Total Posts:74|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How are cults formed?

Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 5:31:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hint: It involves keeping people ignorant...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 9:05:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'll use the often named "Cult of the Mormon Church" as an example.
I don't intend to go back and revise, so I'll just state what I know, Mormonism is a "mass movement" ,
One of my favourite Authors wrote about "Mass Movements" Eric Hoffer "The True Believer"

MAN OF WORDS (The Man)
Someone who has the gift of the gab,has a constant drive, reading writing talking, this first on the scene for the Mormon Church, was convicted glass looker Joseph Smith who was born to parents with a background in teaching, with access to a vast library of books, with instructions and information from how to curl a worms tail to the physiological effects of wearing leather pyjamas, you name it, this Freemason family had it, and if they didn't have it, they would get it from one of their masonic brethren down at their local Temple,

FANATIC
After Joseph died as the result of a Gunfight whilst in Jail for destroying a printing press belonging to a local company which was hell bent on exposing Joseph various satanic and Freemason linked activities.

In steps Freemason Brigham Young to take his place. A true fanatic if ever there was one, had over 50 wives, taught Adam was "the only God of which we had to do" and embarked on blazing a trail over the mountains taking men women and children for miles and months if not years, to reach what he called "The promised Land", he was also strongly into blood atonement, where by killing certain sinners would be doing them a favour.

MEN OF WORKS
This is what we see today, 60,000 self sponsered missionaries world wide, Prophets Apostles with high level business degrees, building an Empire, buying up land and businesses, in preparation of the Lord for his second coming

These men know when to change, off came the beards, the hats, and the white suits made famous by David O Mckay through time they decided to allow blacks the priesthood stop blood atonement, plural marriage, all at a time when it suited the tide, they know how and when to change like every successful business this in turn allows them to appeal to people of all generations,

That's the brief version on how one of the worlds most successful and often called "Cult" was formed, so in short it required the right people at the right time !
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:28:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 9:05:11 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
I'll use the often named "Cult of the Mormon Church" as an example.

It's not a cult. You may want it to be one, but it's not. It's too big. If i remember correctly from sociology there are a few important ingredients that go into a cult, and one is their size. The Mormon church is gigantic and far reaching. Also with cults there is a uniformity of members character. The fact that Harry Reid and Mitt Romney are both Mormons, says they are not uniform in character. The other is monetary control - yeah they give big time, but i don't know if the church actually controls the finances of the individual. The other is a single or very small number of leaders that are held higher than the rest and somewhat revered- honestly i don't know about this in the Mormon church. The rest of the stipulations i forgot, it was a long while ago that i took the class in "deviant groups", but it was a pretty cool class.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:29:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:28:11 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/13/2010 9:05:11 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
I'll use the often named "Cult of the Mormon Church" as an example.

It's not a cult.... with cults there is a uniformity of members character.

umm... but

mormons are all such nice people!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:30:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:29:48 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/13/2010 11:28:11 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/13/2010 9:05:11 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
I'll use the often named "Cult of the Mormon Church" as an example.

It's not a cult.... with cults there is a uniformity of members character.

umm... but

mormons are all such nice people!

Nah, my Principal was Mormon and she was evil.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:32:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay TGT has no idea what he was talking about as regards to the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) you probably shouldn't use him as your source as it is the LDS Church is no more a cult than is the Catholic church.
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:40:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:34:55 AM, innomen wrote:
Would the Amish be a cult? By my criteria no, but by TGT's?

Cult: a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Maybe the Amish could be a cult. I'd say they're just another sect of Christianity, although going by the definition my dictionary provided some could argue that they're a cult.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:43:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:40:22 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 11:34:55 AM, innomen wrote:
Would the Amish be a cult? By my criteria no, but by TGT's?

Cult: a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Maybe the Amish could be a cult. I'd say they're just another sect of Christianity, although going by the definition my dictionary provided some could argue that they're a cult.

Subculture, not cult.
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:45:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:28:11 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/13/2010 9:05:11 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
I'll use the often named "Cult of the Mormon Church" as an example.

It's not a cult. You may want it to be one, but it's not. It's too big. If i remember correctly from sociology there are a few important ingredients that go into a cult, and one is their size. The Mormon church is gigantic and far reaching. Also with cults there is a uniformity of members character. The fact that Harry Reid and Mitt Romney are both Mormons, says they are not uniform in character. The other is monetary control - yeah they give big time, but i don't know if the church actually controls the finances of the individual. The other is a single or very small number of leaders that are held higher than the rest and somewhat revered- honestly i don't know about this in the Mormon church. The rest of the stipulations i forgot, it was a long while ago that i took the class in "deviant groups", but it was a pretty cool class.

Thanks for your imput.
I stopped myself short of saying they were a cult, because I prefer to avoid backtracking, to prove this point,
My question to you would be, "If we could determine a cult by the number of members, who sets the cut of point, and what would it be" ?,

Did you know that Catholicism is highly regarded as a cult, and have in the region of 1 billion members
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:55:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:34:55 AM, innomen wrote:
Would the Amish be a cult? By my criteria no, but by TGT's?

IM(humble)O... you're all cults!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 11:55:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:45:07 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:


Thanks for your imput.
I stopped myself short of saying they were a cult, because I prefer to avoid backtracking, to prove this point,
My question to you would be, "If we could determine a cult by the number of members, who sets the cut of point, and what would it be" ?,

: Did you know that Catholicism is highly regarded as a cult, and have in the region of 1 billion members

Probably by those who don't know what the word means, and throw it around as a blanket pejorative.
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:00:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:32:13 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
Okay TGT has no idea what he was talking about as regards to the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) you probably shouldn't use him as your source as it is the LDS Church is no more a cult than is the Catholic c
-------------------------
What part of the History did I get wrong ?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:02:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 11:55:57 AM, innomen wrote:
At 8/13/2010 11:45:07 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:


Thanks for your imput.
I stopped myself short of saying they were a cult, because I prefer to avoid backtracking, to prove this point,
My question to you would be, "If we could determine a cult by the number of members, who sets the cut of point, and what would it be" ?,

: Did you know that Catholicism is highly regarded as a cult, and have in the region of 1 billion members

Probably by those who don't know what the word means, and throw it around as a blanket pejorative.

Catholicism is definitely not a cult. Scientology most probably is. :P
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:05:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've seen cults, I won't name them but there are certain things to look for. Control is the biggest one. Changing of appearance or name. Full financial control. Usually a very charismatic leader. Shout, we could the USA is cult if you get too generic with the conditions.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:10:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

TWILIGHT IS A CULT.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:11:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:10:37 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

TWILIGHT IS A CULT.

Yes it is! <3
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:12:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

See above re: pejorative
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:13:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:10:37 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

TWILIGHT IS A CULT.

I think that would be a "cult" following.

I think numbers and how long a "cult" is around also has big part of it. Waco. David Koresh. Would most of you agree that that was a cult?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:14:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:11:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:37 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

TWILIGHT IS A CULT.

Yes it is! <3

Woohoo! Sig'd!! It's nice meeting people who agree with me. :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:15:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:14:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:11:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:37 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

TWILIGHT IS A CULT.

Yes it is! <3

Woohoo! Sig'd!! It's nice meeting people who agree with me. :D

Yep. I hate Twilight with a passion. The only reason I watch the movies is because there's a hot guy in them(not Robert Pattinson, he's disgusting).
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:16:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:15:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:14:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:11:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:37 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

TWILIGHT IS A CULT.

Yes it is! <3

Woohoo! Sig'd!! It's nice meeting people who agree with me. :D

Yep. I hate Twilight with a passion. The only reason I watch the movies is because there's a hot guy in them(not Robert Pattinson, he's disgusting).

Were we separated at birth? *_* :major high five!!:
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:16:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
More on topic. I think a cult is formed by a charismatic leader and people that want to be apart of something special and unique. Most majority religions/denominations don't usually fit that bill. The leader generally has a serious control issue and the people in the cult want to feel needed and special, but not always when in reference to God. It's more to do with the leader.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:17:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:16:35 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:15:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:14:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:11:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:37 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

TWILIGHT IS A CULT.

Yes it is! <3

Woohoo! Sig'd!! It's nice meeting people who agree with me. :D

Yep. I hate Twilight with a passion. The only reason I watch the movies is because there's a hot guy in them(not Robert Pattinson, he's disgusting).

Were we separated at birth? *_* :major high five!!:

Hahahahaha. Long lost twin? O.o
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:18:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:16:44 PM, jharry wrote:
More on topic. I think a cult is formed by a charismatic leader and people that want to be apart of something special and unique. Most majority religions/denominations don't usually fit that bill. The leader generally has a serious control issue and the people in the cult want to feel needed and special, but not always when in reference to God. It's more to do with the leader.

Fitting that definition, Scientology is definitely a cult.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:18:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:17:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:16:35 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:15:24 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:14:02 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:11:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:37 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:10:03 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:06:34 PM, jharry wrote:
We could say the USA is a cult.

The Tea Party is a cult. :P

TWILIGHT IS A CULT.

Yes it is! <3

Woohoo! Sig'd!! It's nice meeting people who agree with me. :D

Yep. I hate Twilight with a passion. The only reason I watch the movies is because there's a hot guy in them(not Robert Pattinson, he's disgusting).

Were we separated at birth? *_* :major high five!!:

Hahahahaha. Long lost twin? O.o

Doubt it... but it's funny to think about!! Probably be more believable if I still lived in B.C... :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:23:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:00:20 PM, the-good-teacher wrote:
At 8/13/2010 11:32:13 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
Okay TGT has no idea what he was talking about as regards to the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) you probably shouldn't use him as your source as it is the LDS Church is no more a cult than is the Catholic c
-------------------------
What part of the History did I get wrong ?

In short everything from the beginning character of your first post to the last character of your last post. Since I don't have time to go over everyone, I will provide an example.

"After Joseph died as the result of a Gunfight whilst in Jail"

Joseph Smith didn't die in a gunfight. A mob led by the jail guard broke into Carthage Jail and tried breaking through the door to where Joseph Smith was in with Joseph's brother Hyrum and several other prominent church leaders. The mob shot through the door several times killing Hyrum, who shouted to Joseph something to the effect of "go out the window" before dying when Joseph ran to the window members of the mob that had been waiting outside shot him multiple times with a rifles. I may have gotten one or two of the details wrong, but that is basically what happened.
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 12:24:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 12:18:37 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/13/2010 12:16:44 PM, jharry wrote:
More on topic. I think a cult is formed by a charismatic leader and people that want to be apart of something special and unique. Most majority religions/denominations don't usually fit that bill. The leader generally has a serious control issue and the people in the cult want to feel needed and special, but not always when in reference to God. It's more to do with the leader.

Fitting that definition, Scientology is definitely a cult.

I don't know much about them, but from what I do know I would have to agree with you. But don't they basically pay to get to "Heaven"? Do the leader(s) of Scientology dictate how their followers spend their time and money? I was thinking it was more of a buy heaven here type of deal, you got the money we have the keys.

Oh yeah, I agree. Twilight sucks bad.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen