Jump to topic:

Where are the rational Atheists?!

YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 1:50:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Am I not lucky or is this Forum filled with irrational atheists!!!

> Most comments I've seen so far written by users in this Forum denote the lack of Reasoning & Logical Attitude.

> Let's admit that the Theists are generally not scrupulous when it comes to their beliefs, & they usually don't claim to be rational by default. Question is: why is that the case for Atheists too?

> Atheists here claim to be rational, yet, most of them make the most colossal Logical Fallacies without even batting an eye. Most hold dogmatic positions thinking they are in the clear.

> Where are the Rational Atheists, who really thought things through, who studied Logic or Philosophy, who are skeptical but not dogmatic?!
Current Debates In Voting Period:

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:
http://www.debate.org...

- Drawing Contest. Vs. @purpleduck:

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 3:17:38 AM
At 12/23/2014 1:50:15 AM, YassineB wrote:

> Most comments I've seen so far written by users in this Forum denote the lack of Reasoning & Logical Attitude.

> Let's admit that the Theists are generally not scrupulous when it comes to their beliefs, & they usually don't claim to be rational by default. Question is: why is that the case for Atheists too?

> Atheists here claim to be rational, yet, most of them make the most colossal Logical Fallacies without even batting an eye. Most hold dogmatic positions thinking they are in the clear.

> Where are the Rational Atheists, who really thought things through, who studied Logic or Philosophy, who are skeptical but not dogmatic?!

Rationality is how we come by atheism. You wouldn't understand.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 3:19:59 AM
At 12/23/2014 3:17:38 AM, bulproof wrote:

- Rationality is Rationality, it's independent from theist/atheist.

- The Qur'an We Have Today is Not What Muhammad Dictated Verbatim. Vs. @Envisage:

"It is perfectly permissible to vote on sources without reading them" bluesteel.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 3:55:34 AM

Agreed

They just migrate here because they have no life, and it's not too uncommon among people in general. It's one reason we should exterminate people below 100 IQ

I know this. They think their dogmatic position is somehow superior to that of theists. It's like they want to come to the same conclusions as intellectuals so they can claim to be one but they have no ideal how smarter people came to that conclusion.

They are the type to look for evidence to justify their conclusion as opposed to doing what smart people do, which is to seek out evidence to disprove their conclusion.

Dude your in the religion forum. If you want to discuss this stuff with atheists in an intelligent way, you'll have to instigate a debate with a high ELO opponent.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 3:56:31 AM
Atheists who are found in the religion forum are typically religion haters with plenty to say. The 'rational' sorts are found in the philosophy forum -->
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 3:57:42 AM
At 12/23/2014 3:19:59 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 12/23/2014 3:17:38 AM, bulproof wrote:

- Rationality is Rationality, it's independent from theist/atheist.

See what I mean. They view it as something rational people so they fall in line as opposed to being rational and coming to the conclusion based on that on their own.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 7:36:43 AM

Here's some rationality for you:

"Assertions without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"
--- Christopher Hitchens
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:12:31 AM
At 12/23/2014 3:55:34 AM, Wylted wrote:
Agreed

- Thank you.

They just migrate here because they have no life, and it's not too uncommon among people in general. It's one reason we should exterminate people below 100 IQ

- Hahahahahahah.

I know this. They think their dogmatic position is somehow superior to that of theists. It's like they want to come to the same conclusions as intellectuals so they can claim to be one but they have no idea how smarter people came to that conclusion.

- & it's hard to convince them otherwise. :(

They are the type to look for evidence to justify their conclusion as opposed to doing what smart people do, which is to seek out evidence to disprove their conclusion.

- Agreed. Plus, they are not even good at it.

Dude your in the religion forum. If you want to discuss this stuff with atheists in an intelligent way, you'll have to instigate a debate with a high ELO opponent.

- I did, few times, guess nobody cares about newbies :'( . ;)

YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:13:43 AM
At 12/23/2014 3:56:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Atheists who are found in the religion forum are typically religion haters with plenty to say. The 'rational' sorts are found in the philosophy forum -->

- I am new here, so thanks for the good advice. :)

YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:17:58 AM
At 12/23/2014 3:57:42 AM, Wylted wrote:
See what I mean. They view it as something rational people so they fall in line as opposed to being rational and coming to the conclusion based on that on their own.

- It's one thing to believe something without thinking oneself rational, but it's worse to believe oneself rational & not be rational. The former is dogmatic & he admits it, the latter is dogmatic & doesn't even know it.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:18:16 AM
At 12/23/2014 3:56:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:

hahahahaha
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:22:14 AM
I nominate this as stupid post of the week.
This fading flower is hilarious.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:28:01 AM
At 12/23/2014 8:22:14 AM, bulproof wrote:

That's exactly what you do. You're just as stupid as the dumbest Christians on here and it's also a reason why you refuse to debate.

You'd have to face your own stupidity.

This response proves your stupidity.

You need to be just as critical of your own beliefs as you are of others. The reason why you seek out arguments you agree with as ones you disagree with is because you lack the intellect to challenge your own premises.

Now please point out how that post is stupid. Or are you just throwing out insults, without any reasoning behind them. By the way your response was reported.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:30:56 AM

The fact you think it's stupid to critically examine your own beliefs makes you stupid.
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:37:12 AM
At 12/23/2014 7:36:43 AM, dee-em wrote:
Here's some rationality for you:

"Assertions without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"
--- Christopher Hitchens

- That's not a Rational Statement, that's just a rhetorical sentence expressing skeptical attitude.

> That statement can not be True, because: definitions MUST be stated without evidence, & thus can not be dismissed. Conventions MUST be stated without evidence, & are non-dismissible > particularly Axioms are, by definition, Assertions stated without evidence; therefore can not be dismissed.
> In that case it's like Hitchens is saying: "axioms don't exist, if they did exist then they can't". Because, Axioms, by definition, are stated without proof. Following Hitchens' Logic, axioms don't exist & thus Logic doesn't exist (because Former Logic is based on the Four Axiomatic Laws of Thought).
> Even if we give Hitchens the benefit of the doubt & say in the off chance he didn't mean Axioms, he meant other than Axioms. >>> In that case, the first premise will read "Assertions without evidence". Since we are not talking about axioms then this premise is False, because other than axioms nothing can be stated without evidence; & therefore the Statement is necessarily False. Besides the premise: "can be dismissed without evidence" is also False, nothing can be dismissed without evidence either.
> Even further, if something can be dismissed without evidence & at the same time stated without evidence, then, this 'something' can be asserted & it's opposite can be asserted at the same time!! That's against the Second Law of Thought: "Nothing can be True & False at the same time in the same sense". <<< There is Nothing that obeys the 'law' of Hitchens.
==>> Conclusion: the ensemble of Things that can be stated without evidence & subsequently dismissed without evidence is an Empty Set; therefore, Mr. Hitchens statement is False according to Formal Logic.

==>> Point being, Hitchens' Razor is a statement that belongs to Informal Logic (denoting the Skeptical Attitude), rather than Formal Logic (denoting the Logical Attitude).

YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:41:17 AM
At 12/23/2014 8:28:01 AM, Wylted wrote:
That's exactly what you do. You're just as stupid as the dumbest Christians on here and it's also a reason why you refuse to debate.

You'd have to face your own stupidity.

This response proves your stupidity.

You need to be just as critical of your own beliefs as you are of others. The reason why you seek out arguments you agree with as ones you disagree with is because you lack the intellect to challenge your own premises.

Now please point out how that post is stupid. Or are you just throwing out insults, without any reasoning behind them. By the way your response was reported.

- Damn! I should probably be more like you. I am too nice.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:42:37 AM
At 12/23/2014 8:30:56 AM, Wylted wrote:

The fact you think it's stupid to critically examine your own beliefs makes you stupid.

No actually it's informing you that you haven't examined you beliefs with reality glasses on.
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:51:57 AM
At 12/23/2014 8:42:37 AM, bulproof wrote:

No actually it's informing you that you haven't examined you beliefs with reality glasses on.

- You are not making any sense.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 8:54:04 AM

How so?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 9:07:41 AM
At 12/23/2014 8:54:04 AM, Wylted wrote:

How so?

Creationists (the religious) start with a conclusion and try desperately to find "evidence" that supports their conclusion.
Atheists examine the evidence and come to a conclusion.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 9:23:41 AM
At 12/23/2014 9:07:41 AM, bulproof wrote:

How so?

Creationists (the religious) start with a conclusion and try desperately to find "evidence" that supports their conclusion.

Atheists and the religious both do the same thing as this forum is a testament to.

For example you take the atheistic position because you see smart people do it, but people like me and Envisage did are own investigating and logical analysis to come to that same conclusion.

I have no issue with your conclusion. It's just embarrassing to see you use the same logic as theists to support your position.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 9:28:02 AM
At 12/23/2014 9:07:41 AM, bulproof wrote:

How so?

For example here is your premises.

P1- Christians are dumb

P2- If Christians are dumb God isn't real

C1- God isn't real.

Do you not see how that is bad logic?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 9:37:01 AM

No, you just want to believe they are irrational, it makes you then believe your arguments are rational.

Doesn't work that way.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 9:58:46 AM
At 12/23/2014 9:37:01 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

No, you just want to believe they are irrational, it makes you then believe your arguments are rational.

Doesn't work that way.

It's actually the truth. Most of the rational atheists, avoid this forum. He is just asking why the dumbest 10% of atheists flock here?

My assumption is because it's where the dumbest theists flock and they don't have to feel dumb surrounded by idiots.
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 10:07:19 AM
At 12/23/2014 9:58:46 AM, Wylted wrote:
It's actually the truth. Most of the rational atheists, avoid this forum. He is just asking why the dumbest 10% of atheists flock here?

My assumption is because it's where the dumbest theists flock and they don't have to feel dumb surrounded by idiots.

- I am so relieved there are atheists like you. It's irritating to see dogmatic people thinking they are rational.

- & you might be right, dumb atheists can't handle rational atheists nor rational theists, that's why they stick with their own kind.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 10:08:49 AM
At 12/23/2014 10:07:19 AM, YassineB wrote:
At 12/23/2014 9:58:46 AM, Wylted wrote:

- I am so relieved there are atheists like you. It's irritating to see dogmatic people thinking they are rational.

- & you might be right, dumb atheists can't handle rational atheists nor rational theists, that's why they stick with their own kind.

It's disgusting on both ends but I'm more forgiving of ignorant theists.
YassineB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 10:15:21 AM
At 12/23/2014 10:08:49 AM, Wylted wrote:
It's disgusting on both ends but I'm more forgiving of ignorant theists.

-Couldn't agree more, at least theists admit they are dogmatic.

LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 10:16:44 AM
No person, Deist, Theist, or Atheist, who believes they have the right to exist outside of the fire of Hell is rational. A rational person will never exclude the possiblity that they may be cast away forever into the fire of Hell now if they are not sure their sins are forgiven and they are gonig to heaven.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 10:47:18 AM
At 12/23/2014 10:16:44 AM, LifeMeansGodIsGood wrote:
No person, Deist, Theist, or Atheist, who believes they have the right to exist outside of the fire of Hell is rational. A rational person will never exclude the possiblity that they may be cast away forever into the fire of Hell now if they are not sure their sins are forgiven and they are gonig to heaven.

That's it, tell us more about Hell, I love hearing about it. Give us more of the same, over and over and over...
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth