your entire idea of its "evil" attributes stems from its inherent hierarchy and authority - yet hierarchy and authority are the things which make the definition of "evil" concrete!
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:02:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:58:38 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:55:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
No, it's not like that at all. The very essence of religion is inherently evil.

Am I the only one who finds this statement wildly contradictory?

I mean, the only real way for anything to be "evil" is for there to be some sort of objective right-and-wrong dichotomy that religion excels so well at creating.

it's still fairly evil though.
signature
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:02:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 5:00:36 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:55:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:53:03 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:46:42 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:37:28 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Ok then, nevermind what you think of Hitchens, what about what he said?

i think it's bs. people only believe in religion to feel superior, or for comfort, or to make it so that life is one big orgy. lol.

what was i talking about? forgive my stonedness. to be honest, i watched about the first minute.

Well then go back and watch it.

i don't think i'm capable of doing that at the moment. if you would like to write it out for me, i might soldier through it.

He goes over why religion is ebil n' sh*t.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:04:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 5:01:57 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:59:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You're saying that concepts of right and wrong only exist with religion. This is rubbish.

I didn't say that - I said that religion excels at creating this false dichotomy really well. It seems kind of contradictory to say that religion is "evil" when "evil" itself is something that religion claims its authority over. In fact, I'm willing to bet that your entire idea of its "evil" attributes stems from its inherent hierarchy and authority - yet hierarchy and authority are the things which make the definition of "evil" concrete!

You think I care what they claim? How is it contradictory if they're wrong?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 5:04:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You think I care what they claim? How is it contradictory if they're wrong?

Huh, what?

Whether they're wrong or right doesn't matter. You're claiming they're evil for whatever reason, while they do the exact same thing that you're doing (they do it much better by the way), creating this false dichotomy of good and evil.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:11:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 5:01:57 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:59:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You're saying that concepts of right and wrong only exist with religion. This is rubbish.

I didn't say that - I said that religion excels at creating this false dichotomy really well. It seems kind of contradictory to say that religion is "evil" when "evil" itself is something that religion claims its authority over. In fact, I'm willing to bet that your entire idea of its "evil" attributes stems from its inherent hierarchy and authority - yet hierarchy and authority are the things which make the definition of "evil" concrete!

not really. just because religion claims authority over what we percieve as good or evil doesn't mean they actually have that power. society controls what's viewed as evil.
signature
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:11:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 5:07:11 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/24/2010 5:04:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
You think I care what they claim? How is it contradictory if they're wrong?

Huh, what?

Whether they're wrong or right doesn't matter. You're claiming they're evil for whatever reason, while they do the exact same thing that you're doing (they do it much better by the way), creating this false dichotomy of good and evil.

You said my original statement was contradictory.

I'm sorry, I'm failing to see why.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:16:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 4:55:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:48:30 PM, Marauder wrote:
You know if its reasonable to fight religion because bad people would use it for destruction, war, ect... then its equally reasonble to fight against science as people have used it claim its okay to kill Jews and Blacks since they are almost 'Pure-ape'

No, it's not like that at all. The very essence of religion is inherently evil.

I'll try to remember that next time I give money to a charity, next time I help another out without expecting to be paid.

By the way I'm assuming your using the term religion to refer to faith based teachings all together, if you actually mean religion to refer to organized structures of faith specifically, like church hierarchy of bishops, and popes, or bible selling or anything like that my defense of religion changes. Even we teach some people can have "religion" and not have God in there life.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:20:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 5:16:42 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:55:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:48:30 PM, Marauder wrote:
You know if its reasonable to fight religion because bad people would use it for destruction, war, ect... then its equally reasonble to fight against science as people have used it claim its okay to kill Jews and Blacks since they are almost 'Pure-ape'

No, it's not like that at all. The very essence of religion is inherently evil.

I'll try to remember that next time I give money to a charity, next time I help another out without expecting to be paid.

How dare you pull that card as if your religion or any religion at all is the only source of a reason for helping others. Despicable.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 5:22:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/24/2010 5:20:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 5:16:42 PM, Marauder wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:55:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 5/24/2010 4:48:30 PM, Marauder wrote:
You know if its reasonable to fight religion because bad people would use it for destruction, war, ect... then its equally reasonble to fight against science as people have used it claim its okay to kill Jews and Blacks since they are almost 'Pure-ape'

No, it's not like that at all. The very essence of religion is inherently evil.

I'll try to remember that next time I give money to a charity, next time I help another out without expecting to be paid.

How dare you pull that card as if your religion or any religion at all is the only source of a reason for helping others. Despicable.


LMAO way to miss the point.

You: religion is inherently evil.
Marauder: I am religious and give to charity (a good thing).
You: HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT RELIGION IS THE ONLY SOURCE OF CHARITY!

HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHA!
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!