Total Posts:245|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I'm thinking about converting ...

tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:13:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I smell a set up.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:32:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org...

Church of Euthanasia
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:38:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:13:54 PM, tabularasa wrote:
I smell a set up.

Why would you think that? What's wrong with asking theists why they have the right religion over each other?
Rant
Posts: 1,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:39:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:40:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:32:27 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org...

Church of Euthanasia

"First Commandment: Thou shall not Procreate"

Is that a dig at me? lol
Rant
Posts: 1,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:48:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
massive leap of consciousness in which human beings begin to think of themselves, not as individuals belonging to races or nation-states, but as a species. This species awareness. > My friend read the tower of babel and nimrod, this happened 5000 years ago!. your old news trying to make it new. Enjoy
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:51:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:48:33 PM, Rant wrote:
massive leap of consciousness in which human beings begin to think of themselves, not as individuals belonging to races or nation-states, but as a species. This species awareness. > My friend read the tower of babel and nimrod, this happened 5000 years ago!. your old news trying to make it new. Enjoy

I don't know what you're getting at. What's wrong with being a united species? And why would God want to stop that?
bornofgod
Posts: 11,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:05:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:39:22 PM, Rant wrote:
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

All flesh will perish during this age and the invisible Word where we all exist as characters ( man, beasts, etc. ) will remain. In the New Heaven and Earth, man, beasts, etc. will get new flesh and live forever.

The "hell" that's written in the Bible is nothing but death of the flesh during this age.
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:18:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:38:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:54 PM, tabularasa wrote:
I smell a set up.

Why would you think that? What's wrong with asking theists why they have the right religion over each other?

Haha...okay...I will play along. Why are you thinking about converting?
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:39:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 10:18:52 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:38:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:54 PM, tabularasa wrote:
I smell a set up.

Why would you think that? What's wrong with asking theists why they have the right religion over each other?

Haha...okay...I will play along. Why are you thinking about converting?

Because all the arguments are so convincing. But all of the religions make the similar arguments so I can't tell which one to pick. That's why I'm asking the theists of DDO as to why their religion should be chosen over any other. After all, if i'm betting my eternal soul on a religion I want to make sure others have good reason to place their bets.
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:57:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
List on a scale of 1-10 how convincing you believe the arguments for each religion is. You may add some if you like.

1. Islam
2. Buddhism
3. Christianity
4. Judaism
5. Mormonism
6. Hindu varieties
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
That1User
Posts: 1,064
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:59:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 10:39:50 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:18:52 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:38:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:54 PM, tabularasa wrote:
I smell a set up.

Why would you think that? What's wrong with asking theists why they have the right religion over each other?

Haha...okay...I will play along. Why are you thinking about converting?

Because all the arguments are so convincing. But all of the religions make the similar arguments so I can't tell which one to pick. That's why I'm asking the theists of DDO as to why their religion should be chosen over any other. After all, if i'm betting my eternal soul on a religion I want to make sure others have good reason to place their bets.

You should convert to Christianity. Here's why:
1) Salvation and forgiveness. According to Christianity If one accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, then that person is forgiven of their sins. With this forgiveness, one can be free from guilt of their sins.

2)Morality: Christianity encourages to treat others the way you would like to be treated, as well to help others in their time of need. In fact, there are many Christian charities, such as the Salvation Army/

3) Second chances. Christiniaty offers an avenue to begin a new life, to start over and become a new and better person. In fact, a key concept of Christianity is spiritual rebirth, in which someone is cleansed of their sins and is encouraged to do good unto other people.

4) Community. Christianity is the largest religion in the World, with 2.4 billion followers. Sharing the same religion with people open up oppurtunities to know them, and with knowing them. Knowing people provides you with the oppurtunity of exchanging knowledge, ideas, and life long friendship. This describes a key component of Christianity, fellowship.

Essentially Christianity is about sharing a common belief in Christ and loving and helping others. Thus you should consider converting to Christianity.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:08:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 10:59:38 PM, That1User wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:39:50 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:18:52 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:38:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:54 PM, tabularasa wrote:
I smell a set up.

Why would you think that? What's wrong with asking theists why they have the right religion over each other?

Haha...okay...I will play along. Why are you thinking about converting?

Because all the arguments are so convincing. But all of the religions make the similar arguments so I can't tell which one to pick. That's why I'm asking the theists of DDO as to why their religion should be chosen over any other. After all, if i'm betting my eternal soul on a religion I want to make sure others have good reason to place their bets.

You should convert to Christianity. Here's why:
1) Salvation and forgiveness. According to Christianity If one accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, then that person is forgiven of their sins. With this forgiveness, one can be free from guilt of their sins.

2)Morality: Christianity encourages to treat others the way you would like to be treated, as well to help others in their time of need. In fact, there are many Christian charities, such as the Salvation Army/

3) Second chances. Christiniaty offers an avenue to begin a new life, to start over and become a new and better person. In fact, a key concept of Christianity is spiritual rebirth, in which someone is cleansed of their sins and is encouraged to do good unto other people.

4) Community. Christianity is the largest religion in the World, with 2.4 billion followers. Sharing the same religion with people open up oppurtunities to know them, and with knowing them. Knowing people provides you with the oppurtunity of exchanging knowledge, ideas, and life long friendship. This describes a key component of Christianity, fellowship.

Essentially Christianity is about sharing a common belief in Christ and loving and helping others. Thus you should consider converting to Christianity.

These are good reasons, but Islam also talks about salvation, morality, second chances and community. How do we know that Christ is the true path above the teachings of Mohamed?
That1User
Posts: 1,064
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:36:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 11:08:06 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:59:38 PM, That1User wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:39:50 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:18:52 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:38:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:54 PM, tabularasa wrote:
I smell a set up.

Why would you think that? What's wrong with asking theists why they have the right religion over each other?

Haha...okay...I will play along. Why are you thinking about converting?

Because all the arguments are so convincing. But all of the religions make the similar arguments so I can't tell which one to pick. That's why I'm asking the theists of DDO as to why their religion should be chosen over any other. After all, if i'm betting my eternal soul on a religion I want to make sure others have good reason to place their bets.

You should convert to Christianity. Here's why:
1) Salvation and forgiveness. According to Christianity If one accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, then that person is forgiven of their sins. With this forgiveness, one can be free from guilt of their sins.

2)Morality: Christianity encourages to treat others the way you would like to be treated, as well to help others in their time of need. In fact, there are many Christian charities, such as the Salvation Army/

3) Second chances. Christiniaty offers an avenue to begin a new life, to start over and become a new and better person. In fact, a key concept of Christianity is spiritual rebirth, in which someone is cleansed of their sins and is encouraged to do good unto other people.

4) Community. Christianity is the largest religion in the World, with 2.4 billion followers. Sharing the same religion with people open up oppurtunities to know them, and with knowing them. Knowing people provides you with the oppurtunity of exchanging knowledge, ideas, and life long friendship. This describes a key component of Christianity, fellowship.

Essentially Christianity is about sharing a common belief in Christ and loving and helping others. Thus you should consider converting to Christianity.

These are good reasons, but Islam also talks about salvation, morality, second chances and community. How do we know that Christ is the true path above the teachings of Mohamed?

Because Christianity offers someone a personal relationship with Jesus Christ while Islam does not. Christ also was a peaceful person who opened up to the poor and the sinful, while Mohamed was a violent person who conquered the Arabia.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:42:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:32:27 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org...

Church of Euthanasia

That's kind of a standard among all religions. But to avoid prosecution, they only euthanize the mind.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:44:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:39:22 PM, Rant wrote:
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Is there any particular reason you're posting ancient superstitious non-sense rather than responding to the thread? If you have nothing to add, perhaps you should add nothing.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire
That1User
Posts: 1,064
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:57:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 11:55:37 PM, uncung wrote:
choose islam.

Please present your case for Islam.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:00:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

Have you tried non-denominational Christianity?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:04:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:00:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

Have you tried non-denominational Christianity?

It's certainly possible, but the question is why that over another religion entirely?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:05:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:04:13 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:00:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

Have you tried non-denominational Christianity?

It's certainly possible, but the question is why that over another religion entirely?

I think that if you have a religion then you shouldn't be bound by any set of "rules" that try to control your life. Sure you can have a moral code like "thou shall not kill", but you shouldn't be having to be forced to do things you don't want to do that Christians make you do. Just believe in a God, have your morals, and voila.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:06:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2014 11:36:28 PM, That1User wrote:
At 12/21/2014 11:08:06 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:59:38 PM, That1User wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:39:50 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:18:52 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:38:03 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:54 PM, tabularasa wrote:
I smell a set up.

Why would you think that? What's wrong with asking theists why they have the right religion over each other?

Haha...okay...I will play along. Why are you thinking about converting?

Because all the arguments are so convincing. But all of the religions make the similar arguments so I can't tell which one to pick. That's why I'm asking the theists of DDO as to why their religion should be chosen over any other. After all, if i'm betting my eternal soul on a religion I want to make sure others have good reason to place their bets.

You should convert to Christianity. Here's why:
1) Salvation and forgiveness. According to Christianity If one accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, then that person is forgiven of their sins. With this forgiveness, one can be free from guilt of their sins.

2)Morality: Christianity encourages to treat others the way you would like to be treated, as well to help others in their time of need. In fact, there are many Christian charities, such as the Salvation Army/

3) Second chances. Christiniaty offers an avenue to begin a new life, to start over and become a new and better person. In fact, a key concept of Christianity is spiritual rebirth, in which someone is cleansed of their sins and is encouraged to do good unto other people.

4) Community. Christianity is the largest religion in the World, with 2.4 billion followers. Sharing the same religion with people open up oppurtunities to know them, and with knowing them. Knowing people provides you with the oppurtunity of exchanging knowledge, ideas, and life long friendship. This describes a key component of Christianity, fellowship.

Essentially Christianity is about sharing a common belief in Christ and loving and helping others. Thus you should consider converting to Christianity.

These are good reasons, but Islam also talks about salvation, morality, second chances and community. How do we know that Christ is the true path above the teachings of Mohamed?

Because Christianity offers someone a personal relationship with Jesus Christ while Islam does not. Christ also was a peaceful person who opened up to the poor and the sinful, while Mohamed was a violent person who conquered the Arabia.

Well a relationship with Christ sounds good but if Islam or Judaism are correct then Jesus seems less important. I do hope uncung responds to you and we can see the merits of both religions examined.
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:07:41 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think that if you have a religion then you shouldn't be bound by any set of "rules" that try to control your life. Sure you can have a moral code like "thou shall not kill", but you shouldn't be having to be forced to do things you don't want to do that Christians make you do. Just believe in a God, have your morals, and voila.

which God?
Bennett91
Posts: 4,237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:08:07 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:05:50 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:04:13 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:00:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

Have you tried non-denominational Christianity?

It's certainly possible, but the question is why that over another religion entirely?

I think that if you have a religion then you shouldn't be bound by any set of "rules" that try to control your life. Sure you can have a moral code like "thou shall not kill", but you shouldn't be having to be forced to do things you don't want to do that Christians make you do. Just believe in a God, have your morals, and voila.

But is this Christianity? Can I believe in a God and have my morals but not believe that Jesus is God?
That1User
Posts: 1,064
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:09:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:04:13 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:00:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

Have you tried non-denominational Christianity?

It's certainly possible, but the question is why that over another religion entirely?

@Peters: I was suggesting the same thing.
@Bennet: Well one can incorprate different religions in Christianity, such as following Buddhism's Noble 8-fold Path and follwing the Mosiac Law of Judaism.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:10:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:08:07 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:05:50 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:04:13 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:00:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

Have you tried non-denominational Christianity?

It's certainly possible, but the question is why that over another religion entirely?

I think that if you have a religion then you shouldn't be bound by any set of "rules" that try to control your life. Sure you can have a moral code like "thou shall not kill", but you shouldn't be having to be forced to do things you don't want to do that Christians make you do. Just believe in a God, have your morals, and voila.

But is this Christianity? Can I believe in a God and have my morals but not believe that Jesus is God?

Yes, of course. If you believe in the trinity then do Christianity, if you believe in "Allah" or whatever then choose non-denomination Islam, but Islam sounds too restrictive for you. If you don't believe in the trinity, and only the Christian version of God then do Arianism or something of that nature. If you believe in a God not attached to anything, then just become a monotheist. If you believe in multiple Gods, then become a polytheist.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Beastt
Posts: 5,135
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:13:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:10:13 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:08:07 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:05:50 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:04:13 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:00:23 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 12/21/2014 8:13:09 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
So can I have theists tell me to which religion I should convert to and why?

Have you tried non-denominational Christianity?

It's certainly possible, but the question is why that over another religion entirely?

I think that if you have a religion then you shouldn't be bound by any set of "rules" that try to control your life. Sure you can have a moral code like "thou shall not kill", but you shouldn't be having to be forced to do things you don't want to do that Christians make you do. Just believe in a God, have your morals, and voila.

But is this Christianity? Can I believe in a God and have my morals but not believe that Jesus is God?

Yes, of course. If you believe in the trinity then do Christianity, if you believe in "Allah" or whatever then choose non-denomination Islam, but Islam sounds too restrictive for you. If you don't believe in the trinity, and only the Christian version of God then do Arianism or something of that nature. If you believe in a God not attached to anything, then just become a monotheist. If you believe in multiple Gods, then become a polytheist.

And if you can't decide whether you believe in just one God or three Gods, then Christianity is the only religion for you.
"If we believe absurdities we shall commit atrocities." -- Voltaire