Jump to topic:

Introduction

whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:37:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As has been made clear in a forum post from airmax1227 (explained here: http://www.debate.org...), I will be acting as a "junior moderator" of sorts for this forum, monitoring posts for breaches of the conduct policy for DDO. I intend to use this post to provide some background for who I am and why I'm here, and explain my role as moderator here.

My name is Marc. I've been debating on DDO for just over a year now, and both my experience on here and my experience in real world debate have been quite distant from religious topics, though I have judged a number of religious debates on this site. As anyone who has spent ample time in this forum can attest to, I have not contributed here for the duration of my time on DDO.

So, someone might rightfully ask, why am I moderating this forum?

I am here because it is chiefly my goal as an active member of this site to ensure that it remains a constructive and inclusive environment. It has mainly been my goal, to date, to ensure that this is accomplished by voting on all manner of debates that are requested of me, and I intend to extend that offer to everyone here, should they wish for additional votes on their debates. A forum like this, one I have had minimal involvement with to date, is one that I can take part in moderating without bias, as I have no personal aspirations for how discussions in this forum should progress.

Let me be clear on this: I have no personal benefit in the direction this forum takes. I see destructive posts and behavior as problematic to the site as a whole, but any constructive discussion, whether I agree with it or not, is something I will support in this forum as vociferously as anyone.

As with my judging, I intend to bring as little bias as possible to my dealings with individuals on this forum. My goal is to bring benefit to this forum by ensuring that good conduct is upheld here. I won't attempt to re-examine the code of conduct here, as that is readily available for everyone's viewing in airmax's thread (http://www.debate.org...). It is merely my goal to ensure that this code of conduct applies as thoroughly to everyone in this forum as it does to those who take part in other forums.

I will also make this clear: my involvement in the site at large and with specific members has absolutely no bearing on how I will seek to moderate this forum. Those people with whom I am on good terms are not exempt from my efforts here. I will not be attempting to police behavior that occurred prior to the beginning of my moderation on this forum, and as such will only involve future behaviors.

I am acting on behalf of airmax here, not in my own capacity. It is solely my effort here to ensure that this forum is consistently moderated, and that any parties that will participate in destructive behaviors will be contacted and asked to desist. It is not my goal to see people banned. I am not here to crack down on anyone, merely to ensure that anyone defying the code of conduct understands that they are in error and seek to improve the quality of the forum through engagement.

If, and only if, I am not able to deal with said behaviors through discussion will I be forced to bring the matter to airmax himself in order to see the situation resolved. I should hope that I will never have to do that. The last thing I want is for contributing members on DDO to be placed on probation or banned.

Though I am new to moderating, I will bring my best efforts to this forum, and I hope that those efforts will be welcomed rather than rebuffed. I know this forum has often been viewed as the problem child of DDO, but it is one of the most prolific on the site, and something that will most certainly remain an important aspect of the site as a whole. I don't want to hamper your discussions, and I only wish to ensure that the discussion that does occur here isn't damaged by breaches of conduct. I hope that anyone who wishes for the same feel free to contact me in instances where they feel such breaches are occurring, so that my efforts can be made as effective and efficient as possible. I will accept any and all friend requests in order to establish those lines of contact, and similarly invite suggestions from those who wish to provide them, whether here or by personal message.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:44:38 PM
Hi Marc! Welcome the new moderator.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:46:21 PM
At 12/27/2014 8:44:38 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Hi Marc! Welcome the new moderator.

I appreciate that, thanks.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:48:03 PM
Welcome the the religion forum. Methinks it's about to get interesting here.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
That1User
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:51:54 PM
Hi Marc, thank you for volunteering for being our moderator in order in fixing up the Religion Forum, something that is seen as a lost cause to some. I am willing to help.
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
R13; Marcus Aurelius
"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius
"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." -Voltaire
"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do. "-Voltaire
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:29:03 PM
At 12/27/2014 8:37:45 PM, whiteflame wrote:

You should take the pledge!
http://www.debate.org...
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:30:08 PM
Hello and best of luck. I remember you very well since you retracted one of your votes on my debates since someone whined about it.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:32:51 PM
At 12/27/2014 9:30:08 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
Hello and best of luck. I remember you very well since you retracted one of your votes on my debates since someone whined about it.

I regret that, though I still posted the vote on that debate in the comments and, as I recall, you still won that debate... with a vote that didn't explain anything. Never could understand why ChosenWolff was happier with that outcome.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:33:47 PM
At 12/27/2014 9:29:03 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 12/27/2014 8:37:45 PM, whiteflame wrote:

You should take the pledge!
http://www.debate.org...

I think I'm good just acting as moderator without any other influences, thanks.
DarthVitiosus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:37:04 PM
At 12/27/2014 9:32:51 PM, whiteflame wrote:
I regret that, though I still posted the vote on that debate in the comments and, as I recall, you still won that debate... with a vote that didn't explain anything. Never could understand why ChosenWolff was happier with that outcome.

I was not serious so you didn't have to explain yourself lol. I will state that every debate I had with him he complained about someone 's vote(admin & nzlockie as well) so it wasn't only you. My last debate on there, had a corrupt vote but I will explain that story on another occasion.
WILL NOT BE REMOVED UNTIL:
#1. I have met 10 people worth discussing with on DDO who are not interested in ideological or romantic visions of the world we all live in.
#2. 10 people admit they have no interest in any one else's opinion other than their own.
#3. 10 people admit they are products of their environment and their ideas derive from said environment rather than doing any serious critical thinking and search for answers themselves.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 9:39:13 PM
At 12/27/2014 9:37:04 PM, DarthVitiosus wrote:
At 12/27/2014 9:32:51 PM, whiteflame wrote:

I was not serious so you didn't have to explain yourself lol. I will state that every debate I had with him he complained about someone 's vote(admin & nzlockie as well) so it wasn't only you. My last debate on there, had a corrupt vote but I will explain that story on another occasion.

Heh, so difficult to read joking language on here. Yeah, that guy seriously needs to learn to take criticism, but I won't speak further ill of him here.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 10:45:06 PM
At 12/27/2014 9:47:33 PM, XLAV wrote:
Now the Jews are controlling the Religion forum too...

Damn straight.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 12:09:09 AM
At 12/27/2014 9:23:18 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Thanks everyone! And yes, Mhykiel, I remember you well. Been a while.

I have been stuck between life and the delicious muck of the religious forum. Sometimes when people asking me if I'm new, I respond with "no I usually hang out in the religious forum" I can tell by their reaction they think I am a troll, out from under some bridge.