Total Posts:37|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Question for Atheists

mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 3:51:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

There really isn't anything to convince one to be an atheist, however there appears to be a number of ancient myths and superstitions that have convinced people to be theists.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 3:52:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:51:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

There really isn't anything to convince one to be an atheist, however there appears to be a number of ancient myths and superstitions that have convinced people to be theists.

Interesting. But why are you an atheist?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 3:53:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:52:13 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:51:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

There really isn't anything to convince one to be an atheist, however there appears to be a number of ancient myths and superstitions that have convinced people to be theists.

Interesting. But why are you an atheist?

Because, I haven't been convinced by myths and superstitions to be a theist.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 3:55:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:53:53 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:52:13 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:51:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

There really isn't anything to convince one to be an atheist, however there appears to be a number of ancient myths and superstitions that have convinced people to be theists.

Interesting. But why are you an atheist?

Because, I haven't been convinced by myths and superstitions to be a theist.

So, you are an atheist because you haven't been convinced otherwise?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 4:00:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:55:34 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:53:53 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:52:13 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:51:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

There really isn't anything to convince one to be an atheist, however there appears to be a number of ancient myths and superstitions that have convinced people to be theists.

Interesting. But why are you an atheist?

Because, I haven't been convinced by myths and superstitions to be a theist.

So, you are an atheist because you haven't been convinced otherwise?

I have not chosen to be an "atheist" as that is the label theists have created for those who don't share their beliefs. I'm simply a human that doesn't hold beliefs in myths and superstitions.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 4:04:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 4:00:44 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:55:34 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:53:53 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:52:13 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:51:05 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

There really isn't anything to convince one to be an atheist, however there appears to be a number of ancient myths and superstitions that have convinced people to be theists.

Interesting. But why are you an atheist?

Because, I haven't been convinced by myths and superstitions to be a theist.

So, you are an atheist because you haven't been convinced otherwise?

I have not chosen to be an "atheist" as that is the label theists have created for those who don't share their beliefs. I'm simply a human that doesn't hold beliefs in myths and superstitions.

Fair enough. Thank you for teaching me about your perspective. :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 4:25:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

I grew up in an atheist family and got to know how they think. I became a christian and also got to know how they think.
I studied the bible and came to the conclusion that God is a personification of Life not some invisible father figure in the sky. I believe in God as Life but that does not make me a Christian or an atheist.

I have been labelled as an atheist by Christians but I do not consider myself to be an atheist.
I have been labelled as a Christian by atheists but I also no longer consider myself to be a Christian.

I simply do not believe in any invisible supernatural characters. All of them are mythical in my perception. That perception in the mind of Christians somehow causes them to label unbelievers in all invisible mythical characters as atheists.

I believe God is a concept which obviously exists in this world. That does not mean I believe the invisible character exists.
The concept of Santa also exists. I understand the concept but I do not believe in the invisible character. The same applies to God.

I think all atheists understand the concept of being kind and loving to other living things but they can manage to do that without believing in any supernatural characters.

No person needs to be convinced to be an atheist. People need to be convinced to believe in invisible supernatural beings and be convinced that when they talk to the invisible beings, those beings actually take some notice of them.
It is a bit like being convinced that when you write a letter to Santa, Santa actually gets it and reads it.

I think it is a childish way of thinking.

A belief in a concept of God is different to a belief in the invisible person called God.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 4:26:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Atheism is the default position, we all begin life lacking belief in any theistic Gods until eventually we are taught to believe in them.

Although never religious and always open to the unlimited possibilities out there... I was always a believer. The school of Christianity that I was taught included us going to hell if we didn't believe, and looking back at it I think the fear of that is what always kept me from taking interest in religious debates. Eventually after spending enough time on this site I began to realize just how absurd the whole notion was for an all loving God to create us knowing full well that we would sin, then send us to hell for all eternity when we did. It was so absurd that my mind was finally opened to learn more and take part in these discussions, which has lead me to being very comfortable with my position now as an atheist.
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 4:38:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am Christian, but I used to be an atheist. The agnostic argument concludes that we cannot know whether or not God exists with absolute certainty. People can choose to believe either way, but neither the theist nor the atheist can know whether God exists with 100% absolute certainty. I started as an agnostic, and my attitude toward the world caused me to shift toward atheism. I became very aware of evil and injustice in the world, and decided that God should not allow evil to exist in the way that it does. Yet, evil exists. I was angry about this. I chose to look at the world and see only evil and injustice and disorder. Certainly much of this does exist in the world.

But this is only half of the story. In order to be a "religious" person, one must change his life. This disgusted me. "I am who I am," I thought. "Who can tell me that I have to refrain from sex, drugs, drinking, and other so-called 'sins'." Growing up, I remember people saying that "sinners" go to hell. This also disgusted me. So I lived how I wanted to live, and did whatever I wanted to do. Then my life became hell. I had always been unhappy, but my self-serving life style took my unhappiness to a new low. I was in love with Hume and Nietzsche. I lived their philosophies as a personal experiment. The experiment failed. I was a wanna-be obermensch, self-worshipping to the core. I didn't want to change my life. Change, as I would soon learn, is not such a bad thing.

As an atheist, I always knew that the argument for God was fairly compelling. I understood it. I thought it to be imperfect, but could see its merits. I was, at my core, more interested in believing what is true rather than what I wanted to be true.

I drifted back into agnosticism. This was the most honest argument epistemically. I will always respect agnostics because of this. Indeed, I will always respect atheists. But I want answers. Agnosticism was not satisfactory for me. I perused the arguments for and against God's existence. I could not justify that a finite universe could be self-creating. I thought that an uncaused cause was difficult to swallow. However, unless the universe is capable of self-creation, it could not bring itself into existence. I believed that the universe was an uncaused cause for years. But causation would demand that a finite physical system have a cause just big enough to bring it into existence. And likewise, this cause must have another slightly bigger cause. The regress began, and it "ends in infinity."

There is also the problem of existence. Why do things exist? The only answer in my mind is that something capable of bringing them into existence must have created them. God suddenly did not seem so ridiculous. Some say that the cosmological argument is self-refuting. However, to be an atheist is to say that the universe is an uncaused cause. Atheists say that the Uncaused Cause (God) is incoherent but that the universe itself is an uncaused cause. I could not persist in agnosticism or atheism any longer. I cannot know if there is a God...but God seems to me to be much more reasonable than the alternative!

As for the evil in the world, let's just say I got over it and started trying to fight it with good. To refrain from the fight is cowardly. Acceptance is the answer to all of my life's problems. All evil is caused by human choice. (hurricanes, disease, etc. are not evil in the same way as murder. These are natural processes which are good.) Acceptance of evil in the world gave me the strength to begin to fight it. Sometimes our beliefs are a reflection of maturity and attitude. Often times maturity and attitude can affect whether we believe in God. Intellectual rigour and truth seeking are actions of mature men and women. Without these, maturity is impossible.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 4:52:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

To put it simply, there is no convincing self evident reason to convert. To expound it is impossible to know the mind of God. Every religion says they are right, that they know, they all say the others are wrong. But no religion provides evidence to prove themselves right and the others wrong.
mrsatan
Posts: 429
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:26:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

I don't recall ever having actually believed in God. I was raised Christian, going to church every Sunday, and church school every Tuesday. When I was young, I just didn't really care and thought it was a waste of time. As I got older, I decided it most certainly was a waste of time. Fortunately, my parents gave me the choice of whether or not to continue attending, and so I stopped.

Essentially, I am an atheist because I found the Christian faith less than compelling. I've thought about studying up on some other religions, but I expect that would be a waste of time as well.

Ultimately, I figure if God does exist (which I see as a possibility), and if He actually cares whether or not I believe in Him (which I highly doubt), then He would give me reason to believe.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:46:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist?
Because I realized that there isn't any objective evidence of a god, and if a god is to affect the physical, it would leave physical evidence.

What convinced you to be an atheist?
The same thing that convinces most theists that fairies, Leprechauns, mermaids, gremlins and Santa Claus don't exist... a complete lack of objective evidence.

Have you always been an atheist?
No. I was raised a theist and was a devout theist for 33-years.

If not, what changed your mind?
I began comparing the claims of theism to what reality had to offer and realized that the two were horribly mis-matched.

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 5:57:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 4:25:28 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

I grew up in an atheist family and got to know how they think. I became a christian and also got to know how they think.
I studied the bible and came to the conclusion that God is a personification of Life not some invisible father figure in the sky. I believe in God as Life but that does not make me a Christian or an atheist.

I have been labelled as an atheist by Christians but I do not consider myself to be an atheist.
I have been labelled as a Christian by atheists but I also no longer consider myself to be a Christian.

I simply do not believe in any invisible supernatural characters. All of them are mythical in my perception. That perception in the mind of Christians somehow causes them to label unbelievers in all invisible mythical characters as atheists.

I believe God is a concept which obviously exists in this world. That does not mean I believe the invisible character exists.
The concept of Santa also exists. I understand the concept but I do not believe in the invisible character. The same applies to God.

I think all atheists understand the concept of being kind and loving to other living things but they can manage to do that without believing in any supernatural characters.

No person needs to be convinced to be an atheist. People need to be convinced to believe in invisible supernatural beings and be convinced that when they talk to the invisible beings, those beings actually take some notice of them.
It is a bit like being convinced that when you write a letter to Santa, Santa actually gets it and reads it.

I think it is a childish way of thinking.

A belief in a concept of God is different to a belief in the invisible person called God.

That's very interesting, thank you. :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:00:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 4:26:52 PM, Double_R wrote:
Atheism is the default position, we all begin life lacking belief in any theistic Gods until eventually we are taught to believe in them.

Although never religious and always open to the unlimited possibilities out there... I was always a believer. The school of Christianity that I was taught included us going to hell if we didn't believe, and looking back at it I think the fear of that is what always kept me from taking interest in religious debates. Eventually after spending enough time on this site I began to realize just how absurd the whole notion was for an all loving God to create us knowing full well that we would sin, then send us to hell for all eternity when we did. It was so absurd that my mind was finally opened to learn more and take part in these discussions, which has lead me to being very comfortable with my position now as an atheist.

So, you felt that atheism makes the most sense?
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:02:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 4:38:41 PM, tabularasa wrote:
I am Christian, but I used to be an atheist. The agnostic argument concludes that we cannot know whether or not God exists with absolute certainty. People can choose to believe either way, but neither the theist nor the atheist can know whether God exists with 100% absolute certainty. I started as an agnostic, and my attitude toward the world caused me to shift toward atheism. I became very aware of evil and injustice in the world, and decided that God should not allow evil to exist in the way that it does. Yet, evil exists. I was angry about this. I chose to look at the world and see only evil and injustice and disorder. Certainly much of this does exist in the world.

But this is only half of the story. In order to be a "religious" person, one must change his life. This disgusted me. "I am who I am," I thought. "Who can tell me that I have to refrain from sex, drugs, drinking, and other so-called 'sins'." Growing up, I remember people saying that "sinners" go to hell. This also disgusted me. So I lived how I wanted to live, and did whatever I wanted to do. Then my life became hell. I had always been unhappy, but my self-serving life style took my unhappiness to a new low. I was in love with Hume and Nietzsche. I lived their philosophies as a personal experiment. The experiment failed. I was a wanna-be obermensch, self-worshipping to the core. I didn't want to change my life. Change, as I would soon learn, is not such a bad thing.

As an atheist, I always knew that the argument for God was fairly compelling. I understood it. I thought it to be imperfect, but could see its merits. I was, at my core, more interested in believing what is true rather than what I wanted to be true.

I drifted back into agnosticism. This was the most honest argument epistemically. I will always respect agnostics because of this. Indeed, I will always respect atheists. But I want answers. Agnosticism was not satisfactory for me. I perused the arguments for and against God's existence. I could not justify that a finite universe could be self-creating. I thought that an uncaused cause was difficult to swallow. However, unless the universe is capable of self-creation, it could not bring itself into existence. I believed that the universe was an uncaused cause for years. But causation would demand that a finite physical system have a cause just big enough to bring it into existence. And likewise, this cause must have another slightly bigger cause. The regress began, and it "ends in infinity."

There is also the problem of existence. Why do things exist? The only answer in my mind is that something capable of bringing them into existence must have created them. God suddenly did not seem so ridiculous. Some say that the cosmological argument is self-refuting. However, to be an atheist is to say that the universe is an uncaused cause. Atheists say that the Uncaused Cause (God) is incoherent but that the universe itself is an uncaused cause. I could not persist in agnosticism or atheism any longer. I cannot know if there is a God...but God seems to me to be much more reasonable than the alternative!

As for the evil in the world, let's just say I got over it and started trying to fight it with good. To refrain from the fight is cowardly. Acceptance is the answer to all of my life's problems. All evil is caused by human choice. (hurricanes, disease, etc. are not evil in the same way as murder. These are natural processes which are good.) Acceptance of evil in the world gave me the strength to begin to fight it. Sometimes our beliefs are a reflection of maturity and attitude. Often times maturity and attitude can affect whether we believe in God. Intellectual rigour and truth seeking are actions of mature men and women. Without these, maturity is impossible.

That's really interesting how you've been to both sides of the spectrum.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:03:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 4:52:23 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

To put it simply, there is no convincing self evident reason to convert. To expound it is impossible to know the mind of God. Every religion says they are right, that they know, they all say the others are wrong. But no religion provides evidence to prove themselves right and the others wrong.

Very interesting observation. I have also noticed everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:04:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 5:26:59 PM, mrsatan wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

I don't recall ever having actually believed in God. I was raised Christian, going to church every Sunday, and church school every Tuesday. When I was young, I just didn't really care and thought it was a waste of time. As I got older, I decided it most certainly was a waste of time. Fortunately, my parents gave me the choice of whether or not to continue attending, and so I stopped.

Essentially, I am an atheist because I found the Christian faith less than compelling. I've thought about studying up on some other religions, but I expect that would be a waste of time as well.

Ultimately, I figure if God does exist (which I see as a possibility), and if He actually cares whether or not I believe in Him (which I highly doubt), then He would give me reason to believe.

What reasons are you looking for?

I'm not looking to convert you, I'm interested to see what reasons are good enough.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:07:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 5:46:13 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist?
Because I realized that there isn't any objective evidence of a god, and if a god is to affect the physical, it would leave physical evidence.
Makes sense.

What convinced you to be an atheist?
The same thing that convinces most theists that fairies, Leprechauns, mermaids, gremlins and Santa Claus don't exist... a complete lack of objective evidence.
What do you mean by objective?

Have you always been an atheist?
No. I was raised a theist and was a devout theist for 33-years.
Interesting.

If not, what changed your mind?
I began comparing the claims of theism to what reality had to offer and realized that the two were horribly mis-matched.
How are they mis-matched? I'm a bit confused, sorry.

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:07:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

I used to be a theist, however I saw that there was no proof of his existence. I also saw other people with different beliefs and wondered if my beliefs were really the correct ones.
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:09:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:07:15 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

I used to be a theist, however I saw that there was no proof of his existence. I also saw other people with different beliefs and wondered if my beliefs were really the correct ones.

I see. That makes sense.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:12:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:00:29 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 4:26:52 PM, Double_R wrote:
Atheism is the default position, we all begin life lacking belief in any theistic Gods until eventually we are taught to believe in them.

Although never religious and always open to the unlimited possibilities out there... I was always a believer. The school of Christianity that I was taught included us going to hell if we didn't believe, and looking back at it I think the fear of that is what always kept me from taking interest in religious debates. Eventually after spending enough time on this site I began to realize just how absurd the whole notion was for an all loving God to create us knowing full well that we would sin, then send us to hell for all eternity when we did. It was so absurd that my mind was finally opened to learn more and take part in these discussions, which has lead me to being very comfortable with my position now as an atheist.

So, you felt that atheism makes the most sense?

Atheism can not "make sense" because it is not a conclusion. You don't chose to become an atheist, when you look at the evidence and arguments supporting the existence of God and realize that none of it justifies the belief... atheism is simply what follows.

Some have reached the conclusion that God does not exist, but that is a step further. That belief fits into atheism, it does not define it.
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:15:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:12:21 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 12/20/2014 6:00:29 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 4:26:52 PM, Double_R wrote:
Atheism is the default position, we all begin life lacking belief in any theistic Gods until eventually we are taught to believe in them.

Although never religious and always open to the unlimited possibilities out there... I was always a believer. The school of Christianity that I was taught included us going to hell if we didn't believe, and looking back at it I think the fear of that is what always kept me from taking interest in religious debates. Eventually after spending enough time on this site I began to realize just how absurd the whole notion was for an all loving God to create us knowing full well that we would sin, then send us to hell for all eternity when we did. It was so absurd that my mind was finally opened to learn more and take part in these discussions, which has lead me to being very comfortable with my position now as an atheist.

So, you felt that atheism makes the most sense?

Atheism can not "make sense" because it is not a conclusion. You don't chose to become an atheist, when you look at the evidence and arguments supporting the existence of God and realize that none of it justifies the belief... atheism is simply what follows.

Some have reached the conclusion that God does not exist, but that is a step further. That belief fits into atheism, it does not define it.

Interesting. I had never thought of it that way before.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:25:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:07:15 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 5:46:13 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist?
Because I realized that there isn't any objective evidence of a god, and if a god is to affect the physical, it would leave physical evidence.
Makes sense.

What convinced you to be an atheist?
The same thing that convinces most theists that fairies, Leprechauns, mermaids, gremlins and Santa Claus don't exist... a complete lack of objective evidence.
What do you mean by objective?
I guess I should stop being amazed that so many people don't seem to grasp the difference between "objective" and "subjective. Objective evidence is the nature of evidence required by science.

Objective, adj. "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts"

Have you always been an atheist?
No. I was raised a theist and was a devout theist for 33-years.
Interesting.

If not, what changed your mind?
I began comparing the claims of theism to what reality had to offer and realized that the two were horribly mis-matched.
How are they mis-matched? I'm a bit confused, sorry.
Isn't God suggested to be intelligent and benevolent... even "perfect"? Do you see perfection anywhere? Do you see an innate benevolence in the universe? If a hospital collapses, does the collapse of the structure show favoritism for the hospitalized infant victim of rape, over the rapist who is hospitalized after resisting police in the same building? A falling beam doesn't care whether it crushes an "evil" child rapist or the child that was raped. Purely horrific things happen to people quite frequently, even as the result of "acts of God" (acts of nature). Is the universe supposed to be God's provision for life? Why is 99.999% of the known universe nearly instantly fatal to all known forms of life?
Everything points to non-intelligent natural processes (big-bang, chaos theory, abiogenesis, evolution, etc.), and none of them point to an intellectual process, nor do they exhibit decision making.

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)
From a logical perspective, the far more appropriate question would be; why the heck would you believe in a god?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:36:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:25:52 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 6:07:15 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 5:46:13 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist?
Because I realized that there isn't any objective evidence of a god, and if a god is to affect the physical, it would leave physical evidence.
Makes sense.

What convinced you to be an atheist?
The same thing that convinces most theists that fairies, Leprechauns, mermaids, gremlins and Santa Claus don't exist... a complete lack of objective evidence.
What do you mean by objective?
I guess I should stop being amazed that so many people don't seem to grasp the difference between "objective" and "subjective. Objective evidence is the nature of evidence required by science.

Objective, adj. "not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts"
Thank you for explaining. :)

Have you always been an atheist?
No. I was raised a theist and was a devout theist for 33-years.
Interesting.

If not, what changed your mind?
I began comparing the claims of theism to what reality had to offer and realized that the two were horribly mis-matched.
How are they mis-matched? I'm a bit confused, sorry.
Isn't God suggested to be intelligent and benevolent... even "perfect"? Do you see perfection anywhere? Do you see an innate benevolence in the universe? If a hospital collapses, does the collapse of the structure show favoritism for the hospitalized infant victim of rape, over the rapist who is hospitalized after resisting police in the same building? A falling beam doesn't care whether it crushes an "evil" child rapist or the child that was raped. Purely horrific things happen to people quite frequently, even as the result of "acts of God" (acts of nature). Is the universe supposed to be God's provision for life? Why is 99.999% of the known universe nearly instantly fatal to all known forms of life?

So, just to make sure I got this straight:
If God existed, he would stop all bad and horrific things because he is supposed to be good. But we see these bad things and so God must not exist.

Right?
Everything points to non-intelligent natural processes (big-bang, chaos theory, abiogenesis, evolution, etc.), and none of them point to an intellectual process, nor do they exhibit decision making.

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)
From a logical perspective, the far more appropriate question would be; why the heck would you believe in a god?

Yes, that is a good question, but since I am a theist, I know what I think. I like to hear other people's opinions more.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:51:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:36:32 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 6:25:52 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 6:07:15 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 5:46:13 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

If not, what changed your mind?
I began comparing the claims of theism to what reality had to offer and realized that the two were horribly mis-matched.
How are they mis-matched? I'm a bit confused, sorry.
Isn't God suggested to be intelligent and benevolent... even "perfect"? Do you see perfection anywhere? Do you see an innate benevolence in the universe? If a hospital collapses, does the collapse of the structure show favoritism for the hospitalized infant victim of rape, over the rapist who is hospitalized after resisting police in the same building? A falling beam doesn't care whether it crushes an "evil" child rapist or the child that was raped. Purely horrific things happen to people quite frequently, even as the result of "acts of God" (acts of nature). Is the universe supposed to be God's provision for life? Why is 99.999% of the known universe nearly instantly fatal to all known forms of life?

So, just to make sure I got this straight:
If God existed, he would stop all bad and horrific things because he is supposed to be good. But we see these bad things and so God must not exist.

Right?
You're trying to re-write what I said. Where did I even imply "all"? The fact is, we have absolutely NO evidence for benevolence in the universe, aside from that from living creatures. But the universe which is claimed to be the work of an omniscient, omnipotent and benevolent force, demonstrates no intelligence, no benevolence and no consciousness.

Everything points to non-intelligent natural processes (big-bang, chaos theory, abiogenesis, evolution, etc.), and none of them point to an intellectual process, nor do they exhibit decision making.

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)
From a logical perspective, the far more appropriate question would be; why the heck would you believe in a god?

Yes, that is a good question, but since I am a theist, I know what I think. I like to hear other people's opinions more.
The question would be; do you know why you believe it? It's clear that many people believe many false, and even absurd things. But the interesting question is, why? You have no more evidence of God than I have. And yet you believe in God. Do you have evidence for fairies, or is the lack of evidence for fairies the reason you conclude that they don't exist?
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:52:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:03:17 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 4:52:23 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

To put it simply, there is no convincing self evident reason to convert. To expound it is impossible to know the mind of God. Every religion says they are right, that they know, they all say the others are wrong. But no religion provides evidence to prove themselves right and the others wrong.

Very interesting observation. I have also noticed everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Yep and w/o evidence it's all BS. That's why it's best to say there is no evidence for God so there's no need to believe.
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:54:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:51:41 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 6:36:32 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 6:25:52 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 6:07:15 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 5:46:13 PM, Beastt wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

If not, what changed your mind?
I began comparing the claims of theism to what reality had to offer and realized that the two were horribly mis-matched.
How are they mis-matched? I'm a bit confused, sorry.
Isn't God suggested to be intelligent and benevolent... even "perfect"? Do you see perfection anywhere? Do you see an innate benevolence in the universe? If a hospital collapses, does the collapse of the structure show favoritism for the hospitalized infant victim of rape, over the rapist who is hospitalized after resisting police in the same building? A falling beam doesn't care whether it crushes an "evil" child rapist or the child that was raped. Purely horrific things happen to people quite frequently, even as the result of "acts of God" (acts of nature). Is the universe supposed to be God's provision for life? Why is 99.999% of the known universe nearly instantly fatal to all known forms of life?

So, just to make sure I got this straight:
If God existed, he would stop all bad and horrific things because he is supposed to be good. But we see these bad things and so God must not exist.

Right?
You're trying to re-write what I said. Where did I even imply "all"? The fact is, we have absolutely NO evidence for benevolence in the universe, aside from that from living creatures. But the universe which is claimed to be the work of an omniscient, omnipotent and benevolent force, demonstrates no intelligence, no benevolence and no consciousness.

I'm sorry I didn't understand the first time. Thank you for clarifying. :)

Everything points to non-intelligent natural processes (big-bang, chaos theory, abiogenesis, evolution, etc.), and none of them point to an intellectual process, nor do they exhibit decision making.

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)
From a logical perspective, the far more appropriate question would be; why the heck would you believe in a god?

Yes, that is a good question, but since I am a theist, I know what I think. I like to hear other people's opinions more.
The question would be; do you know why you believe it? It's clear that many people believe many false, and even absurd things. But the interesting question is, why? You have no more evidence of God than I have. And yet you believe in God. Do you have evidence for fairies, or is the lack of evidence for fairies the reason you conclude that they don't exist?
I appreciate that you are interested in hearing my reasons, but I'd rather not get into an argument about this. I was just interested in hearing other people's opinions. :)
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
mishapqueen
Posts: 3,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 6:55:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 6:52:44 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/20/2014 6:03:17 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
At 12/20/2014 4:52:23 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist? What convinced you to be an atheist? Have you always been an atheist? If not, what changed your mind?

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)

To put it simply, there is no convincing self evident reason to convert. To expound it is impossible to know the mind of God. Every religion says they are right, that they know, they all say the others are wrong. But no religion provides evidence to prove themselves right and the others wrong.

Very interesting observation. I have also noticed everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Yep and w/o evidence it's all BS. That's why it's best to say there is no evidence for God so there's no need to believe.

I see. Thank you for explaining. :D
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
SNP1
Posts: 2,407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 11:20:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2014 3:48:38 PM, mishapqueen wrote:
Hi, I haven't been in this forum for awhile because I don't like fights, so please don't think I'm asking this to attack anyone.

I like to know why people do things, so I can understand where they are coming from.

My question for the atheists here is:

Why are you an atheist?

I see no evidence that there is a god, and I see pretty good arguments for why there probably isn't one.

What convinced you to be an atheist?

Started when I started learning science. When I got into history, and saw the history of religions, it made me doubt more. The more I got into science and history, the more I started to doubt there was a god.

Have you always been an atheist?

No

If not, what changed your mind?

Answered above.

I look forward to some thought provoking responses. :)
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO