Jump to topic:

Convert me.

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 11:36:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Simple really, if you so please then I kindly invite you to attempt to convert me to your faith.

If you are not interested in doing so you don't have to post here.
If you are unwilling to discuss the nature of your faith you don't have to post here.
If you simply intend to post personal abuse you don't have to post here.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 11:49:59 PM
At 6/3/2010 11:38:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Boxxy is undeniable proof that there is a God and he loves us.

You tout intellectual superiority and then say stupid sh!t like this. Unnecessary derailing of a topic that contributed nothing to serious discussion.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2010 11:53:34 PM
So anyway...

Simple really, if you so please then I kindly invite you to attempt to convert me to your faith.

If you are unwilling to discuss the nature of your faith you don't have to post here.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 12:39:31 AM
At 6/3/2010 11:36:34 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I doubt you're serious, so I doubt I'll even attempt to convert you to anything. ;)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:04:11 AM
At 6/4/2010 12:39:31 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I doubt you're serious, so I doubt I'll even attempt to convert you to anything. ;)

I think he wants to see if he can be swayed by anyone's attempts to convert him. If they don't persuade him to convert, then he may wonder why it convinced that person if both people are given the same reasons to believe.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:08:19 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:04:11 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I think he wants to see if he can be swayed by anyone's attempts to convert him. If they don't persuade him to convert, then he may wonder why it convinced that person if both people are given the same reasons to believe.

Well in that case, C_N, have you accepted Muhammad into your life? ;) Allah will smite thou if you don't. lol jk.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:09:14 AM

I am absolutely serious. This has been my agenda from day one.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:10:36 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:09:14 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

So you want to be religious if somebody can properly convince you?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:13:42 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:10:36 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Well it's been half of my agenda... but anyways...

Yes. Of course. Atheism is horrific, I don't understand why I have not killed myself.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:14:49 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:13:42 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Yes. Of course. Atheism is horrific, I don't understand why I have not killed myself.

Hmm...well I could try to help you if I had any sense of direction as to where I was going myself.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:19:08 AM

Uh, wow. I had no idea. Though I suppose I should of seen it coming given that you wish that Atheism were false.

What is it that you find horrific about Atheism?

And what could a valid religion provide that valid Atheism can't?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:22:42 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:19:08 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It can give hope. If you are 15, suffering from cancer, have one year to live, religion can keep you happy. Atheism can hardly do it. If you feel that you will at least live happily forever in the Hereafter, you can remain smiling.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:24:04 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:22:42 AM, Mirza wrote:
It can give hope. If you are 15, suffering from cancer, have one year to live, religion can keep you happy. Atheism can hardly do it. If you feel that you will at least live happily forever in the Hereafter, you can remain smiling.

That's true actually. It's one of the things that keeps me a theist. It does provide happiness.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:25:34 AM

Uh, wow. I had no idea. Though I suppose I should of seen it coming given that you wish that Atheism were false.

Maybe I am coming across as melodramatic, I suppose the main issue for me is death. Actually to be honest that is the sole issue. I want immortality, yep I said it.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:28:33 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:25:34 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Maybe I am coming across as melodramatic, I suppose the main issue for me is death. Actually to be honest that is the sole issue. I want immortality, yep I said it.
I want to address the question put forth.

Have you set some standards? I can see that you want to live forever, which means that a religion not offering Paradise as eternal happiness is not one for you. Those about reincarnation etc. are not about being the most true religions, so if you are believing in another religion besides them, it will not be a punishment for you. However, if you believe in them, and not a religion that speaks about Hell/Paradise, then if that religion is right, you will suffer. Do you understand what I mean?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:28:49 AM

Immortality, eh? I'd say the closest thing you would find to that is reincarnation.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:29:41 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:22:42 AM, Mirza wrote:

Demons, Hell, purgatory, judgment, punishment, apocalypse, war of good and evil? It seems there's so much terror involved in religion, that the small glimpse of hope is drowned out by the negative.

Plus, eternal life doesn't guarantee happiness. You can have all the greatest pleasures in heaven, but if you aren't mentally sound, you won't benefit. Also, no matter how many desires are granted, people will always want more and become bored or dissatisfied continuously with what is given. It would be the suffering here on Earth, except eternal.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:33:10 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:28:49 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Immortality, eh? I'd say the closest thing you would find to that is reincarnation.

No. Actually it's the Judeo-Christian religions that teach an eternal afterlife.

Religions that teach reincarnation such as Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism, New Age, etc. say that the cycle of reincarnation eventually ends and you become united with Brahman (infinite consciousness).

Also, how is reincarnation "immortal" if you keep on dying over and over? lol.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:34:29 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:33:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/4/2010 1:28:49 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

No. Actually it's the Judeo-Christian religions that teach an eternal afterlife.

Religions that teach reincarnation such as Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism, New Age, etc. say that the cycle of reincarnation eventually ends and you become united with Brahman (infinite consciousness).

Well you do die, but you come back as somebody else(or something else?), but with the same soul. :P That could be considered immortality if your soul never dies.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:38:09 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:34:29 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 6/4/2010 1:33:10 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Well you do die, but you come back as somebody else(or something else?), but with the same soul. :P That could be considered immortality if your soul never dies.

But you will live through countless existences suffering and fearing that you will die because you aren't aware of your immortal soul. :p

But you're right. Technically, the soul is immortal, yet still experiences death over and over.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:38:55 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:34:29 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
It is not you, nor is there pleasure from it. If it were your own self, it would be totally different.

And again, if you are wrong about religions teaching of resurrection and not reincarnation, you will just be on loss. These religions are not punishing, since they claim no exception of truth.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:39:55 AM

I suggest this advice:

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

"Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Some people find that thought disturbing, I find the reality, thrilling!" - Richard Dawkins
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:41:50 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:29:41 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Demons, Hell, purgatory, judgment, punishment, apocalypse, war of good and evil? It seems there's so much terror involved in religion, that the small glimpse of hope is drowned out by the negative.
Demons (evil etc), something religion (mine) speaks against. It offers protection against it.

Hell, it is something that is earned if you are not a believer. If you want to earn Paradise, then why not obey God? If God exist, and I certainly believe He does, then He is the one who judges. He gives you a choice between Hell and Paradise. If you want to go to Hell, then it is your own choice. Can you stand up and bow? Yes, whenever you want. Can you refuse to? Yes, whenever you want. You have freedom.

Day of Judgment is the day where everybody will be judged. Whoever does good will see it, and vice versa. Own choice, as before. You can do good and go to Paradise. Punishment is for disobedience to God.

And no hope is drawn by this. I see none of my hopes being lost. Why should I lose hope due to Hell, when I feel that I am doing good deeds, and know that God rewards one for doing good deeds? I fear God, but not in any way that makes me lose hope. A person who loses hope in God cannot be a Muslim.

Plus, eternal life doesn't guarantee happiness. You can have all the greatest pleasures in heaven, but if you aren't mentally sound, you won't benefit.
In Paradise, you will have the best features. You will be perfect, and feel absolutely nothing bad, ever. There is no such thing as being mentally ill there.

Also, no matter how many desires are granted, people will always want more and become bored or dissatisfied continuously with what is given.
No. Paradise is promised as being something no man has ever imagined, so beautiful and filled with unimaginable things. There is no such thing as boredom. If God grants you all the best, and removes such a thing as "boredom," which is an earthly thing, then this argument of yours is totally invalid, and the truth is that there is no boredom in Paradise. There is eternal reward.

It would be the suffering here on Earth, except eternal.
On Earth, we seek more and more, even if we have everything, because our minds are imperfect. They will not be that way in Paradise.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:43:20 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:39:55 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain
Invalid argument, theologically.

"Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Some people find that thought disturbing, I find the reality, thrilling!" - Richard Dawkins
If he is wrong, he will see what reality is. If I am, which I hardly am since I do not see why I am doing anything wrong from a Hindu or Christian perspective, or Sikh etc., then it will be fine.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:47:00 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:45:45 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I think reincarnation could be real. Hmm...
Is there even a little sign of previous life? Not at all.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:47:56 AM

Well, bye Baha'i. Hello Sikhism, lol.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:48:37 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:47:56 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Haha yea. That's what I was just thinking.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:48:59 AM
At 6/4/2010 1:47:56 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Neither of those religions offer anything that will save you from punishment. They are universal.