Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

The Question of Being (Heidegger)

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 8:52:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I finally picked up a Martin Heidegger book (Basic Writings of ...) at Borders the other day.

If you don't know who he is, he is a great German philosopher of the 18th and 19th century who's focus was the question of Being (ontology), phenomenology, existentialism, and metaphysics (or rather a refutation of). He's definitely in my top 3 philosophers.

In the preface of the book, it noted that Heidegger is a well-renowned for bringing a new question into philosophy which is, "what does it mean to be" and "what is being?" as opposed to the usual question of "why are we here" and "why is there us, rather than nothing."

I think, before we can ask "why are we here," we must first know who is asking the question and what is Being in the first place?

Discuss.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 9:09:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The answer to the thread title is no, you are not Heidegger :P.
The question is self referential-- it is meaningless to ask ""what is being?" because "Is" is a verb to being's gerund, they contain the same concept.

2)I think being is existence.
And a dog is a canine
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 9:10:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/7/2010 8:55:45 PM, Atheism wrote:
Going to give a short answer.
1)Many people ask this question.

I doubt it. Many people inquire about a soul, but I doubt people ask the question of being.

2)I think being is existence.

This is a bit vague, don't you think? Not because it's short, but because it doesn't say or mean much.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 9:16:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/7/2010 9:09:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The answer to the thread title is no, you are not Heidegger :P.
The question is self referential-- it is meaningless to ask ""what is being?" because "Is" is a verb to being's gerund, they contain the same concept.

He also refers to it as the question of Being. However, in the book, it is noted that it's not a question that is seeking an answer, but rather an attitude and an inquiry.

And part of the question is, "what does it mean to be?"
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 9:27:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/7/2010 9:16:39 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/7/2010 9:09:59 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The answer to the thread title is no, you are not Heidegger :P.
The question is self referential-- it is meaningless to ask ""what is being?" because "Is" is a verb to being's gerund, they contain the same concept.

He also refers to it as the question of Being. However, in the book, it is noted that it's not a question that is seeking an answer, but rather an attitude and an inquiry.
That does not appear to have any meaning. An inquiry is a question seeking an answer. A question is not an attitude.


And part of the question is, "what does it mean to be?"
"does it mean" is equivalent to "is its meaning" i.e. "What is the meaning of is?" It's an empty, meaningless question just like the rest. It just uses an idiom in place of the simplest verb form which better exposes the problem.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 9:46:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/7/2010 9:27:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That does not appear to have any meaning. An inquiry is a question seeking an answer.

Except here, the emphasis is on the seeking rather than the answer.

A question is not an attitude.

It's not just a question, it's a philosophical school of thought and a way of thinking about the world.

"does it mean" is equivalent to "is its meaning" i.e. "What is the meaning of is?" It's an empty, meaningless question just like the rest. It just uses an idiom in place of the simplest verb form which better exposes the problem.

You are way off.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 10:17:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Coincidentally, this quarter I took a class on existentialism in which we overlooked Husserl, Heidegger, and Sartre.

Heidegger is notoriously difficult to understand, so good luck Geo if you're just going to read his direct texts (actually, most English translations will have a few things missing that you would get from reading the original German - like the connotations and appropriate terminology at times; it gets very confusing).
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2010 10:55:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/7/2010 9:46:30 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 6/7/2010 9:27:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That does not appear to have any meaning. An inquiry is a question seeking an answer.

Except here, the emphasis is on the seeking rather than the answer.
That's like saying the emphasis of a mining operation is mining rather than gold. They emphasize mining to get gold. Mining for mining's sake is futile.


A question is not an attitude.

It's not just a question, it's a philosophical school of thought and a way of thinking about the world.
It's a question. Sorry dude. Ya need more than a question for that.


"does it mean" is equivalent to "is its meaning" i.e. "What is the meaning of is?" It's an empty, meaningless question just like the rest. It just uses an idiom in place of the simplest verb form which better exposes the problem.

You are way off.
I'll note you don't describe how.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2010 2:59:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 6/7/2010 8:52:00 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I finally picked up a Martin Heidegger book (Basic Writings of ...) at Borders the other day.

If you don't know who he is, he is a great German philosopher of the 18th and 19th century who's focus was the question of Being (ontology), phenomenology, existentialism, and metaphysics (or rather a refutation of). He's definitely in my top 3 philosophers.

In the preface of the book, it noted that Heidegger is a well-renowned for bringing a new question into philosophy which is, "what does it mean to be" and "what is being?" as opposed to the usual question of "why are we here" and "why is there us, rather than nothing."

I think, before we can ask "why are we here," we must first know who is asking the question and what is Being in the first place?

Discuss.

Well, for us it's about being human; human being!
But, focusing on ourselves is always futile; it is when we focus on our Creator that we best see ourselves, our purpose; to glorify Him!
The Cross.. the Cross.