Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

I want to debate.

Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 10:34:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 10:33:05 AM, Benshapiro wrote:
"Nihilism is self-refuting"

You are con I'll be pro.

What type of Nihilism. Nihilism can refer to many things.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,928
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:07:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Would you accept the definition of nihilism as

"a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths"

and shared BoP? I'm at work right now so I can write it all up when I get home
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:19:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 2:07:39 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Would you accept the definition of nihilism as


"a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths"

and shared BoP? I'm at work right now so I can write it all up when I get home

Well, you are mixing up 2 forms of nihilism, moral nihilism (the rejection of inherent moral truths) and epistemological nihilism (the rejection of objective truth).

I can debate either/both. But be explicit.
Benshapiro
Posts: 3,928
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:22:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 2:19:04 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 2:07:39 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Would you accept the definition of nihilism as


"a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths"

and shared BoP? I'm at work right now so I can write it all up when I get home

Well, you are mixing up 2 forms of nihilism, moral nihilism (the rejection of inherent moral truths) and epistemological nihilism (the rejection of objective truth).

I can debate either/both. But be explicit.

I'd like to debate both. That definition came from a dictionary so I didn't make up but I'll elaborate more in my own words I suppose.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:22:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 2:22:02 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
At 12/17/2014 2:19:04 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 2:07:39 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Would you accept the definition of nihilism as


"a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths"

and shared BoP? I'm at work right now so I can write it all up when I get home

Well, you are mixing up 2 forms of nihilism, moral nihilism (the rejection of inherent moral truths) and epistemological nihilism (the rejection of objective truth).

I can debate either/both. But be explicit.

I'd like to debate both. That definition came from a dictionary so I didn't make up but I'll elaborate more in my own words I suppose.

Alright, go ahead.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:30:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!

Objective morals exist. I'll be Con you be Pro.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:34:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 2:30:40 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!

Objective morals exist. I'll be Con you be Pro.

Lol... Be careful what you wish for Bennet.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,195
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 2:36:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 2:34:45 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 2:30:40 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!

Objective morals exist. I'll be Con you be Pro.

Lol... Be careful what you wish for Bennet.

BenneTT you SoB!
Toviyah
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 3:19:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!
I'll debate you on the existence of God
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 3:23:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 3:19:59 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!
I'll debate you on the existence of God

Ok, define "God".
Toviyah
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 3:33:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 3:23:55 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:19:59 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!
I'll debate you on the existence of God

Ok, define "God".
Omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 3:33:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 3:19:59 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!
I'll debate you on the existence of God

You also may be interested in my open challenge:
http://www.debate.org...
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 3:36:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 3:33:48 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:23:55 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:19:59 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!
I'll debate you on the existence of God

Ok, define "God".
Omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent

A mind too, I presume> I will send you the challenge unless you want the external cause one.
Toviyah
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 3:40:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 3:36:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:33:48 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:23:55 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:19:59 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!
I'll debate you on the existence of God

Ok, define "God".
Omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent

A mind too, I presume> I will send you the challenge unless you want the external cause one.
Hmm, I'm leaning towards the external cause one mainly because if we were to debate Omnipotent/scient/benevolent I would go for that ontological argument but that wouldn't be very productive I don't think. And I have a couple of new arguments for an external cause. I'll get back to you.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 3:41:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 3:40:19 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:36:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:33:48 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:23:55 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:19:59 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!
I'll debate you on the existence of God

Ok, define "God".
Omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent

A mind too, I presume> I will send you the challenge unless you want the external cause one.
Hmm, I'm leaning towards the external cause one mainly because if we were to debate Omnipotent/scient/benevolent I would go for that ontological argument but that wouldn't be very productive I don't think. And I have a couple of new arguments for an external cause. I'll get back to you.

I'll send you the challenge anyway, and either decline it when you make up your mind or accept it. I will send you the external cause one if you decline.

That way it gains some publicity, lol.
Toviyah
Posts: 88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2014 3:45:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/17/2014 3:41:51 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:40:19 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:36:00 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:33:48 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:23:55 PM, Envisage wrote:
At 12/17/2014 3:19:59 PM, Toviyah wrote:
At 12/17/2014 10:26:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
Leave a few topics in your post and we can debate one....

Pl0x!
I'll debate you on the existence of God

Ok, define "God".
Omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent

A mind too, I presume> I will send you the challenge unless you want the external cause one.
Hmm, I'm leaning towards the external cause one mainly because if we were to debate Omnipotent/scient/benevolent I would go for that ontological argument but that wouldn't be very productive I don't think. And I have a couple of new arguments for an external cause. I'll get back to you.

I'll send you the challenge anyway, and either decline it when you make up your mind or accept it. I will send you the external cause one if you decline.

That way it gains some publicity, lol.
Alrighty, I'll probably get back you you tomorrow-ish