Jump to topic:

Interesting Observation

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:11:01 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Over the past several days, I have performed a somewhat informal survey. I clicked on the user names of those of those posters who express theistic and those who express non-theistic views, and looked at their profiles, particularly at what, if any, religion they list there. At first I was just amused, then I looked some more.

While I do not have exact numbers, based on my 12 credit hours in university level statistics, I would estimate that approximately 70% of those expressing non-theistic views show on their profiles that they are of some non-theistic religious view. Of those posters expressing theistic views, only about 20% list any religion at all on their profiles.

I will admit to a margin of error of 10 - 20% , but that still leaves a sizable difference.

What conclusions could one draw from that?????

-)

If anyone would care to challenge my observation, I could develop and submit a detailed listing by user name and religion as listed on their profiles. Do you really want me to??? You know who you are.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:26:42 PM
At 12/22/2014 10:18:49 PM Accipiter wrote:
Most expressing theistic views have also never read the bible. Maybe they are just lazy.

Invalid conclusion. I nor you have no way of knowing if they have or not. That was not part of any observation made. That has no basis fact.

By the way. There is only one correct conclusion.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:32:38 PM
At 12/22/2014 10:26:42 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
Most expressing theistic views have also never read the bible. Maybe they are just lazy.

Invalid conclusion. I nor you have no way of knowing if they have or not. That was not part of any observation made. That has no basis fact.

Atheist express more religious affiliations than theist do.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:37:19 PM
At 12/22/2014 10:32:38 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Possibly, but I can't conclude that from the observations made.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 10:42:44 PM
By the way, the IS a point as to why I am going through this exercise. And it is not what has been so far shown as possible conclusions.
MEK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:18:59 PM
At 12/22/2014 10:11:01 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
Over the past several days, I have performed a somewhat informal survey. I clicked on the user names of those of those posters who express theistic and those who express non-theistic views, and looked at their profiles, particularly at what, if any, religion they list there. At first I was just amused, then I looked some more.

While I do not have exact numbers, based on my 12 credit hours in university level statistics, I would estimate that approximately 70% of those expressing non-theistic views show on their profiles that they are of some non-theistic religious view. Of those posters expressing theistic views, only about 20% list any religion at all on their profiles.

I will admit to a margin of error of 10 - 20% , but that still leaves a sizable difference.

-)

If anyone would care to challenge my observation, I could develop and submit a detailed listing by user name and religion as listed on their profiles. Do you really want me to??? You know who you are.

This seems to make sense to me, at least on an anecdotal level. I could be wrong and will openly admit being insular here but I would suspect that most atheists or non-religious posters have lived on both sides of faith - meaning, they were once religious and after some research, self-exploration, pursuing higher levels of education, whatever have abandoned their theistic ideologies as they just do not square up with the natural world around them (myself included).

I would suspect that most theists that post have not truly examined the reasons for believing what they believe or as John Loftus states, scrutinizing their own personal religious beliefs with the "outsiders test for faith". In other words, most Christians do not believe in the Quran as most Muslims do so do these Christians apply the same rigorous criteria they use to discredit the Muslims belief system with the same objective lens? My guess would be, they do not.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:22:42 PM
At 12/22/2014 10:29:35 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
In Accipiter's profile, he has "Religion" as "Not Saying"

Actually I haven't changed anything but my avatar so that is probably the default selection.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:37:32 PM
At 12/22/2014 11:22:42 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Actually I haven't changed anything but my avatar so that is probably the default selection.

Hey!!! I saw what I saw. Why It says what it says is under your control, not mine.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:45:27 PM

-)

Failure to list one's religion isn't always without reason. I would have typed in my choice, but that wasn't an option, and Christian Heretic wasn't listed. 'Other' just sounds lame. And 'Other' would not be an honest selection because my chosen religion is indeed listed. But even among my own, I'm a bit of a heretic and I don't want my own accused of speculative doctrine for which I am solely responsible, as such, I chose "Not Saying".
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2014 11:58:48 PM
At 12/22/2014 11:37:32 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Hey!!! I saw what I saw. Why It says what it says is under your control, not mine.

No, what you are looking at is the default setting that the web site places there. When a new member joins that's the setting it is going to show unless he changes it.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:04:53 AM
At 12/22/2014 11:58:48 PM, Accipiter wrote:

No, what you are looking at is the default setting that the web site places there. When a new member joins that's the setting it is going to show unless he changes it.

And who's control is that under? Not mine!!!! If you profess such strong theistic beliefs, why would you ignore that setting?
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:09:50 AM
At 12/22/2014 11:45:27 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

-)

Failure to list one's religion isn't always without reason. I would have typed in my choice, but that wasn't an option, and Christian Heretic wasn't listed. 'Other' just sounds lame. And 'Other' would not be an honest selection because my chosen religion is indeed listed. But even among my own, I'm a bit of a heretic and I don't want my own accused of speculative doctrine for which I am solely responsible, as such, I chose "Not Saying".

You are trying to justify your particular situation. Can that account for 20%?
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:15:35 AM
At 12/22/2014 11:18:59 PM, MEK wrote:

-)

This seems to make sense to me, at least on an anecdotal level. I could be wrong and will openly admit being insular here but I would suspect that most atheists or non-religious posters have lived on both sides of faith - meaning, they were once religious and after some research, self-exploration, pursuing higher levels of education, whatever have abandoned their theistic ideologies as they just do not square up with the natural world around them (myself included).

I would suspect that most theists that post have not truly examined the reasons for believing what they believe or as John Loftus states, scrutinizing their own personal religious beliefs with the "outsiders test for faith". In other words, most Christians do not believe in the Quran as most Muslims do so do these Christians apply the same rigorous criteria they use to discredit the Muslims belief system with the same objective lens? My guess would be, they do not.

While I TOTALLY agree with your opinions, they are just that : opinions. I cannot justify them based on my stated observations.
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:17:47 AM

-)

- Now that you have mentioned it, I thought it first odd, but you could be right. In my case, when I edited my denomination to Sunni Islam it didn't turn up in my profile!!?
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:
http://www.debate.org...

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:20:42 AM
At 12/23/2014 12:10:32 AM, stubs wrote:
And by my calculations there's about a 90% chance this concludes absolutely nothing useful

I believe you are mistaken. If you wish me to provide hypothesis, data, test of hypothesis, and conclusion, I can. But you are missing the completely.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:24:48 AM
At 12/23/2014 12:09:50 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

-)

Trying to justify? Did you need more? Just accounting for myself. The others are on their own.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:25:02 AM
At 12/23/2014 12:04:53 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 12/22/2014 11:58:48 PM, Accipiter wrote:

And who's control is that under? Not mine!!!! If you profess such strong theistic beliefs, why would you ignore that setting?

Don't you think that one of the factors being a web site default might affect your study? You would end up needing to throw everyone out who's got the same answer as me.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:25:30 AM
At 12/23/2014 12:20:42 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
And by my calculations there's about a 90% chance this concludes absolutely nothing useful

I believe you are mistaken. If you wish me to provide hypothesis, data, test of hypothesis, and conclusion, I can. But you are missing the completely.

go for it
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:43:04 AM
At 12/23/2014 12:24:48 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 12/23/2014 12:09:50 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

-)

Trying to justify? Did you need more? Just accounting for myself. The others are on their own.

No comment.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 12:51:17 AM
At 12/23/2014 12:43:04 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

No comment.

You mean, "Not Saying?" I wonder if you could justify that.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 1:02:56 AM
At 12/23/2014 12:25:30 AM, stubs wrote:

go for it

OK people, I'll let you in on the purpose of this exercise.

The ONLY conclusion that can be drawn from my observations is exactly what I said in the OP: Approximately 70% of non-theists show their religious leanings on their profiles, and only 10-20% of theists do. Anything else is pure conjecture: jumping to conclusions. Unfortunately, there is WAY too much of that. People are judging others on nothing more than conjecture. It's OK to disagree, but judging others on conjecture is, at least in my opinion, wrong.

How many of you jumped to unjustified conclusions?

I will admit I lead you on a little. But most of you made the jump all by yourself.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 1:15:52 AM
At 12/23/2014 1:02:56 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

go for it

The ONLY conclusion that can be drawn from my observations is exactly what I said in the OP: Approximately 70% of non-theists show their religious leanings on their profiles, and only 10-20% of theists do. Anything else is pure conjecture: jumping to conclusions. Unfortunately, there is WAY too much of that. People are judging others on nothing more than conjecture. It's OK to disagree, but judging others on conjecture is, at least in my opinion, wrong.

I will admit I lead you on a little. But most of you made the jump all by yourself.

Yeah that's what I said... it means nothing haha.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 1:51:17 AM
At 12/23/2014 1:15:52 AM, stubs wrote:
At 12/23/2014 1:02:56 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

go for it

Yeah that's what I said... it means nothing haha.

Well, if jumping to conclusions without justification means nothing to you, I pity you.

And I DID say "IF".
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 9:16:41 PM

-)

There are at least three closet Christians here who pretend otherwise and I have no problem in naming them. They are Benshapiro, Idealist and Wylted who masquerade as a deist, an agnostic and an atheist respectively. I don't go by what people say but by what they do. They will tell you they are "playing devil's advocate" or simply "being balanced" but you can judge them by their actions. They're always defending Christians and Christianity and getting quite worked up about it. I don't think I've ever seen the latter two actually advocating the agnostic or atheist positions at any time.

The question is, why do Christians do this? You don't have to look far for an answer. They're embarassed by their holy book. They don't want the burden of having to defend the obnoxious morality it contains, the contradictions, the supernatural claims and the sheer daftness of some sections. So, can you blame Christians for not wanting all this baggage around their necks? It's a dishonest representation of themselves but you can see the rationale.
MEK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 12:40:45 AM
At 12/23/2014 12:15:35 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

While I TOTALLY agree with your opinions, they are just that : opinions. I cannot justify them based on my stated observations.

Okay. So you cannot justify my "opinions" based on your observations. What observations are you referring?
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 12:48:25 AM
At 12/22/2014 10:32:38 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

In what respect?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 7:48:12 AM
At 12/24/2014 12:40:45 AM, MEK wrote:
At 12/23/2014 12:15:35 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Okay. So you cannot justify my "opinions" based on your observations. What observations are you referring?

The observations of who listed a "Religion " choice in their profiles.