Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Indoctrination?

SNP1
Posts: 2,403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 12:57:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do you think that children should be brought up in a religion, or brought up secular until they are old enough, and know enough, to make an informed choice? Why?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 1:15:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:57:50 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you think that children should be brought up in a religion, or brought up secular until they are old enough, and know enough, to make an informed choice? Why?

Without indoctrination, religions would soon disappear. That is the one and only power religion has over people, the power to make them accept without question, absurd nonsense.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 1:37:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:57:50 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you think that children should be brought up in a religion, or brought up secular until they are old enough, and know enough, to make an informed choice? Why?

The latter.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 2:08:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 1:15:27 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:57:50 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you think that children should be brought up in a religion, or brought up secular until they are old enough, and know enough, to make an informed choice? Why?

Without indoctrination, religions would soon disappear. That is the one and only power religion has over people, the power to make them accept without question, absurd nonsense.

I don't know if they'd disappear altogether, but I agree with your sentiment. Early and repeated indoctrination seems to be the most significant reason that religious participation persists at such a high rate.
jodybirdy
Posts: 2,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 2:12:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 1:15:27 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 12/22/2014 12:57:50 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you think that children should be brought up in a religion, or brought up secular until they are old enough, and know enough, to make an informed choice? Why?

Without indoctrination, religions would soon disappear. That is the one and only power religion has over people, the power to make them accept without question, absurd nonsense.

And the best way to do that is to start when they're babies. A brainwash that is deeply ingrained in the psyche.
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
Cryo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 4:20:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:57:50 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you think that children should be brought up in a religion, or brought up secular until they are old enough, and know enough, to make an informed choice? Why?

I think they should be raised secular. It's the old, "Teach them how to think instead of what to think."

If all children were raised to be open-minded yet skeptical, to place their trust in reason and evidence, the world would be better off.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 4:25:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:57:50 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you think that children should be brought up in a religion, or brought up secular until they are old enough, and know enough, to make an informed choice? Why?

If the second option, they may not be brought up under an anti-religious mindset either.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 4:42:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/22/2014 12:57:50 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Do you think that children should be brought up in a religion, or brought up secular until they are old enough, and know enough, to make an informed choice? Why?

If the way they are taught religion is reasonable, then there should not be a problem with bringing them up in a religious context. However, free thought should be strongly encouraged.

I would say that children brought up in an unreasonable religious context are more likely to bolt when they are old enough to do so. Parents that are religious to the point of insanity cause their children to rebel. Every child should understand that he/she is free to believe whatever he/she wants. However, church can have a very positive influence on children. It can also have a negative influence. If the religion has a positive influence on the child, then it is good for the child to be exposed to it.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.