Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Is the Right Path Always the Most Narrow?

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 8:35:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I posted this on Facebook. In using the words right and good, I am being subjective. I believe values are personally defined.

"As I come to the end of another year, I'm painfully aware of the growing that is sincerely
needed to fashion me into the man I want to be. It is never a pleasant experience as one realizes he, or she, is not as mature as once hoped. Yet, even though it may hurt, I believe it is necessary for continued growth.

It's easy for me to justify my actions as being well deserved. It's easy but it's not helpful. Life is full of easy things, and life is full of hard things; it's wisdom that steers us down the right path; the right path is not always easy and neither is it always hard, but one thing is sure the right path is always good. The value of life is not in the degree of comfort one can achieve but in the certainty of knowing his, or her, heart is at peace even if traveling a steep and thorny way."

In response to this, my youngest sister, who is a Christian Fundamentalist said, "I agree! Narrow road we must travel." In not getting into relative or absolute theories of morality or simply quoting some religious text, why does the right road always have to be the narrow one?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 8:44:03 PM
Because there are more ways to be wrong than right.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 8:57:12 PM
At 12/25/2014 8:44:03 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I believe a wrong is only brought about by its own right.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 8:58:21 PM
At 12/25/2014 8:57:12 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 12/25/2014 8:44:03 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I believe a wrong is only brought about by its own right.

\
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 9:13:52 PM
At 12/25/2014 8:35:35 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I posted this on Facebook. In using the words right and good, I am being subjective. I believe values are personally defined.

"As I come to the end of another year, I'm painfully aware of the growing that is sincerely
needed to fashion me into the man I want to be. It is never a pleasant experience as one realizes he, or she, is not as mature as once hoped. Yet, even though it may hurt, I believe it is necessary for continued growth.

It's easy for me to justify my actions as being well deserved. It's easy but it's not helpful. Life is full of easy things, and life is full of hard things; it's wisdom that steers us down the right path; the right path is not always easy and neither is it always hard, but one thing is sure the right path is always good. The value of life is not in the degree of comfort one can achieve but in the certainty of knowing his, or her, heart is at peace even if traveling a steep and thorny way."

In response to this, my youngest sister, who is a Christian Fundamentalist said, "I agree! Narrow road we must travel." In not getting into relative or absolute theories of morality or simply quoting some religious text, why does the right road always have to be the narrow one?

It's impossible to find the right path so live it up until you wake up in the new Heaven and Earth. You will find out that the path was much broader than everyone thought during this first age. God only planned to use His prophets, saints and a few believers to reveal who we are in Him during this first age. That's the only reason we had a first age. In the next age, no one will be deceived from knowing who they really are in Him.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2014 10:13:50 PM

To me, the narrow road suggests a winding strenuous path demanding concentration and perseverance. The narrow road is an appealing concept for individuals who realize they are incomplete in some way and are seeking (knowledge, maturity, god, etc). The highway is for those who intend to go from A to B with the least amount of difficulty (areas of personal growth lower on our priority list). I imagine we all travel both. The right path would be determined by your personal priorities. (sometimes the wide path may be right)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 5:37:48 AM
To me, the narrow road suggests a winding strenuous path demanding concentration and perseverance. The narrow road is an appealing concept for individuals who realize they are incomplete in some way and are seeking (knowledge, maturity, god, etc).

Yet, how is wholeness only found on the narrow path? Can't one acquire knowledge, maturity, and God on the path many people travel? Or, was Christ in using this analogy actually contradicting the collectivist by saying the right path is so narrow, only, a single person could travel on it, in other words, the right path is one of individuality?

The highway is for those who intend to go from A to B with the least amount of difficulty (areas of personal growth lower on our priority list). I imagine we all travel both. The right path would be determined by your personal priorities. (sometimes the wide path may be right)

I agree.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:19:31 AM
At 12/26/2014 5:37:48 AM, s-anthony wrote:
To me, the narrow road suggests a winding strenuous path demanding concentration and perseverance. The narrow road is an appealing concept for individuals who realize they are incomplete in some way and are seeking (knowledge, maturity, god, etc).

Yet, how is wholeness only found on the narrow path? Can't one acquire knowledge, maturity, and God on the path many people travel? Or, was Christ in using this analogy actually contradicting the collectivist by saying the right path is so narrow, only, a single person could travel on it, in other words, the right path is one of individuality?

You are right. it is possible to find 'enlightenment' on the wide path. The wide road can present unexpected challenges and personal growth along the way. The narrow road is actively seeking it is the only difference.

The highway is for those who intend to go from A to B with the least amount of difficulty (areas of personal growth lower on our priority list). I imagine we all travel both. The right path would be determined by your personal priorities. (sometimes the wide path may be right)

I agree.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:45:51 AM
You are right. it is possible to find 'enlightenment' on the wide path. The wide road can present unexpected challenges and personal growth along the way. The narrow road is actively seeking it is the only difference.

I believe either way we encounter challenges and personal growth.

The only difference I see is one path (the broad way) is a denial of one's self and the other path (the narrow way) is a denial of the collective.

I believe both paths are needed to create the right way for the individual even though the collective may label the individual's path (or the narrow way) as being the wrong path.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:05:50 AM
At 12/26/2014 9:45:51 AM, s-anthony wrote:

The only difference I see is one path (the broad way) is a denial of one's self and the other path (the narrow way) is a denial of the collective.

That may be true if one is actually choosing the wide path, but the wide path is the unguided default and it is possible to learn nothing valuable or learn something counterproductive. The narrow path is actively seeking personal growth in a particular direction.

I believe both paths are needed to create the right way for the individual even though the collective may label the individual's path (or the narrow way) as being the wrong path.

I would agree except I believe the wide path is not as needed as it is unavoidable.

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:24:57 AM

The "narrow road" Christ spoke is is described as such because ti si difficult to find and difficult to stay on.

Why?

Becvausew Satan does all he can to hide the enttrance to it, and to distract those who have fuond it and take them on another path.

So yes it is "narrow" and "difficult" not because God made it so, but because Satan, using human opposition, often family members, makes it hard.

He has also buried the true Christina Faith in amongst thousands of fakes.

Matthew 10:34-39
ASV(i) 34 Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law: 36 and a mans foes shall be they of his own household. 37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And he that doth not take his cross and follow after me, is not worthy of me. 39 He that findeth his life shall lose it; and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Even if we die in the service of God and Christ, we need nto fear because God will nto forget us and we will have a place in the resurrection.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:47:14 AM
At 12/26/2014 10:24:57 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

The "narrow road" Christ spoke is is described as such because ti si difficult to find and difficult to stay on.

Why?

Becvausew Satan does all he can to hide the enttrance to it, and to distract those who have fuond it and take them on another path.

So yes it is "narrow" and "difficult" not because God made it so, but because Satan, using human opposition, often family members, makes it hard.

As we can see from the perspective of childish beliefs in the boogeyman, the narrow path is for the narrow minded.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:51:45 AM

Is the right path always the most narrow? No. Any elaboration would be pure opinion, so I'll just ask two questions, and then two more: Are you happier when you're selfish? Are you happier when you're selfless? If those questions were paths, which has more people on it than the other at any given time? Which would you rather be on?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:05:40 AM
At 12/26/2014 10:51:45 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Is the right path always the most narrow? No. Any elaboration would be pure opinion, so I'll just ask two questions, and then two more: Are you happier when you're selfish? Are you happier when you're selfless? If those questions were paths, which has more people on it than the other at any given time? Which would you rather be on?

If what I said is opinion then it is not mine, it is that fo Christ, and his father. They don;t need to guess or opine, they know what is going to happen to humanity, though not neccessarily at individual level.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:09:28 AM
At 12/26/2014 11:05:40 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

If what I said is opinion then it is not mine, it is that fo Christ, and his father. They don;t need to guess or opine, they know what is going to happen to humanity, though not neccessarily at individual level.

You still don't know what the symbolic term "Christ" means. If you knew, you wouldn't be using this term constantly.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 12:05:49 PM

God has no opinion. His is a perfect knowledge.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 1:21:11 PM
At 12/26/2014 12:05:49 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Of course he has an opinion.

The fact that his opinion is right and true doesn't stop it being an opinion.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 1:28:57 PM
At 12/26/2014 1:21:11 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 12/26/2014 12:05:49 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Of course he has an opinion.

The fact that his opinion is right and true doesn't stop it being an opinion.

That would be your opinion, and I disagree with it.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 2:27:31 PM

That may be true if one is actually choosing the wide path, but the wide path is the unguided default and it is possible to learn nothing valuable or learn something counterproductive. The narrow path is actively seeking personal growth in a particular direction.

I agree to some extent the wide path, or path of the collective, is unconsciously inherited; the collective has a greater influence over us (in some regards) than we have over ourselves, but as individuals, we are not in complete agreement with the collective or we would have no individuality. It is our differences that allow an awareness of our commonalities. To choose between one path or the other, one must be aware both paths exist; therefore, we by necessity must be born with individuality, or difference. I believe we have both inherited and acquired characteristics and are made aware of our inherited tendencies in as much as we are familiar with our differences.

I would agree except I believe the wide path is not as needed as it is unavoidable.

I believe in some regards it's both needed and unavoidable.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 2:39:53 PM

I believe both are needed for my happiness. Even though I believe we all travel both pathways, I believe most people tend towards selflessness and have a greater tendency to identify with the group.