Jump to topic:

Mechanical translation of the Genesis.

Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:48:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Jeff A. Benner has been a real inspiration and help in my study of ancient languages. I do not agree with all of his translations. I do not agree with all of his rewording for English consumption.

But what I do enjoy his work has opened up some of the deepest layers of onion peels we see in the Hebrew text.

This is the mechanical translation of Genesis. It is actually very light on his personal interpretation. Focusing more on the actual words and their roots.
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org...

His Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com...

Surprisingly for not being a Jew, his understanding of Genesis and other biblical works often mirrors some traditional Jewish midrash and thinking.

And he puts into words the cultural mindset of the bible better than I could. Referring to a dichotomy of "abstract thought" from Greek influence and the "concrete thought" of ancient Hebrew.

Following is a midrash on Genesis by Jewish rabbis.
http://www.sacred-texts.com...

For me the conclusion is Genesis is written like a Love poem to someone who likes numerology a lot.
Beastt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 12:59:02 AM
At 12/21/2014 12:48:24 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Jeff A. Benner has been a real inspiration and help in my study of ancient languages. I do not agree with all of his translations. I do not agree with all of his rewording for English consumption.

But what I do enjoy his work has opened up some of the deepest layers of onion peels we see in the Hebrew text.

This is the mechanical translation of Genesis. It is actually very light on his personal interpretation. Focusing more on the actual words and their roots.

His Youtube channel

Surprisingly for not being a Jew, his understanding of Genesis and other biblical works often mirrors some traditional Jewish midrash and thinking.

And he puts into words the cultural mindset of the bible better than I could. Referring to a dichotomy of "abstract thought" from Greek influence and the "concrete thought" of ancient Hebrew.

For me the conclusion is Genesis is written like a Love poem to someone who likes numerology a lot.

And the very first verse shows that Genesis is wrong. It's already talking about sky and land, neither of which existed until hundreds of thousands of years after big-bang.

So he confirms that Genesis is, not just wrong, but horrendously wrong.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:03:25 AM
At 12/21/2014 12:59:02 AM, Beastt wrote:

His Youtube channel

And the very first verse shows that Genesis is wrong. It's already talking about sky and land, neither of which existed until hundreds of thousands of years after big-bang.

And the first line of the Midrash of Genesis: THE BERESHITH

Says: It is forbidden to inquire what existed before creation, as Moses distinctly tells us (Deut. iv. 32): "Ask now of the days that are past which were before thee, since the day God created man upon earth." Thus the scope of inquiry is limited to the time since the Creation.

It is not a Literal scientific chronological ordering of events. Genesis is not a cake recipe of creation. It is poetry about god's power and where human beings fit in.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 2:54:44 AM
At 12/21/2014 1:03:25 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

His Youtube channel

Says: It is forbidden to inquire what existed before creation, as Moses distinctly tells us (Deut. iv. 32): "Ask now of the days that are past which were before thee, since the day God created man upon earth." Thus the scope of inquiry is limited to the time since the Creation.

It is not a Literal scientific chronological ordering of events. Genesis is not a cake recipe of creation. It is poetry about god's power and where human beings fit in.

Then it probably shouldn't be billed as a 'creation' story. The problem starts from where allegory leaves off, and literal translation begin.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 4:04:36 AM
Hahahaha

What a pathetic excuse.
Genesis is perfectly true as long as you don't believe what is written.
Fundamental christianity 101.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:42:15 PM
At 12/21/2014 4:04:36 AM, bulproof wrote:
Hahahaha

What a pathetic excuse.
Genesis is perfectly true as long as you don't believe what is written.
Fundamental christianity 101.

Here is a better link to the Midrash Genesis: http://archive.org...

So I linked to the midrash Genesis Rabba written in 444 a.d.

So in 444 a jewish rabbi wrote, "Other worlds were created and destroyed ere this present one was decided on as a permanent one" because he was trying to make it match with what modern day science says.

Becuase in 444 the jewish rabbi writes: "In the begannning God created the heavens", but it is not explained how. Where then is it explained? Elsewhere: "That stretched out the heavens as a curtain"
He obviously only wrote this to make the Ancient verses relate to modern day science of an expanding universe. Another description says it the heavens are pounded out like brass.

We often understand complex 3d shapes by describing them in 2d terms.

And then "And the Earth" which is likewise not explained. Where is it explained? Elsehwere: "For He saith to the snow: Fall thou on the Earth"

In 444 he said this to make Genesis sound like the modern day scientific theory of earth being made through the accumulation of dust.

AND Then the 444 a.d. midrash says that the reckoning of time states there were worlds before this one. That if these were 24 hour days, the language would be first second third... BUT they are not. The wording is one, second, third. (pg 25)

That the values are to denote ranking. that one day is the greatest day. This even alludes to the events NOT being chronological by ordered by value.

Yeah the Jewish rabbis in 444a.d. held this view NOT from READING GENESIS but from trying to make their holy book agree with 19th century Science.

Keep with your straw man scientific literal chronological event "Interpretation" of Genesis. Any arguments proceeding from a position that it is anything other than poetic is FALLACIOUS and in complete ERROR.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 1:44:54 PM
At 12/21/2014 2:54:44 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

His Youtube channel

Then it probably shouldn't be billed as a 'creation' story. The problem starts from where allegory leaves off, and literal translation begin.

It's still a creation story. I didn't realize the first link of the Midrash is incomplete and a modern translation.

http://archive.org...

Is a better link. If you read that you will see the way some Jews interpreted Genesis in the mid 400's

It is God creating, separating, filling.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:13:13 PM
At 12/21/2014 1:44:54 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

The interesting thing is that the mechanical translations says....
"in the summit "Elohiym [Powers]" fattened the sky and the land,"

The word "Elohiym" translated as "God" actually refers to 'Powers" or "the powers that be"
Which makes God a physical power not a supernatural entity.
You could easily replace the word Powers (Elohiym) with the word Energy.

The whole concept of physical powers creating, separating, filling, can be seen in progress even today.

The whole universe works on that principle.

"Fattening" the sky and land implies growth. It also implies sky (space) and land existed before it was "fattened"

The concept of things existing before they became visible (or fattened) is also conveyed in Gen 2:4-5 ............... in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew:

It fits perfectly with the concept of conservation of energy in which all things exist in an "invisible aspect" of energy before they appear in the "visible aspect" of energy.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:27:44 PM

It's still a creation story. I didn't realize the first link of the Midrash is incomplete and a modern translation.

If you compare it to John 1:1-5 It puts a whole new light on the subject of "creation" because verse 5 is talking about darkness not comprehending the light.
"And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

In that case any original light is not talking about physical light but referring to revelation.
The darkness is the lack of revelation which obviously does not comprehend the revelation.

The lack of comprehension (darkness) plus the comprehension ( revelation, Light) make up the whole day ( revelation, Light)

That would imply the "days" in Genesis have nothing to do with time but everything to do with revelation.
It would also mean the story has nothing to do with the physical creation of the universe but has everything to do with the creation of revelation, comprehension, understanding, wisdom, knowledge, etc.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:48:16 PM
At 12/21/2014 6:13:13 PM, Skyangel wrote:

The word "Elohiym" translated as "God" actually refers to 'Powers" or "the powers that be"

The whole concept of physical powers creating, separating, filling, can be seen in progress even today.

"Fattening" the sky and land implies growth. It also implies sky (space) and land existed before it was "fattened"

The concept of things existing before they became visible (or fattened) is also conveyed in Gen 2:4-5 ............... in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew:

It fits perfectly with the concept of conservation of energy in which all things exist in an "invisible aspect" of energy before they appear in the "visible aspect" of energy.

Well on a quantum level particles have probability waves and their actual existence under observation is the collapse of that wave. One could say they are "invisible" till this collapse.

In the new testament it is said we wrestle against powers and principalities. In your view you could see this as a Man against Nature conflict.

Jeff A. Benner explains some of his thoughts on eloyhim here: http://www.ancient-hebrew.org...

Now these "Powers" made man in their image. Is mankind like a force of nature? This is why powers, a word denoting authority, is better in my opinion and not that God is an impersonal non-mind being.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:56:14 PM
At 12/21/2014 6:27:44 PM, Skyangel wrote:

If you compare it to John 1:1-5 It puts a whole new light on the subject of "creation" because verse 5 is talking about darkness not comprehending the light.

In that case any original light is not talking about physical light but referring to revelation.
The darkness is the lack of revelation which obviously does not comprehend the revelation.

The lack of comprehension (darkness) plus the comprehension ( revelation, Light) make up the whole day ( revelation, Light)

That would imply the "days" in Genesis have nothing to do with time but everything to do with revelation.
It would also mean the story has nothing to do with the physical creation of the universe but has everything to do with the creation of revelation, comprehension, understanding, wisdom, knowledge, etc.

that kind of spin is discussed in the 444a.d. Midrash Genesis Rabba. It says light is mentioned 5 times. And they relate to the books of Moses. but light is definitely used as a synonym for revelation, truth, God's plan. Around page 24. And God called the light day, the deeds of the righteous. And there was Evening, the deeds of the wicked.

I think you will find the created in thought before being actually created is written on page 6.

You might find the Midrash an interesting read Sky.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:43:39 PM
I thought Bulpoop or Beastt would have an explaination for the Jewish writings of rabbis in 444 expressing the days as non-chronological and that they interpreted the Torah and Talmud as saying the heavens are a growing expanse and that the Earth was formed by the accumulation of snow. which snow is what? dust covered in ice.

This all sounds like the Jewish Rabbis were trying to interpret their Holy book as agreeing with modern science. But oh that's right this was written in 444 from an even older oral tradition some 2000 years before such theories about the formation of the universe was even suggested by the scientific community.

But I guess their idea that Genesis is a literal chronological historical list of events is wrong. If long before these ideas (like the biog bang and planet formation) were being espoused as coming from the inspired word of God.

but it's a newer invention to think genesis is historical instead of poetry.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 1:18:54 AM
At 12/21/2014 10:43:39 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
I thought Bulpoop or Beastt would have an explaination for the Jewish writings of rabbis in 444 expressing the days as non-chronological and that they interpreted the Torah and Talmud as saying the heavens are a growing expanse and that the Earth was formed by the accumulation of snow. which snow is what? dust covered in ice.

This all sounds like the Jewish Rabbis were trying to interpret their Holy book as agreeing with modern science. But oh that's right this was written in 444 from an even older oral tradition some 2000 years before such theories about the formation of the universe was even suggested by the scientific community.

But I guess their idea that Genesis is a literal chronological historical list of events is wrong. If long before these ideas (like the biog bang and planet formation) were being espoused as coming from the inspired word of God.

but it's a newer invention to think genesis is historical instead of poetry.

That's what I said. If you alter the meaning of the words in genesis, so that it means something completely different then it is absolutely true.
Good luck with that.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 2:08:07 AM
At 12/21/2014 6:48:16 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/21/2014 6:13:13 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Well on a quantum level particles have probability waves and their actual existence under observation is the collapse of that wave. One could say they are "invisible" till this collapse.

In the new testament it is said we wrestle against powers and principalities. In your view you could see this as a Man against Nature conflict.

I see it as man against his own nature. It is that inner conflict where the "good nature"( God) within them is fighting against the "rebellious nature"( devil) within them. It's like the cartoon which depicts the devil on one shoulder whispering into one ear and the angel on the other shoulder whispering into the other ear. Ultimately the one who wins is the one you give in to.

Jeff A. Benner explains some of his thoughts on eloyhim here: http://www.ancient-hebrew.org...

What I gather from his words is the concept that God represents all authority figures of the past not some individual supernatural entity.

Now these "Powers" made man in their image. Is mankind like a force of nature? This is why powers, a word denoting authority, is better in my opinion and not that God is an impersonal non-mind being.

In the sense of being energy, we are indeed like a force of nature. The more of us that work together the greater the force we create.
If we are made in the image of anything we are made in the image of the human authorities before us. We are natural beings not supernatural beings. If we were created in the image of a supernatural being or beings we would all be supernatural beings capable of doing the same supernatural things that any supernatural creator can do.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 2:14:53 AM
At 12/21/2014 6:56:14 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/21/2014 6:27:44 PM, Skyangel wrote:

that kind of spin is discussed in the 444a.d. Midrash Genesis Rabba. It says light is mentioned 5 times. And they relate to the books of Moses. but light is definitely used as a synonym for revelation, truth, God's plan. Around page 24. And God called the light day, the deeds of the righteous. And there was Evening, the deeds of the wicked.

I think you will find the created in thought before being actually created is written on page 6.

You might find the Midrash an interesting read Sky.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely read it.

The concept of creating things in the mind before it is created in reality is a principle and process we all use. We first imagine something, then we design it on paper and then create it in reality. It seems normal and logical enough to me. Nothing mysterious or magical about that.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 8:51:02 AM

His Youtube channel

The religious Jews didn't know who God was either. Only us saints and prophets got to know our Creator during this first age because He used us to testify to His knowledge. None of God's people understands the prophecies or how God created us but a few quantum physicists and cosmologists are getting close through their study of mathematics. However, they don't know that mathematics was designed by God to measure His illusions until man realized they were only illusions.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 6:05:30 PM
The Hebrew Poetic style uses reiteration and triplets to add weight to important concepts.

This can be seen in Genesis with the days of creation.

Day 1 Dividing the light from darkness... ...Day 4 Filling Heavens with lights.
Day 2 Separating the waters... ...Day 5 Filling the waters.
Day 3 Dividing oceans and land... ...Day 6 Filling the land and waters.

This can be seen in Psalms 119:105 - "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." The first part of this verse is paralleled with the second part. This verse is not saying two different things, rather, one thing in two different ways.

Proverbs 3:1 - "My son, do not forget my teaching, and keep my commands in your heart." Same meaning said differently.

In The Bereshith, A commentary by Jewish rabbi's in 444 a.d. We have..

Sayings like "In the beginning God created. Six things preceded the creation of the world; some of them were actually created, while the creation of the others was already contemplated." If Genesis was taken literally as a chronological history then HOW is it scholars said 6 things were made before Heaven and Earth???

Rabban Gamaliel I, died before 50 a.d. believed that God had created the world, but maintained (in the form of a question) that He had used primeval matter, which was
eternal. This was the concept he came to by meditating on the words "tohu" and "bohu". In 50 a.d. he must have been interpreting Genesis this way to conform to the 1 law of thermodynamics. (thermodynamics circa 1850).

Any Atheist that thinks an English chronological literal interpretation is "correct" is blatantly wrong.

And NONE of them have an answer to why First century Rabbis preaching from the Hebrew script in Hebrew saw it as a poetic story.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 8:30:46 PM
At 12/21/2014 1:42:15 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Keep with your straw man scientific literal chronological event "Interpretation" of Genesis. Any arguments proceeding from a position that it is anything other than poetic is FALLACIOUS and in complete ERROR.

That is how many of us look at all of scriptures, as poetic literature of that time not to be taken literally. Interesting, that you agree with that.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2015 8:46:36 PM
At 1/2/2015 8:30:46 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/21/2014 1:42:15 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

That is how many of us look at all of scriptures, as poetic literature of that time not to be taken literally. Interesting, that you agree with that.

"A good poem helps to change the shape and significance of the universe,
helps to extend everyone's knowledge of himself and the world around him."
Dylan Thomas

"After a certain high level of technical skill is achieved, science and art tend to coalesce in esthetics, plasticity, and form. The greatest scientists are artists as well. "
Albert Einstein