Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

If you smile at a bum are you an as*hole?

Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:13:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
On one hand, smiling at people means that you are giving them the time of day. It's a sign of appreciation and recognition for your fellow human being

On the other hand, smiling could mean that you derive pleasure from their misfortune. An uppity gesture of superiority.

And I mean this from the perspective of you being the one to smile first. Yay or nay?

Btw this ties in to morality so that's why it belongs in the religion section.
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:19:34 PM
At 12/23/2014 5:13:41 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
On one hand, smiling at people means that you are giving them the time of day. It's a sign of appreciation and recognition for your fellow human being
That is true
On the other hand, smiling could mean that you derive pleasure from their misfortune. An uppity gesture of superiority.
Only if it's like a condescending smirk
And I mean this from the perspective of you being the one to smile first. Yay or nay?
i try not to look at them (awkward eye contact is creepy from really old really creepy strangers)
wouldn't it go more in the.... *checks forum sections* uhhh.... society or personal section?
I may or may not be a cat
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:23:25 PM
Let me put it this way:

If you were a bum, would you want a stranger to smile at you for an unknown reason?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:29:53 PM
At 12/23/2014 5:23:25 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Let me put it this way:

If you were a bum, would you want a stranger to smile at you for an unknown reason?

If they were giving me money they could smile as much as they want. I would smile too.
Benshapiro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:34:31 PM
At 12/23/2014 5:29:53 PM, Skyangel wrote:
Let me put it this way:

If they were giving me money they could smile as much as they want. I would smile too.

Let's suppose you were just digging through the garbage and found a leftover burger to eat. You look up and make eye contact with a stranger smiling at you. Is this good or bad?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 5:38:45 PM
At 12/23/2014 5:34:31 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Let me put it this way:

Let's suppose you were just digging through the garbage and found a leftover burger to eat. You look up and make eye contact with a stranger smiling at you. Is this good or bad?

That depends on how you interpret their expression and general attitude in your own mind.
Maybe I should dress up as a bum one day, dig through garbage for food and then offer some of the food to anyone who smiles at me?
That thought makes me smile because I can imagine their disgusted reaction.
Is that good or bad?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 7:52:46 PM
At 12/23/2014 5:13:41 PM, Benshapiro wrote:

Many of the bums ( believers ) that God chooses to be in the path of us saints who preach the gospel to them know the difference between a giver ( one who smiles and talks to them and possibly gives them a gift of money or food ) and a selfish religious person who smiles at themselves and pat their own backs as they give to the poor.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 12:44:41 AM
At 12/23/2014 5:38:45 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 12/23/2014 5:34:31 PM, Benshapiro wrote:
Let me put it this way:

That depends on how you interpret their expression and general attitude in your own mind.
Maybe I should dress up as a bum one day, dig through garbage for food and then offer some of the food to anyone who smiles at me?
That thought makes me smile because I can imagine their disgusted reaction.
Is that good or bad?

+1 hahaha!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 1:09:39 AM
Let me put it this way:

I, personally would not care. I know someone who would love it (one of my close friends). My fiance would hate it.

So, still not really helping with your objective morality.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 3:16:22 AM
"If you smile at a bum are you an as*hole?"

If the bum belongs to someone of the opposite sex, you are straight.
If the bum belongs to someone of the same sex, you are gay.
If the bum belongs to a child, you are an as*hole.