Jump to topic:

Restoration of the Religion Forum

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 7:30:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The religion forum truly has a lot of potential to be great. Obviously no matter what, this forum will have its wackos and nut jobs, but so will any website that allows freedom of speech and opinion.

What I am particularly thinking about is trolls. This forum has a lot of trolls. Honestly, it just gets tiring and annoying. Maybe once upon a time it was humorous, but after months of constant bombardment it has degraded this forum into a hell hole. Let's please stop purposely making forums to stir up emotions like "Christians/Atheists are stupid," "Convince Me to Join Your Religion," Prove God Doesn't Exist," etc. Such forums have little to no intellectual grounds and only serve to increase tensions in an already delicate subject.
Nolite Timere
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 8:21:41 PM
The question is though: how?

Trolls of these type have practically invaded every corner of the internet, they're like the hydra. Remove one head and two will replace them.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 8:26:20 PM
At 12/26/2014 8:21:41 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Trolls of these type have practically invaded every corner of the internet, they're like the hydra. Remove one head and two will replace them.

Do you mean trolls like you two or are the the all knowing arbiters of trolldom.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 8:30:07 PM
At 12/26/2014 8:26:20 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/26/2014 8:21:41 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Do you mean trolls like you two or are the the all knowing arbiters of trolldom.

I'm not sure how I am a troll myself?
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:27:50 PM
I feel the same way but apparently the trolls here just get off on provoking and antagonizing people with a different set of beliefs, without actually wanting to understand what the other person is trying to say.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:34:50 PM
At 12/26/2014 7:30:08 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
The religion forum truly has a lot of potential to be great. Obviously no matter what, this forum will have its wackos and nut jobs, but so will any website that allows freedom of speech and opinion.

What I am particularly thinking about is trolls. This forum has a lot of trolls. Honestly, it just gets tiring and annoying. Maybe once upon a time it was humorous, but after months of constant bombardment it has degraded this forum into a hell hole. Let's please stop purposely making forums to stir up emotions like "Christians/Atheists are stupid," "Convince Me to Join Your Religion," Prove God Doesn't Exist," etc. Such forums have little to no intellectual grounds and only serve to increase tensions in an already delicate subject.

What is the alternative? I've yet to see theists (especially of another religion) get anywhere when discussing theology. They'll all just accuse each other of being wrong or misinterpreting scripture.
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 9:40:35 PM
At 12/26/2014 9:27:50 PM, Disquisition wrote:
I feel the same way but apparently the trolls here just get off on provoking and antagonizing people with a different set of beliefs, without actually wanting to understand what the other person is trying to say.

Yes!!!
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:29:11 PM
At 12/26/2014 9:34:50 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

What is the alternative? I've yet to see theists (especially of another religion) get anywhere when discussing theology. They'll all just accuse each other of being wrong or misinterpreting scripture.

Sure that will happen. Let them have their own discussions. Again, we can't get rid of wackos, but we can fight against trolls.
Nolite Timere
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:31:41 PM
At 12/26/2014 10:29:11 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Sure that will happen. Let them have their own discussions. Again, we can't get rid of wackos, but we can fight against trolls.

I'LL NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN! TROLLING IS THE ONE TRUE PATH TO SALVATION! LONG LIFE THE RELIGION FORUM CALIPHATE! ALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL *suicide bomb explosion*
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:33:36 PM
At 12/26/2014 10:31:41 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

I'LL NEVER LET THAT HAPPEN! TROLLING IS THE ONE TRUE PATH TO SALVATION! LONG LIFE THE RELIGION FORUM CALIPHATE! ALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL *suicide bomb explosion*

Kbye.
Nolite Timere
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:43:45 PM

How do you propose we fight against the trolls? The trolls tend to hide in the Religion Forums and their posts tend to get lost in Religion Forum too.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:48:38 PM
At 12/26/2014 10:43:45 PM, That1User wrote:

How do you propose we fight against the trolls? The trolls tend to hide in the Religion Forums and their posts tend to get lost in Religion Forum too.

I'm helping by telling trolls to stop trolling via this forum. Many trolls are prominent members on this site that simply despise the religion forum.
Nolite Timere
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 10:57:07 PM
At 12/26/2014 10:48:38 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

I'm helping by telling trolls to stop trolling via this forum. Many trolls are prominent members on this site that simply despise the religion forum.

The root cause of the despising of the forum seems to be its infamous reputuation of trolling, uncivility, and hostility. If prominent users are trolling the forum because others are trolling the forum, then it is a vicious cycle of trolling.
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:09:10 PM
At 12/26/2014 10:57:07 PM, That1User wrote:

The root cause of the despising of the forum seems to be its infamous reputuation of trolling, uncivility, and hostility. If prominent users are trolling the forum because others are trolling the forum, then it is a vicious cycle of trolling.

Someone has to stop first.
Nolite Timere
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:18:13 PM
At 12/26/2014 11:09:10 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

The question is: Will someone stop first?
Also, will intervening in the religious forums in order to help the religious forums actually help the religious forums or will it help make it worse?
R13; Marcus Aurelius
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:22:27 PM

Religion incites disagreement. Disagreement incites trolling. These religions disagree with those religions, and atheists disagree with them all. What should be the content of this forum that allows for disagreement that excludes trolling?
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:27:03 PM

So in a debating forum you want to stop arguments. Good thinking.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:43:12 PM
At 12/26/2014 11:18:13 PM, That1User wrote:
At 12/26/2014 11:09:10 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

The question is: Will someone stop first?

Yes. The DDO community has already agreed to help stimulate intellectual discussion and stop trolling. The point of this forum is to also extend this to the inhabitants of the religion forum.

Also, will intervening in the religious forums in order to help the religious forums actually help the religious forums or will it help make it worse?

I think a prominent member, myself, telling the inhabitants of the religion forum that it is time to stop jacking around and start participating in actual intellectual discussions may improve forum quality.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:46:39 PM
At 12/26/2014 11:27:03 PM, bulproof wrote:

This is what I am talking about lol...

Now to anyone reading this, this is exactly what the OP is referring to. Obviously not all trolls will stop trolling, but the best we can do is ignore them and continue to participate in discussion with members that are indeed looking for a religious/philosophical/intellectual talk.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:48:35 PM
At 12/26/2014 11:22:27 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Religion incites disagreement. Disagreement incites trolling.

Disagreement and trolling are not one in the same. Disagreement is welcomed in any intellectual format. What I am referring to are comments that are purposely offensive, mean, or controversial in order to incite emotional reactions from members.

These religions disagree with those religions, and atheists disagree with them all. What should be the content of this forum that allows for disagreement that excludes trolling?
Nolite Timere
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:49:47 PM
At 12/26/2014 11:43:12 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

I think a prominent member, myself, telling the inhabitants of the religion forum that it is time to stop jacking around and start participating in actual intellectual discussions may improve forum quality.

LOL.
Yeah, just tell them to stop! That will surely fix the problem.

I guess the Allies should have just told Hitler to stop invading Poland.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2014 11:58:12 PM
At 12/26/2014 11:49:47 PM, XLAV wrote:

LOL.

Obviously warfare is not an option here, lest we give trolls what they want.

Rehabitilating the religion forum involves more than making trolls stop though, it also includes members who wish to participate in intellectual discussion to be able to recognize and properly handle trolls.

Also, your sarcasm is not helpful. I am trying to improve site quality.
Nolite Timere
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:11:29 AM
At 12/26/2014 11:58:12 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 12/26/2014 11:49:47 PM, XLAV wrote:

LOL.

Obviously warfare is not an option here, lest we give trolls what they want.
Warfare is the option. I'm not talking about guns and tanks, but bans and maybe even harras them out of the site.

Rehabitilating the religion forum involves more than making trolls stop though, it also includes members who wish to participate in intellectual discussion to be able to recognize and properly handle trolls.
Trolls are trolls for a reason. They like to have fun with serious discussions. Throwing a serious discussion at them will be pointless. Take bulproof for example. He wont debate, calls theists and his enemies idiots, trolls every thread he sees. If you want members here to partake in an intellectual discussion, then remove the trolls. Trolls dont want to partake in an intellectual discussion, so remove them.

Also, your sarcasm is not helpful. I am trying to improve site quality.
So is Wylted. Sometimes I do too by starting an intelligent discussion.

How about you share to us your rehabilitation plan?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:39:14 AM
At 12/26/2014 11:46:39 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 12/26/2014 11:27:03 PM, bulproof wrote:

This is what I am talking about lol...

Now to anyone reading this, this is exactly what the OP is referring to. Obviously not all trolls will stop trolling, but the best we can do is ignore them and continue to participate in discussion with members that are indeed looking for a religious/philosophical/intellectual talk.

Trolling is defined as causing arguments ie debate.Do you have any idea what you are talking about?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:41:58 AM
At 12/27/2014 12:14:12 AM, XLAV wrote:
Hey bulproof, pls stop trolling <3
Show me where I was trolling. I made a valid comment that some people don't like and that is the definition of trolling being proposed here.
I don't like what you said therefore you are a troll, it's just pathetic cry babyism. We should outlaw crybabies.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:45:34 AM
At 12/26/2014 11:48:35 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 12/26/2014 11:22:27 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Religion incites disagreement. Disagreement incites trolling.

Disagreement and trolling are not one in the same. Disagreement is welcomed in any intellectual format. What I am referring to are comments that are purposely offensive, mean, or controversial in order to incite emotional reactions from members.
So the statement
god is real
is trolling?
good thinking.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:46:08 AM
At 12/27/2014 12:41:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/27/2014 12:14:12 AM, XLAV wrote:
Hey bulproof, pls stop trolling <3
Show me where I was trolling. I made a valid comment that some people don't like and that is the definition of trolling being proposed here.
I don't like what you said therefore you are a troll, it's just pathetic cry babyism. We should outlaw crybabies.

Then what would Neutral do?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 12:58:43 AM

From what I've seen it's the theists who believe that they are better than everyone else and/or either descendants or speak to God, and then there's the atheists who think they know everything and enjoy mocking other people's religions.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:04:08 AM
A little restraint in all discussion would do the most good for the religion forum. You can never keep a burglar from breaking into your house, but you can make it extremely inconvenient. If it becomes too inconvenient, then the thief will just go elsewhere. It is the same with trolls. Stay calm, or take a break if you find yourself losing your temper.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten