"GOD is not dead?" (movie)

Juris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 9:54:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Student(theist): why do you hate God?

Professor(atheist): because he took everything away from me...

Student: if you do not believe in something, why do you hate him?

----> an atheist is someone who does not believe in God, he neither loves or hates him.

in the movie, the student relies on the error of the answer given by the professor, but it does not prove anything. (you might say that it does not prove either that GOd does not exists---well, the burden of proof lies to those who believe)

by analogy, theists use the same logic in proving God.
EXAMPLE: Science cannot still find an answer to the origin of the universe and life, so it must be God who created them.

----> so if there is still no answer to something, it must automatically be GOD?
what is your proof?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 9:58:44 PM
At 12/20/2014 9:54:22 PM, Juris wrote:

----> an atheist is someone who does not believe in God, he neither loves or hates him.

in the movie, the student relies on the error of the answer given by the professor, but it does not prove anything. (you might say that it does not prove either that GOd does not exists---well, the burden of proof lies to those who believe)

EXAMPLE: Science cannot still find an answer to the origin of the universe and life, so it must be God who created them.

----> so if there is still no answer to something, it must automatically be GOD?
what is your proof?

There was already one long discussion about this some time ago, but the upshoot is that it's a movie. It's supposed to be dramatic, not academic. I've seen lots of zombies in movies lately, and the funny thing is that a lot of people are now starting to believe they are real. :)
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:15:27 PM
At 12/20/2014 10:06:40 PM, XLAV wrote:
Stupid movie.

Yeah, I agree. It is a big pet peeve of mine when people, either atheists or Christians, quote this Nietzsche line with absolutely no comprehension of what he is actually saying. I had low expectations to begin with, and they were far from met.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 10:40:01 PM

what is your proof?

As a Christian, I had really high hopes for this movie due to it's claims. I was utterly disappointed since it was nothing new or fresh. Just recycled arguments that Pure Flix took from a creationist's recycling bin and attached it to their movie. It also labels atheists or liberals as one. Like all atheists are liberals or all liberals are atheists. I had a feeling Ann Coulter helped made this movie.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 11:06:07 PM
Honestly, I think minority groups should be upset. I missed the last 15 minutes of the film, but let me say why.

1. The Muslim family. It shows them to be somewhat flippant about their religion, sneaky, or abusive.

2. The Chinese student. It misrepresents the Asian community. Seriously, the only asian was one chinese student (keep in mind that this was supposed to be a decent college. Asian student populations are pretty high at any coastal school and any good school that isn't religious) that had no understanding of religion.

3. I might have missed a black character, but the one black character had to be overly nice about everything, was native african, and had an accent. In a sense, he was an anti-stereotype, an attempt at having a character that was so anti-stereotypical that it becomes a stereotype.

4. Atheists. Obviously. I don't know what I have to say. If you watched the movie, than you know what I mean.

5. Christians. It makes you look ignorant of other cultures. Stupid. It makes you all seem like you have no confidence in your faith, and you need to massively project it onto everyone. It makes you seem horrible, that you would call the death of an innocent, if perhaps somewhat mean-spirited person, a miracle or a good event to any degree. And if anyone was intelligent or critically minded, they would come out of the film with a worse opinion of Christians.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2014 11:40:55 PM

what is your proof?

I like how at the very end when the prof had repented and started to believe again as he was running to patch things up with his wife God kills him. lol too good.
Juris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 5:42:52 AM
At 12/20/2014 9:58:44 PM, Idealist wrote:

what is your proof?

There was already one long discussion about this some time ago, but the upshoot is that it's a movie. It's supposed to be dramatic, not academic. I've seen lots of zombies in movies lately, and the funny thing is that a lot of people are now starting to believe they are real. :)

in the movies they were using scientific arguments from known people and those were real..

i posted this because a friend of mine thought that the movie would make me a theist because of the arguments.. well, the arguments of the student is hilarious..
Juris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 5:43:23 AM

what is your proof?

in the movie they were using scientific arguments from known people and those were real..

i posted this because a friend of mine thought that the movie would make me a theist because of the arguments.. well, the arguments of the student is hilarious..
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:41:38 AM

what is your proof?

Most of these types of movies play on caricatures of people who are atheist for weak reasons. I have always wondered why don't they have films with hard atheists.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:57:57 PM
At 12/21/2014 5:42:52 AM, Juris wrote:

what is your proof?

in the movies they were using scientific arguments from known people and those were real..

Some are, some aren't. The truths of nearly every subject are found toward the middle. Extremists almost never get it right, no matter which extreme they lean to.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:05:48 PM
The last act and insane number of storylines ruined this movie for me - it tried to do way too much and suffered for it. It should have focused on the student and professor exclusively - I think both were fairly compelling characters. I felt geuine sympathy for both plights. I think the movie should have not attempted to 'convert' the professor - the plot is about a student standing up for himself. A religious conversion for such a hardened atheist is unbelievable and strays outside the ideal conflict.